Old 06-02-2010, 03:41 PM #1
shankmcgank
Squeezin' trigs

shankmcgank is playing at Living Legends V
shankmcgank owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
shankmcgank supports Team VICIOUS
Thumbs up New Player Gear and Equipment Checklist

Hey everyone ! I'm trying to make a comprehensive checklist of all the gear a paintball player should eventually get. I'm not making this list to debate whether someone should buy something or not (it's their personal choice), but rather I'm making this list so that hopefully something doesn't get overlooked.

I don't intend for this to become the be-all and end-all, as people will do as they wish. However, I believe a gear checklist for a new player would be a big help. Depending on finances, some people may agree or disagree with my order, and that's fine. This thread isn't so much about purchase order, but rather a comprehensive list of gear for new players to view and make their decisions. Some people may want to purchase their gear in a different order than what's listed here, it's their right to do so, this is just a list.

I would appreciate any additions to my list, and will give you credit for suggesting it.

Please remember the goal of this is to make a list of items for new players to consider, and not so much what order to purchase it in.
I will update this list as necessary.

I appreciate any community help / suggestions and thank you for it in advance.

Hope this helps !

Further information follows in the posts below, due to 10,000 character limit per post.

! Beginner's Checklist !

Planet Eclipse Etek 3 AM - Cure 3+
Stiffi Shaft Kit
Dye Rotor - Virtue Soft Cycle
Guerrilla Air Carbon Fiber 68/4500

Last edited by shankmcgank : 03-24-2011 at 02:37 PM.
shankmcgank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2010, 03:42 PM #2
shankmcgank
Squeezin' trigs

New Player Items to Purchase:

1. Mask / Spare Lens / Sandana - THE most important piece of gear, get a good mask with a thermal lens and you should avoid any fogging issues. If you can't see, you can't shoot very well, so don't buy a cheap mask. Spend some money on this piece of gear, you won't regret it. If you have an extra $10 or $20, pick up a sandana head-wrap while you're getting your mask. It keeps you cool, keeps paint out of your hair, and protects your forehead from bruising due to a headshot. Grab a spare lens if you can afford it.

2. Tank and Tank Cover - Once again, buy quality. Don't forget to get a tank cover. If you have a carbon fiber tank and you damage it while playing, you can throw it in the garbage. No field will fill it for you, because once the carbon fibre is damaged the integrity of the tank is in question. Steel tanks may be harder to damage, but why take a chance ? Protect your investment !

3. Hopper - You don't have to go crazy and spend $200 on a Dye Rotor, but as always, I would suggest you buy from a company with a good reputation. Would you rather buy one hopper and have it last you 5 years ? Or would you prefer to buy a new cheap (in price and quality) hopper every couple of months ?

4. Marker - Next to your mask, many people believe this to be your most important purchase. If you buy a poor quality marker that gives you a lot of problems you're not going to have any fun sitting on the sidelines, and paying to have it fixed, while your friends are shooting each other. Spend a few extra dollars, or save up for another week or two and get a good quality marker.

4b. Barrel Sock / Cover / Condom - Every new marker should come with one. If you bought used, or your new marker didn't have one with it, then make sure you buy one. You won't be allowed to play without it. They cost one or two dollars at most.

5. Squeegee - If you take your new marker out into the woods to test, and break a ball inside it, you need to be able to clean it out. Buy a squeegee ! They only cost about $10.

6. Pod Pack or Tac Vest - Some people prefer to wear a pod pack, others a Tac Vest. I'll leave the decision up to you. You don't want to be running around with pods in your pockets because the lid will pop off and all your paint will fly out. If you want to run a remote line and wear your air tank, then I would get a Tac Vest. If you just want to be able to carry paint around safely with you, then get a pod pack. Don't forget to buy the pods to go in it !

7. Gear Bag / Gear Cases - I purchased Empire hard foam protective cases for my mask, loader and my air tank. My marker came with a case, but yours might not have. You've spent good money on your gear, make sure you take care of it ! Currently I'm using my old Umbro soccer bag as a gear bag. You don't have to buy a "paintball" gear bag, though that would be ideal. Just make sure it has room for all your gear. Any bag will do for now, just make sure your gear is packed securely to avoid damaging it.

