PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-02-2010, 12:12 PM #1
Death_Taco
Come at me bro.

has been a member for 10 years
Taylor Lautner's Workout: Build Muscle Fast

He's so hot with his massive abs and chest - thought you guys would want to know how he did it!!

Taylor Lautner isn't a naturally strong guy, but his career depends on becoming brawny. Between the first and second Twilight films, his character grew into a powerful werewolf. That meant he needed to gain 30 pounds of muscle in a year. Which he did.

Think about that: Taylor Lautner used to be a 5'10", 140-pound, bony teenager, and now he's a rippled fitness animal. If he can overcome physical shortcomings, anyone can. "Inexperience works to your advantage," says Jordan Yuam, Lautner's trainer and the owner of Jordan's Virtual Fit Club. "The less muscle you have, the easier it is to gain muscle mass more quickly."

Your strategy: Eat right and follow a smart, strategic workout regimen. "Maximize your genetic potential," says Yuam. "There's no reason you can't gain pounds of muscle in a year."

Lautner is counting on it: The third movie in the Twilight series is due out in mid-2010. "My character continues to grow," he says, "so I'd like to pack on at least a few more lean pounds."

Here's how to follow Taylor Lautner's lead and build strength at frightening speed--without working like a dog.

PUSH YOUR LIMITS

To grow large, your body needs to become comfortable with heavy loads. "That's why I had Taylor 'taste' a much heavier weight," says Yuam, who would stack a bar (or use dumbbells) with about 40 percent more weight than Lautner could normally lift 10 times. So if you can lift, say, 120 pounds 10 times, go with 170 pounds. Then, using a spotter, perform only the lowering half of lifts. ("It's critical that your spotter be strong enough to lift the weight back up by himself," Yuam says.) For a bench press, that means slowly lowering the weight to your chest. This lets your body adjust to the new weight even before you're ready to raise it. The move is taxing on your muscles, though, so limit your "tasting" to 2 or 3 sets of 5 reps every other week.

VARY YOUR VOLUME

Heavier isn't always better. To maximize gains, Lautner regularly varies reps and the amount of weight he lifts. "If you want a balanced body, you have to do that," says Yuam. The more your muscles are forced to adapt to a new routine, the more they grow. Instead of always doing 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps, for example, occasionally reduce the weight and shoot for 4 sets of 15 reps. A recent study in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research found that men who regularly varied their rep counts and trained different muscle groups increased their bench strength by 28 percent and their leg-press strength by 43 percent.

CREATE TENSION
Free weights are best, but they have a drawback: Some parts of a lift are easier than others, so your muscles aren't being worked consistently. That's why Taylor Lautner often attaches giant rubber bands to a bar or dumbbell he's going to lift, and then anchors the bands to the base of a power rack or a pair of heavy dumbbells. "The bands create more tension, making the lift harder and forcing your muscles to peak out at the top of the movement," Yuam says. As a result, your body recruits more muscle fibers and works them harder, accelerating growth. Bands are available in most gyms.

CUT DOWN ON CARDIO
"I was exercising so hard that I began to lose weight," says Lautner. Sound great? Not if you normally have trouble building muscle mass. When it's combined with weight training, cardio saps strength and limits muscle growth, especially if you spin your wheels for longer than 20 minutes before or after lifting, according to researchers at Stephen F. Austin State University, in Texas. So be careful not to overdo it. "If you're trying to gain lean mass, focus on weight-lifting with the proper technique and the right plan," Yuam says.

DON'T OVERWORK YOUR ABS
"A lot of guys hit their abs every time they hit the gym," says Yuam. "That's why so few of them have six-packs." Your abs are like any other muscle group, and the same rule of muscle building applies: Don't overwork them. Lautner targets his abs only 3 days a week, and does a combination of exercises to work his entire core. "The result is a balanced, more detailed musculature," Yuam says. One of his favorite combinations is the hanging leg raise to reverse crunch, holding for 7 to 10 seconds. That works your whole core, preventing a muffin top. (For complete exercise descriptions, visit MensHealth.com/lautnerabs.)

