PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-28-2010, 11:56 AM #1
PMC Unknown
E-14 Zealot

MacDev Drone: On the Ropes...

Been playing paintball for about 7 years. Owned Tippmann garbage, then bought an SP-1 and loved it. Since Smart Parts crapped and I cannot get RMAs for the board, I sold off my arsenal. At the moment I am marker-less and need something new. I'd like something scenario-looking, but most importantly I want something with rails so I can mount my QLoader.

I've heard a few bad things about the Drone: solenoid issues, cheap aluminum, breaks paint, etc. Is this true? I really am feeling a bit good about the Drone and feel it is a bit more refined than that. So can anyone give me some input about this marker? Also, will it take my QLoader? Or is that too harsh of a feeding system to use on it?

Seriously, if this marker doesn't work I'm out of paintball.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:17 PM #2
Boomer14

Check out the FAQ: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3310016

Really, are you basing your enjoyment of the sport on a specific marker? I can't imagine any marker being perfect in every respect. The Drone will take some normal maintenance, and it will take some getting used to coming from a Tippman or SP1. You don't just throw this thing in the gear bag at the end of the day, take it out with three weeks later with the old paint still in it, and pull the trigger.

Now for the questions:
I have never seen a q-loader on a Drone, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

There is nothing cheap about the Drone. At this time, it is one of the only all metal, milled markers out there that doesn't use cheap castings and plastic. It is far better quality than any "milsim" marker on the market that I've seen.

The Drone does not break paint more than any other marker. Last Saturday I shot four cases through one without a break. I was underbored with a .679 barrel back too. Like any high end marker, it does not like cheap paint, and it does need an occasional bit of TLC to ensure that it cycles correctly.

The solenoid on the Drone works great in moderate weather. As of this time, none that I have seen will work properly below 45 degrees F. Macdev is aware of this.

Hope this helps.
Boomer14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:39 PM #3
PMC Unknown
E-14 Zealot

Yeah, read the FAQ. Good info, but not enough.

I'm not basing my game upon this marker, I am just tired of the constant changes in them. Earlier, my game evolved so I needed something competitive; now I am looking for something because Smart Parts took a deuce and left me hanging.

I'm just tired. I'm 33 and love the sport, but have invested a ton of money/time and really just want to find something that I'm going to like. I know all markers are glitchy, I can deal with that, but I want something that is going to work.

Looks like I am going to throw my lot in with the Drone, I hope it doesn't fail to impress.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:41 AM #4
Krazy8
User Defined

has been a member for 10 years
Every single person I have had shoot the Drone comes back smiling. Everyone.

The thing is great to shoot. The select fire option is mind blowing when you really need to use it.
Cheap aluminum..no. The entire body is milled. The rails simply will not fail since they are not atatched with screws...they are part of the gun. Probably the toughest milsim I have seen to date.

Internally the blody thing is a breeze to clean.

eddahenry had a Qloader on his Drone for a bit...seemed to work just fine.

Boomer14 has to be the one person in the USA with the most time served on the Drone.
He is the guy to talk in reguards to any question you might have.

Krazy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:33 PM #5
PMC Unknown
E-14 Zealot

How easy/hard is it to contact MacDev? RMAs?
Old 06-29-2010, 06:00 PM #6
Purkel

Purkel owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
just buy extra o-rings and lube for your bolt... honestly, there's not much else that could go wrong.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:51 PM #7
PMC Unknown
E-14 Zealot

Alright, well, I bought one. I bought one not because I believe it to be a good marker. Some things about it I already don't like, but I'm going through with it.

I simply could not quit paintball. I went and did some research on Airsoft, maybe looking to get into some other type of milsim gaming, but that is absolutely pathetic.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:49 PM #8
Denegra
ESFM

Denegra owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Denegra plays in the APPA beginner division
To address your concern with MacDev customer service. They are one of the best to deal with imho.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:59 AM #9
Krazy8
User Defined

OK..so after the teststerone explosion....

What did you find that you did not like? I have owned a few Drones and might be able to address some of your concerns.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:47 AM #10
PMC Unknown
E-14 Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy8 View Post
OK..so after the teststerone explosion....

What did you find that you did not like? I have owned a few Drones and might be able to address some of your concerns.
Well, I heard that the grips are made of a poor compound. And with the lack of aftermarket parts for the MacDevs, I am worried about having to rebuy the same grip. I'd rather buy a durable part and forget about it.

The trigger is not able to be tuned. I like my triggers (as everyone) to be set a certain way. I have heard that the Droid trigger will fit on the Drone, but I know nothing of this trigger - whether it can be tuned (I'll look at the FAQ again).

I have a few minor concerns that are not worth mentioning, so when I get the thing in my hands I'll go from there.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:58 AM #11
Krazy8
User Defined

The grips on the Drones are pretty good. Yes they are a soft compound and the sharp edges tend to wear off quickly but they do not fall apart.
MacDev now has an M4 style stock available for the Drone and Boommer14 developed his own stock as well...you can see that one in his pictures.

I was a bit freaked out by the trigger when I saw it the first time as well. I too want a finite trigger set by me.
Then I aired up the gun and shot it. The trigger is perfect....without any need to be tuned. I can not explain why but it simply works.
If you really are the type of person that must change something on the gun, then yes the trigger on the Drone is compatible with any trigger from the '06 Cyborg, Droid, and RX Cyborgs....as well as after market triggers made for those aforementioned models.
I personally installed and shot....Stock Droid, Stock Cyborg ('06, '07, RX), PBK (Sabre, Blade, Sythe), VP and a custom made trigger I had done locally made to match the Driod trigger specs.
They all worked fine. Funny thing is I did all that for a friend to decide what he wanted...he chose to keep the stock. Not due to price, since I was going to give him the trigger he wanted and he knew that...but because he liked the stock trigger the best.

And if you really wanted to you could tap and thread the stock trigger. It is aluminum and would hole the adjustment screws just fine. Might take 30 minutes with a drill press and die set.

So give the thing a chance. They really are a smile making gun.

Last edited by Krazy8 : 07-01-2010 at 11:01 AM. Reason: additions
Old 07-01-2010, 01:19 PM #12
PMC Unknown
E-14 Zealot

Alright, I'm starting to feel a bit better about my purchase. I really took the cons of the marker (that I got from reviews) and amplified them. Let me get this thing in my hands and a few rounds down range and I'll light this thread up again.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:02 PM #13
ghost271
Shooting MacDev

ghost271 is a founding member
ghost271 posts videos on PbNation
I have no doubt you're gonna like the gun. I've owned 3 MD Markers (still have two) that I bought site unseen and they have yet to let me down or disappoint. Just all around solid performers.
-Ronin Cyborg RX #4,Olive 07 Borg,2xBlk 07 Borg,Digi-Cam Droid
-Max'd 'DM3'
-Mint Tippmann .68 Special, 2xLB Nightmare,Nelspot 007
ghost271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:20 PM #14
Shru

I owned a Drone myself, I had to sell it for personal financial reasons...
And I can personally tell you myself, the drone was a killer marker...
I loved it and people that seen me play with it was real curious themselves about the marker as well..
I am trying to get another one, as soon as krazy8 or boomer will give me one, than i will be good to go
The drone might look milsimish but it is a lights out mid level marker that just plain kicks butt..
For a brand new marker and for woodsballers like myself, I have to give it top notch marks on performance and everything else, I honestly did not find anything about the marker that i hated..
Maybe i am just a simple person and like simple things that give highend performance at least in my book...
Grats on the drone and i am sure you will like it
Shru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:12 AM #15
Gordofski

I too plan on running a drone with my qloader, so I'll be interested to see how this works out.

A question, though. Is the shroud witht the rails available yet? I have the custom mounting sprocket and a rail adapter for the qloader, so mounting it to the shroud would be just dandy. As everyone knows mounting under the barrel is the cool thing to do (also gives you a nice low profile, which can be surprisingly advantageous) and attaching it to the reg doesnt leave much finger room.
Gordofski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:32 PM #16
Boomer14

There is not a rail or other shroud available for the Drone. I thought about modifying the factory shroud and attaching rails, but did not. The way it attaches to the frame would not be too sturdy if it had a bunch of weight on it, since there is only one attachment point at the back. The best bet for mounting the q-loader would be on the rails that area already milled on the side of the frame. It holds a Havoc launcher quite nicely too.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:09 PM #17
Gordofski

Weird, I could have sworn i saw a picture of a shroud with rails on it...

Ah well.
Gordofski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:17 PM #18
timbertiger20

timbertiger20 is a Supporting Member
There actually might be other shrouds............I need to check with James!
timbertiger20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:04 AM #19
Rifleman WI
1st ID- The Big Red One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy8 View Post
The grips on the Drones are pretty good. Yes they are a soft compound and the sharp edges tend to wear off quickly but they do not fall apart.
MacDev now has an M4 style stock available for the Drone and Boommer14 developed his own stock as well...you can see that one in his pictures.
link to said stock, i cannot find it.

AGD Tac One
AGD MiniMag
AO Feedback
PBN Feedback
Rifleman WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:59 AM #20
Boomer14

Two Drone stocks:

My shop made stock, made before Macdev made theirs available:

Macdev's CAR style stock:

Last edited by Boomer14 : 07-07-2010 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:26 AM #21
Rifleman WI
1st ID- The Big Red One

wheres the car stock available at? looked online cant find it on their page.

AGD Tac One
AGD MiniMag
AO Feedback
PBN Feedback
Rifleman WI is offline   Reply With Quote