PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-04-2010, 10:37 AM #1
1NSANITY
Last edited: Today at 6

losing weight while building muscle

so far this summer i have been lifting and running six days a week and its been about three weeks. i was talking to some buddies at work who seem like they know what they are talking about and they were saying that losing weight while gaining muscle is impossible. now i know that muscle weighs more than fat but at the same time i dont feel like i am going at a pace to gain more muscle than the fat i am losing. i am just wondering is it in fact possible to consistently lose weight while still becoming more defined?

i am also going to the beach in about 6 weeks so would it be more beneficial for me to do all cardio or continue to lift as well? i will continue working out after going to the beach so its not just like a one hit, crash diet for five weeks lol

any information from you guys would be great. my meals are high in protein, some carbs, and as little fat as possible. is this good?

thanks guys.
1NSANITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-04-2010, 11:03 AM #2
Cockerkidd13
I hate cockers

If youre losing fat youre going to be getting more defined in the first place...
Just eat whole, hearty proteins and and carbs. Because youre beginning you should be able to do both at the same time. And dont stop lifting...at the very least you want to keep the muscle you have and not lose it while dropping weight....
Cockerkidd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:40 PM #3
The Situation (Banned)

I'm basically in the same situation as you. Just by incorporating a little cardio into my workouts, I lost a little bit of fat and am getting more defined. You know, it's all about the abs and dick V.
The Situation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:54 PM #4
1NSANITY

ok cool cool. i am already doing about 25 minutes of cardio per day. i am gonna up that to at least 35 minutes for the next few weeks to try and shed some more pounds.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:42 PM #5
bluestreak08
I Lied. It's Drum & Bass

has been a member for 10 years
it's hard because things that are good for building muscle are not good for losing fat. i'm kind of doing the same thing now and i lift inthe mornings and run at night. i dont do my cardio right before or right after lifting. i run 3-4x a week.

Somethings tearing me down
And down
Cant help but feel its coming from you

The Sonic Recreation Of The End Of The World
bluestreak08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:47 AM #6
brassmonkey267

you plan ahead 6 weeks to go to the beach?
brassmonkey267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:00 AM #7
j-dub jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NSANITY View Post
s

i am also going to the beach in about 6 weeks so would it be more beneficial for me to do all cardio or continue to lift as well? i will continue working out after going to the beach so its not just like a one hit, crash diet for five weeks lol

What the ****? You're basically prepping for the ****ing beach... Like, cutting for the beach like a bodybuilder would for a contest. I have no idea why the **** anyone would actually care THAT much about the beach. That's ****in' ridiculous.
j-dub jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:43 PM #8
peltco123 (Banned)

peltco123 is a Professional paintball player
peltco123 plays in the PSP
peltco123 plays in the APPA D2 division
gurlz
peltco123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:05 PM #9
Turb0 Negr0
golfwang

Where you are located in Pittsburgh will determine whether I give you a srs answer or not.....answer wisely
Turb0 Negr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:29 AM #10
hygbackman

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-dub jr. View Post
What the ****? You're basically prepping for the ****ing beach... Like, cutting for the beach like a bodybuilder would for a contest. I have no idea why the **** anyone would actually care THAT much about the beach. That's ****in' ridiculous.
why do people like you feel the need to post? Just shut the **** up

To the thread starter- Yes it is possible to lose fat and get more defined; the fat melting off your body from the extra cardio is revealing muscle that
  • Continue to lift. The fat loss effects of resistance training are just as effective as the fat loss effects of cardio work
  • Get a soldi diet in check. Body composition (fat % compared lean mass %) is based on 90% diet and 10% training. You will never reach your goals without a solid diet. pm me for some more info if you would like
  • Throw in some HIIT (high intensity interval training) one or two days a week along with your long distance cardio.
  • Don't overtrain; get some recovery time; don't work a group of muscles more than once every 2 or 3 days.
hygbackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:30 AM #11
peltco123 (Banned)

peltco123 is a Professional paintball player
peltco123 plays in the PSP
peltco123 plays in the APPA D2 division
Actually it is 85% diet and 15% training bro.
peltco123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:32 AM #12
hygbackman

haha its all theory. i like to think 90/10 diet because thats what i was taught. either way diet>training
hygbackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:35 AM #13
Pyrosive
Jacked

Pyrosive helped look for balloons
86/13/1
Old 06-06-2010, 12:23 PM #14
JackH (Banned)

JackH supports Team VICIOUS
JackH is for the Gunfight
JackH supports Sherwood Forest
9000/over/1
JackH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:06 PM #15
Pyrosive
Jacked

Pyrosive helped look for balloons
9000/over/0.
Come at me bro
Old 06-06-2010, 02:08 PM #16
Voxide3 (Banned)

Quote:
my meals are high in protein, some carbs, and as little fat as possible. is this good?
Not at all. Matter of fact, it's ****ing horrible.
Voxide3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:59 PM #17
Fat_Joe
$OG$

Fat_Joe has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrosive View Post
9000/over/0.
Come at me bro
Team Aircraft Carrier - Captain
Fat_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:00 PM #18
p8ntballoc11
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxide3 View Post
Not at all. Matter of fact, it's ****ing horrible.
this. eating fat isn't what makes you fat. it's eating a **** ton of calories.
the creatine has entered my veins. i can feel it raging inside of me. i look down and realize my 11 inch biceps have swollen at least half an inch. i become scared of my own strength. mother knocks on the door to tell me good night, but i tell her not to open the door...i dont want her to see me like this. moments later i catch myself looking at myself in the mirror...i can barely recognize myself.

then i remember the internet is down...and im forced to jack off to thoughts of a girl in my class into a sock. i watch the george lopez show then go to sleep"
p8ntballoc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:28 PM #19
only4theweak187

Quote:
so far this summer i have been lifting and running six days a week and its been about three weeks. i was talking to some buddies at work who seem like they know what they are talking about and they were saying that losing weight while gaining muscle is impossible.
Of course it's possible, it's called cutting.

by losing weight you mean losing fat.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:35 PM #20
LGB (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by only4theweak187 View Post
Of course it's possible, it's called cutting.
don't know if srs
LGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:24 AM #21
1NSANITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-dub jr. View Post
are you ****ing kidding me? did you read the post or not?? i said i will be continuing even after the beach so your statement has pretty much been rendered useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turb0 Negr0 View Post
Where you are located in Pittsburgh will determine whether I give you a srs answer or not.....answer wisely
cranberry township

Quote:
Originally Posted by hygbackman View Post
why do people like you feel the need to post? Just shut the **** up

To the thread starter- Yes it is possible to lose fat and get more defined; the fat melting off your body from the extra cardio is revealing muscle that
  • Continue to lift. The fat loss effects of resistance training are just as effective as the fat loss effects of cardio work
  • Get a soldi diet in check. Body composition (fat % compared lean mass %) is based on 90% diet and 10% training. You will never reach your goals without a solid diet. pm me for some more info if you would like
  • Throw in some HIIT (high intensity interval training) one or two days a week along with your long distance cardio.
  • Don't overtrain; get some recovery time; don't work a group of muscles more than once every 2 or 3 days.
pm sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak08 View Post
it's hard because things that are good for building muscle are not good for losing fat. i'm kind of doing the same thing now and i lift inthe mornings and run at night. i dont do my cardio right before or right after lifting. i run 3-4x a week.
its virtually impossible for me to do that because i work from about 4 til midnight 4 days a week so its just easier for me to run about a half hour after i lift.