Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2010, 10:37 AM #1
1NSANITY
Last edited: Today at 6
 
1NSANITY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: pittsburgh, pa
losing weight while building muscle

so far this summer i have been lifting and running six days a week and its been about three weeks. i was talking to some buddies at work who seem like they know what they are talking about and they were saying that losing weight while gaining muscle is impossible. now i know that muscle weighs more than fat but at the same time i dont feel like i am going at a pace to gain more muscle than the fat i am losing. i am just wondering is it in fact possible to consistently lose weight while still becoming more defined?

i am also going to the beach in about 6 weeks so would it be more beneficial for me to do all cardio or continue to lift as well? i will continue working out after going to the beach so its not just like a one hit, crash diet for five weeks lol

any information from you guys would be great. my meals are high in protein, some carbs, and as little fat as possible. is this good?

thanks guys.
1NSANITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-04-2010, 11:03 AM #2
Cockerkidd13
I hate cockers
 
Cockerkidd13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Wilmington, NC
If youre losing fat youre going to be getting more defined in the first place...
Just eat whole, hearty proteins and and carbs. Because youre beginning you should be able to do both at the same time. And dont stop lifting...at the very least you want to keep the muscle you have and not lose it while dropping weight....
Cockerkidd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:40 PM #3
The Situation (Banned)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Yeh
I'm basically in the same situation as you. Just by incorporating a little cardio into my workouts, I lost a little bit of fat and am getting more defined. You know, it's all about the abs and dick V.
The Situation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:54 PM #4
1NSANITY
Last edited: Today at 6
 
1NSANITY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: pittsburgh, pa
ok cool cool. i am already doing about 25 minutes of cardio per day. i am gonna up that to at least 35 minutes for the next few weeks to try and shed some more pounds.
1NSANITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:42 PM #5
bluestreak08
I Lied. It's Drum & Bass
 
bluestreak08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: 330
 has been a member for 10 years
it's hard because things that are good for building muscle are not good for losing fat. i'm kind of doing the same thing now and i lift inthe mornings and run at night. i dont do my cardio right before or right after lifting. i run 3-4x a week.
__________________
Buy Knives-Chop ****

Somethings tearing me down
And down
Cant help but feel its coming from you

The Sonic Recreation Of The End Of The World
bluestreak08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:47 AM #6
brassmonkey267
 
 
brassmonkey267's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bay Area
you plan ahead 6 weeks to go to the beach?
brassmonkey267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:00 AM #7
j-dub jr.
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NSANITY View Post
s

i am also going to the beach in about 6 weeks so would it be more beneficial for me to do all cardio or continue to lift as well? i will continue working out after going to the beach so its not just like a one hit, crash diet for five weeks lol

What the ****? You're basically prepping for the ****ing beach... Like, cutting for the beach like a bodybuilder would for a contest. I have no idea why the **** anyone would actually care THAT much about the beach. That's ****in' ridiculous.
j-dub jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:43 PM #8
peltco123 (Banned)
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Trap
 has been a member for 10 years
peltco123 is a Professional paintball player
peltco123 plays in the PSP
peltco123 plays in the APPA D2 division
gurlz
peltco123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:05 PM #9
Turb0 Negr0
golfwang
 
Turb0 Negr0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Where you are located in Pittsburgh will determine whether I give you a srs answer or not.....answer wisely
Turb0 Negr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:29 AM #10
hygbackman
 
 
hygbackman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: h*town
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-dub jr. View Post
What the ****? You're basically prepping for the ****ing beach... Like, cutting for the beach like a bodybuilder would for a contest. I have no idea why the **** anyone would actually care THAT much about the beach. That's ****in' ridiculous.
why do people like you feel the need to post? Just shut the **** up

To the thread starter- Yes it is possible to lose fat and get more defined; the fat melting off your body from the extra cardio is revealing muscle that
  • Continue to lift. The fat loss effects of resistance training are just as effective as the fat loss effects of cardio work
  • Get a soldi diet in check. Body composition (fat % compared lean mass %) is based on 90% diet and 10% training. You will never reach your goals without a solid diet. pm me for some more info if you would like
  • Throw in some HIIT (high intensity interval training) one or two days a week along with your long distance cardio.
  • Don't overtrain; get some recovery time; don't work a group of muscles more than once every 2 or 3 days.
hygbackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:30 AM #11
peltco123 (Banned)
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Trap
 has been a member for 10 years
peltco123 is a Professional paintball player
peltco123 plays in the PSP
peltco123 plays in the APPA D2 division
Actually it is 85% diet and 15% training bro.
peltco123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:32 AM #12
hygbackman
 
 
hygbackman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: h*town
haha its all theory. i like to think 90/10 diet because thats what i was taught. either way diet>training
hygbackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:35 AM #13
Pyrosive
Jacked
 
