Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: Should NY host the Superbowl in 2014?
Yes 16 59.26%
No 11 40.74%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2010, 04:46 PM #22
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire

madgoat has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I vote Buffalo for super bowl 2014!
Advertisement
Old 05-24-2010, 07:24 PM #23
reactionkilla
Go Pack Go.

has been a member for 10 years
Green Bay for whichever year they go!

Green Bay Packers
Miami Hurricanes
Michgan Wolverines
Denver Nuggets
reactionkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:17 PM #24
Fat_Joe
$OG$

Fat_Joe has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamapoLax View Post
Noise level in a dome will usually be louder than an open stadium regardless of the home team. A team that plays it's games in a dome will be more accustom to the higher levels of noise than a team that doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawke View Post
I think there would be an advantage in the sense that the Dome Home Team would be more accustomed to it than a Outdoor Home Team. Not having played in the NFL, I couldn't tell you how much of an advantage that would be.

Not really. Noise in a dome isnt generally going to be louder then an outdoor stadium. Considering Arrowhead and the old Mile High were in the Guiness Book or World Records for loudest stadiums in America for awhile. Dome noise is based on the home crowd, not the dome itself. During the Superbowl it wouldnt be so loud to the point it would effect one team or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.cocalino View Post
Isn't being the best meaning you can win regardless of the conditions? There will always be elements to overcome in a game outside of the weather. There's the indoor turf in a stadium, crowd noise, injuries, and a million other things. If you are the best, you can win in any element.

Of course, but winning in wet or cold doesnt generally make team A better then team B. If the Saints and Colts with their pass happy offenses had played in Giant Stadium where its frigid even on the nice days of winter, windy as ****, and generally ****ty, the game wouldnt have been nearly as entertaining. Winning in the elements is something you do when you have homefield advantage. If the site is supposed to be neutral, why potentially give an outdoor team from the north an advantage over even a team like Carolina, Tampa, Jacksonville, Tennessee, San Diego, Oakland, or San Fran. Its not so much about whether or not they can, but why should they be forced too?

Quote:
The crowd isn't equal?

If you REALLY are in favor of FULL neutrality then you would make it so each team has 50% of the stadium reserved for their fans.

The tickets sold are for whoever wants them. Of course 1 fan base will out number the other, but its not nearly the impact of a full blown home game.

Quote:
If all games have to deal with elements, why should the SB be any different. No stadium will ever offer neutrality. One issue is the turf. It will always be slightly different wherever you play. The fans will never be completely split and some will always be louder than others. You can't achieve neutrality in a stadium. A team has to prove they are the best in any condition. Teams ALWAYS have advantages over others, its just part of the game.

The turf is a horrid example. Theres only two surfaces in the NFL, grass and field turf, and I'm pretty sure each team has played on both to be comfortable with it. Its not like the old astro turf they used to have in Indy and New Orleans and the other domes. Fans being louder then the other is whatever, crowd noise is always a factor, but its always a factor in every game, home or away. If you cant achieve neutrality, why hold the game in a neutral location? Why not just let the team with the better record host the game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartyJones View Post
Also consider that NYC rarely gets blasted, so even if there were snow, it would likely be minimal, and grounds crew could deal with it before kickoff.

Rain, snow, sleet, and most importantly wind could essentially ground offenses that we want to see. Lets face it, we want to see the Superbowl be 48-45 in 2 OTs. Thats a hell of a game. While I can always appreciate a good 14-10 defensive battle, the majority of fans dont want that. The Superbowl is supposed to be Team A vs. Team B. Not Team A vs. Team B and the blizzard conditions.
Team Aircraft Carrier - Captain
Fat_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:43 PM #25
Tracheotripsy
Y'all can't handle this

There are northern teams that are passing teams (such as Green Bay), and there are warm-weather teams that run a lot (such as Jacksonville).

How do we know that two high-powered passing attacks are going to be in the Superbowl in 2014 or whatever year it is? What if you have two smashmouth, strong D teams in the Superbowl, in a dome? I'd rather see those teams duke it out in the weather.

Both teams have to deal with the ****ty weather, or lack thereof, every single game. Why should the Superbowl be different? Besides, some of the greatest NFL moments came in ****ty winter (tuck rule), and I want there to be more chances for that.

Also, I really doubt that ****ty weather is going to present problems selling tickets. It's the ****ing Super Bowl, it's a huge event and it's going to make assloads of money no matter where it is. I say go ahead and have it in New York.
Tracheotripsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:03 PM #26
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

licence_to_kill is reppin' sidebar 4 life
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill supports DLX Technology
i vote for the status quo

"Most Ron Paul supporters are domestic terrorists and racist liberal nazis." - John Elway
licence_to_kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:10 PM #27
Fat_Joe
$OG$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracheotripsy View Post
There are northern teams that are passing teams (such as Green Bay), and there are warm-weather teams that run a lot (such as Jacksonville).

Noted, but at the same time if you ended up with GB vs. Indy in an outdoor Superbowl, GB has a very large advantage in cold an bad weather conditions because its what they play in all year.

Quote:
How do we know that two high-powered passing attacks are going to be in the Superbowl in 2014 or whatever year it is? What if you have two smashmouth, strong D teams in the Superbowl, in a dome? I'd rather see those teams duke it out in the weather.

We dont know who will be in the SB, but even two defensive teams would make for a game where the weather can have an effect on how the ball bounces or where it goes.

Quote:
Both teams have to deal with the ****ty weather, or lack thereof, every single game. Why should the Superbowl be different? Besides, some of the greatest NFL moments came in ****ty winter (tuck rule), and I want there to be more chances for that.

Because the superbowl is supposed to be in a neutral site. If the weather conditions favor one team or the other it loses that. Look, if the Eagles got to the Superbowl against the Titans and it was snowing, one team has a clear advantage, and we all saw what happend to the Tits when they saw some snow this year.....

The playoffs are great for weather games because you play all season long trying to secure that #1 spot to get home field and gain that advantage to get to the Superbowl where weather can bail you out like it may in the playoffs.

Quote:
Also, I really doubt that ****ty weather is going to present problems selling tickets. It's the ****ing Super Bowl, it's a huge event and it's going to make assloads of money no matter where it is. I say go ahead and have it in New York.

If Detroit got the Superbowl, you'd have a tough time selling tickets for as much as you're accustomed to because the venue sucks ***. Not to say that Ny couldnt host a better SB then Detroit but it will leave a bad taste in the fans mouth.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:43 PM #28
Tracheotripsy
Y'all can't handle this

Well, Detroit already hosted a Superbowl this decade. I'm pretty sure they sold out just fine.

Don't most rich *** people who go to the Superbowl buy their tickets way in advance anyway? Can they even do that? When do they start selling SB tickets anyway? This is all mostly unrelated, but I've never even thought of it before.
Tracheotripsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:58 PM #29
Fat_Joe
$OG$

Honestly I've never been in the hunt for them so I wouldnt know, but the sentiment around the people who went to Detroit was that they'd never go back again it was so bad. People will always go and it will always sell out, but thats not to say its enjoyable.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:50 AM #30
mr.cocalino
Always getting trolled...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_Joe View Post

Of course, but winning in wet or cold doesnt generally make team A better then team B. If the Saints and Colts with their pass happy offenses had played in Giant Stadium where its frigid even on the nice days of winter, windy as ****, and generally ****ty, the game wouldnt have been nearly as entertaining. Winning in the elements is something you do when you have homefield advantage. If the site is supposed to be neutral, why potentially give an outdoor team from the north an advantage over even a team like Carolina, Tampa, Jacksonville, Tennessee, San Diego, Oakland, or San Fran. Its not so much about whether or not they can, but why should they be forced too?
But you can't make the site neutral until the teams have made the superbowl. How is playing in Miami or indoor fair for a team like Green Bay?

They should be forced to because teams have to overcome the elements. Its a part of the game. The purpose of sports isn't to see who is more skilled, its to see who can do better in a given situation. A sport like football or baseball has weather elements to deal with throughout the season. Why should the final game be any different? Lets say GB were to have homefield advantage throughout the playoffs and have the best record in football. Now lets say the SB is back in Tampa. Finally, the 6th seeded Dolphins go 10-6 and make a miraculous run to the SB. Shouldn't the Packers get to play in their type of weather?

Its unfair to say that a dome or a warm climate is neutral. It is also unfair to deprive other cities of hosting the SB because they don't have a dome. There is an advantage to being used to astro turf and I am sure there are slight variations in the different type of turf. Having someone try to decide a completely neutral site brings up a whole other host of problems.

Quote:
The tickets sold are for whoever wants them. Of course 1 fan base will out number the other, but its not nearly the impact of a full blown home game.
We've seen it before though. Remember Arizona v. Pittsburgh? That certainly felt like a home game for the Steelers.

