Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-30-2010, 05:59 PM #1
DasWolfenstein

Idea

So I have a friend who came to me wanting a clip fed milsim gun. I've been working on for about a week and I'm working on this hopper now its like a qloader (spring powered) and the hopper is much more like a clip. Its a 6' pvc pipe that goes into a 90* bend into the feed neck (it's been shorten to about 1/2 in) and I'm working how can I make the pipe spring powered without the spring to dimple the balls. Should I just get a cheap long weak spring and solder something like a filed down nail(just the sharp head of it)? But if I do that I'll have to cut into the pipe a line on both sides so the nail can move easily and freely? Then I'd only have to cap the back (I'll cover the cap with plumbing glue to strengthen it) and cap the front but to prevent losing the cap I'll have to drill a hole into it and put a small rope through and tie off the end in the cap and then connect the rope to pipe with duct tape ugly but it should hold. Can anyone help me to find a simpler way instead of doing all this work?

Last edited by DasWolfenstein : 05-30-2010 at 08:00 PM.
DasWolfenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:10 PM #2
Red80

Red80 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasWolfenstein View Post
Can anyone help me to find a simpler way instead of doing all this work?
Buy an ATS
http://www.getrealpaintball.com/
Red80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:38 AM #3
lamorte
mod a la mode

Annual Supporting Member
lamorte is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
lamorte donated to help Peyton Trent
lamorte supports our troops
Arrow

it's actually pretty simple

cut a slot into the side of the tube w/a nitch at the bottom.

you'll need ample room at the bottom of the tube under the end of the slot to accomodate the spring.

insert the spring and a round follower that won't bind in the tube.

the follower has a hole in the side so you can insert a pin that fits into the slot.

to load it you just pull the pin down and pull it into the nitch at the bottom. you might want to make the nitch on a slight angle so the pin will stay there.
once the tube is loaded and put onto the marker, pull the pin from the nitch which will put pressure on the balls.
once the pin hits the top of the slot it will stop feeding balls.
to carry a few of these loaded just make a removable tight fitting cap for the top.

✩☾ habitually nocturnal ☾✩

Last edited by lamorte : 06-14-2010 at 05:58 PM.
lamorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:09 PM #4
DasWolfenstein

I was thinking of something like that but without the notch cut into the body for the pin.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:17 PM #5
lamorte
mod a la mode

Annual Supporting Member
only prob with that design is there'll have to be some strong detents or it'll push all that balls down the barrel once you release the lever.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:48 PM #6
DasWolfenstein

Who makes a nice strong detent for most guns?
Old 06-04-2010, 06:48 PM #7
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

a clip is a small metal strip to make reloading easier on rifles. a Magazine is what you are talking about

1.SS Panzer Korps
BlackAngelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:00 PM #8
lamorte
mod a la mode

Annual Supporting Member
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasWolfenstein View Post
Who makes a nice strong detent for most guns?
since you never mentioned the marker type, who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAngelSS View Post
a clip is a small metal strip to make reloading easier on rifles. a Magazine is what you are talking about
tancha, tancha berry

Old 06-05-2010, 12:03 AM #9
DasWolfenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamorte View Post
since you never mentioned the marker type, who knows?
It's just a piece of junk vl lancer I hate the way it looks might as well make it semi-nice lol.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:58 AM #10
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Lets here it for a fellow tinkerer. Creating an idea and making it work is the reward. THEN you get to go play with it.

I would suggest a spring out of a pumploading shotgun. Paintballs fit nicely inside a 12 guage shell so the diameter should be about right. If not they make 4-10 pump shotguns.

When you start slotting PVC pipe the diameter gets smaller. It is stressed during cooling in the fabrication process. You cut a slot, it springs into the space and closes the diameter. MY experience was with 2" PVC pipe to make a spring loaded Nerf launcher. Smaller PVC pipe MIGHT be different but I'd wager you will be working with metal or a solid tube of PVC pipe.

Two types of PVC work well with paintballs. 3/4" CPVC is the yellow stuff used for hot water that you can buy anywhere. It has a very good bore to paint match. Made my own barrels out of it... Just look down the inside. Some are smoother than others on the inside.

The other option is 3/4" Schedule 20 thin wall white PVC. It is hard to come buy because of local building codes. But if you live out of the city, you can find it. It has a fairly loose bore fit on paintballs and I would use it FIRST if I could find it. You might be able to slot it and still roll a ball through it.

You were talking about a detent. Lancer is a spyder knock off. has a piece of rubber. You could experiment with making your own. Take it out and eyeball it. Then the aftermarker detent replacements from other markers, spyders etc.

I'd guess you might not need it. If the clip is mounted below the barrel you are going to have some plumbing 45s and 90s to push those balls past. In fact, I would recommend some tubing instead. Have a vendor. It won't kink and slides right over a spyder feed neck.

Pondering some way to have a moveable detent in your clip that would open and close with each firing of the marker to let ONE ball pass. A rocker arm type mechanism. I really wouldn't worry about it too much until it becomes an issue. Just plan ahead so you have room to build something else for a detent mechanism. We could ponder it a bit. Maybe a detent in the tube and use the blowback air that comes up into the feed neck to BLOW the next ball past the detent. Blow between the next ball and the second ball. The air would push the stack of balls back a bit, Tend to hold them in place against the spring. If the Lancer has a feed neck hole to vent that blowback air out of the feed neck to increase ROF and avoid mis feeds, then MAYBE the whole solution would be to tape it SHUT and if it works, block it permanently. Make the hole smaller, etc.

Instead of notching the tube. I liked the cord idea and a solid tube. Pull the spring back with a rope. End cap with a hole in it would work fine. Put a notch in the side of the hole. Put a knot in the cord close to the front of the spring feed plug and just pull it though the hole and into the notch to hold it long enough to reload easily. The cord would gravity feed back into the hole with a little encouragement and hold it there with a velcro strap or something.. How about a small cork on the front side of the cord that just PLUGS the hole. Friction fit. A larger hole would be easier to gravity feed and push that cord back into.

Brainstorming and problem solving is my hobby besides paintball. e mail or post here and pick my brain. ddupont@charter.net

There, chew on those ideas a piece and then swallow or spit........

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote