Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 10:39 PM #1996
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhrer325 View Post
that would help explain their torrid recruiting pace.

THOSE FREAKIN CHEATERS.
Yeah, the NCAA asked a couple of their players how they were paying rent. They're in trouble and a core chunk of their elite defense could be ruled ineligible.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2010, 10:41 PM #1997
fuhrer325 (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellster View Post
Yeah, the NCAA asked a couple of their players how they were paying rent. They're in trouble and a core chunk of their elite defense could be ruled ineligible.
Good **** them. I can't tell you how many florida recruits we have lost/almost lost to UNC.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:06 PM #1998
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

If this **** is true, they're going out of business for awhile.

Quote:
Inside Carolina has learned that the NCAA investigation surrounding the UNC football program centers on possible improper benefits provided to the NFL Draft prospects that elected to come back for the 2010 season. The NCAA inquired about benefits coming from non-University influences that included rent, jewelry and travel.

The investigation includes seniors Marvin Austin, a defensive tackle, and Greg Little, a wide receiver, but is not limited to them. The NFL Draft prospects in question weren’t the only ones interviewed by the NCAA representatives.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:12 PM #1999
IoNxRoCkEr
Voice of the Soul

Annual Supporting Member
IoNxRoCkEr is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
IoNxRoCkEr is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat View Post
you coulda got me good
?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm001 View Post
You, sir, are a beast.
I know
Quote:
No, a blog is not a blog. An ESPN blog is operated by a paid professional writer and it's not going to give out inaccurate information. It's fact-checked. Again, it was also mentioned in the video I posted, as well as at least one hundred times leading up to the Heisman presentation.
I should compile a list of "The fastest athlete" in college football today. Strange thing is according to ESPN that one position is owned by at least ten different players. ESPN will talk **** up to hype someone, I'm not saying that it isn't a legitimate stat, I'd just like to see the actual statistics because that seems to be something that isn't commonly tracked. I've never seen Yards After Contact on the stat line for a game.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:18 PM #2000
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

They keep track of it during broadcasts, it's just not a stat that's easily found.

From Alabama's official site (Nov.19):

Quote:
Ingram has also proven difficult to bring down on first contact as he has gained an astonishing 752 yards after contact this season, accounting for 55.1 percent of his total yards. He reeled off a season-best 167 total yards after contact against South Carolina on 24 rushes and two receptions. He also broke the 100-yard barrier on yards after contact vs. Virginia Tech (115) and LSU (107) and got close at Mississippi (95).
Old 07-16-2010, 12:41 AM #2001
Kolder
The Commish

Annual Supporting Member
Kolder is a Mega Moderator
Kolder is a Supporting Member
Kolder is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
Kolder is Immortal
Quote:
Hey guys, Drew Brees doesn't deserve Player of the Year for winning the Super Bowl because that's a team accomplishment! And yes, OSU would likely have at least made the tournament. And making it as a #2 seed is irrelevant if you're upset by a team that's been gutted.
Yea him setting a completion percentage record and leading a dominate team didn't have anything to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellster

Yeah, but for every Best and Devine, you can find two NFL type backs.

Also, Alabama OG Mike Johnson on Ingram:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Low of ESPN
The first guy never gets him, as evidenced by the fact that Ingram had an astonishing 1,075 yards after contact last season. Former Alabama offensive guard Mike Johnson marveled at Ingram’s vision and his ability to hit any crease, no matter how small, at full speed. When he does get some daylight, he has the wheels to go the distance. More than 30 percent of his rushing attempts last season went for a first down or a touchdown. One of the things that sets Ingram apart is his versatility. He has excellent hands out of the backfield and is equally good in pass protection when it comes to picking up the blitz. Ingram was at his best against the best teams, averaging 156.8 yards against six Top 25 opponents. And you want dependable? Ingram handled the ball 303 times last season (271 rushing attempts and 32 catches) and lost just one fumble. He’s only put the ball on the ground twice during his career. When you think of a football player, and I’m talking about a guy who impacts the game in a variety of different ways, No. 22 is the measuring stick in this league.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellster
They keep track of it during broadcasts, it's just not a stat that's easily found.

From Alabama's official site (Nov.19):

Quote:
Ingram has also proven difficult to bring down on first contact as he has gained an astonishing 752 yards after contact this season, accounting for 55.1 percent of his total yards. He reeled off a season-best 167 total yards after contact against South Carolina on 24 rushes and two receptions. He also broke the 100-yard barrier on yards after contact vs. Virginia Tech (115) and LSU (107) and got close at Mississippi (95).
I see their stats are very accurate.

██████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████
Old 07-16-2010, 12:45 AM #2002
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

See the date on the second one in parentheses? One is from the end of the year, one is from during the season.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:56 AM #2003
paintballerguy13
Takin' care of bidness.

paintballerguy13 is a Supporting Member
paintballerguy13 is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
paintballerguy13 posts videos on PbNation
paintballerguy13 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Actually, I'm using the fact that Ingram won both the Heisman - Turner only won one individual award - and national championship to drive my argument. If you had bothered to read the argument instead of just looked to point out an "irony," you would have gotten that.
Testy testy...

I don't care to read any of the nut hugging that is going on in this thread. It's ridiculous how fired up you guys have gotten.

