PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-12-2010, 08:42 PM #1
Chuckasaurus
Giggity

Chuckasaurus plays in the APPA D4 division
My G4 review

Dangerous Power has retired their venerable G3, and it has been replaced with the all new G4.

I have owned three G3 SE markers, and two G3 Spec-R markers, that I used for tournament play. My team has had a lot of G3s and Spec-Rs that we used for tournament play, and I’m as familiar with the G3 as anyone. I was really anxious to see how the new G4 stacked up to the G3, and was very excited to learn that DP was going to allow me to test a new G4, and provide a review for everyone.

I made an unboxing video, so you can see what the G4 looks like, and what it comes with:

The video didn't turn out as clear as I had hoped, so here are some pictures of the G4, which might give you a better idea of how good it looks (the APE OLED was already installed when I took these pics):

I want to start this review by talking about the bad……

The G4 doesn’t come with an Allen key for the adjustment screw on the regulator. So, if you want to adjust the velocity, you have to go buy an Allen key that fits your adjustment screw. This is a boneheaded oversight by DP, which they should immediately fix.

When I first took the G4 out and tried to shoot it, I couldn’t get it to fire. Nothing I did would make it fire more than a few balls at a time. After I was unable to adjust the problem out of the marker, I remembered that every time I use Dangerous Power's lubricant (DP 40), I have serious problems with bolt stick. So, keeping this in mind, I cleaned the DP 40 lube off of the bolt, and out of the breech, and applied some TechT GunSav to the bolt, put it back in the marker, and it shot just fine. I put over 2000 balls through the G4 without any problems whatsoever. So, the first thing you need to do when you take your G4 out of the box, is wipe the lube off of the bolt and out of the breech, and apply some good lube to the bolt.

The nut on the clamping feedneck would not stay tight. It would come unscrewed as I was shooting the marker, and allow the hopper to swivel around. You can see the hopper doing this in my efficiency test video. I've never had that happen with a DP marker, and it may just be a nut that wasn't made to the same tolerances as the rest of them. I put a little bit of teflon tape on the threads of the clamping feedneck lever, and that fixed the problem. Not a major issue, but it's something that someone else may encounter, and need to know how to fix.

Now for the good…….

The G4 looks much better in person than it does in the pictures that I’ve seen, and I think it looks better than the G3. The eye covers look much better than the G3 eye covers. All in all, I think the G4 is a good looking marker. I really like the color of my red/silver G4. It has a burgundy hue to it, that really looks good. The finish is a dust finish, that has sort of a textured feel to it. I really like the finish of the marker. I know that it’s less expensive to anodize a marker in a dust finish, but this thing still seemed to feel like a more expensive marker than even the G3 SE.

The new spring loaded regulator is pretty nice. I put it on the chrono, and it was shooting pretty much 283-290. That isn’t bad for a brand new reg, that isn’t broken in yet. I’m sure the consistency will improve as it gets used.

The new trigger is phenomenal! I love it! I used the CP trigger on all three of my G3 SE’s, and none of them felt as good as the G4 trigger. The G4 has the same 3 way adjustable trigger as the Spec-R, and I simply love the adjustability that you get with that.

The microswitch board appears to be the same board that comes in the Spec-R, and it works very well. I’m so glad to see that DP completely did away with the optical board. I really like the feel of a microswitch. The board was easy to set up, and I had no problems programming it to shoot the way that I wanted. The only problem that I had with the board is that it doesn’t have fractional balls per second settings. The tournament series that I compete in require 12.5 bps, and I can only set the G4 to shoot 12 bps. That may not sound like a big deal, but think about it like this…..if a 5 man team is shooting 12.5 bps instead of 12 bps, that’s an extra 20 balls in the first 8 seconds of the match. Think about that in the scope of the entire match, and having the fractional bps settings gives you an advantage over a team whose guns don’t have that. The fact that DP didn’t include that is not really a deal breaker, because 7th Element and Tadao don’t include fractional bps setting on their aftermarket boards. But it would still be nice to see DP include that in the G4 board settings.