Pyrosive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: 703
Pyrosive helped look for balloons
86/13/1
__________________
"Originally posted by rockingtheomen: That little white dude means I can walk, White dudes always set the rules."
Pyrosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:23 PM #14
JackH (Banned)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ft. Polk
JackH supports Team VICIOUS
JackH is for the Gunfight
JackH supports Sherwood Forest
9000/over/1
JackH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:06 PM #15
Pyrosive
Jacked
 
Pyrosive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: 703
Pyrosive helped look for balloons
9000/over/0.
Come at me bro
__________________
"Originally posted by rockingtheomen: That little white dude means I can walk, White dudes always set the rules."
Pyrosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:08 PM #16
Voxide3 (Banned)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NSANITY View Post
my meals are high in protein, some carbs, and as little fat as possible. is this good?
Not at all. Matter of fact, it's ****ing horrible.
Voxide3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:59 PM #17
Fat_Joe
$OG$
 
Fat_Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MASSachusetts
Fat_Joe has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrosive View Post
9000/over/0.
Come at me bro
__________________
Beast Mode: Activated
big as I wanna be
HHAP Founder
Team Aircraft Carrier - Captain
Fat_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:00 PM #18
p8ntballoc11
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
p8ntballoc11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: maryland
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxide3 View Post
Not at all. Matter of fact, it's ****ing horrible.
this. eating fat isn't what makes you fat. it's eating a **** ton of calories.
__________________
"Originally posted by Laureate: day 1:
the creatine has entered my veins. i can feel it raging inside of me. i look down and realize my 11 inch biceps have swollen at least half an inch. i become scared of my own strength. mother knocks on the door to tell me good night, but i tell her not to open the door...i dont want her to see me like this. moments later i catch myself looking at myself in the mirror...i can barely recognize myself.

then i remember the internet is down...and im forced to jack off to thoughts of a girl in my class into a sock. i watch the george lopez show then go to sleep"
p8ntballoc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:28 PM #19
only4theweak187
 
 
only4theweak187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NSANITY View Post
so far this summer i have been lifting and running six days a week and its been about three weeks. i was talking to some buddies at work who seem like they know what they are talking about and they were saying that losing weight while gaining muscle is impossible.
Of course it's possible, it's called cutting.

by losing weight you mean losing fat.
__________________
big weiners
only4theweak187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:35 PM #20
LGB (Banned)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by only4theweak187 View Post
Of course it's possible, it's called cutting.
don't know if srs
LGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:24 AM #21
1NSANITY
Last edited: Today at 6
 
1NSANITY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: pittsburgh, pa
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-dub jr. View Post
What the ****? You're basically prepping for the ****ing beach... Like, cutting for the beach like a bodybuilder would for a contest. I have no idea why the **** anyone would actually care THAT much about the beach. That's ****in' ridiculous.
are you ****ing kidding me? did you read the post or not?? i said i will be continuing even after the beach so your statement has pretty much been rendered useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turb0 Negr0 View Post
Where you are located in Pittsburgh will determine whether I give you a srs answer or not.....answer wisely
cranberry township

Quote:
Originally Posted by hygbackman View Post
why do people like you feel the need to post? Just shut the **** up

To the thread starter- Yes it is possible to lose fat and get more defined; the fat melting off your body from the extra cardio is revealing muscle that
  • Continue to lift. The fat loss effects of resistance training are just as effective as the fat loss effects of cardio work
  • Get a soldi diet in check. Body composition (fat % compared lean mass %) is based on 90% diet and 10% training. You will never reach your goals without a solid diet. pm me for some more info if you would like
  • Throw in some HIIT (high intensity interval training) one or two days a week along with your long distance cardio.
  • Don't overtrain; get some recovery time; don't work a group of muscles more than once every 2 or 3 days.
pm sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak08 View Post
it's hard because things that are good for building muscle are not good for losing fat. i'm kind of doing the same thing now and i lift inthe mornings and run at night. i dont do my cardio right before or right after lifting. i run 3-4x a week.
its virtually impossible for me to do that because i work from about 4 til midnight 4 days a week so its just easier for me to run about a half hour after i lift.
1NSANITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump