Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-24-2015, 04:39 PM #1
n3rd15

n3rd15 is playing at Living Legends VIII
n3rd15 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
n3rd15 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
How did you start into paintball? Let's honor Bob Gurnsey

In honor of Bob Gurnsey passing today, I thought I'd share how I got into paintball. And would like To hear from fellow players on how they got into the sport Bob created.

It just so happened that I get a call from my dad yesterday that he found a bag of my old stuff and to come get it or he's gonna toss it. So I make the trip over to my parents, and find in the bag my first marker and my dads marker. I immediately got sentimental over seeing these old, Cakey paint covered, not cared for in years spyders. This is where it started for me, 13 years ago (I'm 26 now), these two markers are where I began my love affair with paintball.

I still remember my first "game." It was Christmas and the family just finished opening gifts. It was the scene from "A Christmas Story" all over again. I run outside in shorts and hoodie and start to pop of rounds at trees, rocks, and the tire swing. My dad comes out and asks if I wanna go play. Before he realizes I've said yes, I'm running to his truck waiting for him to go play. We drive down to a wooded area in town, and with him being a cop, not worried about getting too much heat over playing in town. We play a few games, and in the middle of one match, my mask fogs something fierce. Not being able to see, I tilt head all the way back to peak out of the very bottom of the lense. Right as I do, POP! I get hit right in the bottom of my chin. Yea it hurt. Yea I yell out as fast as I could. And yea my first out I was tasting paint. But I was hooked! I couldn't wait to play again. And have felt the same since that Christmas morning.

I want to thank you Mr. Gurnsey for all that you've given me. Over the years I've made countless memories. Many long time friends. And a sport that has always welcomed me. To witch I can never repay, thank you.
n3rd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-24-2015, 05:00 PM #2
Andre05121986

Was taken there for my 12th birthday, absolutely bricking it all day but been hooked since started playing as a full time hobby since I was 15, entered bushleague tournaments for 8 years, took a 2yr break and now I'm playing tourney as much as I can
Andre05121986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:00 PM #3
Sn4zzle

Played with my friend back when I was 12. He had two ****ty little walmart guns but it was awesome none-the-less. We played for like, 3 hours. Ran all around the backyard playing (not the safest at all). We did have head protection at least.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:14 AM #4
pumpndump

pumpndump has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
i was in i think 7th grade, went to a birthday party with a few other friends. i remember getting hit so badly in the back of my knee from someone shooting hot that i needed help getting off the field. i didnt play until about 9th or 10th grade with my cousin after that. then i got back into it. i had fun all through high school and then stopped after my freshmen year in college. then i was working semi hard at school and finding a job.

after working for about 5 years and about the same time out of the sport, i decided on a whim to go play earlier in the summer. i have to say that ive played about 10 times since late june and i remember why i loved this sport so much when i was younger. ive made friends with both regulars and staff at my field, and i really enjoy the sense of camaraderie and openness that ive had. after every day i play, i just think about the next time i can play and tell all my coworkers how much fun it is and ive been working on getting them to come out and have a good time.

i couldnt imagine what i would do without this sport, its really been a great thing for me and i just love (mostly) everything about this sport.
pumpndump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:37 AM #5
GZFAN35
Old School

has been a member for 10 years
GZFAN35 is playing at Living Legends VII
GZFAN35 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
GZFAN35 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I was 13, my brother used to work at a local field and just picked up a minicocker. I somehow convinced my mom to let me go and was hooked from then on. I used a rental Carbine that had a 15 foot shot radius but I got a few eliminations and had a blast. 17 years later and countless friends made im still here and still loving it
Old 08-25-2015, 09:30 AM #6
monkeyballer099639
monkeyballer

Annual Supporting Member
monkeyballer099639 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
monkeyballer099639 plays in the APPA D4 division
monkeyballer099639 supports DLX Technology
My best friend and I got spyders for Christmas 2003 when we were 13. We took to a local outlaw field near our homes and had to play 1v1 against each other since no one else came out. It was the first time I got shot (in the foot). After that, we were both hooked and started playing every chance we got together. Met tons a great people, had a lot of good memories, and even though he doesn't play competitive anymore, we still go out and play 1v1 again each other just for fun.

Evolution Sports
Zombie Unicorn Attack
monkeyballer099639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:12 AM #7
DranDran

DranDran owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
DranDran has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DranDran has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I wanted to play for a while and when I was 14 (now 19) I bought a spyder package. Had the aggressor, hopper, 9oz co2 etc. this was in winter and no where was open so I waited until I was 15 and got some cousins and my uncle together and we went and played. I was hooked and I still have that spyder
Old 08-27-2015, 10:37 PM #8
christmasbandit
have a metal christmas

Me and a couple friends went for my 12th birthday and other than a 5 year break I just got out of, it's been constant. Just started playing again and I feel like a 25 year old child. Best sport in the world, RIP Bob.

Feedback

ST:Metal Thread: Bubinga Wood
christmasbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:02 AM #9
paintballcrazy94

paintballcrazy94 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
paintballcrazy94 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I'm trying to remember how old I was... 12 maybe?

A couple of my friends started to play paintball because there older brothers were in the scene. For christmas me and my 2 brothers asked for paintball guns, and thats what we received for christmas Brass Eagle Raiders! Wooooo! They were the best guns in the world to us and we loved them haha. They came in the kit with a mask, tank, hopper, everything you need to have a great time! And thats how it all begain, have been playing on and off for the past 10 years. I seem to play hardcore for about 1 year or so, then take a year or 2 off and sell everything, then get the itch a year later and buy everything again.. And I'm currently in that itch and getting back into the game. Once it's in your blood you just can't stop playing.