Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-28-2010, 02:16 PM #85
MegaMuffin23
KevKev

I think the event would have been fine except for the fact it was at Badlandz. Bollingbrook was the **** and im not surprised they didnt want us back. Find a better venue PSP with drainage, level ground and parking.....
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-28-2010, 02:18 PM #86
Little_PB_Newb
www.jamesrphoto.com

Little_PB_Newb is a Paintball photographer
Little_PB_Newb donated to help Peyton Trent
Little_PB_Newb supports Team VICIOUS
from my understanding they didn't want PSP back because they wouldn't pay for re sodding.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:18 PM #87
SlOwFaCeKiLla
Derek Llewellyn

SlOwFaCeKiLla plays in the PSP
SlOwFaCeKiLla plays in the APPA D4 division
SlOwFaCeKiLla supports DLX Technology
I had a blast at the event. Badlandz is historic and as a paintball player it was great to play where so many before me have.

Rain sucked and delayed games as well as made mud. No matter what gets thrown down you just gotta sack up and play.

The PSP did their best to make the event the best it could be at the venue they chose.

People will always pick apart something and say what should have been done or what could have been done. Just drop it because it is what it is and it is over.

Four days straight of playing the same muddy *** gear FTW. I wouldn't trade it in for anything.
DC MonstArs #570
PAINTBALL ADVENTURE PARK-Where CHAMPIONS are made!
Old 06-28-2010, 02:21 PM #88
MegaMuffin23
KevKev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_PB_Newb View Post
from my understanding they didn't want PSP back because they wouldn't pay for re sodding.
Guy driving the shuttle told me the people in Bollingbrook didnt want us back, we **** up hotels, party and wreck there **** for 5 day straight and i guess they got sick of it.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:21 PM #89
Little_PB_Newb
www.jamesrphoto.com

Little_PB_Newb is a Paintball photographer
Little_PB_Newb donated to help Peyton Trent
Little_PB_Newb supports Team VICIOUS
I'd trade it for the smell of pig crap out of my gearbag, but overall I enjoyed it.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:29 PM #90
haimynameistaylor (Banned)
suwoop

haimynameistaylor plays in the APPA D3 division
it was a good event.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:31 PM #91
SlOwFaCeKiLla
Derek Llewellyn

SlOwFaCeKiLla plays in the PSP
SlOwFaCeKiLla plays in the APPA D4 division
SlOwFaCeKiLla supports DLX Technology
Quote:
I'd trade it for the smell of pig crap out of my gearbag, but overall I enjoyed it.
we just lived out of garbage bags for the week and left the gearbags at the hotel
DC MonstArs #570
PAINTBALL ADVENTURE PARK-Where CHAMPIONS are made!
Old 06-28-2010, 03:01 PM #92
protoballer823
Meow What Is So Funny?

protoballer823 plays in the PSP
protoballer823 donated to help Peyton Trent
protoballer823 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber View Post
Plus CPX's grass is seeded over gravel, so it drains really well. It's a perfect place for a large event. The NPPL event took up maybe a third of their grassy areas.

Either way, I can deal with mud and bad fields. The parking is what got me the most. Waiting for at least 15 minutes just to have a chance to get on a shuttle with nowhere for your gear simply isn't acceptable.
exactly...there would be plenty of room for everything. i still had fun at the event though. yea it was muddy, yea parking sucked, but i seriously would like psp to consider having the event at cpx next year if they can't have it at bb. nicest everything, and it is well equipped to hold a national event.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:08 PM #93
Blazestorm2
I like me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber-Balla View Post
Not to start a flame war...but you guys are dumb ***** if you think the psp isn't making money, and a nice profit as I may add, off of their events..truly ignorance .
It'd be nice to see where you get your "information" ...

I've talked with the people involved and have worked for the PSP in the past... They haven't told anyone straight out, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out they've been struggling for years now.

They honestly do the best they can, the people setting up the event don't get paid much, and work their ***** off to put these things on. They aren't out to screw over anyone, nor could they really do anything about it. So I think they deserve a bit more respect than what they're getting. **** happens, you take it for what it is and get over it.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:47 PM #94
seagreg1
I <3 Safety Meetings(>")>

seagreg1 plays in the USPL
seagreg1 plays in the PSP
seagreg1 supports Team VICIOUS
seagreg1 is for the Gunfight
tough it out. play paintball and dont complain about weather
Old 06-28-2010, 03:51 PM #95
curtis_2407

has been a member for 10 years
No one can control the weather you just hope that after your team has spent about $10,000 to attend a national event you hope that the agency putting on the event can choose a venue that is nice enough to be worth the best paintball players in the world playing on. "Drainage" is a very simple concept. I hope PSP puts a little more effort in choosing a venue next time.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:53 PM #96
TheFarmer
sup.

I didnt really care for the parking situation. It was too far of a walk. The shuttles were few and far in between. I walked to and from the parking lot every time except once. Im not bashing PSP because we dont know the circumstances that they had dealt to them.

