Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-21-2010, 04:42 AM #1
bubbleboy016
is ****in amazing.

has been a member for 10 years
bubbleboy016 donated to help Peyton Trent
Multiple Questions:

Since I'm relatively new to lifting and seem to be getting into it more and more, I've raised more and more questions. Its fun, I like it and I want more. More weights on the exercises I am doing and more exercises for the muscles I'm not hitting. I don't really care about being defined, cut, trimmed or any of that quite yet either. So anyways...

Basics:
Ht: 70" / 5'10"
Wt: 76.2kg / 168lbs
Time Lifting: Bottom half of 5 months
Supplements: Muscle Milk, 2 a day between breakfast/lunch and lunch/dinner, GNC 100% Whey Post workout (will switch to some sort of ON Whey once this can is done)

Current Lifts:
Bench: 165
Squat: 215
Deadlift: 155 (Reset to 135 to rework form)
Cardio / 3mi: 24:45-25:15

Objective(s):
1. Gain mass. About another 20lbs max (185), then I will be out of USMC HT/WT Standards.
2. Correlate Mass to Strength. Aiming to bench 255. Squat 315. Deadlift something.
3. Continue to improve cardio. aiming for 21-22 flat.

Questions:
1. Saunas? They feel good and they seem to help me breathe better. Should I continue to use it post work out or skip since I'm trying to put on weight?
2. Are my target lifts underachieving potential? When/If I get to 185 are my lifts too light, on point, or too high?
3. About how many thousand calories should I be aiming for per day? Is it ok to continue supplementing (extra) meals with weight gainers/meal replacements, with school and work its hard enough to find time for 3 squares.

Critique:
3 Workout Routines. Every other day. Upper, Lower, Cardio/Core
Upper Days:
1-2mi run, Squats (-20lbs of lower body days), Standing Overhead Press, Flat Bench, Incline Bench, Decline Bench, Chest Press, Single Arm Rows, 21's or Dumbell Curls (depending on which is available). Pyramid Pull/Chinups in between sets.

Lower:
1-2mi run, Squats, Deadlift, Legpress, Straightleg Deadlifts, Reverse Leg Curls, Calf Raises, Jeffersons

Cardio/Core:
2-4mi run (substitute for swim every now and then), Squats (-20lbs of lower body days), crunches, leg lifts, weighted front planks, weighted back extensions, weighted side bends, weighted situps on decline bench. I'll throw in 5-10min of stationary bike when I'm tired.
╚═╝

Last edited by bubbleboy016 : 05-21-2010 at 04:45 AM.
bubbleboy016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2010, 05:50 AM #2
Barber
Moose Krew.

Barber plays in the PSP
Barber plays in the APPA D4 division
You don't need a core day. I'd go back/chest/legs. Focus big time on the major compound lifts and you'll gain size if your diet is good.

Also, I'd slip in cadio on your off days instead of running a **** ton while you lift. And instead of doing that much running, I'd do HIIT.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:13 AM #3
p8ntballoc11
rack em'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber View Post
You don't need a core day. I'd go back/chest/legs. Focus big time on the major compound lifts and you'll gain size if your diet is good.

Also, I'd slip in cadio on your off days instead of running a **** ton while you lift. And instead of doing that much running, I'd do HIIT.
I agree. I do a 3 day a week split as well but it's upper lower upper and then nexrt week lower upper lower. it gives you plenty of time for recovery and I just do cardio on the days i'm not lifting.

For your upper day, i would throw in more back exercises. Like reverse delt flies and lat pull down. also instead of decline bench i would do pec flies. Once i started doing pec flies my bench made a nice jump up in weight.
the creatine has entered my veins. i can feel it raging inside of me. i look down and realize my 11 inch biceps have swollen at least half an inch. i become scared of my own strength. mother knocks on the door to tell me good night, but i tell her not to open the door...i dont want her to see me like this. moments later i catch myself looking at myself in the mirror...i can barely recognize myself.

then i remember the internet is down...and im forced to jack off to thoughts of a girl in my class into a sock. i watch the george lopez show then go to sleep"
p8ntballoc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:06 AM #4
bubbleboy016
is ****in amazing.

An Upper/Lower routine does sound more.. favorable. I suppose ill look into a HIIT Cardio regiment for off days. I'll adjust upper days to include/replace the mentioned exercises on my next upper day.

Lat Pull Down vs. Dead Hang Pullups (Widegripped/Overhand) -- I don't see the point in doing both in one routine or one day. They both isolate the same muscle groups, one just has an adjustable weight? Someone at the gym the other day suggested I do pec flies, but I completely forgot about them and never got around to it. I'll try them next time as well.

The area of lifting where I'm the most 'unstable' is post workout. My post workout usually consists of drinking a PWO Shake, Taking a lukewarm shower, sitting in a sauna for 10-15 (or whenever my body tells me to get out), a cool rinse, and a bottle of gatorade. -- The main thing is, all of my post workout nutrition is liquid, should I also be aiming to add in some actual food there too? If so, veggies, carbs, protein heavy or a balanced snack?
╚═╝
Old 05-22-2010, 10:45 AM #5
Barber
Moose Krew.

Barber plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleboy016 View Post
An Upper/Lower routine does sound more.. favorable. I suppose ill look into a HIIT Cardio regiment for off days. I'll adjust upper days to include/replace the mentioned exercises on my next upper day.