The G4 has pretty much the same one piece barrel that came with the G3. It’s reasonably accurate, but most people are going to upgrade the barrel the first chance they get.

The G4 utilizes the same gripframe that the Spec-R uses, so that means that all of the upgrade boards made for the Spec-R will work in the G4. I already installed the APE OLED in my G4, and I love the way it works with the G4. I’m so glad to see that DP didn’t change the gripframe, and force me to wait for APE to design a board to work with it.

The G4 uses the same o-ring-less bolt as the Spec-R, so it gets great air efficiency, has a lighter recoil than the G3, and has no o-rings to worry about.

I conducted an efficiency test, and was able to shoot 9 ½ pods of paint through the G4 using a 68/4500 tank filled to 4000 psi. That is simply amazing! Here’s a video for the doubters:

The G4 is a nice evolution of the G3. It’s better looking than the G3, comes with a microswitch board, 3 way adjustable trigger, spring loaded regulator, and extremely air efficient o-ring-less bolt design.

For less than $300, you can buy a marker that is truly tournament ready. That is simply amazing.

I would highly recommend the G4 to anyone looking for a tournament ready marker, but who has a limited budget. The G4 may just be the best deal in paintball right now.

Last edited by Chuckasaurus : 07-12-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Chuckasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2010, 08:50 PM #2
marcusgar21

very nice...

YETIPB.com
For Custom Delrin Triggers PM Me...

Sponsored by: DP, CP, TechT, ANSGear.com
marcusgar21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:03 PM #3
Darkh2o
DPOTer since 2007

Great review Chuck! You are making the decision even harder now.

And now for the question alot of people want the answer to...

which would you prefer, the G4 or Spec-R? And why?

I'm not Old, everyone else is "New".
Darkh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:05 PM #4
Snake2715

has been a member for 10 years
Good review Chuck.
>Ice White G3
DP Fusion Green LE #31/50

LOOK HERE ///RAPS REBUILD THREAD\\\
Snake2715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:13 PM #5
stucker8992

stucker8992 is for the Gunfight
stucker8992 supports our troops
stucker8992 plays in the APPA D4 division
stucker8992 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Talking

Haha, I have the same marker and I love it. I haven't had the screw on the feedneck problem with my rotor but at the same time I had to sand it down a hair to fit snug like I like. The first night I played with it, we played like 10 5 min rec games and I still had a good 1000 psi left from a 4000 fill. At one of the fields there is a alittle game we play its to see who can hit the top of the flagpole in the shortest amount of shots. Usually it takes me between 5 and 8 with my old etek. G4 3rd shot, love it. Already got some barrels coming in and going to prep them for anno, can't wait.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:14 PM #6
jkral

love it... looks like it shoots real nice... but honestly cant stand how the hopper is swiveling around like that... annoying the hell out of me haha... but i like
jkral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:50 PM #7
rottensquad07
Peter Griffin = HERO

has been a member for 10 years
Good review Chuck! Thanks for taking the time to make the videos and give the review of the marker. I know your information and opinion means a lot to many of the guys on this forum.

-violet/silver DP G3SE-

-purple/black LE Fusion-
rottensquad07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:57 PM #8
swedishfishh

swedishfishh posts videos on PbNation
swedishfishh plays in the APPA D4 division
Chuck, I demand you hand it over to me at once!

M.I.L.F. Hunters 4 Life
swedishfishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:00 PM #9
Chuckasaurus
Giggity

Chuckasaurus plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishfishh View Post
Chuck, I demand you hand it over to me at once!
Checks in the mail.....I mean G4's in the mail.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:17 PM #10
swedishfishh

Thank you. I shall inform you when I receive it.