STEP TO THE SIDE
Most weightlifting exercises involve moving forward or backward; they don't train your body to explode in other directions. Lautner needs a versatile body because he does his own stunts on the screen. (And you need one for everyday life. Your basketball crossover will be lousy without it.) The solution, Yuam says, is to perform side-to-side exercises in addition to traditional lifts. These boost your ability to move in any path. For example, work a few sets of lateral hops and lunges into every leg workout.

HAVE A RECOVERY PLAN
Training and eating are only two-thirds of the muscle-building equation. "The other third is recovery," says Lautner. He takes every third day off and never works out more than 5 days a week. "If you constantly pound your muscles, they'll never have time to repair."

FEED YOUR NEW BODY
Your hard work begins in the gym, but your kitchen plays an equally big role in your transformation. "How much you'll eat depends on how much you want to weigh," says nutrition expert Alan Aragon, M.S. Use his calculations to add as much as 10 pounds of new muscle next year.

Step 1: Set Up Your Daily Calorie Coal
goal weight x (workout hours per week + 9.5) = daily number of calories

Example: Say you're 180 pounds and want to add 10 pounds of muscle. Your goal weight, then, is 190. If you plan to work out 3 hours a week, do this: Add 3 + 9.5, and then multiply the sum (12.5) by your goal weight of 190. Result: 2,375. That's your daily calorie goal.

Step 2: Set Your Daily Nutritional Goals
Use this key to figure out how many grams of protein, fat, and carbohydrate you should eat each day.

goal weight = grams of protein
half your goal weight = grams of fat

daily calories - [( protein grams x 4) + ( fat grams x 9)] / 4 = grams of carbs

Example: For your goal weight of 190, you'll eat 190 grams of protein and 95 grams of fat. For carbs: Multiply 190 by 4 ( to yield 760), and 95 by 9 (to yield 855). Add them together: 1,615. Now subtract that from your 2,375 daily calories, to yield 760. Divide that by 4. Result: 190. That's your carb goal, in grams.

Step 3: Balance
Determine how many meals you'll eat each day, and then break down your total allotment into equal portions. "It doesn't matter if you eat three meals a day or six," says Aragon. "As long as you stay within your guidelines, you'll see results."

SCULPT A MONSTER 6-PACK

Eclipse star Taylor Lautner's secret formula for big screen abs

Walk into any gym, and you'll see the same thing: Lots of guys doing lots of reps of just one or two abs exercises. "And that's one reason why so few of them have six packs," says Jordan Yuam, NCEP, who helped actor Taylor Lautner pack on 30 pounds of lean muscle (and a monster six-pack) for the blockbuster film New Moon. "Your abs are like every other muscle in your body, and the same rules of muscle-building apply."

In practice, that means targeting your core no more than three days a week (on non-consecutive days), and hitting it with a variety of exercises that work every muscle between your hips and chest. Here are five moves that helped Taylor Lautner land the number one spot on Access Hollywood's "Top 5 Hollywood Abs" list. Weave them into your own workouts for similarly impressive results. And if you want maximum gains in minimal time "superset them," advises Jordan. "Pick two exercises, and do sets of each back to back without rest in between."

Swiss-Ball Plank
Do three to four sets of 8 to 12 reps.

Reverse Crunches

Do three sets of 15 reps.

Swiss-Ball Hip Raise and Leg Curl
Do three to four sets of 10 to 12 reps.

Hanging Leg Raise
Do three to four sets of 8 to 12 reps.

Prone Cobra

Hold this position for 60 seconds, then rest one minute. Repeat three times.
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2010, 12:56 PM #2
Twenty4/7_Ep3
GangSTA

for all the hate this dude has received for how young he is he did put on some serious lbs. people forget he's young as hell and he did used to be super skinny. hes not really that big now but he looks a lot better then before. im sure if he stays at it by the time he's like 22 he'll be pretty large.
1992 Civic Street
Twenty4/7_Ep3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:06 PM #3
Death_Taco
Come at me bro.

