Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-12-2010, 01:31 PM #22
eckolwarlock

eckolwarlock is playing at Living Legends VI
eckolwarlock owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
eckolwarlock supports Team VICIOUS
eckolwarlock supports DLX Technology
Speaking from a customer point of view, I would like to add a few things. Here in Michigan, I have an indoor field right around the corner from my house.

I love the fact of year round paintball. Right when you walk in you go around the corner and there is a very large staging area. It is also clean there.

As far as the fields they have, they have a speedball field and a hyperball (barrelgrounds is whats its called).

Here is my main complaint about the field. They NEVER clean the fields. I mean piles of paint and shell have piled up in front of the bunkers and the turf has now become sticky and hard to run and slide in. So all I am saying is, please put in effort to keep the fields decent.
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2010, 01:41 PM #23
generalee72
Knight who says Ni

generalee72 is a Moderator
generalee72 is a Supporting Member
generalee72 donated to help Peyton Trent
generalee72 supports our troops
generalee72 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
generalee72 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Well assuming you are looking at supair's site, or the PSP's site then you are getting the "official" bunkers from them. If you're trying to be official then getting them used at an event is one of the best ways to do it. Save some money and still get the warranty, as far as the best way to do it, that depends on the "big fat bill" vs what it will cost you to do it.

If you are not looking to be "official" and just want some good bunker airups is a good direction to look.

Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. –Lou Holtz (via-John Maxwell)

Advice for the thread: "how to open a paintball store"
NastyShock3r: hey guy's i live in miami i need help to open a paintball store can anyone help or can tell me what i need to do?
midstatepaintball: That's easy! Just push on the front door of the store if it says "push", or pull on the door if it says "pull".
generalee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:49 PM #24
DA-FENTCH00
WHAT DA FENTCH?

right now im just looking for decent bunkers. and to drive all the way out to CA. pack it all up and drive back. id rather see the bill from them first and ill see.. im always down for a road trip... and yes my entire shop and field will be well maintained. bathrooms too.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:24 PM #25
Skipdogg

PSP MAO event is coming up and is much closer to NY. maybe work out a deal with them to get some of the bunkers their using, after the event. I would say used bunkers are a better deal than new. assuming the used ones still hold air, etc. With so many fields out of business, I'm sure you could find plenty of used ones.
Skipdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:31 PM #26
pennaboy

pennaboy is BST Trusted
pennaboy owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
pennaboy owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I run a speedball field in STX and have over 80 of the airups and some if not most are almost three years old as long as you clean them they will last. For the money and warranty airups is worth every penny if you want pm me if interested I also handle his sales into Mexico and can help you out.
Off topic I orginally from the Pittston area good to see someone from the area trying to do something like this, good luck.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:42 PM #27
Sand6452
Lainway Sports Rep

Annual Supporting Member
Sand6452 plays in the PSP
Sand6452 supports Bob Gurnsey
Sand6452 is an NCPA player
As it has been mentioned a couple times, LIGHTING. People enjoy being able to see and clean turf/playing surface is a most. And if your plan works out I shall be there a lot seeing as how that is the K-mart plaza...(right?) Either way it's close. Shoot me a pm if you go for real and I could help/enlist friends/team as well. Good day and good luck

Tom
Sand6452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:45 PM #28
generalee72
Knight who says Ni

generalee72 is a Moderator
generalee72 is a Supporting Member
generalee72 donated to help Peyton Trent
generalee72 supports our troops
generalee72 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
generalee72 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Yea, like skip said you can get the same deal at any of the big events, they sell "used" bunkers after every event. PSP's MAO event is August 13 – 15 at PBC Sport Park held in Rock Hill, South Carolina, it's only a month away but from the looks of supairs site there are fields still avaliable.

Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. –Lou Holtz (via-John Maxwell)

Advice for the thread: "how to open a paintball store"
NastyShock3r: hey guy's i live in miami i need help to open a paintball store can anyone help or can tell me what i need to do?
midstatepaintball: That's easy! Just push on the front door of the store if it says "push", or pull on the door if it says "pull".
generalee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:05 PM #29
LordOderus

I found this site on pbnation awhile ago in some thread.

http://www.mightysports.com/index-mp.php

Several people were interested in picking up just one or two of the bunkers (like the tank) but it wasn't worth it considering the shipping. For one of the whole field setups, I'm sure the shipping would be higher, but more sensible.

I don't know the quality of the bunkers, but they have a big variety and aren't that pricey for full field setups.

Also, I know where that building is. I go past it every week. I go to Heroesworld Comics in Milford PA every Friday. If you open a paintball field there, I will have to stop in :-)

*edit* Now that I am looking, most of those fields have free shipping to the US. If the bunkers are halfway decent, it really might be worth it.