8. Protection - If you've never played at your local field, call them and ask what the terrain is like. This will help you decide what protection you should purchase first. At a field near me, I know 2 people that have had to get stitches in their knee because they slid into a bunker that had shale poking out of the ground all around it. The ref that I walked the field with had to get 12 stitches, and a friend of mine had to get 15 stitches. If the field has a lot of rocks and other objects that can send you on a trip to the emergency room, get some knee and elbow pads. For around $40 you can save yourself an unpleasant trip to the doctor.

8b. Gloves - Even simple gardening type gloves or jersey gloves will do--you just need something to protect the back of your hand from the surprisingly sharp edges of the broken shell.

9. Clothing - If you have the money, get yourself some paintball pants and a shirt / jersey. What kind of clothing you should get is a personal preference. If you're playing a lot of woodsball, then I would definitely get a camo print like digital, woodland or tigerstripe. If you're going to play speedball, then get whatever flashy color you or your team wish to wear. If you don't have a lot of money, you can always visit your local army surplus store and get some camo fatigues (BDU's - Battle Dress Uniform) and use those. The best part about BDU's is since they are so inexpensive compared to most paintball clothing, it doesn't matter if it gets ripped or torn while you are playing.

10. Shoes - Never overlook how important good footwear is. Find out about the terrain where you are going to be playing, and use that to base your decision on. If you are playing where it is sunny and dry, a pair of old sneakers or soccer / baseball cleats would most likely do the trick. If you're playing where it is wet or muddy, you will most likely want to wear some type of hiking or combat boot. If there are a lot of objects like rocks, tree roots and uneven terrain, make sure you get something with ankle support so you don't twist or sprain your ankle. I personally play airball and woodsball in an old pair of Nike Shox, and I haven't had any problems.

11. Rechargeable batteries - Get these early and make sure not to lose them, and they'll pay for themselves.

12. Cleaning supplies - A microfiber towel and/or spray bottle. Having paint smears on your mask can really hinder your vision and hurt your game. Having a spray bottle full of water (air dried) can help this. A microfiber towel is also great for getting paint off. These can be found cheaply and are sold for cleaning cars, etc.

13. Garbage Bags - Great for tossing in paint covered gear so it doesn't get your gear bag or car all messed up. Muddy shoes ? Toss them in too ! You can also help pick up any garbage left over from other people / teams. The field will definitely appreciate it. Raining ? Cut a hole in the bottom of the bag for your head, cut 2 holes for your arms, and put the garbage bag on upside down ! BAM !!! Quick waterproof raincoat !

14. Tool kit and Manuals - All the wrenches and hex keys you need to field strip your marker or do velocity adjustments, plus some other essentials like gun oil, teflon tape, a bit of extra macroline, and maybe some Q-tips. Having a pen and a small pad to write on might come in handy as well. Pack your manuals in your marker case, or toss them in some ziplock bags to keep them dry and paint free.

15. Spare Parts / Elbows / Feedneck Clamps - Some markers need a straight elbow or a 45 degree elbow to attach the marker to the hopper. If so, get a few of these, since they break at the most inconvenient times. Most companies sell a rebuild kit with O-rings and other replaceable pieces inside it. Pick one up when you can. Plastic feedneck clamps tend to break a lot. Grab a couple extra just in case.

16. First Aid Kit - The fields you play at should have a First Aid Kit on site. You may not want to bother them for a blister though. It never hurts to have your own supply of band-aids, hydrogen peroxide, and tape. The tape makes sure the band-aids stay on and don't slip off when you become sweaty. At some point you're going to get scratched, cut or get a blister. Pack a kit for peace of mind. They don't cost very much.

17. Sunscreen / Sunblock / Hat - Nothing sucks more than a bad sunburn. Put a little lotion on and protect your skin. Having a large hat with a brim, will help keep the sun off your neck and head. If you don't want to wear the hat while playing, that's ok, but if the staging area isn't shaded, you might want to wear your hat between games.

18. Bug / Mosquito / Tick Repellent - Keep the bugs off you ! You don't want to get eaten alive by bugs while you're playing. They are distracting, and nobody likes to be itchy and scratchy.

19. Cooler / Thermos / Ice Packs - Dehydration sucks, and can be very dangerous. Bringing bottled water with you is a good idea. Tossing some in the cooler and having ICE COLD water, is an even better idea. It will also keep your snacks cool, if you wish to pack sandwiches or something else you don't want getting warm and gross. You need to stay hydrated, it's very important. I like to fill a thermos 3/4 full of juice or Gatorade and 1/4 full of ice. If you prefer something hot, make a pot of tea or coffee and pour it in, and enjoy your favorite drink, hot or cold, in the staging area between games. Make yourself some PB&J sandwiches, toss in a few granola bars, and pack some apples or carrot sticks or grapes to snack on during the day. You can spend your "snack" money on paint, you're still supporting the field, you're just spending your money on paint instead of overpriced drinks and snacks. A cooler shouldn't cost you more than $10, a couple reusable ice-packs $5-$10, and a thermos (depending on plastic or metal) shouldn't be more than $10-$20.

20. Extra Money - Not really equipment, but if you run out of paint, and you don't have any money, guess who's not playing anymore ?

21. Cable Lock and Padlock - Nothing sucks worse than having your gear stolen. For my instructions and pictures on how to easily make a cable lock for less than $20, see my thread in my signature, or click this LINK.

! Beginner's Checklist !

Stiffi Shaft Kit

Last edited by shankmcgank : 04-24-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:44 PM #3
shankmcgank
Squeezin' trigs

After you've gotten yourself what you want from the first list, you might want to pick up the following items:

1. Marker Upgrades - Do some research on what parts of your marker (if any) can be upgraded. Ask questions in your respective Paintball Manufacturer's Forum: http://www.pbnation.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126 The people there are really helpful, and will have lots of information and ideas to share with you. There are so many potential upgrades for markers that I'm not going to list them here. Ask questions to find out what might be best for you. The people at your local shop will be a good resource to talk to, same with the people that you see with your marker at a field.

Please Note: I was not aware that each post has a 10,000 character limit. When I was adding PBNation member suggestions, due to this character limit, I was being forced to delete advice or commentary that I felt helped explain why you might want to purchase something on the list. So I asked for, and received, permission to redo this thread and reserve space to expand the thread if necessary. The people who gave suggestions and items for the old thread are still given credit for it in this thread.

My thanks to the following people who have helped make contributions to this thread:
Mephysteaux, eos356, Freezing Balls, monkeyballer099639, JBussard, BrainEmindless, folkloricjungle, -=TigerPB=-, zea, XxCubakkaxX, fAllout_oMen

! Beginner's Checklist !

Stiffi Shaft Kit

Last edited by shankmcgank : 03-24-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:45 PM #4
shankmcgank
Squeezin' trigs

Reserved for extra room in case it's needed.

! Beginner's Checklist !

Stiffi Shaft Kit
Old 06-02-2010, 03:45 PM #5
shankmcgank
Squeezin' trigs

Last reservation, again, in case it's needed.

10,000 char per post limit. Just making sure we have enough room.

! Beginner's Checklist !

Stiffi Shaft Kit
Old 06-02-2010, 05:09 PM #6
zea

zea owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
zea owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
zea plays in the APPA D4 division
lol, with that much reservation space you can start writing a book on what to have on paintball, on all level of game
zea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:33 PM #7
VrelicV

VrelicV is BST Trusted
You should start with bare minimum and color coat the absolutely necessary items differently, then the optional items (another color), and so on; because there are a lot of items on the list many people don't have. It would be nice to show new players the bare minimum, as to not overwhelm.

.Certified Eclipse Tech.

TNN Crew
VrelicV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:50 PM #8
shankmcgank
Squeezin' trigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by VrelicV View Post
You should start with bare minimum and color coat the absolutely necessary items differently, then the optional items (another color), and so on; because there are a lot of items on the list many people don't have. It would be nice to show new players the bare minimum, as to not overwhelm.
I understand your suggestion. However, people would start debating what is necessary and what is not, and the whole point of the thread is just to make a checklist. The people who read it can decide what they want to get and what they don't - I just made the list so that hopefully they don't forget or overlook something.

If 19 items on a list that they can print and read in their own spare time is overwhelming, imagine how overwhelmed they are going to feel when there are a bunch of people shooting paint at them from different directions.

I might say that an absolute necessary item is a pair of gloves, because I've gotten my hand cut by a broken shell, or a thorn. Other people would completely disagree. Then this thread would become a debate over which gear is needed and which isn't, and that wasn't the intent. I leave that decision up to them, it's their money.

Thanks a bunch for your suggestion, but for now I'm going to leave it as is.

! Beginner's Checklist !

Stiffi Shaft Kit
Old 06-02-2010, 08:46 PM #9
zea

well, for sure we can say google, tank, marker(gravity hopper) is the must.
i survive 2 years playing paintball only having that and i enjoyed.

Etek 3 lt
invert halo too
carbon fiber ninja 68/4500
Old 06-02-2010, 09:01 PM #10
shankmcgank
Squeezin' trigs

Did I miss something ? Post your suggestion here and I will add it to the list !

! Beginner's Checklist !

Stiffi Shaft Kit
Old 06-02-2010, 09:21 PM #11
zea

Marker upgrades=p

Etek 3 lt
invert halo too
Old 06-02-2010, 09:33 PM #12
shankmcgank
Squeezin' trigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zea View Post
Marker upgrades=p
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll add it to the list.

! Beginner's Checklist !

Stiffi Shaft Kit
Old 06-03-2010, 07:22 AM #13
Manout21

Manout21 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Manout21 supports Team VICIOUS
i personaly bring like 3 sets of stuff. gloves/pants/ hoppers(gravity and force) batteries/ a cheap gun or 2 and tanks. just so that if someone in your group gose down for a tank brakeing or a hopper freaking out you can be the nice guy and keep them playing. Can never go wrong with bring more then what you need to play with
Old 06-03-2010, 08:40 AM #14
XxCubakkaxX
Topgun/Allstar player

XxCubakkaxX plays in the PSP
XxCubakkaxX plays in the APPA D4 division
XxCubakkaxX has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
marker upgrades should not be on the list, or be the very last thing.

i see too many kids that get a new marker and buy tons of upgrades and say their marker isnt shooting well

all just because they never knew how the marker shot stock, and learned how to shoot it.

you should shoot ur marker stock for at least an entire season before thinking about upgrades.

START FAST, FINISH STRONG
XxCubakkaxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:34 AM #15
zea

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxCubakkaxX View Post
marker upgrades should not be on the list, or be the very last thing.

i see too many kids that get a new marker and buy tons of upgrades and say their marker isnt shooting well

all just because they never knew how the marker shot stock, and learned how to shoot it.

you should shoot ur marker stock for at least an entire season before thinking about upgrades.
thats true, but there are some minor upgrades that can be done to a marker that will actually help people that are starting, like a new barrel or trigger

Etek 3 lt
invert halo too
Old 06-03-2010, 12:55 PM #16
BrainEmindless

BrainEmindless plays in the APPA D5 division
maybe instead list important marker features/upgrades like on/off ASA, clamping feedneck, barrel kit, HPA

Looking for a new "home" field
BrainEmindless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:36 PM #17
shankmcgank
Squeezin' trigs

I've put the upgrades in a separate list because the title is "New Player Gear and Equipment Checklist". I think most people would agree that upgrades would take a back seat to a lot of items on the list, so I've moved it to another section.

While it might be nice to buy an upgrade as soon as you buy your marker, it would probably be a good idea to spend that money on a mask, tank or hopper instead. Again, people will do what they want, but I think the majority of people would agree that marker upgrades shouldn't take priority in most cases.

! Beginner's Checklist !

Stiffi Shaft Kit
Old 06-04-2010, 12:10 AM #18
jmtadena
Bob Long Believer

maybe have a list of stuff you could buy as a new player. Like a good starter hopper if you don't want to spend 100+ could be an InvertToo.

I would also put protection farther up, having arm/elbow pads and knee pads change the game drastically. Even before you get you're own gun, having safety like your mask is key!
jmtadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:38 AM #19
fAllout_oMen

fAllout_oMen donated to help Peyton Trent
fAllout_oMen helped look for balloons
fAllout_oMen is an NCPA player
fAllout_oMen plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by zea View Post
thats true, but there are some minor upgrades that can be done to a marker that will actually help people that are starting, like a new barrel or trigger
Those are things I would place very low on a list of necessities, especially a trigger.

