Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 11:56 AM #22
PeYToN-SS
dat fro

PeYToN-SS is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan58 View Post
Pretty sure they still carry an invite to the Pac-10. Probably arent happy over the Big 3 making ****tons more than they are and getting **** on even harder than before. I would consider their chances much better for success in the Pac-10 personally.
I seriously doubt the Pac-10 takes Tech without Texas. I don't think the Tech domino is strong enough to bring down the conference either, they could be easily replaced by TCU.

Dan Beebe just said there is currently no TV deal and they are not even in negotiations about a TV deal. All the figures these schools have agreed upon are coming from consultants. It could be 5 years before a deal is worked out, if the conference is even around then.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-15-2010, 12:02 PM #23
Spartan58 (Banned)
Texas Swagger

The Pac would probably do it on the assumption that the Big 12 would have been finally kilt and bringing on UT. Hell, they took Colorado. I think Tech is more desirable then Utah.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:06 PM #24
Fat_Joe
$OG$

Fat_Joe has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Interesting tidbit. Tech hasnt committed to the new conference. Their regents are meeting today. Now this is an 1000 yard shot with iron sights but hey.

Release the kryaken!

Team Aircraft Carrier - Captain
Old 06-15-2010, 12:15 PM #25
PeYToN-SS
dat fro

Quote:
The Pac would probably do it on the assumption that the Big 12 would have been finally kilt and bringing on UT. Hell, they took Colorado. I think Tech is more desirable then Utah.
Thats the thing though, Tech leaving wouldn't kill the Big 12. They could easily be replaced by TCU, nobody would probably even notice. Colorado brought them the Denver market and more left wing nuts.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:33 PM #26
Spartan58 (Banned)
Texas Swagger

Yeah, a foothold in Texas would suck for the Pac. Besides, Im sure the 12 Man foundation is taking quite a hit with the news in regards to staying and this may be the momentum they need.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:15 PM #27
PeYToN-SS
dat fro

Oklahoma State who originally agreed may be balking now as well. They were unaware that Texas, A&M, and Oklahoma would be receiving the majority of the exit fee money as a signing bonus along with a greater portion of TV money when they pledged. They have a press conference scheduled for 2 today.

Texas Tech BOR are meeting today and their Chancellor has advised the BOR to not agree to the current Big 12 proposal and took Tech should continue to look at other options and also try and negotiate a better deal with the Big 12.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:16 PM #28
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire

madgoat has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
release the kiken

Old 06-15-2010, 01:17 PM #29
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

tonybhall is a Moderator
tonybhall supports our troops
Quote:
Pretty sure they still carry an invite to the Pac-10. Probably arent happy over the Big 3 making <del>****</del>tons more than they are and getting <del>****</del> on even harder than before. I would consider their chances much better for success in the Pac-10 personally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeYToN-SS View Post
I seriously doubt the Pac-10 takes Tech without Texas. I don't think the Tech domino is strong enough to bring down the conference either, they could be easily replaced by TCU.

Dan Beebe just said there is currently no TV deal and they are not even in negotiations about a TV deal. All the figures these schools have agreed upon are coming from consultants. It could be 5 years before a deal is worked out, if the conference is even around then.
I think the PAC 10 would still take Tech because the Big 12 is a house of cards now. No, Tech doesn't bring the Big 12 down by themselves. But every card you pull out brings it all closer to coming down which brings Texas closer to the PAC 10.

I'm not saying that stupidity should be punishable by death. But I do think we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:22 PM #30
paintballerguy13
Takin' care of bidness.

paintballerguy13 is a Supporting Member
paintballerguy13 is a founding member
paintballerguy13 posts videos on PbNation
paintballerguy13 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
What is more interesting is that in 2008-09, Oklahoma led the Big 12 in revenue, not Texas. Kansas was third and Nebraska was 8th.

The Big 12 isn't sweating losing Colorado or Nebraska.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:24 PM #31
fuhrer325 (Banned)
I'm cooler than you

You're joking yourself if you don't think the loss of Nebraska is a big deal.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:32 PM #32
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

tonybhall is a Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballerguy13 View Post
What is more interesting is that in 2008-09, Oklahoma led the Big 12 in revenue, not Texas. Kansas was third and Nebraska was 8th.

The Big 12 isn't sweating losing Colorado or Nebraska.
Nebraska and Colorado may not have been raking in the money for themselves, but they did contribute a large chunck of viewers to the TV deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPN's Pat Forde
One athletic director who has been involved in the national realignment negotiations put it this way Monday: "There is no emerging status quo. DeLoss [Dodds, the Texas athletic director] is buying the time he needs to contemplate and perhaps design a future that will be more on his terms."

Staggering to think that the future could get any more on Texas' terms, isn't it? Short of handing Dodds a scepter and giving the Longhorns an annual automatic BCS berth, there isn't much more sucking up the Big 12 could have done to keep Texas in the fold.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/column...pat&id=5287646

I found this an interesting read.

I'm not saying that stupidity should be punishable by death. But I do think we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:42 PM #33
SHOOT3R USA
LIFT. RUN. SHOOT.

SHOOT3R USA is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
My grandma is trying to get me to date some girl 3 counties away that races dirtbikes

"IF YOU want to be the ULTIMATE predator you're gonna have to RAMP IT UP cause this is a RACE that NEVER ENDS"
-Cameron Hanes
Old 06-15-2010, 01:42 PM #34
paintballerguy13
Takin' care of bidness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhrer325 View Post
You're joking yourself if you don't think the loss of Nebraska is a big deal.
The power of that conference will always be in Texas. Nebraska was an outlier with an awful basketball program and will fit much better in the Big 10.