M.I.L.F. Hunters 4 Life
Old 07-12-2010, 10:27 PM #11
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

firefoxx04 supports Bob Gurnsey
firefoxx04 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckasaurus View Post
Checks in the mail.....I mean G4's in the mail.
.. wait, you sent him the g4?

and the g4 shoots very nicely. for $300 it cant be beat

Last edited by firefoxx04 : 07-12-2010 at 10:29 PM.
firefoxx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:27 PM #12
swedishfishh

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefoxx04 View Post
.. wait, you sent him the g4?
Yes sir. He sends me markers, I send him underage trailer trash. It is a vicious cycle... But it has to be done.

M.I.L.F. Hunters 4 Life
Old 07-12-2010, 11:08 PM #13
SN!PE
"The bear Jew..."

SN!PE supports Team VICIOUS
SN!PE is for the Gunfight
How many balls in the pods? 9 pods could vary alot: 120 round pods, 140 round pods, etc.

It's Mr. Gun!!
SN!PE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:20 PM #14
n0rth

n0rth is playing at Living Legends V
n0rth has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
n0rth has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
might want to edit your youtube video description (400psi should be 4000psi). Other than that, thanks a lot, can't wait till mine shows up tomorrow.
n0rth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:08 AM #15
ihvep8nt4u
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN!PE View Post
How many balls in the pods? 9 pods could vary alot: 120 round pods, 140 round pods, etc.
yeah I get 150 in my pods, so yeah how many balls specificly.
good review by the way. From what you posted yesterday i was kind of worried about the g4.

ihvep8nt4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:31 AM #16
snowboardgeek1

snowboardgeek1 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
snowboardgeek1 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
snowboardgeek1 supports Team VICIOUS
Good job Chuck. Glad you confirmed my past statements that the G4's trigger is probably the best trigger that DP has ever released for a gun. Its feel is excellent.

Now the bottom line question - Will you be selling the G4's with the Ape OLED hookup
snowboardgeek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:50 AM #17
Cheese Man 808

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboardgeek1 View Post
Good job Chuck. Glad you confirmed my past statements that the G4's trigger is probably the best trigger that DP has ever released for a gun. Its feel is excellent.

Now the bottom line question - Will you be selling the G4's with the Ape OLED hookup
I forward this motion.
Cheese Man 808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:09 AM #18
xmc1146
Mount Vernon, Wa

xmc1146 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
xmc1146 is for the Gunfight
xmc1146 owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
great job chuck.. you're my idol! just remember to talk slow and record your conversation to those retards at DP. they might not remember what you talked about and forget that the allen key for the reg is a must!.

i got a couple of questions though about the barrel, is the g4 stock barrel a control bore 14" or a step up? and what bore size?
xmc1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:29 AM #19
Blitchy

Annual Supporting Member
Blitchy helped look for balloons
Blitchy owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Blitchy supports Team VICIOUS
Blitchy supports Team VICIOUS
Blitchy is for the Gunfight
Blitchy is attending Decay of Nations VI
good review chuck but tadao boards do have fractional bps...
Blitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:00 AM #20
seriouslysilly

seriouslysilly owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
seriouslysilly owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
seriouslysilly posts videos on PbNation
seriouslysilly has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
thanks for the review
seriouslysilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:18 AM #21
phillysteve
Theft Patrol

Annual Supporting Member
phillysteve is a Moderator
phillysteve is Legendary
Cool review, sucks that your feedneck is being a whore though.

Trigger being that nice sounds like a lot of people will be very happy to save some money not having to aftermarket the trigger.

The reg being that nice out of the box made my head spin.

No allen key to adjust the reg is just ridiculous, I cannot believe DP would miss this. Regardless I would hope most people already have an allen key set. I am sure quiet a few people will flip **** over this though. I hope DP sends allen keys to all their sellers so this issue is fixed quickly.

Looks like the G4 may not be that bad of a gun. I think the reg is the backbone of the marker.

On a side note, what did you have your dwell and return set to? What is the stock dwell and return on the G4?

Its unfair to say the marker shoots XYZ out of the box when it really didn't considering your put a new board on it with a adjusted dwell and return. Out of the box efficency will probably be less since the box dwell and return are probably high.
phillysteve is offline   Reply With Quote