Bare minimum essentials:
-Gun
-Hopper
-Tank
-Mask
-Clothing

Next, I would invest in a good mask. It's on your head and you notice it. Crappy masks don't have thermal lenses, which means they fog, and it the most annoying thing to deal with. Get a quality mask.

Get a quality gun. If you buy a quality gun, buy a hopper that keeps up. Even if you can only afford a used Revvy off the nation, get it. The Invert Too, Eggy's, Revvy's, etc are not too expensive and will feed plenty fast enough for a starting player.

HPA. Generally I've found it cheaper and easier to use hpa at the fields I've played at. It's also cleaner, and will give you better consistency. Also no problems playing in the wintertime. Of course if you don't have access to hpa an anti-siphon co2 setup would be better than normal co2. Cheap and easy to do yourself.

Gearbag and Gear cases?
seriously. You made a thread for new players and started talking about hopper cases and gun cases. not neccesary or even mildly important. Gearbags are an extra. You can use any old duffel bag/backpack, and you don't need a case for your loader or gun, just make sure it's protected in the bag.

If you're new, don't spend money on a sandana. Spend that money on paint, to get better at your newfound sport
Don't buy a tank cover, grab duct tape and wrap it around the butt. I don't think you can damage a carbon fire tank from playing unless it's an extreme situation.

Toolkits. yes. Put together a toolkit. Should be fairly cheap, and very useful. Doesn't matter what you put it in, just that you have it. At the very least have the wrenches/tools you need for YOUR marker.

Rechargeable batteries?
For a new player, no. Just make sure to have extras. Rechargeable batteries are an investment that hasn't proven itself useful in my experience (9 years of paintball). I've tried paintball brands as well as store brands (energizer/duracell/etc). It's not worth your money. Just be conscious of your battery life. Turn off your gun/hopper between games.

Gloves and elbow/knee pads. not important. Spend your money on paint to get better.

Cleats!!!
get some cleats.
Go to your local sporting goods store (Dick's/Dunhams/MC Sports/whatever)
Buy some cleats from the clearance section. Buy soccer cleats. Cleats are beneficial to any player, speedball or woodsball. You might even be able to find some for under $20, and you'll be able to find some around $30 for sure. Totally worth it.

Clothing is iffy. Depends where you're going to be playing. If you're going to play speedball, buy a cheap jersey but invest in some decent pants, it'll make a difference. They'll hold up much better and save you $$$ in the long run. I have black 07 jt team pants and they've held up until now. (3 years...). It's a good investment. Just recently one of the swab pockets broke but that's the only thing that's been a problem.

Cleaning supplies-you got it right.
Go to walmart, buy a couple microfiber clothes and a pack of shop towels. It's all cheap. It'll come in handy, you'll see...
Also pack a towel in your bag, like a beach towel from your house. It will also come in handy.

I'm not trying to down your list, it's a good write-up. Just there are a few things that aren't completely neccesary, especially if you're a new player. Over time you can acquire all of the items you need. As you continue playing and get more experience you'll learn exactly what you want/need. This sport is expensive, and as a new player, it would be best to only spend money on exactly what you need. Spend more money on paint/on actually playing. That's what's going to better you as a player. Just be patient. Over time you'll build your gear collection and you'll have everything. I've been playing since I was in 6th grade. I'm in college now, playing NCPA for Ohio University. Just stick with it, play whenever you can, and learn. Play with people who are better than you. Find any way you can to get better gear. Pick up a job, etc etc etc. This is an awesome sport and to be dedicated to it puts yourself in a unique group of people in this world. To any new player, it's a learning process. Experienced players may very well be dick's to you. It's just a part of it. You're new. Deal with it. Stick through it. Keep playing. I've met some of the most amazing friends through paintball, and the experiences and good times you'll have because of paintball are more priceless than anything I've ever experienced in my life, I promise.

just play paintball, and have a good ****ing time

Last edited by fAllout_oMen : 06-04-2010 at 01:26 AM.
fAllout_oMen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:53 AM #20
eos356
Eclipse Geo

eos356 helped look for balloons
eos356 is playing at Living Legends III
eos356 supports Team VICIOUS
eos356 supports Bob Gurnsey
Shaping up to be a very informative thread.
Once it's finished, I'll likely add it to my Sig.
-Alex

Set up a game in the kitchen, that should be an environment she feels comfortable in."
eos356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:13 AM #21
shankmcgank
Squeezin' trigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fAllout_oMen View Post
Those are things I would place very low on a list of necessities, especially a trigger.