Losing Nebraska is not a big deal to the rest of the conference.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:48 PM #35
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Nebraska is the fourth most valuable program in college football in terms of revenue: Texas, ND, PSU, NU, and Alabama are the top five.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:50 PM #36
SHOOT3R USA
LIFT. RUN. SHOOT.

Quote:
The power of that conference will always be in Texas. Nebraska was an outlier with an awful basketball program and will fit much better in the Big 10.

Nebraska used to dominate college football dude

They were the Big 12>10's second most valuable team

"IF YOU want to be the ULTIMATE predator you're gonna have to RAMP IT UP cause this is a RACE that NEVER ENDS"
-Cameron Hanes
Old 06-15-2010, 01:56 PM #37
PeYToN-SS
dat fro

Texas is the best academic institution in the land, and must be surrounded by academic greatness. Here is how the Big 12 compares to the SEC academically.

Big 12-2 Rankings
Texas 47
Texas A&M 61
Baylor 80
Iowa St. 88
Kansas 96
Missouri 102
OU 102
Texas Tech Tier 3
OSU Tier 3
Kansas St. Tier 3

SEC Rankings
Vanderbilt 17
Florida 47
Georgia 58
Auburn 88
Alabama 96
Tennessee 106
South Carolina 110
LSU 128
Arkansas 128
Kentucky 128
Miss. St. Tier 3
Ole Miss Tier 3

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...ities-rankings
Old 06-15-2010, 01:58 PM #38
fuhrer325 (Banned)
I'm cooler than you

Quote:

Dude, the President's chancellors whatever do not give a **** about the basketball programs. It's the football, which as Kellster said is TOP 5.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:36 PM #39
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

I'm going to get rich as **** by bringing the vuvuzela to college football.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:04 PM #40
SHOOT3R USA
LIFT. RUN. SHOOT.

Quote:
I wonder how Oliver Luck must be feeling right now. He certainly picked a fascinating time to return to college athletics.

Luck was formally introduced as West Virginia's new athletic director Monday at a time where the college sports landscape seemed to be changing by the minute. Like all Big East teams, West Virginia is keeping close tabs on what happens within its league and elsewhere, as it tries to position itself for long-term success.

It's no surprise that the first question Luck fielded at his news conference had to do with everyone's favorite topic: realignment.

"In times of uncertainty, there's often times of opportunity," Luck said. "Our location along the Eastern seaboard is a real plus. We've had the most-watched Thursday night ESPN game, the most-watched Friday night ESPN game. Those aren't folks just within our state boundary; that's across the country, so obviously, people care about Mountaineer football, and this conference realignment, by and large, is being driven by football."

Luck praised the Big East, calling it "by far the best basketball conference" and recognizing the league's "very strong" football teams, but he's not closing the door on anything at this point. Because he can't.

"It's safe to say we'd love to see the status quo continue," Luck said, "but like any other university, you need to be smart and strategic, try to figure out, 'If X, Y, and Z happen, what are the alternatives?' ... It's hard to say what the University of Texas may do or may not do. I'd love to see them try to rebuild the Big 12 and maintain that status, but it's difficult to say."

West Virginia and the rest of the Big East would benefit from the Big 12 staying together and minimal amount of further expansion taking place. I'm told the Big Ten has no other imminent moves after adding Nebraska, though the league continues to evaluate some Big East options, including Rutgers.
Our first lottery pick since Huggy Bear

-Cameron Hanes
Old 06-15-2010, 03:19 PM #41
paintballerguy13
Takin' care of bidness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellster View Post
Nebraska is the fourth most valuable program in college football in terms of revenue: Texas, ND, PSU, NU, and Alabama are the top five.
Where did you get that?

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/spo...-tell-you.html

Nebraska is 20th per the 2007-08 year, behind OSU, Texas, Kansas, and OU and just above A&M

Edit Per Forbes, you're actually right. I stand corrected. Doesn't change the fact that the Big 12 isn't sweating the loss, IMO.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/12/22/mos...l_slide_5.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOOT3R USA View Post
Nebraska used to dominate college football dude

They were the Big 12>10's second most valuable team
Again, wrong. "Used to" and "Currently" are two different things. Nebraska isn't what it used to be. Not even close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhrer325 View Post
Dude, the President's chancellors whatever do not give a **** about the basketball programs. It's the football, which as Kellster said is TOP 5.
Wrong. Basketball is the second most profitable sport in the country and is the only reason Kansas was garnering consideration for the Big East when the nearest conference member is in Louisville.

I'm not saying this is about basketball dollars at all, because it's not, but Nebraska brought a football tradition which has been waning this decade and that is it.

I haven't been wrong about a single thing yet except maybe the Nebraska move so why you all insist on saying 16 teams is going to happen is beyond me.

Last edited by paintballerguy13 : 06-15-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:45 PM #42
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

tonybhall is a Moderator
I never said 16 teams was going to happen. I just said that saying it wouldn't happen because the WAC proved it wouldn't work was silly.

But I do think that eventually the Big 10 or PAC 10 will make a push for 16 teams and if doing so gets them an automatic 2nd BCS bid, it will cause the other conferences to move to 16 too.

Closed Thread