Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-15-2010, 03:56 PM #1
GJ Pain
is chill

GJ Pain plays in the PSP
GJ Pain supports Team VICIOUS
Avsab

What exactly does my score mean? The recruiter was pretty vague when it came to explaining it to me. Is it just to weed out recruits or does it have anything to do with my job placement?

I'm signing National Guard through a SMP with my school's ROTC program if that makes a difference.

Last edited by GJ Pain : 07-15-2010 at 04:03 PM.
GJ Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2010, 04:01 PM #2
billy1234
pew pew

avsab.
you will NEVER be forgotten
billy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:02 PM #3
GJ Pain
is chill

GJ Pain plays in the PSP
****.. Just noticed that.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:03 PM #4
Ciley Myrus

http://www.militaryanswerstoeverything.com/Recruiting/RecruitersOnly/Lies/ASVAB
Ciley Myrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:04 PM #5
Death_Taco
Come at me bro.

has been a member for 10 years
If you do ROTC, you auto score a 110 on your ASVAB because they assume you're smart. SMP means you will probably fetch coffee or papers for your CO or a LT.

You will be an officer, and officers do not take the ASVAB. Anyone who told you to take the test is probably trying to trick you to enlist or something.

srsly, you don't need it.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:07 PM #6
Death_Taco
Come at me bro.

You don't do SMP through JROTC. SMP is Simultaneous Membership Program - ie you do NG drill and such while being in ROTC. Non deployable but will be NG locked after commissioning.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:07 PM #7
GJ Pain
is chill

GJ Pain plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death_Taco View Post
If you do ROTC, you auto score a 110 on your ASVAB because they assume you're smart. SMP means you will probably fetch coffee or papers for your CO or a LT.

You will be an officer, and officers do not take the ASVAB. Anyone who told you to take the test is probably trying to trick you to enlist or something.

srsly, you don't need it.
Damn. All that was just a waste of time. Whatever.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:07 PM #8
Death_Taco
Come at me bro.

If you're trying to do the flight test, you will however have to take the AFAST.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:12 PM #9
GJ Pain
is chill

GJ Pain plays in the PSP
Thanks, but if I needed directory assistance I'd call 411. lol

Quote:
You don't do SMP through JROTC. SMP is Simultaneous Membership Program - ie you do NG drill and such while being in ROTC. Non deployable but will be NG locked after commissioning.
I'm not in JROTC.. I was told I will have to go through basic training, but after that, I receive drill pay for once a month drilling while they help take care of my tuition all while still involved with the Mizzou's ROTC.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:15 PM #10
Ciley Myrus

Sounds like they want you to do what my battle buddy in BCT was doing. Enlisting, picking an MOS where they college credit equivalency was relatively high, after AIT, having non deployable status in the contract, then After AIT starting in a ROTC program to become an officer, while doing drill once a month and your 2 weeks in the summer.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:24 PM #11
Death_Taco
Come at me bro.

I think you need to figure out what you're doing dude. Sounds like you have zero clue what you've actually agreed to.

SMP usually means you're locked into NG - but you should make sure you know what you signed.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:28 PM #12
GJ Pain
is chill

GJ Pain plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciley Myrus View Post
Sounds like they want you to do what my battle buddy in BCT was doing. Enlisting, picking an MOS where they college credit equivalency was relatively high, after AIT, having non deployable status in the contract, then After AIT starting in a ROTC program to become an officer, while doing drill once a month and your 2 weeks in the summer.
Sounds almost identical to what my recruiter is trying to do. Does anyone know if this is a desirable path? I was wondering if there were any alternatives to still get the benefits as soon as possible without missing next semester to go through basic.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:29 PM #13
GJ Pain
is chill

GJ Pain plays in the PSP
Quote:
Sounds like you have zero clue what you've actually agreed to.

SMP usually means you're locked into NG - but you should make sure you know what you signed.
You're right. That's why I'm on here right now. I also haven't signed anything yet.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:32 PM #14
Ciley Myrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ Pain View Post
Sounds almost identical to what my recruiter is trying to do. Does anyone know if this is a desirable path? I was wondering if there were any alternatives to still get the benefits as soon as possible without missing next semester to go through basic.
WHen he told me this I was like "WHAT YOU CAN DO THAT?" and then he was like LOL YEAH MY DAD WAS MY RECRUITER
Old 07-15-2010, 04:52 PM #15
Death_Taco
Come at me bro.

Quote:
You're right. That's why I'm on here right now. I also haven't signed anything yet.
1) What are your goals? Officer or enlisted?
2) Are you currently enrolled in ROTC? If so what year?
3) Have you signed ANYTHING?
Old 07-15-2010, 05:57 PM #16
xFortune (Banned)
Tremble little lion man

I think the best question here is....are you MOSTLY doing it for college money?

If so, don't do SMP and just do NG/AR
xFortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:26 PM #17
GJ Pain
is chill

GJ Pain plays in the PSP
Quote:
1) What are your goals? Officer or enlisted?
2) Are you currently enrolled in ROTC? If so what year?
3) Have you signed ANYTHING?
1. I want to be an Officer as a means to pay for college.
2. I'll be a sophomore, entering the ROTC program for the first year. It's next to impossible to get a regular Army ROTC scholarship as a sophomore because they reserve all of those for incoming freshman.
3. I have signed the ASVAB test thing. That's all. No contracts.

http://www.nationalguard.com/benefit...d-scholarships

The DEDNG w/ SMP was my ideal path that I wanted to follow. Is the recruiter just trying to get me to enlist to fill a quota?
Old 07-16-2010, 03:32 PM #18
xFortune (Banned)
Tremble little lion man

Do you REALLY want to be in the military and become an officer and do all that hooah leader soldier stuff?

Or, would you just like some money to help with the burden of college and experience something new and different?
xFortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:38 PM #19
Death_Taco
Come at me bro.

Quote:
1. I want to be an Officer as a means to pay for college.
2. I'll be a sophomore, entering the ROTC program for the first year. It's next to impossible to get a regular Army ROTC scholarship as a sophomore because they reserve all of those for incoming freshman.
3. I have signed the ASVAB test thing. That's all. No contracts.

http://www.nationalguard.com/benefit...d-scholarships

The DEDNG w/ SMP was my ideal path that I wanted to follow. Is the recruiter just trying to get me to enlist to fill a quota?
1) Wrong answer. You will be leading Soldiers. If you're in it for money you're gonna be a ****ty officer. I suggest you think real hard if you need money for college, or if you actually want the responsibility of leading Soldiers and being responsible for their well-being.
2) So you're a freshman doing a 4-year scholarship?
3) If you are doing #2. As in you are enrolling into the ROTC program through scholarship - you do NOT need to take the ASVAB. Your ROTC program should have a NG Liaison NCO/Officer. I suggest you talk to them about SMP rather than a recruiter, as they will take any chance to F*&# you.

The only contract you should be signing is the ROTC enrollment contract. SMP can be done at anytime during ROTC.

But I strongly suggest you fix yourself mentally. All the people I know who did ROTC for $$$ sucked *** and were the biggest douchebags on Earth cause all they cared about were themselves. You want money, take out a loan. You want to lead Soldiers then be an officer.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:06 PM #20
berserker19

berserker19 is an NCPA player
wow you want to be in the army to pay for college... do us a favor, get some student loans and stay the **** out of the military.
berserker19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:31 PM #21
bnctaj

...I don't know why you seem to believe they reserve all army scholarships for freshmen...