Community Focus

Old 05-15-2012, 11:54 AM #1
HardcoreXRooster

HardcoreXRooster supports Team VICIOUS
HardcoreXRooster has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
HardcoreXRooster has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
HardcoreXRooster is attending Decay of Nations VI
Is Paintball a dying sport?

When ever I browse the internet to look up new gear and stuff about paintball, I here and see the question is (paintball a dying sport) a lot. I really don't know how to answer this question because it feels like paintball died a long time ago in my city I mean our closest speedball coarse is 1.5 hours away its a little rediculous. But there is hope. The silver lining of paintball is its such a fun sport that once you play it once you will most likely fall in love with it and play it again and again... But the "black lining" is paintball is so expensive its hard to maintain going to play and upgrading gear with funds that most players have... So you constantly have people quitting due to prices on gear,guns,and paint. But you also have people joining the sport because its so fun. Its a never ending cycle of people quitting getting replaced by the noobs. So do I believe paintball is dying... No because if you love something you want to keep it alive and refuse to let it die.
HardcoreXRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-15-2012, 12:31 PM #2
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Paintball has been in change since it's inception. It's not dying, it's changing.

Competitive paintball is unfortunately too expensive of a sport to ever get huge. There will always be competitive paintball, but it will never be on par with sports like soccer or baseball that cost much less to play.

Recreational paintball will always be around as long as there are fields that provide a fun experience, which isn't all that hard to do in paintball. The amount of people taking part will be a direct proportion of how much value the fields can provide. If your area has less people participating now then they had a few years ago, then my guess would be that something has changed and the value is not perceived as being as good as it was when more participated. That's the way it works in all sports and in all businesses.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:55 PM #3
Pump_Action_Prophet

Rec-ball... Alive and well in Quesnel.
Speedball... Dead... Not existent. Soon to change though, starting the groundwork on the field, pretty excited.
The weather is nice... Might go out and putz around the field and get a bit of work done today infact.
Pump_Action_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:48 PM #4
loneassassin
A Grim and...

Considering that people won't even play in my region even though it's FREE*, yeah, I'd say paintball is not doing too well. Actually, the tourney guys are the only ones still trying to keep the ball rolling in my neck of the woods.

The problem is, there aren't any NEW players going into tourney play; it's the same old group of 20-25 guys driving half the day to go meet each other for practices.

Recreationally, as I said, people won't even come out and play woodsball on an awesome, no-entry-fee field. If I sound frustrated, I am. I can't go out and play the sport I love because there's nobody to play it with. They all just quit.

*Obviously, people still have to pay for their own paint and air, but there are no entry fees at several of the fields I attend (or used to attend).

My halfblocked Trilogy pump:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...6/P3250486.jpg
loneassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:09 AM #5
eclipseninja
Desert Edge Protege

eclipseninja owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
eclipseninja owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
eclipseninja supports Team VICIOUS
eclipseninja plays in the APPA D5 division
I don't think paintball is dying, I think it just had a large push a few years ago to make it really big, that's why it was on T.V. and stuff... But the fact is, it's just too expensive for everyone to do. Competitive paintball takes a lot of money, and that is a major turn off to people wanting to get serious in the sport. There will always be the kids that go out for birthdays parties and stuff and have a blast, but it's just too expensive for them to keep going with it.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:11 PM #6
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See

has been a member for 10 years
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Soul06 supports Empire
OP, your thinking is wrong. You see paintball as dying because of the lack of speedball fields and the inability for some people to continually purchase newer gear. There are a few things you must realize;
1- Paintball began in the woods. Paintball exists because of woodsball. The money generated from woodsball is the life blood of the sport. Always has been. Always will be. So while you might see a decline in some speedball it doesn't mean the sport as a whole is dying. I dont work at or run a field but I think its say to say that a good woodsball field will always do better than fields dedicated just to speedball. Now if woosball was to disappear...forget it. Party Done!!!

2- The idea that you have to continually upgrade your gear to remain competitive is completely incorrect. People run themselves out of the sport doing this and then blame the sport for being too expensive. Lets say you entered the sport in 2006 and purchased whatever was considered amongst the best marker, hopper and tank for that year. Why in 2007 and every year up until now, in 2012, do you feel you have to update your gear? So long as you 2006 gear is working like it did when you bought it you dont NEED to update anything. Newer gear isn't going to make you a better player.