I actually agree. lol.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:31 PM #4
only4theweak187

Not badddd not bad.

at least there's no completely outrageous **** being claimed here
Old 06-02-2010, 01:47 PM #5
Pyrosive
Jacked

Pyrosive helped look for balloons
Never would have thought that kid does heavy negatives and band training
Old 06-02-2010, 01:57 PM #6
Twenty4/7_Ep3
GangSTA

i looked it up, dude just turned 18 in feb. thats pretty impressive. give him a few years and he'll be a beast if thats what he's trying to do.
1992 Civic Street
Old 06-02-2010, 02:06 PM #7
The Situation (Banned)

That Tyler Lautner is so hot right now.

Wait, he just turned 18 in Feburary? Kids younger than me by like 2 months but is still bigger than me. I feel played.
The Situation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:52 PM #8
Grim~
Whysosrs?

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Situation View Post
That Tyler Lautner is so hot right now.

Wait, he just turned 18 in Feburary? Kids younger than me by like 2 months but is still bigger than me. I feel played.
well professional nutritionist and trainers will do that.
Grim~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:31 PM #9
peltco123 (Banned)
It's hot in this place

peltco123 is a Professional paintball player
peltco123 plays in the PSP
peltco123 plays in the APPA D2 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty4/7_Ep3 View Post
for all the hate this dude has received for how young he is he did put on some serious lbs. people forget he's young as hell and he did used to be super skinny. hes not really that big now but he looks a lot better then before. im sure if he stays at it by the time he's like 22 he'll be pretty large.
I heard he took some tren...
peltco123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:33 PM #10
Twenty4/7_Ep3
GangSTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by peltco123 View Post
I heard he took some tren...
tren injectable or that oral xtren stuff. either way i wouldnt doubt it. lots of people do. but i will stay off this topic because i keep getting infractions for mentioning even stuff that is legal..
1992 Civic Street
Old 06-02-2010, 03:43 PM #11
peltco123 (Banned)
It's hot in this place

peltco123 is a Professional paintball player
peltco123 plays in the PSP
peltco123 plays in the APPA D2 division
PH/DS Tren, not injectable stuff.
peltco123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:10 PM #12
Wango_Tango
AH MOTHERLAND!!!!

Wango_Tango is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim~ View Post
well professional nutritionist and trainers will do that.
this.

"Originally posted by §Galactus§You should sig me again. That way, when everyone looks at your signature, they would be like "Holy **** that dude is so awesome he got sigged twice" It would be espically awesome if you sigged this post. So that people who read your sig will be confused as well as amazed

I know, right?
Old 06-02-2010, 06:14 PM #13
Death_Taco
Come at me bro.

I knew he wasn't natural.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:24 PM #14
Jlausen
synthetic like rayon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrosive View Post
Never would have thought that kid does heavy negatives and band training
I read the article in men's health a few months ago. I know the OP kinda was being sarcastic but he put all that weight on in the course of a few months. Those movies come out every year.

He's a martial artist, too, so for all the hate he receives he could probably kick everyone's ***.
Jlausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:31 PM #15
Death_Taco
Come at me bro.

I saw valentine's day the other day...he did an awesome tuck and roll out of a flopped hurdle jump. This started off sarcastic - but I actually gotta give him some props lol.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:43 PM #16
Spartan58 (Banned)
Texas Swagger

Hes a big baby *****, lifting and acting. /Thread.
Spartan58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:14 PM #17
inuyasharox4776
Its fun to do bad things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death_Taco View Post
I saw valentine's day the other day...he did an awesome tuck and roll out of a flopped hurdle jump. This started off sarcastic - but I actually gotta give him some props lol.
He went to my high school and was on my track team. He was pretty beast at hurdles.

/offtopic
inuyasharox4776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:27 PM #18
Death_Taco
Come at me bro.

Yah, his technique looked really good lol.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:57 PM #19
Jlausen
synthetic like rayon

If you watch that gay SNL skit with him fighting a cutout of Kanye West he's pretty sick with a bowstaff. Like Napoleon Dynamite.

And manly burly men talking about how dreamy Taylor Lautner is. Oh joy, oh rapture.
Jlausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:42 PM #20
Death_Taco
Come at me bro.

wow...dude is like Jackie Chan
Old 06-02-2010, 10:14 PM #21
BoneBreak

Big man crush in this thread
instead
i was a painter, and became picasso
BoneBreak is offline   Reply With Quote