Bare minimum essentials:
-Gun
-Hopper
-Tank
-Mask
-Clothing

Next, I would invest in a good mask. It's on your head and you notice it. Crappy masks don't have thermal lenses, which means they fog, and it the most annoying thing to deal with. Get a quality mask.

Get a quality gun. If you buy a quality gun, buy a hopper that keeps up. Even if you can only afford a used Revvy off the nation, get it. The Invert Too, Eggy's, Revvy's, etc are not too expensive and will feed plenty fast enough for a starting player.

HPA. Generally I've found it cheaper and easier to use hpa at the fields I've played at. It's also cleaner, and will give you better consistency. Also no problems playing in the wintertime. Of course if you don't have access to hpa an anti-siphon co2 setup would be better than normal co2. Cheap and easy to do yourself.

Gearbag and Gear cases?
seriously. You made a thread for new players and started talking about hopper cases and gun cases. not neccesary or even mildly important. Gearbags are an extra. You can use any old duffel bag/backpack, and you don't need a case for your loader or gun, just make sure it's protected in the bag.

If you're new, don't spend money on a sandana. Spend that money on paint, to get better at your newfound sport
Don't buy a tank cover, grab duct tape and wrap it around the butt. I don't think you can damage a carbon fire tank from playing unless it's an extreme situation.

Toolkits. yes. Put together a toolkit. Should be fairly cheap, and very useful. Doesn't matter what you put it in, just that you have it. At the very least have the wrenches/tools you need for YOUR marker.

Rechargeable batteries?
For a new player, no. Just make sure to have extras. Rechargeable batteries are an investment that hasn't proven itself useful in my experience (9 years of paintball). I've tried paintball brands as well as store brands (energizer/duracell/etc). It's not worth your money. Just be conscious of your battery life. Turn off your gun/hopper between games.

Gloves and elbow/knee pads. not important. Spend your money on paint to get better.

Cleats!!!
get some cleats.
Go to your local sporting goods store (Dick's/Dunhams/MC Sports/whatever)
Buy some cleats from the clearance section. Buy soccer cleats. Cleats are beneficial to any player, speedball or woodsball. You might even be able to find some for under $20, and you'll be able to find some around $30 for sure. Totally worth it.

Clothing is iffy. Depends where you're going to be playing. If you're going to play speedball, buy a cheap jersey but invest in some decent pants, it'll make a difference. They'll hold up much better and save you $$$ in the long run. I have black 07 jt team pants and they've held up until now. (3 years...). It's a good investment. Just recently one of the swab pockets broke but that's the only thing that's been a problem.

Cleaning supplies-you got it right.
Go to walmart, buy a couple microfiber clothes and a pack of shop towels. It's all cheap. It'll come in handy, you'll see...
Also pack a towel in your bag, like a beach towel from your house. It will also come in handy.

I'm not trying to down your list, it's a good write-up. Just there are a few things that aren't completely neccesary, especially if you're a new player. Over time you can acquire all of the items you need. As you continue playing and get more experience you'll learn exactly what you want/need. This sport is expensive, and as a new player, it would be best to only spend money on exactly what you need. Spend more money on paint/on actually playing. That's what's going to better you as a player. Just be patient. Over time you'll build your gear collection and you'll have everything. I've been playing since I was in 6th grade. I'm in college now, playing NCPA for Ohio University. Just stick with it, play whenever you can, and learn. Play with people who are better than you. Find any way you can to get better gear. Pick up a job, etc etc etc. This is an awesome sport and to be dedicated to it puts yourself in a unique group of people in this world. To any new player, it's a learning process. Experienced players may very well be dick's to you. It's just a part of it. You're new. Deal with it. Stick through it. Keep playing. I've met some of the most amazing friends through paintball, and the experiences and good times you'll have because of paintball are more priceless than anything I've ever experienced in my life, I promise.

just play paintball, and have a good ****ing time

I don't know if people aren't reading the part where I put:

Hey everyone ! I'm trying to make a comprehensive checklist of all the gear a paintball player should eventually get. I'm not making this list to debate whether someone should buy something or not (it's their personal choice), but rather I'm making this list so that hopefully something doesn't get overlooked.

