Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-12-2010, 01:39 PM #1
kudos2you

Need serious help with sp-1 regulator leaking

I recently bought an SP-1 w/ black heart board off ebay. Right away it had a problem with the led. No problem the store I bought it from fixed it. However when they sent it back (I didn't know it but it didn't have the thin mesh screen/co2 filter that it once did.) So not knowing I shot around 50 to a 100 balls using co2. I noticed that the marker was leaking. Sounds like it is coming from where the regulator screws in to the marker. So I unscrewed the regulator to find that the mesh screen was gone.

My question is:

Would it be leaking due to the fact that the mesh screen is gone so it is not getting a good seal? When I turn the regulator it seems to lessen/worsen. I checked the o-ring and it looks fine. Should the o-ring on the regulator be lubed? Because it's not. Also in the act of trying to super tighten the regulator I can no longer screw it off. Can that be fixed with the little allen screw near the bottom?

Another concern is would it be leaking due to the fact that using co2 without the mesh screen somehow damaged the marker causing it to leak?

Any help would be appreciated. I didn't know Smart Parts was not answering phones/out of business till I tried to call them. This is my first marker and desperately want to get out there but don't know a lot about paintball markers, just what I've learned off forums.
kudos2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2010, 02:10 PM #2
Newbietippmann
Beast

Newbietippmann owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Alright,
I had a bunch of reg problems so Im "technically" a reg pro.. haha

First, You have to determine EXACTLY where its leaking from. Remove the grip from the regulator and then remove the trigger frame.

If you dont know how to do that, check out this guide and follow the directions for the trigger frame and reg...
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3031499

After thats been accomplished, gas up the gun and see exactly where the gun is leaking, then post back... Ill be happy to help.

If you are confused about any of this; Shoot me a Private Message or An E-mail. We can even exchange phone numbers and text or whatnot.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:16 PM #3
kudos2you

O.k. I'll do that thanks.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:23 PM #4
Newbietippmann
Beast

Post Back when you do! Ill be here all day..
Old 06-12-2010, 11:26 PM #5
kudos2you

I did what you said and the leak is definately coming from the regulator. It seems to be coming out of the middle of three holes on the side of the reg where there is that groove. I put duct tape over it to see if there were more. It was hard to tell but it seemed like it was also coming out of the bottom as well. Not the very bottom where you adjust velocity but where it meets the part that is connected to the hose.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:35 PM #6
Newbietippmann
Beast

Ok, lets take this one step at a time. Lets "bottom out the regulator" first. What your gonna do is screw in the regulator adjustment as far as possible..

Remember, some regs are reverse threaded in which case youre gonna turn it left (NOT RIGHT, unless you want the reg bottom to fly off and hit you in the face) until it stops. Then turn it right 2 1/2 times... Check your manual to find out if its reverse threaded or not.

After you do the bottoming out, gas it up and tell me how it goes.

Gas it back up and tell me how it goes.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:41 PM #7
kudos2you

o.k. your talkin about adjusting the velocity? screw it in as far as it goes then back 2 1/2? If you want I could text you and send pics if i have questions???
Old 06-12-2010, 11:43 PM #8
Newbietippmann
Beast

Yes,

Private message or email me your phone number..
Old 06-12-2010, 11:49 PM #9
kudos2you

ok it's ready
Old 06-15-2010, 01:37 AM #10
prettylou
Por favor nene!

prettylou donated to help Peyton Trent
prettylou is playing at Living Legends III
prettylou is playing at Living Legends V
prettylou supports DLX Technology
It is a reverse thread on the reg. If those steps did not help, then you may have a bad reg seat
Old 06-15-2010, 10:25 AM #11
Newbietippmann
Beast

Thanks prettylou,
that was my first instinct but he actually had it set too high, so The piston was sitting low enough to trigger the middle hole safety. We have been talking/texting and managed to fix most the leaks except for a damaged oring, but he's ordered a kit and it's on it's way.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:09 PM #12
kudos2you

Yeah, thank you both. It is a reverse thread prettylou, but newbietippmann helped me out a ton! Thanks again!

