PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-18-2010, 02:15 PM #1
Csmoore3

Csmoore3 is playing at Living Legends III
A question before MEPS..

So I went and saw the air force recruiter for the first time, a little funny thing I noticed was that out of all the recruiters in the office (army, marines, navy) The air force recruiter was the only one in civilian clothes. Anyway, I talk to her about some stuff I'd like to do, including the jobs that I want. She didn't want to tell me what jobs were available until I took the asvab, for obvious reasons but I didn't complain because I'm pretty deadset on enlisting.

I didn't do amazing on the asvab, but I scored high enough to qualify for all the jobs I was interested in. She now wants me to go to MEPS sometime next week.
While I'm not really intimidated by the fitness part because I already had a flight physical a few months ago, the part I'm worried about is the career planning.

I know enough not to sign anything that doesn't give me a guarantee, and to ask what happens to me if I'm disqualified for any reason during training. But my three major choices are:
1. Imagery Analysis
2. Airborne Linguist
3. Airborne ISR

I'm aware that I'll also have to take the DLAB and my scores on that will determine my other two choices. From what I understand though, the air force is hurting for linguist's, but my first choice would be imagery. Granted I qualify for the linguist job, and I mention it to the career planner, will they completely ignore the fact that Imagery Analysis is my first choice and pressure me into taking the linguist job? I know I can get up and simply walk out if they don't offer me anything I like. But does anyone have any advice that might be able to avoid that?
Csmoore3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-18-2010, 04:22 PM #2
DirtyDave
The Dirty Dave

DirtyDave is a Supporting Member
DirtyDave is reppin' sidebar 4 life
career planner doesn't and shouldn't care what you pick, or even if you sign that day. If there is a job for imagery and its open and you qualify then you'll probably get it.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:11 PM #3
Csmoore3

okay thank you..I was under the impression they do.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:41 PM #4
imp pimp 101
Weekend Warrior

Just refuse to sign until you get the job you want. Provided that you qualify, they'll make it happen.

Forums for NM paintballers are back!

SP arent nazis, their just misunderstood!
imp pimp 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:53 AM #5
SniperForce-Duffek
Delta Farce

SniperForce-Duffek plays in the APPA D5 division
The problem you might run into is, i'm assuming recruiting goals have been exceeded, is that the job you want may not be open. If they aren't they should be open in OCT when the new fiscal year hits. Just something to keep in mind.

"May god have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't."
G.S.P
SniperForce-Duffek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:52 AM #6
Csmoore3

Yeah my brother is an e6 in the navy..not that it matters much when enlisting, but he told me about the jobs opening up when the new year starts. But my recruiter finally gave me the list that is available now, and luckily imagery analysis is one of them.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:16 PM #7
DirtyDave
The Dirty Dave

DirtyDave is a Supporting Member
DirtyDave is reppin' sidebar 4 life
remember though military goes by fiscal year. but glad to hear your jobs open good luck qualifying. and you can always refuse to sign and come back later like someone said. your physical is good for a year.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:27 PM #8
CptObvious
2A755 / 2A753

CptObvious owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
CptObvious supports Bob Gurnsey
The "new year" would be the new fiscal year, which is 01OCT. Really, I'd say go for linguist. Even if money isn't your motivation, you'll make a crap ton if you can pass all the tests and training for each language you know. (And you'd have to know it well).
Headbangers on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by: The Vest Guy || ANS Gear || Pinokio Hoppers || St!ffi Barrels || ChroniX Radio
CptObvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:41 PM #9
Csmoore3

yeah, I've actually already visited the school in Monterey and honestly, it's one of the reasons why it's my top three. i fell in love with that place while visiting my cousin who went there. I just know it's a lot of hard work and well, scary things happen if you fail out >.<
Old 07-19-2010, 01:48 PM #10
CptObvious
2A755 / 2A753

CptObvious supports Bob Gurnsey
Yep, you either A) train to sit on a flightline all day or B) train to serve food.
Headbangers on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by: The Vest Guy || ANS Gear || Pinokio Hoppers || St!ffi Barrels || ChroniX Radio
CptObvious is offline   Reply With Quote