Last edited by LordOderus : 07-12-2010 at 04:20 PM. Reason: stumbled on more info related to my post
LordOderus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:02 PM #30
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
If you are interested in a used PSP field, definitely give SupAir a call. They're basically new fields with a couple days of play on them; the only catch is you have to pack them up yourself. And since PSP went to the yellow fill this year, there's a lot less gunk on the used fields than there used to be (with the orange fill you'd end up with lots of the white residue.)

On the lighting note for indoor fields, don't forget to factor in how much it will cost to keep the lights on. If you're going to keep the field brightly lit, your hourly power bill is going to be in the dollars to tens of dollars depending how you do it and your local rates.

Very easy expense to not realize you have until you have it.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:06 PM #31
crlucky

You could get all of your questions answered with one stop. From professionals in the sport not kids playing the game. You need to go to Paintball Extravaganza which is coming up.

PAINTBALL EXTRAVAGANZA INTERNATIONAL
Hyatt Regency Orange County
September 14 - 16, 2010
Anaheim, California

This is just for stores and fields with people just like you from around the world attending. Some of the top names in paintball are their to answer your questions. These guys I know will be there...Mike Peverill, founder of Pev's Paintball; Johnny Postorivo from KEE Action Sports and Evan Money, President of Money Paintball. Add to that over 50 vendors and classes on everything from legal to POS systems to tech classes. It's the not to miss event for store and field owners. Registration opened yesterday.

http://pb-events.com/index.php
crlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:56 AM #32
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
Personally, I wouldn't even bother with an airball field for an indoor. Unless you want to only attract speedballers, in which case you'll go broke. It's ok to have one as a secondary option but your main field should be geared towards rec ball if you want to make any money. Airball is expensive and high maintenance.

One awsome field I know of has an indoor city type of field but all the buildings and stuff are on wheels. Once a week they wheel everything off to the sides and set up airball for the speedball players. Then they take it down and wheel everything back out into rec mode. It's pretty cool because they can also change the rec layout around as often as they'd like. It's pretty quick to do as well.

ETEK 3LT, with 14" Ti boomstick and cure 3 + bolt F/S

Vanguard creed eyes, membrane, bolt pin, detents, gaskets, schraders, orings and more F/s[/color]

Old school angel poppets/cup seals(LCD and A4/speed), spring detents(not sure which models) F/S
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:25 AM #33
GatSplat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MstrKey View Post
Personally, I wouldn't even bother with an airball field for an indoor. Unless you want to only attract speedballers,
We use all air ball field, and our field is geared toward the rec player. At the end of the day, someone wants to shoot a gun, and hide behind something. Based on our experience, it does not matter if what they are hiding behind looks like a boat, and airplane, a tree, a space ship, a western jail, or an inflatable square. It's just cover for them to shoot from.

And you cannot build a bunker as cheap as an inflatable... I had way more money in building coffins, jail, saloon, covered wagons, etc than a full airball field would cost. And air bunkers will give you lots of bounces, which is the key to a clean field... don't break the paint... have nets, bunkers, etc that will stop the balls from breaking... much easier to clean. We tossed our hard wood "western town" bunkers after learning that the hard (and expensive) way.

air bunkers, we can take outside, power wash off, clean the turf, bring bunkers back in... very quickly, with limited man power. Look how many posts talk about a clean facility above... and air bunkers make that easier, and we are very geared toward the 12 year old birthday party, and while we get some tourney guys, the rec crowd is dominant at our field, even with the air bunkers.

Paintball Field Reservation & Digital Waiver System.
3 Months Free! No set up fees! Then just $50 / month.
GatSplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:32 AM #34
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatSplat View Post
We use all air ball field, and our field is geared toward the rec player. At the end of the day, someone wants to shoot a gun, and hide behind something. Based on our experience, it does not matter if what they are hiding behind looks like a boat, and airplane, a tree, a space ship, a western jail, or an inflatable square. It's just cover for them to shoot from.
I've always said this as well. Although I would argue that a cool looking scenario field will make a better first impression for marketing purposes, for an indoor, whatever can be done to have less paint actually break on walls and bunkers is a big plus. Airball bunkers that actually look like real objects would be best, in my opinion (for an indoor).
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:52 PM #35
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
I agree that people will still play on it, but I know back in the day when I worked at an indoor a lot of people were disappoitned with the airball bunkers. They want to hide and sneak around which you just can't really do much of with airball. Plus the things were always springing leaks, and needing to be aired up. Rec players don't shoot as much but they like to jump on the things all the time which can be hard on the inflatables.

I agree a wooden building is more expensive to start but it will last 20 times longer. A new airball field isn't cheap either. & grand can buy quite a bit of low grade lumber if you do it properly.
You are right about the cleanup, I won't argue that but rec ballers don't shoot all that much paint, and with a lot of good playable space and hiding spots the build up will be spread out a lot more.