Lat Pull Down vs. Dead Hang Pullups (Widegripped/Overhand) -- I don't see the point in doing both in one routine or one day. They both isolate the same muscle groups, one just has an adjustable weight? Someone at the gym the other day suggested I do pec flies, but I completely forgot about them and never got around to it. I'll try them next time as well.

The area of lifting where I'm the most 'unstable' is post workout. My post workout usually consists of drinking a PWO Shake, Taking a lukewarm shower, sitting in a sauna for 10-15 (or whenever my body tells me to get out), a cool rinse, and a bottle of gatorade. -- The main thing is, all of my post workout nutrition is liquid, should I also be aiming to add in some actual food there too? If so, veggies, carbs, protein heavy or a balanced snack?
My post workout depends on the time of day. If it's still early, I eat a balanced meal to get my carbs back up. If it's getting later in the day, I'll go protein heavy with some veggies.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:22 PM #6
p8ntballoc11
rack em'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleboy016 View Post

ya if you're doing wide grip pull ups then you def. don't need to do lat pull downs. i just read chin ups/pull ups and not all pull ups are done in a wide grip fashion so i was just making sure you were hitting all muscles.

i'm not really a big fan of hitt training. If you don't like it that much either you could always just run distance. it gets you lean just like hitt does. and i don't feel like my heart is about to explode either.
the creatine has entered my veins. i can feel it raging inside of me. i look down and realize my 11 inch biceps have swollen at least half an inch. i become scared of my own strength. mother knocks on the door to tell me good night, but i tell her not to open the door...i dont want her to see me like this. moments later i catch myself looking at myself in the mirror...i can barely recognize myself.

then i remember the internet is down...and im forced to jack off to thoughts of a girl in my class into a sock. i watch the george lopez show then go to sleep"
p8ntballoc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:55 PM #7
Barber
Moose Krew.

Barber plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntballoc11 View Post
ya if you're doing wide grip pull ups then you def. don't need to do lat pull downs. i just read chin ups/pull ups and not all pull ups are done in a wide grip fashion so i was just making sure you were hitting all muscles.

i'm not really a big fan of hitt training. If you don't like it that much either you could always just run distance. it gets you lean just like hitt does. and i don't feel like my heart is about to explode either.
Right, either way will get the job done. I just prefer HIIT because it doesn't take as long. Plus I don't have anywhere to run long distances and I'm not a big fan of treadmills.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:23 PM #8
Jlausen
synthetic like rayon

HIIT is better for fat loss.
Jlausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:41 PM #9
hygbackman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlausen View Post
HIIT is better for fat loss.
not necessarily. HIIT burns fat for many hours after your 20 min workout, while moderate intensity, long periods of cardio burn fat for only the time your working. They relatively come out to the same amount of calories. HIIT is better for muscle retention, but not necessarily fat loss. I prefer HIIT myself
hygbackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:36 AM #10
Nikilwig
Double Up

Nikilwig plays in the PSP
Nikilwig is for the Gunfight
Nikilwig is for the Gunfight
You're probably not going below parallel on your squats, work on the flexibility. Even though the number isn't farfetched.

Have you shot a Vangaurd Demon yet?
Vanguard Demon | NXE | GI SPORTZ | Ninja Paintball | Warzone Paintball | Shadow Barrels | RAZA
Nikilwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:18 PM #11
FHS JewFro
black AND white

We have very similar weights. Our squat is the same, my bench is only 15lbs more, but my dead is like 305, I don't understand how yours is so low. I do understand doing less to work on form because obviously form is very important but I'd think your dead should still be a good bit higher.
"Originally posted by ']TSS[ Dake: You guys are ridiculous, haha. Thanks though, just tryna look like a shaved ape. And the half foot of height Lurk has in me will always make my physique less impressive :tup:"

"Originally posted by WorldStrike: Drop the ego. The weights on the bar will lie to you, the mirror never will."
FHS JewFro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:58 PM #12
bubbleboy016
is ****in amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikilwig View Post
You're probably not going below parallel on your squats, work on the flexibility. Even though the number isn't farfetched.
You came to that conclusion.. how?

This is a somewhat old thread now..

New Lifts Though:

Squat: 235 5x5
Bench: 175 5x5
DL: 205 5x5

I'm powerlifting my DL this month, while steadily increasing squats. I can't figure out the bench though.. for whatever reason I seem to be stuck at 165-175 5x5.. I might try heavier negatives

New Schedule (2:1):
Upper:
Bench, Standing Military Press, Chest Press, Two-Handed Dumbbell Preacher Curls (I love these), Pec Flies, Incline Dumbbell Press, Single Arm Rows. With Wide-Gripped Overhand Pull-ups throughout the workout.

Lower:
Squats, Deadlift, Seated Calf Raises, Straight Leg Deadlifts, Jeffersons

Offday:
Some form of cardio. Mix it up with HIIT (75-100m Sprints, 1mi Speed Runs) and Distance/Endurance (3-4mi Runs).

So far it seems to be working out fine, one of the guys I see at the gym on a regular basis said I looked bigger yesterday, after he was gone for 2 weeks.

The only problem I'm having now, is I seemed to have hit a plateau in the weight I am and the amount of calories I take in, as I am still 167 (+/- 1) after 2 weeks. I think I need to bump my food intake again in order to get to 175-180, but it's so hard with a busy schedule and low(er) income.
╚═╝