I don't intend for this to become the be-all and end-all, as people will do as they wish. However, I believe a gear checklist for a new player would be a big help. Depending on finances, some people may agree or disagree with my order, and that's fine. This thread isn't so much about purchase order, but rather a comprehensive list of gear for new players to view and make their decisions. Some people may want to purchase their gear in a different order than what's listed here, it's their right to do so, this is just a list.

It's at the very top of the thread...

I'll say it again, this is not a debate on who should buy what, where or when...it's intent is to simply be a checklist of gear and equipment that players can look over and decide what they want to buy or not buy. That's all. Please don't turn this into a debate about purchase order, or why someone shouldn't buy something, that's another thread. Feel free to start it if you want.

In answer to your post:

Shoes / Cleats - If you can get a decent pair of cleats for $30 do so. Don't get the budget cheap ones like you'd find in the bargain bin at Walmart. After a game or 2, you won't be able to walk because you'll have so many blisters on your heel and the bottom of your foot. As someone who played soccer all their life, I know how bad a cheap pair of cleats can mess your foot up. Make sure they are comfortable and buy insoles like Dr.Scholls to make them more comfortable if necessary. Rock hard heels are bad, as are any cleats that your feet wiggle around in. Trust me on this, you will have blisters so bad you will be hobbling back to the staging area.

Knee and elbow pads might not be necessary...in fact, I don't have any myself. However, I will be picking some up very soon. I know 2 guys that had to get stitches in their knee from the same field. $40 is worth it to me to not have to take a really crappy trip to the emergency room. Maybe you play where there are no rocks, maybe you don't slide around, maybe you're just super careful and watch where you are all the time, maybe you'll never get cut or hurt. For me, for the relatively low cost, to almost certainly prevent a nasty gash, and a trip to the hospital, it's worth it. If you don't think so, that's fine...again, it's up to the people reading this list whether they want to do that or not. Around here you can buy 1000 paintballs at most fields for $35 or $40. I'd rather have non-gashed knees, and not have to get needles and stitches, then have 1000 paintballs. Just blatantly telling people that knee and elbow pads aren't important is wrong...shale is sharp like a razor and will rip you open without mercy. I have 2 friends with the nasty scars on their knees to prove it. The choice between potentially having to get 15 stitches or spending $40, isn't a very hard one for me to make.

To protect a $200 Carbon Fibre 68/4500 I believe it's worth the $10 or $20 you spend on a tank cover. Again, it's up to the individual. I like to make sure my stuff is well taken care of and doesn't get beat up. The fields around me have a lot of rocks, thorn bushes, tree roots and stuff like that. If you trip over a tree root and drop or slam your tank into a rock, you can kiss your $200 tank goodbye. Personally, I'm willing to spend the money to have a very good chance at preventing that potential damage from happening. You don't seem to want to, and that's fine. Again, it's all about personal choice.

As for gear bags...no you don't NEED them. I never said you absolutely did. As I said in the list...I use an Umbro soccer bag from high school and university that fits my shoes in a separate compartment, and has pockets and room for a lot of stuff.

In regards to cases...My Empire cases were $10 and $20 and I never have to worry about my tank or hopper being damaged after I put them away. For $30 "insurance" to protect my Dye Rotor ($200 CAD) and my Guerrilla Air 68/4500 Carbon Fiber Tank ($200 CAD) I think it's well worth it. If I'm spending $400 CAD on gear, spending an extra $30 to know it's protected is a good purchase if you ask me. If you don't agree, that's fine, that's why I said people can agree or disagree and buy or not buy...it's their choice.

I will add some of your suggestions to the list. Thanks for your contribution.

Please note: It's hard to tell tone across text and so please don't be offended, I'm not trying to be rude, and I know you weren't either.

! Beginner's Checklist !

Stiffi Shaft Kit

Last edited by shankmcgank : 06-04-2010 at 04:15 AM. Reason: formatting