I like those mighty paintball rec inflatables.......they're cool. Not sure I trust the quality though.

ETEK 3LT, with 14" Ti boomstick and cure 3 + bolt F/S

Vanguard creed eyes, membrane, bolt pin, detents, gaskets, schraders, orings and more F/s[/color]

Old school angel poppets/cup seals(LCD and A4/speed), spring detents(not sure which models) F/S
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:10 PM #36
GatSplat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MstrKey View Post
I agree a wooden building is more expensive to start but it will last 20 times longer.
I have some of the same air bunkers for 4 years now... wood bunkers didn't last a year as the paintball grease soaks into them and starts them rotting... And this was not cheap lumber.

We used all pressure treated wood, then coated them with 3 coats of Thomspsons water seal, then 3 coats of polyurethane... and still, they turned into smelly, stinky, rotting things withing the first year.

After having done it.... I would not do wood, or any other hard surface that will case the paintball to break.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:18 PM #37
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
The vast majority of issues with airball fields are only issues outside - wind putting stress on fasteners, sun bleaching them out, stretching the seams when they get hotter and the air in them expands... if oyu're indoors, airball bunkers are perfect.

If you want players to have the opportunity to sneak around, you need to up the density of bunkers on the field. Stick 60-70 of them on a regulation RaceTo field and there will be a lot more sneaking.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:41 PM #38
sal briguglio

sal briguglio is a Supporting Member
sal briguglio is playing at Living Legends III
sal briguglio is playing at Living Legends V
Let me start by saying I have absolutely NO experience with what works or doesn't work for bunkers at an indoor facility, BUT, taking into consideration the previous posts prompts me to ask this question:

If you are focusing on recreational players, what would be wrong with using treated lumber for FRAMES and stretching some type of vinyl, cloth, etc, over the frames to make bunkers with? I would assume with some creativity one could design and build some interesting shapes of varying sizes.

I would think paintballs would bounce off these as they would airball bunkers without the hassle of blowing the bunkers up constantly.

Sal.
Proud member of the Master Blasters Traveling Road Show
Proud Supporter of DAN COLBY.
sal briguglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:30 PM #39
GatSplat

With wood frames, you would still have hard edges... paintballs would break when they hit there, that will be at the edges, where people are hiding and shooting the most... Hard objects to hit, and run into... The cost of making those will probably be higher than just buying a bunker, they will not look as good, they will be harder to move for cleaning, and if you have good bunkers indoors... you inflate them in the morning... and play all day.

Perhaps on a long day, some of the older bunkers, we may have to blow up a bit more... but this takes seconds.

And actually, we used PVC pipe bent to make a frame for billboard material to make the top of a covered wagon... and paintballs went through the material. The secret is stuff that is not stiff, so there is a rebound.. like an air bunker that is not all the way inflated.

Last edited by GatSplat : 07-14-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:19 PM #40
DA-FENTCH00
WHAT DA FENTCH?

Well, i can run two fields in the location, one will be set up for air ball, the other is set for like an urban tactical type deal, humvee houses barrels stacked the works, so u have a choice, speed ball or tactical type. as for lighting i have a few ideas in mind, im still waiting to hear from the owner if he is continuing to build what he is going to build, or let me open up. tho if i cant open up there there is a place i can build behind the kmart or use the old farm next door to perkins. this way i can run indoor and out door and have pro shop with alot more room. and all next to each other and out of the way. and if i do get to open up if you guys want to stop on by and give some input that would be cool too. ill know with in a few weeks so lets keep our fingers crossed and hopefully we will all be shooting each other up soon enough.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:27 PM #41
DA-FENTCH00
WHAT DA FENTCH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand6452 View Post
As it has been mentioned a couple times, LIGHTING. People enjoy being able to see and clean turf/playing surface is a most. And if your plan works out I shall be there a lot seeing as how that is the K-mart plaza...(right?) Either way it's close. Shoot me a pm if you go for real and I could help/enlist friends/team as well. Good day and good luck

Tom
yes the west falls plaza with big kmart and the other stores... its an ideal place, this way the parents can go shopping. plus the pizza place is right next door. and everything else is not to far either. saw that and i knew i had to open up a shop there. better then a dumb movie theater. got one in homsdale and middletown.. paintball is the right place for that. did you play at my uncles?
Old 07-15-2010, 12:32 PM #42
DA-FENTCH00
WHAT DA FENTCH?

and id rather not use wood, idk about you id rather run and trip and fall on air bunkers then to split my head open or worse on a wooden edge, plus parents will see that and that will be a big turn off... plus they are heavy and the coast of lumber is just out of this world. + hard to move around, air bunkers on a air blow up field is perfect. with some astro turf and some bright lights up top ( i will add solar panels up on the roof to help keep the cost down + its a right off) and every one can now, see and play in a clean environment, and enjoy the day/night. rather it be paintball or the laser tag.