Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-29-2010, 10:36 AM #1
Jebus Christ
Praise Jebus!

How hard is it to sell something on ebay? Anyone with previous experience...

I'm considering selling my current cellphone on ebay and while I have shopped off there many times before, I've never actually sold anything.

Any one have previous experience with ease of using it? How much of my sale does ebay pocket for themselves? Is it simple to sell one item and one item only?

Thanks for any help in advance.

"Originally posted by Ben-Oblivion : Jebus , You are full of win and flavr. I will never doubt your holyness again."

Vist my new tech Blog: www.brokemanstech.com
Jebus Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-29-2010, 10:43 AM #2
scoobasio

Ebay listing fees are pretty minimal if you set the starting price at $.99, with no reserve price. You shouldn't have a problem getting what you expect if your phone is a current model. Keep in mind that Ebay does pocket a small percentage of the sale and Paypal pockets 3%.

With that being said, it's not really difficult to do. PM me with me any other questions I've been ebaying for years.

XBL: Lemonastyy
scoobasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:14 AM #3
Deadly Milk Man (Banned)

I've sold plenty of things on eBay before, it's not bad but after awhile I've learned it's much less of a hassle to just sell stuff in the b/s/t section here.. Also with eBay and bidding, if you wan't a certain price, you probably won't get as high as you'd want as if you sold it elsewhere.
Deadly Milk Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:44 PM #4
toolbandfan
The dude abides

toolbandfan is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
toolbandfan is playing at Living Legends VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobasio View Post
Ebay listing fees are pretty minimal if you set the starting price at $.99, with no reserve price. You shouldn't have a problem getting what you expect if your phone is a current model. Keep in mind that Ebay does pocket a small percentage of the sale and Paypal pockets 3%.
The fees are pretty ridiculous actually.

I'm assuming OP has a Paypal account.

While it's more risky to do, you'll probably sell it for more if you offer to ship Worldwide. I've yet to have an issue with the many countries I have shipped to, but it could happen. Almost every time I ship worldwide, the item ends at a higher value than if I didn't, even if the winner of the auction didn't live outside the country.

Sometimes Buy it Now is a better idea than auction style listings. Like if you know your item is worth a good amount of money, and there is high demand for it, it would be worth trying Buy it now. Plus, you can get something like 8% Bing cashback from purchasing a buy it now item, some Ebayers might know that and look for the Buy it Now listings.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:00 PM #5
Jebus Christ
Praise Jebus!

I do have an old paypal account somewhere but im tempted to open up a new one and attach it to my current bank account.

I think I'm going to put up a BST thread once I can get a few shots of my phone and wait a couple of days. If there are no bites I'll move on to ebay. I'll take that buy it now into consideration but I think I am going to stay away from worldwide shipping since I would rather avoid any of the crazyness that might happen if something does go bad.

If you guys have any more tips, please continue posting them.

"Originally posted by Ben-Oblivion : Jebus , You are full of win and flavr. I will never doubt your holyness again."

Vist my new tech Blog: www.brokemanstech.com
Jebus Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:18 PM #6
mymutter
I crack myself up!

mymutter supports Team VICIOUS
mymutter is reppin' sidebar 4 life
okay,
1. ebay is great, you know it will sell or it's priced to high.
2. Do not link your paypal account to a bank account that you use for your daily needs. Link it to a savings account that you do not keep alot of money in.
3. The worldwide advice is great, even tho shipping sometimes sucks. Get a proper weight of the item with packaging so you know exactly how much it will cost, then print out the usps label right from ebay or paypal since it includeds free tracking. They supply free priority mailing gear so packaging will cost you nothing (priority including international).
Old 05-29-2010, 11:02 PM #7
toolbandfan
The dude abides

Oh, and if there is any demand at all for your item, and you're doing it auction style, no point in listing over $0.99. It's free to list as well at that price.

Uh yeah, about Worldwide. As long as it's small stuff like a Cell phone or a computer processor shipping is reasonable. However, you do not get free tracking with First class international, which is what I use. Also, always overcharge on shipping for worldwide. I would add at least $6-$7 on top of what the actual shipping cost is.

And you only get tracking to major destinations with USPS priority international, and it's a good $10-$15 more.

Last edited by toolbandfan : 05-29-2010 at 11:05 PM.
toolbandfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:11 AM #8
durrell

eBay is awesome for getting more money than something is worth. I have sold probably 10-12 cell phones on eBay and bought probably just as many.

Free shipping is key. People love that.

Start it as cheap as possible. 99 percent of the time you'll get what you hoped. Reserve prices scare buyers away.
durrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:37 AM #9
toolbandfan
The dude abides

Cell phones are probably good for that. But a lot of items on Ebay won't go for as much as you want when you consider the fees as well.

I had a processor I was selling end at $153. Final value fee of $13.82. The guy who bought it lived in Bahrain and payed extra for shipping, but I still lost $6.75 from Paypal as well.

It's really the only option online to sell much of anything online. It still seems expensive to me though. I hate how Ebay only let's you use Paypal now. They claimed it was for buyers safety. Bunch of bull****. It's just so they can make more money. I'm amazed nobody else has been able to compete with Ebay.

Last edited by toolbandfan : 05-30-2010 at 01:39 AM.
toolbandfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:50 AM #10
Dontcallmepete
BALLSOHARD

Dontcallmepete is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
sold my moment and pre, both sold in the same day for exactly what I wanted for them

just watch out for people biding high with 0 feedback, typically they dont pay
"Originally posted by Sp0rk: Pete's endorsed by over 20 liquor companies, he gets free **** all the time.
"Originally posted by SUR3 S}{oT: Southern Comfort:
Only thing that goes in and out of pete."
Dontcallmepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:38 PM #11
Zellv2
GRAAAAAAA

Zellv2 is playing at Living Legends III
Zellv2 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Zellv2 supports Team VICIOUS
Zellv2 is for the Gunfight
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbandfan View Post
Cell phones are probably good for that. But a lot of items on Ebay won't go for as much as you want when you consider the fees as well.

I had a processor I was selling end at $153. Final value fee of $13.82. The guy who bought it lived in Bahrain and payed extra for shipping, but I still lost $6.75 from Paypal as well.

It's really the only option online to sell much of anything online. It still seems expensive to me though. I hate how Ebay only let's you use Paypal now. They claimed it was for buyers safety. Bunch of bull****. It's just so they can make more money. I'm amazed nobody else has been able to compete with Ebay.
I still think you're an idiot for shipping internationally.
Dr. Pete gives us all useful advice
Zellv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:16 PM #12
toolbandfan
The dude abides

Well it probably won't burn my house down Zell.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:33 AM #13
Marko34256

Marko34256 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Marko34256 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
.99 auctions with free shipping and no reserve are the way to go.

you might wanna try craigslist as well--it's free
Old 06-01-2010, 12:39 AM #14
RHChan84
You Suck At Life! QUIT!!!

RHChan84 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
.99 auctions are always a plus and can't go wrong with that. But what I usually do is find what I'm selling and sell it for $50 less then average listing price and do free shipping.

Problem with CL is that it's aimed towards one community where as ebay allows people from all over to see it.
RHChan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:20 PM #15
Paintballpro777

I would reccomend trying to sell it on here first since it is free. Ebay really gets you when it comes to listing and final value fees. It would also be a good learning experience to sell it on ebay though. Really pretty easy once you get the hang of it. There are quite a few good books you can find at your library about advanced selling tips if you do decide to get into it. Good luck.
Paintballpro777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:25 PM #16
Khades
Free your mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintballpro777 View Post
I would reccomend trying to sell it on here first since it is free. Ebay really gets you when it comes to listing and final value fees. It would also be a good learning experience to sell it on ebay though. Really pretty easy once you get the hang of it. There are quite a few good books you can find at your library about advanced selling tips if you do decide to get into it. Good luck.
Yeah. I really, really like the B/S/T on this site.

GT: Smoootie
PSN: GibbedLOL
Khades is offline   Reply With Quote