Custom Ano'd Prestige CSL w/ Dart Kit - Midnight Superblue LV1
Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:05 PM #7

Paintball requires a considerable amount of gear, and none of it is reasonably priced (my opinion). That kind of barrier-to-entry discourages some players to make such a commitment. Of course once you're geared up, your investment is pretty much good for many years. Then there's paint. Sure it's cheap at $40 compared to 10, 15 years ago, but if you're shooting at 12.5 bps, that case can disappear fast. People can argue things like ramping are bad for the sport. It's all opinion, and mine is that those things aren't killing the sport, but rather just not helping it grow in a positive manner.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:38 PM #8
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul06 View Post
OP, your thinking is wrong. You see paintball as dying because of the lack of speedball fields and the inability for some people to continually purchase newer gear. There are a few things you must realize;
1- Paintball began in the woods. Paintball exists because of woodsball. The money generated from woodsball is the life blood of the sport. Always has been. Always will be. So while you might see a decline in some speedball it doesn't mean the sport as a whole is dying. I dont work at or run a field but I think its say to say that a good woodsball field will always do better than fields dedicated just to speedball. Now if woosball was to disappear...forget it. Party Done!!!

2-The idea that you have to continually upgrade your gear to remain competitive is completely incorrect. People run themselves out of the sport doing this and then blame the sport for being too expensive. Lets say you entered the sport in 2006 and purchased whatever was considered amongst the best marker, hopper and tank for that year. Why in 2007 and every year up until now, in 2012, do you feel you have to update your gear? So long as your 2006 gear is working like it did when you bought it you dont NEED to update anything. Newer gear isn't going to make you a better player.
Yes!
I play with the same technology from 2000 or 2001 and I still get as many or more eliminations as the guys with the newest gun or loader or tank or anything like that. Now, of course, as the years drag on and the guns become obsolete (they don't even make parts for my Viewloader blowbacks anymore!) I'll probably need to get with the times and buy a newer gun, but what I have now suits me just fine. I've updated almost nothing, except for swapping a couple lower-end blowbacks for newer lower-end blowbacks, and I'm just fine on the woodsball field!
Noah

CSU Rams Paintball

Rocking drop-forwards like they're going out of style...oh, wait...
Proud Pumper since 2011
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:54 PM #9
wangerinjaw

wangerinjaw plays in the PSP
wangerinjaw plays in the APPA D4 division
PAINTBALL IS NOT THAT EXPENSIVE TO YOUR CASUAL PLAYER. I'm sorry but it isn't. It aint cheap, but it isn't expensive. The casual player doesn't spend $300 and up on a gun, buy all the nicest gear, and shoot a case of paint every week. The average outlaw ball player buys a $100-200 RTP kit, spends $35 on a case of paint that will last him months, and gets a couple CO2 fills for $10. Even if you get a $200 dollar gun it is not to expensive when you spread the cost out. I started out as a in the backyard with friends player, and really did not spend all that much money. $75 RTP kit and a case of paint. $110 total for probably about six months of play. Alternatively, you can be a casual field player who pays $35 for everything you need to play for a day, and do that every couple of months. It is when you make paintball a serious hobby, or a sport that it becomes expensive.
Rant over.

Adrenalin Army AA ALL DAY
wangerinjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:05 PM #10
CreesquePaintball
That Stupid Pendejo

CreesquePaintball is playing at Living Legends V
CreesquePaintball has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
CreesquePaintball has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
No, paintball is not dying. Goodness.

But you know what is dying? THE ORIGINALITY OF THIS TOPIC.

"Have a problem with Dangerous Power markers? Yeah, me too, so I fix them."
CreesquePaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:06 PM #11
Hostile Intentions
Have gun, will travel.

Yes.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:23 PM #12
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreesquePaintball View Post

SRSLY.