So the regulator is working, the o-rings are fine (as in when I air it up I can't hear any leaks).

Now my problem is the quick-release valve isn't sealing, or is too sensative or something. When I shoot 3 round burst or full auto or even semi too fast that valve will open up and sometimes seal again by itself but most of the time I have to unscrew the tank and screw it back on to get it to seal. I've tried cleaning it off with oil but that only helped a little. I know your not supposed to overtighten that air-through bolt that has the o-rings on it, but if I don't crank on it fairly good then it has a constant leak when I air it up. It makes the board actually bend. Using HPA and CO2.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:09 AM #13
droopy170

has been a member for 10 years
There are several pieces to the "air-threw" bolt. Sounds like it needs to be tweaked. The U shaped piece underneath should support the board when you tighten it. I am assuming here the problem is with the front bolt(closest to barrel end)

droopy
droopy170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:56 PM #14
kudos2you

Yes droopy, that is right. It's the one closest to the front of the barrel. Any ideas???
Thanks
Old 06-17-2010, 08:38 AM #15
droopy170

The front bolt is actually 2 pieces plus O ring. You should be able to loosen oring so U (saddle) shaped piece turns. Make sure that is under the board when you start, and slowly tighten the bolt making sure it stays under the board. Takes some fiddiling but it will support the board much more level when you get it right. Then you can proceed to fully tighten to a "no leak" level.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:27 PM #16
kudos2you

Ha! Droopy you are spot on! Earlier today I took it apart again and fiddled with that red oring on the qev and it was buggin me that the board was bending so I looked at it closer and realized exactly what you said! Thanks! It is working a little better, but still not that great.
Does n e one know how many turns on the reg it is to get close to 300ft per second? Or 250 or whatever? I turn it all the way left till it stops and then how many turns out should I go? My problem is if I go past 3 or4 turns it starst to leak.
Also I think my oring on my qev is toast. Should I order one of those 360 qevs? I heard a guy say he put one in his sp1 just had to shrink the tubing down.
Thanks
Old 06-20-2010, 03:54 PM #17
kudos2you

Ok, so you can tell how new I am to the pb world. I asked if the blackeart sp1 would take a 360 qev and it actually ALREADY has the 360 qev. Now I just need to change out that red oring and see if that fixes the problem. I'm hoping its not the solenoid or the qev itself.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:20 AM #18
droopy170

Red oring is the same as others that size. It is not "special" in any way. I actually had more problems with the red one, than the black ones on the stock board, on a blackheart install.

droopy
Old 06-22-2010, 11:20 AM #19
kudos2you

That's good to know, thanks. Would you happen to know the size of the oring? I read a post some where it said that it is 8/70. Is that all I need to know? Isn't there a thickness as well. Anyways I am planning to take the qev to a bearing shop and just see if they can match the oring size. I did order an oring set specific to the sp1 from oringmonkey.com but it didn't come with the qev oring.
Thanks
Old 07-04-2010, 11:15 AM #20
boardsnroses1134

your valve seat is torn or missing try to locate a replacement
boardsnroses1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:05 AM #21
kudos2you

By valve seat do you mean the oring? Or the u saddle shaped piece that is part of the qev? Or do I neet a new bolt sleeve?
I have actually replaced the red oring, and put locktight on the air through bolt. I fired a few shots in the back yard and it seemed to hold, but the shots were inconsistent. Some balls barely made it to the target, while some were fine. Some barely made it out the barrel, and sometimes it would shoot and nothing would come out at all then all the sudden 2 to 5 balls would come out at the same time. I'm guessing when nothing came out it was pushing the ball just enough to get it past the detents so another ball could enter.
I'm thinking that if I don't get this thing fixed soon I will be selling it without even being able to play a game with it. And if I do that I might just sell all the other brand new stuff that I got and have never used.
-Grills mask
-halo too hopper
-pure energy 72/3000 tank