[quote]
The turf is a horrid example. Theres only two surfaces in the NFL, grass and field turf, and I'm pretty sure each team has played on both to be comfortable with it. Its not like the old astro turf they used to have in Indy and New Orleans and the other domes. Fans being louder then the other is whatever, crowd noise is always a factor, but its always a factor in every game, home or away. If you cant achieve neutrality, why hold the game in a neutral location? Why not just let the team with the better record host the game?
Quote:

But some have clearly played on turf more than others. AFC east has no teams with domes while the NFC North and South each have two teams with domes. If we go to domes only, those teams have a distinct advantage and are more likely to get a home SB or a SB in a stadium they are very familiar with.

Why have a neutral location? Its a great question. I wouldn't mind seeing the best team get home field. It would make more sense. However, money talks. Its a cash grab, plain and simple. There is a reason why the SB is the biggest event in pro-sports in North America. They pick a site and plan week-long festivities. I'm sure it COULD be done the same way if we went with the best record after the conference games, it would just cost a **** load more and they would rather not wait that long to sell tickets and plan the festivities.

Rain, snow, sleet, and most importantly wind could essentially ground offenses that we want to see. Lets face it, we want to see the Superbowl be 48-45 in 2 OTs. Thats a hell of a game. While I can always appreciate a good 14-10 defensive battle, the majority of fans dont want that. The Superbowl is supposed to be Team A vs. Team B. Not Team A vs. Team B and the blizzard conditions.

"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: When Mr. C does push-ups, he doesnt go up, the Earth goes down..."

"Originally posted by RamapoLax: And girls panties get soaked."
mr.cocalino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:45 AM #31
Fat_Joe
$OG$

Quote:
But you can't make the site neutral until the teams have made the superbowl. How is playing in Miami or indoor fair for a team like Green Bay?

They should be forced to because teams have to overcome the elements. Its a part of the game.

The purpose of sports isn't to see who is more skilled,
Thats EXACTLY the point of sports. To determine the most skilled teams or players.

Quote:
its to see who can do better in a given situation. A sport like football or baseball has weather elements to deal with throughout the season. Why should the final game be any different? Lets say GB were to have homefield advantage throughout the playoffs and have the best record in football. Now lets say the SB is back in Tampa. Finally, the 6th seeded Dolphins go 10-6 and make a miraculous run to the SB. Shouldn't the Packers get to play in their type of weather?

You cannot possibly believe for even 1 second that playing in 65-75 degree weather is going to have an adverse effect on a team like the Packers. Its not always -50 in GB, they have nice warm days in September and October just the same. You will never, ever be able to convince me that somehow playing in 70 degree, clear nice weather is as much of a disadvantage to one team as playing in 28 degree, windy, wet conditions is to another. Thats not even a remotely decent argument.

Quote:
Its unfair to say that a dome or a warm climate is neutral. It is also unfair to deprive other cities of hosting the SB because they don't have a dome. There is an advantage to being used to astro turf and I am sure there are slight variations in the different type of turf. Having someone try to decide a completely neutral site brings up a whole other host of problems.

Astro turf is gone. It is no longer in use by any teams in the NFL. The last place to have it was either Minnesota or Indy IIRC. Anyone who has artificial turf uses field turf, which is all the same. Its exactly the same at Gillette as it is at my local high school. There is no difference in it, and I could look, but I'm pretty sure at one point, every team plays a game on field turf because only the AFC North and West dont have a stadium with it. Every other division in football has at least one team that uses field turf, and all the teams that have indoor practice facilities, guess what they use? Yup. Field turf. So to say teams are not accustomed to the turf is again an invalid argument.

Quote:
We've seen it before though. Remember Arizona v. Pittsburgh? That certainly felt like a home game for the Steelers.

Right but it was fair game for anyone to attend. It wasnt like the Steelers were allowed to offer more tickets to their fans then the Cardinals, the Steeler fans just travel better. That is bound to happen, but it certainly didnt seem to have much of an effect on the Cardinals when they took the lead with 2:46 to go.

Quote:
But some have clearly played on turf more than others. AFC east has no teams with domes while the NFC North and South each have two teams with domes. If we go to domes only, those teams have a distinct advantage and are more likely to get a home SB or a SB in a stadium they are very familiar with.

Like I said, turf is in every division with the exception of 2. So I'll address the notion that a dome is somehow an advantage to a dome team. Domes offer shelter from the elements, thats it. If there are no outside elements like weather to act upon the game, there is no distinct advantage to any team playing in a dome. Noise is not louder, like I said two outdoor stadiums held the record for loudest in the NFL for years, so to say being in a dome presents an advantage is false.