Everyone knows Suh was the better player anyway.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:57 AM #2004
tchs_drummer06
1+1+1=2

Quote:
See the date on the second one in parentheses? One is from the end of the year, one is from during the season.
According to that, his 752 yards after contact as of 11/19 resulted in 1365 total yards (since YAContact was 55.1%).

ESPN reports that his total yards (rushing AND receiving) were 1522 (49% after contact using your article's number).

ESPN reports that his rushing yards (only) were 1297 (58% after contact using your article's number).

Does not compute, sir.

Also, there is a difference of 323 between the two numbers (1075-752). That would mean 323 YAC in four games. In those four games, he had only 361 rushing yards, and 109 receiving yards, which would result in 69% of yards after contact. Does that sound realistic to you?

Last edited by tchs_drummer06 : 07-16-2010 at 01:00 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:00 AM #2005
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

licence_to_kill is reppin' sidebar 4 life
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill supports DLX Technology
im gonna have to agree with kellster here

"Most Ron Paul supporters are domestic terrorists and racist liberal nazis." - John Elway
Old 07-16-2010, 01:11 AM #2006
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballerguy13 View Post
Testy testy...

I don't care to read any of the nut hugging that is going on in this thread. It's ridiculous how fired up you guys have gotten.

Everyone knows Suh was the better player anyway.
Suh winning wouldn't have bothered me. Gerhard would have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchs_drummer06 View Post
According to that, his 752 yards after contact as of 11/19 resulted in 1365 total yards (since YAContact was 55.1%).

ESPN reports that his total yards (rushing AND receiving) were 1522 (49% after contact using your article's number).

ESPN reports that his rushing yards (only) were 1297 (58% after contact using your article's number).

Does not compute, sir.

Also, there is a difference of 323 between the two numbers (1075-752). That would mean 323 YAC in four games. In those four games, he had only 361 rushing yards, and 109 receiving yards, which would result in 69% of yards after contact. Does that sound realistic to you?
Ok.

CBS Sports:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Dodd/CBS Sorts/Oct.21
Look out in the second half. More than half of his yards, 558, have come in the last three games. Ingram has gained more than half of his yards after first contact. He leads the nation with 30 rushes of at least 10 yards. In an age when coaches are spreading out defenses to hit the holes, Ingram is hitting holes and spreading out defenses in his wake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxSports.com/Nov.26
He leads the nation in runs of 10 yards or more, and has gained an astonishing 752 yards after contact, making him the toughest back in the country to bring down with a single hit.
It's on ESPN, it's on Scout, it's on UA's official site, etc. I've shown you a variety of sources.

The fact remains, multiple sources have said that Ingram leads the nation in yards after contact. If you disagree, prove me wrong.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:14 AM #2007
Kolder
The Commish

Annual Supporting Member
Kolder is a Mega Moderator
Kolder is a Supporting Member
Kolder is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
Kolder is Immortal
It's possible ESPN reported it then the rest followed. My point is if they are that inaccurate with the stat, which is a pretty hard stat to keep track of, who is to say it isn't someone else. It's also hard to view it as a comparison tool when no one else is listed. For all we know gerhart might have had 10 yards less after contact.

██████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████
Old 07-16-2010, 01:21 AM #2008
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolder View Post
It's possible ESPN reported it then the rest followed. My point is if they are that inaccurate with the stat, which is a pretty hard stat to keep track of, who is to say it isn't someone else. It's also hard to view it as a comparison tool when no one else is listed. For all we know gerhart might have had 10 yards less after contact.
If you guys want to dispute it, it's fine. However, the common trend - across sources - is that Ingram is being named as the toughest back to bring down in the nation. I'm not really sure what that has to do with the Turner v. Ingram argument, but as is the modus operandi on this forum, changing topics to something else entirely is acceptable.

And the reason for the discrepancy is that the stories were written at different times. Thus, different numbers.

Here is one from CBS Sports, which is right before the Heisman ceremony:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBS Sports
Ingram has run for a school-record 1,542 yards and 15 touchdowns while catching 30 passes for 322 yards and three more TDs. A whopping 1,002 yards have come after contact.
He added to that total in the BCS title game, which explains Low's statistic. It doesn't really matter to me, as saying that Ingram led the nation in yards after contact is a completely legitimate statement.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:38 AM #2009
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire

madgoat has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
jesus, I make one comment and it sparks the most epic debate in the history of this thread.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:53 AM #2010
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Not even close to the most epic debate.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:02 AM #2011
Hawke

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat View Post
jesus, I make one comment and it sparks the most epic debate in the history of this thread.
brb sec vs big10
Old 07-16-2010, 02:12 AM #2012
SmartyJones
Best in the World

SmartyJones helped look for balloons
SmartyJones is playing at Living Legends III
SmartyJones has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
SmartyJones has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
SmartyJones has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Most epic debates had to have been started by either Muffin or Hawke
2009 STS Most Accurate Poster of the Year
2010 STS:F MVP

XBL - noarmsduck
Old 07-16-2010, 03:09 AM #2013
SYSTEM
Notomated

SYSTEM is a Mega Moderator
SYSTEM is a Supporting Member
SYSTEM donated to help Peyton Trent
SYSTEM supports Bob Gurnsey
Thread has over 2000 posts. Continue here: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3429577
This SYSTEM user account is not controlled by a person. It's primary function is to automatically split large threads. System also masks the identity of staff members who give infractions. If you have a question, or if SYSTEM becomes self-aware, please post it in the Talk to Mods/Admins section.
Closed Thread