Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-28-2013, 07:49 AM #1
LeperLord

LeperLord is playing at Living Legends VII
LeperLord owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
LeperLord supports Empire
Tuning Shockers for the Cold

As some of the less fortunate members of this forum know, we cant all live in SoCal, and sometimes the temperature takes a dip down below freezing and we can even get this white fluffy stuff called snow.

I have started playing more scenario games and their are several winter games I want to play. I live in New England and it gets Nipply out here. I haven't used my shockers in these below freezing temps so I never bothered to tune them for it.

I have one pooty build, one eigenbuild and another NDZ Build. All of them with ULP Cans and Delrin Sleeves. I typcially lube them with a light coat of dow 55 on the external orings and marmalade on the bolt and guide. Dwells are running anywhere from 10-12.

In your experience other than upping your dwell how would I best get best performance out of them in the cold without getting a ton of FSDO? Also do any changes in lubricant help? What do you have the best experience with.
Advertisement
Old 10-28-2013, 09:18 AM #2
fishballer06
ShockerRepair.com

Annual Supporting Member
fishballer06 is BST Legit
fishballer06 plays in the PSP
fishballer06 donated to help Peyton Trent
fishballer06 supports our troops
fishballer06 supports DLX Technology
If you want reliable performance in sub freezing temperatures (below 32*), get a poppit.

If you insist on using a Shocker in the cold, keep the marker in the warmth as long as possible before going to the field, keep the batteries fresh, dwell normally needs to be a little higher, and spring modded bolts are basically a must.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:50 AM #3
bait607
Eternal Impact Ministries

Make sure you only lightly lube your shockers and the sprung bolts should do okay from my experience... You may have to up the dwell a little too. I live in upstate ny and my eigen build does okay in winter and so does a friends ndz v3 stinger

Angel A1 magno valved f/s/t

lightly upped sft shocker $200, eigen bolt $55, Virtue redefined board $70... the look on an eclipse agglets face when they realize their brand new $1250 gun just got out shot by an 03 spoolvalve PRICELESS
bait607 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:56 AM #4
holson72

holson72 posts videos on PbNation
holson72 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I believe a delrin sleeve is a bad deal for cold weather, too.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:58 AM #5
jim4130
proud gmax owner!!!

jim4130 plays in the PSP
jim4130 plays in the APPA D4 division
jim4130 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
jim4130 is Boss
Fit your orings correctly, don't over lube it, and if you get any FSDO just up the dwell a few clicks otherwise just run it. I used to play on a team based out of Maine and we played in the snow every weekend unless it was actually snowing and neither of my 2 shockers at the time ever had an issue.

And stop putting 55 on your damn shocker before that **** gets in your noids and swells the spool orings or something. There is literally no gain to be had from putting 55 in a shocker. If marmalade is what you use then marmalade the whole thing.

come check out my gun collection

proud suporter of

shocker owners
jim4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:01 AM #6
jim4130
proud gmax owner!!!

jim4130 plays in the PSP
jim4130 plays in the APPA D4 division
jim4130 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
jim4130 is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by holson72 View Post
I believe a delrin sleeve is a bad deal for cold weather, too.
Supposedly. I've used my delerin sleeve since I bought my SFT in 05 and have had 0 issues from the delrins weather fluctations up here. Can expansion and contraction happen? Ofcourse. But with properly fit orings I've had 0 issues from it.

come check out my gun collection

proud suporter of

shocker owners
jim4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:20 PM #7
Slow Z Rally

Click me. This is a guide by ydna posted in the ultimate sticky.

Slow Z Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:54 PM #8
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

firefoxx04 supports Bob Gurnsey
firefoxx04 supports DLX Technology
Oring fit is more important than ever in the cold. You also might consider an IPR mod as it seems to have helped me run lower dwells and have more reliable first shot cycles. (that is without drilling the body, just a simple install)

I would also run the dwell higher. Its hard to say how high because each gun will be different on what it requires in order to work in the cold.

Lastly, I know this might be fighting words but maybe try a different grease. In my experience (results may very!) Violent Grease, Monkey Poo, and Mac Dev grease all work the best and have a thin layer. This is somewhat important for cold climates.

Honestly, when its cold I have my Alien Independence locked and loaded just encase my Clone has a hard time. I wouldnt want to plan on my shockers working outside in weather below 40F.
MacDev Clone GTi
firefoxx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:29 PM #9
LeperLord

Thanks for the help guys. As for the mix of 55 and marmalade its been working wonderfully for me. My theory is if it aint broke dont fix it. I will take you up on the advice of not using the 55 anymore. Never even thought about possible noid issues.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:32 PM #10
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

firefoxx04 supports Bob Gurnsey
firefoxx04 supports DLX Technology
It is probably fine but its also definitely not needed. When you weigh the two together its just kind of silly.. adding risk with little to no gain.

I too use a mix but nothing that will swell. Cheep lurker lube on the outer orings and the good stuff on the moving orings (not that lurker lube is bad, I just have a BUNCH)
MacDev Clone GTi
firefoxx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:16 PM #11
Japy
Paragon 2014

Annual Supporting Member
Japy is BST Legit
Japy plays in the PSP
Japy is playing at Living Legends VII
Japy has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy supports Empire
My recommendation for snowy weather (having shot geos and shockers in the frigid Michigan winters, outside in the snow) is to use a light amount of dow33 and then a half drop of oil per oring smeared around. It will thin the grease a little bit and help eliminate any bolt stick.

A properly maintained shocker will shoot just as reliably as any ego will in the snow. There's no excuses.

Most of the time in the winter I'll use 3ms of ABS setting (that normally I never need in the summer) just to be safe, but combined with the simple oil trick you'll be set.

The only upgrade you might want to look into is a sprung bolt, that will always help with bolt stick. IPR IMO won't help you much for winter ball. It didn't do much for my shocker (drilled) besides consistency.

Haven't used Lurker in the winter yet so I can't comment on that in the snow. Dow33 Low temperature version (which honestly nobody in paintball would ever need the high temperature version) is good for like -50F or some ****.

Looking for some Gats?
Japy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:11 PM #12
LeperLord

All of my shockers are also spring modded.
I only run a very light coat of lube to begin with as well.
Once again thanks for all the help.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:38 PM #13
Ydna
timetraveler

Ydna is a Moderator
Ydna is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Ydna is BST Trusted
The friggen spring mod does wonders in the winter weather. It's funny how much we didn't know back when the markers were in their prime I'd definitely recommend checking out the stickied thread although it's definitely getting pretty old now LOL

As told by Stobaeus
...someone who had begun to learn geometry with Euclid, when he had learnt the first theorem, asked Euclid "What shall I get by learning these things?" Euclid called his slave and said "Give him threepence since he must make gain out of what he learns".
Ydna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:13 PM #14
LeperLord

Will be sure to check it out. Thanks guys. Been playing for about 4 years now. Just finally getting into shockers. Alas they were before my time.