My opinion is based on being at Chicago PSP in 2007, it rained the entire time i was there. And yes it was muddy but: Not to the point there were people losing jerseys in mud and not being able to find them http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3416273 check posts: 7, 19 and 21.

My title says it all, i am a farmer so i know dirt and drainage as well (gotta keep them crops dry.) The best an easiest thing they could do is dig down about 3 feet and put some drainage tile into their fields. With the equipment and resources they have access to it wouldnt have taken them any more than a week to have tile drilled into the fields to drain. Not only would this be a great investment to hold tournaments but for the week to week business too.

I do think that badlandz could have tried to prepare for the unexpected. Its a national event, i would have thought they would have tried to "spiff" up the place but when it comes to the point where you are laying straw down to soak up some of the water.....its bad, it why we bed animals with it even during the summer, its warm in the winter and soaks up more liquids during the summer.

All in all, it was a decent event...only because it was cheap. Im not blaming PSP because they couldnt predict what the weather was going to do. Heck i checked the Weather Channel in the morning on my iPhone before i left the hotel, and by the time i walked from the parking lot to the stands the Weather Channel changed its mind. However Badlandz knows how the weather is in the MW so they know if its says its gonna be sunny with a 10% chance of rain, get ready for a down pour. Im just very surprised at how poorly prepared the badlandz were. Just my opinions.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:34 PM #97
pntballer27 v2.0
Eric Siziz

pntballer27 v2.0 plays in the PSP
pntballer27 v2.0 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ST M0NEYZ~ View Post
Yes like psp raised d1 and d2 entrys to make bigger prized for semi pro. Well now there isnt a semi pro division and the entry's stayed the same and the prizes still stayed low. they really need to make prizes better.
Not to mention that there were no prizes for any D4 level. Not expecting a lot of money in return, but youd think that at least the entry could go back to the team. Basically no matter how you did, you were coming out behind

Quote:
if this is the case, that sucks for badlandz
Old 06-28-2010, 04:42 PM #98
Uber-Balla
**@ןןı

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmpnugls View Post
Just a clairification....I said "....paintball events are not big money makers and organizations such as PSP aren't in it to get rich!"

Sure they make some money...as any business would hope too....BUT, the owner(s) of PSP could take their time and money and invest it in something completely outside paintball and make a hell of a lot more money!.....that's not the point! They do it because they love this sport and for us - the players and fans so we have a venue/org to compete at a 'higher level'.

If as many of you on here complaining actually gave the same amount of time to promoting our sport it might really make some leaps to a more 'main stream' sport!...
You just got pwnd by the two guys below you. I guarantee you that if the owners of the PSP aren't pulling ATLEAST 100,000..$$ CLEAR PROFIT per event you can hit me in the testies with a hammer on live television.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highrisk_paintball View Post
psp is constantly looking for "quick money" instead of investing time/money/thought into the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ST M0NEYZ~ View Post
Yes like psp raised d1 and d2 entrys to make bigger prized for semi pro. Well now there isnt a semi pro division and the entry's stayed the same and the prizes still stayed low. they really need to make prizes better.

k849Or: "As far as fields are concerned, there's the one on base next to the skeet shooting range."
DUNWOODY HIGH SCHOOL PAINTBAL 4 LYFE!!
Miami Rave
Old 06-28-2010, 04:49 PM #99
mDub TK

mDub TK plays in the PSP
mDub TK is an NCPA player
mDub TK plays in the APPA D4 division
I know a lot of hard work went into this event but

this was the worst paintball event I have ever played.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:32 PM #100
Papa Smurf SNY

Papa Smurf SNY supports Bob Gurnsey
I am no longer a part of PSP or its predecessor, the old NPPL. I was involved at the inception of the league in 1992. Since I am no longer a part of this venture, and I have no inside information on what went into the decisions of where to hold events and what to charge teams, my comments are based on my experience.

I would bet the farm that PSP is having a hard time economically. When we took tournament paintball out of the woods, and I was the first one to do it at the 1998 World Cup in Orlando, we created an economic monster. As promoters, setting up a woodsball tournament field involved taping land and flag stations and building bunkers so that the fields played well and even. We could charge much less and still make money. Once we went to Hyperball and airball, the costs went sky high. The bunkers, poles and netting cost tens of thousands of dollars. Maintenance of a woodsball field involved repairing bunkers with more branches, quick, easy and cheap. Maintaining an airball field required repair and replacement of bunkers, each of which cost several hundred dollars, poles, netting, etc. Labor costs were not insignificant, by the way.

Players demanded more amenities and both leagues made efforts to accommodate their wishes. Grandstands, better venues that cost tens of thousands of dollars to rent were just a part of what was offered, and there were those, as there are now, who thought that promoters were making a virtual killing off the backs of players.

In 2001, with late gale force winds hitting our World Cup Florida fields, zip ties broke, netting fell and the schedule went to hell in a hand basket. I remember Rosie and Mooner spending hours on the fork lift (did I mention the cost of heavy equipment rentals now added to the mix), and there were those who saw me raping the player and amassing a fortune doing it. We did our best and came up short. It wasn't an event that I would describe as my crowning achievement, but we did the best with what we had and what Mother Nature threw at us.

I sold my interest in PSP and the World Cup in 2005 to giants in the industry at the time, Smart Parts and Dye. They wanted to continue the PSP and were willing to pay the freight, because they figured that these tournaments provided a vehicle for the sale of their products and maintaining the growth of paintball. They were right until the economy took a nose dive. We all know what happened to Smart Parts, and their economic downfall which was not of their making hurt us all. It also took out one of PSP's main economic legs.

Renick Miller is a friend, former business partner, owner of Badlandz and totally committed to the sport, game and industry of paintball. He and others in PSP have to make choices, and involve revenue and expense. The NPPL has the same choices. How much can they bring in from the teams is the first question that must be addressed because the answer will determine what they can afford to keep you playing. My team played Aftershock in the UWL event, run by yet another hard core tournament player, Tom Cole of Bad Company. I don't know of any team that can beat Shock on Badlandz fields. We certainly couldn't. Didn't come close. But to watch Renick, Danny Love, Mike Paxson and Mike Bruno, Shock players from the Old Skool days, Kevin Donaldson, Chuck Hendsch, Dan Colby, and Steve Davidson, my team guys from that era, Bob Long, Darryl Trent, Spesh and Snack who we suckered into playing some games with us, and the sheer joy they all felt in playing, I can tell you without question, it ain't about the money.

I think that the questions to be asked are as follows:

Do you want to keep hard core tournament paintball alive in hard economic times?

How much are you willing to pay as players to keep it alive?

If your answers to the first two questions are yes, then how much are you willing to forgo to make it all work?

Because there are no "Sugar Daddies" out there any more.

I for one love tournament ball. I love X Ball, woodsball, seven and ten man two flag ball. The skills that those who play at the top level of our sport show are phenomenal. It is a pleasure to see them work. And, it is even a greater pleasure to watch the youngsters in our sport mature into the next generation of champions. I, for one, am in it for the long haul. I know that Renick is as well. He has my full support for what he has accomplished and that includes the 2010 Chicago Tournament at Badlandz.

Woodsball World Cup - September 10-12th 2010

Owner of Paintball Sports New York - The Oldest Running Playing Field in the World
Old 06-28-2010, 05:44 PM #101
deflatedsnake
MOB

deflatedsnake plays in the PSP
deflatedsnake is an NCPA player
i had a great time at this event, and really didnt mind the weather or mud (horse **** to be precise). I was a little dissapointed by the security on the lower divisional fields. I understand it is difficult to stop theft but i believe just one security guard walking up and down there would have prevented people from talking equitment. There were guards by the vendors and snack area, but not near the pits, where it seems where all the thievery took place.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:46 PM #102
mrohrmann
NOR*JERS

mrohrmann plays in the PSP
mrohrmann plays in the APPA D1 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber-Balla View Post
You just got pwnd by the two guys below you. I guarantee you that if the owners of the PSP aren't pulling ATLEAST 100,000..$$ CLEAR PROFIT per event you can hit me in the testies with a hammer on live television.
Do the real math genius... Now lets get this pay-per-view event set up bc its Hammertime!!!

KongKer

Kee Action Sports & Empire Paintball / Planet Eclipse / Kongker / Stingray Ops / Laysick
Old 06-28-2010, 07:20 PM #103
abacoman

THE MUDLANDZ RUINED CHICAGO 2010 NEVER AGAIN AT THE BADBADBADBADLANDZ! The psp could have atleast raked some of the fields like the pro snake corner or the trench before the snake on PSP2
Old 06-28-2010, 07:40 PM #104
i70pb
www.i70paintball.com

i70pb donated to help Peyton Trent
i70pb owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
i70pb supports Bob Gurnsey
Tourneys are for the Best of the Best and War is Hell also....Great Players can play in All types of weather....
Airsoft Year Round Open Play Every Day but Monday - Sales & Rentals i70Airsoft.com
Old 06-28-2010, 07:56 PM #105
biggm28
It's Big M

biggm28 is a Paintball photographer
biggm28 is Legendary
biggm28 is Boss
Maybe if most paintballers didnt act like complete ****ing retards and trash every single place they stepped foot at you wouldnt have events at places like this.

Yes, it smelled like horse and pig ****. Yes the weather was bad. Yes the parking was terrible. Yes it was a wierd way to set the fields up. You can only blame it on yourselves based almost eveyones actions in past events.

I still had a good time. The PSP staff busted their ***** all week to even get the fields close for play. I for one say thank you for all the hard work and extra money you spent.

Bollingbrook was a way nicer event, but paintballers ruined it with the parting. I wouldnt want many of you near my house neither.