Maybe if people would stop talking about paintball dying, it might not die. Think about it.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:17 PM #13
JohnSherman

Annual Supporting Member
JohnSherman posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreesquePaintball View Post

But if we stop talking about that, what else are we supposed to talk about???
JohnSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:29 PM #14
Zippin35

Zippin35 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Zippin35 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 is attending Decay of Nations VI
Bacon is always a good topic of conversation, just an idea
New England Crusade #35
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
Zippin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:47 PM #15

It's easy to talk about how the sport may be dying or instead talk about how to grow the sport. Either way, talk is easy, and that's why it's done.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:14 PM #16
kendakilla
Army Black Knights

kendakilla owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
kendakilla is an NCPA player
kendakilla supports Pev's Paintball
kendakilla plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8765 View Post
It's easy to talk about how the sport may be dying or instead talk about how to grow the sport. Either way, talk is easy, and that's why it's done.
teach me moarrr oh wise one

"It's not brain science...It's simple" ---Bob Long
kendakilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:06 PM #17
oldskoopimp1
XXX

Annual Supporting Member
oldskoopimp1 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
they said it was dying since day 1....seems to be still alive n kicking
Old 05-17-2012, 05:44 AM #18
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See

Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Soul06 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangerinjaw
PAINTBALL IS NOT THAT EXPENSIVE TO YOUR CASUAL PLAYER. I'm sorry but it isn't. It aint cheap, but it isn't expensive. The casual player doesn't spend $300 and up on a gun, buy all the nicest gear, and shoot a case of paint every week. The average outlaw ball player buys a $100-200 RTP kit, spends $35 on a case of paint that will last him months, and gets a couple CO2 fills for $10. Even if you get a $200 dollar gun it is not to expensive when you spread the cost out. I started out as a in the backyard with friends player, and really did not spend all that much money. $75 RTP kit and a case of paint. $110 total for probably about six months of play. Alternatively, you can be a casual field player who pays $35 for everything you need to play for a day, and do that every couple of months. It is when you make paintball a serious hobby, or a sport that it becomes expensive.
Rant over.
I think everyone is talking about the sport as a serious hobby. Most of us can't play outlaw ball without the threat of serious legal repercussion. I know I try that in NY and I'm looking at atleast a few night in a cell. Not that I'd ever want to play it anyway but I'm just saying

Custom Ano'd Prestige CSL w/ Dart Kit - Midnight Superblue LV1
Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Last edited by Soul06 : 05-17-2012 at 06:01 AM.
Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:35 PM #19
Pyrate Jim

I started playing in June 1988. I ain't the best or the oldest, I regularly play against people who call me the noob.

CT in 1988 had one field.
Now there are ten.

I used to pay $2.99 for ten balls in a cigar tube, $180 for a case of 2,500.
Now it's four cents a ball or less.

We used to advertise games months in advance using flyers, newspapers & trade magazines that might be seen by a few dozen players.
Today a single post online can alert 50K or more.

We used to have organised games that had 20-30 players on a good day.
Now most fields see double that just in walk-ons.

We used to wait for weeks or months to get a marker we wanted.
Today you can have an almost unlimited assortment delivered next day.

There are more players on more fields, shooting more paint at cheaper prices from a wider variety of markers than ever before in the history of the game.

From when I started playing til now, there are 10X more fields, 100X more markers, and 1,000X more players.

So tell me how that constitutes being called "Dying"?
PTI #2691 ~ C1, C2, C5, C5a, C6
http://www.paintball-pti.com/
Pyrate Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:29 PM #20
CreesquePaintball
That Stupid Pendejo

CreesquePaintball is playing at Living Legends V
CreesquePaintball has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
CreesquePaintball has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrate Jim View Post
I started playing in June 1988. I ain't the best or the oldest, I regularly play against people who call me the noob.

CT in 1988 had one field.
Now there are ten.

I used to pay $2.99 for ten balls in a cigar tube, $180 for a case of 2,500.
Now it's four cents a ball or less.

We used to advertise games months in advance using flyers, newspapers & trade magazines that might be seen by a few dozen players.
Today a single post online can alert 50K or more.

We used to have organised games that had 20-30 players on a good day.
Now most fields see double that just in walk-ons.

We used to wait for weeks or months to get a marker we wanted.
Today you can have an almost unlimited assortment delivered next day.

There are more players on more fields, shooting more paint at cheaper prices from a wider variety of markers than ever before in the history of the game.

From when I started playing til now, there are 10X more fields, 100X more markers, and 1,000X more players.

So tell me how that constitutes being called "Dying"?
Well said. If anything, paintball has become even more accessible than it was when it first began. This post alone shuts down this thread haha.

"Have a problem with Dangerous Power markers? Yeah, me too, so I fix them."
CreesquePaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:59 PM #21
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

/thread

Someone sticky this to dissuade further stupidity.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote