PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-07-2010, 02:53 PM #22
209pballer

209pballer owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
209pballer owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
I like xball but i hate coaching and ramping, if the psp was semi and no coaches i think it'd be alot better
209pballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-07-2010, 03:31 PM #23
LockDown Zach
naughtydawgsfan11.

LockDown Zach plays in the PSP
LockDown Zach is an NCPA player
LockDown Zach plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by 209pballer View Post
I like xball but i hate coaching and ramping, if the psp was semi and no coaches i think it'd be alot better
that wouldn't be xball.
Xcape paintball.
LockDown Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:53 PM #24
talldude175
Scott Jackson

talldude175 plays in the PSP
talldude175 posts videos on PbNation
talldude175 plays in the APPA D4 division
talldude175 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
i think its not neccessarily who has the cooler stuff, i think also what it comes down to is that maybe more players prefer the psp format? and im gonna have to say psp chicago while the weather was bad wasnt a bad event... they did the best they could with what they had and i for one had a great time.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:13 AM #25
idrum2loud
Its War

idrum2loud supports Team VICIOUS
idrum2loud supports Pev's Paintball
idrum2loud plays in the APPA D4 division
idrum2loud supports DLX Technology
All i gotta say is this. Semi Uncapped requires skill. Ramp does not.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:58 PM #26
KMA

KMA is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
KMA supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by 209pballer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrum2loud View Post
All i gotta say is this. Semi Uncapped requires skill. Ramp does not.
Having to run and gun (especially with your "weak hand") using semi-auto would negatively affect Xball's fast-paced style of play. One reason ramping is used is so players can can put opposing players in and shoot their way to key bunkers. Semi auto would effectively slow the game down taking away much of its appeal. 7-man is comparatively slow and methodical, and semi auto works great in that format. The individual games are longer and there is more on the line. The quick games and point system in Xball also promote aggressive play. The creators/players of Xball didn't randomly come up with these rules. They've been modified over the years to obtain the style of play many players and fans want.

Not saying this is the case with you specifically, but often people who hate on something either don't understand it, or aren't very good at it.
╚╝╚╩╩═╩╩╝╚
R&M Paintball - Headrush - BlackSheep
100% Positive Feedback
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:17 PM #27
poopresearch
Dr Nick

poopresearch plays in the PSP
poopresearch supports DLX Technology
I like capped ramping myself. True semi takes skill but it's hard to police bouncy triggers and cheater modes. Capped ramping puts everyone on equal footing. Only real way left to cheat is to exceed the ROF cap and that's pretty easy to police.

In this day and age I just think it's too hard to police the cheaters in uncapped semi even if it is fun to play that way.
poopresearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:41 PM #28
idrum2loud
Its War

idrum2loud supports Team VICIOUS
idrum2loud supports Pev's Paintball
idrum2loud plays in the APPA D4 division
idrum2loud supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMA View Post
Having to run and gun (especially with your "weak hand") using semi-auto would negatively affect Xball's fast-paced style of play. One reason ramping is used is so players can can put opposing players in and shoot their way to key bunkers. Semi auto would effectively slow the game down taking away much of its appeal. 7-man is comparatively slow and methodical, and semi auto works great in that format. The individual games are longer and there is more on the line. The quick games and point system in Xball also promote aggressive play. The creators/players of Xball didn't randomly come up with these rules. They've been modified over the years to obtain the style of play many players and fans want.

Not saying this is the case with you specifically, but often people who hate on something either don't understand it, or aren't very good at it.
I dont have a weak hand I love X ball, but, i dont really agree semi would slow it down. It isnt that hard to play semi and play aggressive. But once again, ramping is there to appeal to more people who cant shoot fast in semi AND not to mention your gun has a lot to do with it too, if everyone is ramping, its all equal, where in semi, if someone has a voctory with 4 eyes freakin screaming, and your hiding in a bunker with your rx or something with a "weak hand" your toast.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:25 AM #29
Dkepp™
OG

Dkepp™ plays in the USPL
Dkepp™ plays in the PSP
Dkepp™ owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Dkepp™ plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dayteam120 View Post
ok i keep hearing everyone say that but i want you to think of it like this. if you planned to go on a 4 day vacatoin 6-7 month in advance at the time you have no clue what the weather would be right and they it rains. that sucks but there is nothing you could have done just like the psp amean what did you want them to do. Everyone keeps bombing on it but no one had a solution. it sucks, you know it sucks, everyone did and the majority of the psp events arent like that dude so yeah. The nppl is cool tho i like how fields are almost always turf and i also like how the layouts are crazy. I just think the psp has more potential to grow the tournament scene than nppl.

not because its boring or anything like that its purly because of this reason

i know in cali this doesnt aplly in probs in florida it doestn either but here it goes:For purly practicing its kind of hard to get 7 guys together, bc everyone always is dont something. but 5 guys isnt that hard to get together. Yes i know that for an xball event you dont take 7 im awawre. we play xball events we take like 10 but still i just see more younger teams pushing xball than 7man
the fields wouldnt have been ready either way rain or shine, the place is just a dump to begin with as many locals have said. it was the psp's mistake in making the decision to have the event there to save THEMSELVES money. if they weren't a bunch of cheapskates they would have had the even back at bolingbrook which has good grass and can handle rain because it drains really well as we have seen in previous years there. and as far as potential, you are high, if we do this correctly the new nppl is only in its second year so if you think about it, it has way more potential then the psp which has been in a rapid decline over the past 2-3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cheeselova View Post
the nppl has more funding, since i believe the new owner is pretty rich.
Also, according to others, the nppl events themselves are alot smaller then psp events.

how so? The mud sucked but, the event was otherwise great.
did you enjoy trying to run in mud that is 6+ inches deep? i really could care less about other things at an event beside the playing conditions, because im there to play, so im not sure how it was a great event. most of the other people you ask about that event will say the same thing.

here is another good idea from the psp, south carolina in the middle of august....genius.

Last edited by Dkepp™ : 08-10-2010 at 02:30 AM.
Dkepp™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:50 PM #30
russianlegion3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDown Zach View Post
that wouldn't be xball.
PSP isn't true xball anyways.
russianlegion3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:11 AM #31
1dayteam120

Annual Supporting Member
1dayteam120 supports Cereal Killerz 2
1dayteam120 donated to help Peyton Trent
1dayteam120 supports Team VICIOUS
1dayteam120 supports DLX Technology
Quote:

:

i agree with you man. and also something to think about how many games you play in xball so its not a big deal to take a chance on sending someone to the A off break or whatever bc you still can play up to 6 more games after that lol.

also something else that no one has mentioned is off the break. one thing that i love about the psp is ther eis some games where teams lose 3 guys off break. Thats one of the few reason xball matches go by so quick. amean nppl its rare to see 2 people die off a breakout. and thats with 7 guys gunning at them. psp there are 5 guns so i have to say if you watch games carefully probs 65% of the time someone off one of the teams will die off break. and for pros that percentage is like 80%
2 Cyborg 6s, Vanquish 1.5, Ego11, Protégé FS
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...1#post84973761
Interested in selling an entire gearbag and getting cash now? PM ME I have cash
1dayteam120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:16 AM #32
crashoveride

crashoveride supports Cereal Killerz 2
crashoveride plays in the APPA beginner division
Looks like from the East vs West at the last NPPL session in DC they showed off a new format called s7. Be interesting if this will be incorporated next year to the rules
crashoveride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:59 PM #33
OldManPaintballer
Unorthodox 2008-2010 RIP

OldManPaintballer plays in the PSP
OldManPaintballer owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
OldManPaintballer supports Team VICIOUS
OldManPaintballer plays in the APPA D4 division
Getting back to the topic of the OP:

NPPL is owned, last I knew, by 16 pro teams (at least, that is how it started with USPL before they went back to the NPPL name) and had Chuck as the President.
PSP has a LOT of support from major companies (Dye, Planet Eclipse, etc) while NPPL doesn't have Dye at all.
I really don't see how NPPL is still doing well financially, considering they are giving away money all the way down to D3, while PSP is taking in more money from Entry Fees as well as not giving out as much in the prize category.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind paying a few extra dollars per event for the S7 format, just to see how well it plays out.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:21 AM #34
NkdMangina
Brandon Doyle

NkdMangina plays in the PSP
NkdMangina is playing at Living Legends III
NkdMangina is playing at Living Legends V
NkdMangina is playing at Living Legends VI
NkdMangina posts videos on PbNation
Quote:

Nope, it'd just require SKILL
3rd Place - UWL 5-Man Chicago 2013 (Chicago Underground)
1st Place - UWL 10-Man Nebraska 2013 (Chicago Underground)
NkdMangina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:27 AM #35
NkdMangina
Brandon Doyle

NkdMangina plays in the PSP
NkdMangina is playing at Living Legends III
NkdMangina is playing at Living Legends V
NkdMangina is playing at Living Legends VI
NkdMangina posts videos on PbNation
NPPL Pros;
Better venue locations
Cheaper entry per player
Higher prize package per player
Turf!!
Argueably better format (but thats just opinion)

Cons;
Not as big of player base as PSP
Not as much support from big name companies.

If NPPL got the # of teams to sign up for D3/D4 5-man as PSP gets for like Chicago & World Cup, the prize package would be huge

Keep up the good work!!
3rd Place - UWL 5-Man Chicago 2013 (Chicago Underground)
1st Place - UWL 10-Man Nebraska 2013 (Chicago Underground)
NkdMangina is offline   Reply With Quote