Quote:
Why have a neutral location? Its a great question. I wouldn't mind seeing the best team get home field. It would make more sense. However, money talks. Its a cash grab, plain and simple. There is a reason why the SB is the biggest event in pro-sports in North America. They pick a site and plan week-long festivities. I'm sure it COULD be done the same way if we went with the best record after the conference games, it would just cost a **** load more and they would rather not wait that long to sell tickets and plan the festivities.

Oh trust me I'm aware of the economics of it all, I just dont see the point of having an outdoor, cold weather Superbowl where the odds of having bad weather are much much higher then in a southern outdoor stadium like Qualcomm or Miami.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:13 PM #32
mr.cocalino

I realize the skilled comment came out weird, but I think you are taking it the wrong way. I am trying to say that PURE skill doesn't determine who wins. If this was the case, the Colts would have more rings by now. The elements are always at play, large and small.

I still think that the best record at the end of the conference championships should determine home field. Random neutral sites are never that, and there are many different ways of examining it.

As for the Packers, if they have home field in the playoffs in January, they gain an advantage because they have the experience of playing outdoors in the cold. While playing in the warm weather won't be as big a disadvantage for the Packers, they would GAIN an advantage by playing in the cold over a team from the south. One team will always be at some kind of disadvantage, the SB in NY would just give an advantage to teams that play in the cold. Its obviously harder for both teams and brings in the elements, but that's a part of football as well. There have been tons of great games and SB's that have succumbed to adverse weather conditions. I don't consider those wins any less valid because of the weather.

"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: When Mr. C does push-ups, he doesnt go up, the Earth goes down..."

Old 05-25-2010, 03:15 PM #33
JJags32MJD
DTWD

YES! South Florida out.

COME ON NEW YORK/NEW JERSEY!
JJags32MJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:23 PM #34
JJags32MJD
DTWD

Haha **** yeah.
JJags32MJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:26 PM #35
Kolder
The Commish

Annual Supporting Member
Kolder is a Mega Moderator
Kolder is a Supporting Member
Kolder is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
Kolder is Immortal
Well it's official. I'm in the it's bull**** camp. I hate that the weather is going to have an effect on the most important football game of the year.

██████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████
Kolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:35 PM #36
SpyderPB819

SpyderPB819 donated to help Peyton Trent
My problem isn't that the weather will effect the game... If you can't through a game because it's a little cold, you aren't a ****ing world champion. My concern with the weather is the EVENT that is the Super Bowl. All the activities leading up to it are so much better in an environment like South Florida.
SpyderPB819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:48 PM #37
mr.cocalino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolder View Post
Well it's official. I'm in the it's bull**** camp. I hate that the weather is going to have an effect on the most important football game of the year.
Sigh. Again, remember the Colts/Bears in Miami? It rained and had an effect on the game.

You have to overcome the elements. If its not the weather, you have a key injury. If its not a key injury, its a half time show that lasts too long and makes a players legs tighten up.

There are so many elements to account for, who cares if the weather becomes one? Shouldn't that just make it more exciting?

Old 05-25-2010, 03:58 PM #38
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

licence_to_kill is reppin' sidebar 4 life
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderPB819 View Post
My problem isn't that the weather will effect the game... If you can't through a game because it's a little cold, you aren't a ****ing world champion. My concern with the weather is the EVENT that is the Super Bowl. All the activities leading up to it are so much better in an environment like South Florida.
Its not like New York has a lack of activites though. It just won't be a party at the beach

"Most Ron Paul supporters are domestic terrorists and racist liberal nazis." - John Elway
licence_to_kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:26 PM #39
Fat_Joe
$OG$

Quote:
I realize the skilled comment came out weird, but I think you are taking it the wrong way. I am trying to say that PURE skill doesn't determine who wins. If this was the case, the Colts would have more rings by now. The elements are always at play, large and small.

Of course they play a part in it, but they shouldnt in the Superbowl.

Quote:
I still think that the best record at the end of the conference championships should determine home field. Random neutral sites are never that, and there are many different ways of examining it.

Yea, but we already concluded that wouldnt happen if the city of choice only had 2 weeks to prepare for the game. Theres a reason why they're announcing the 2014 Superbowl now.

Quote:
As for the Packers, if they have home field in the playoffs in January, they gain an advantage because they have the experience of playing outdoors in the cold. While playing in the warm weather won't be as big a disadvantage for the Packers, they would GAIN an advantage by playing in the cold over a team from the south. One team will always be at some kind of disadvantage, the SB in NY would just give an advantage to teams that play in the cold. Its obviously harder for both teams and brings in the elements, but that's a part of football as well. There have been tons of great games and SB's that have succumbed to adverse weather conditions. I don't consider those wins any less valid because of the weather.
Only once has that happend.

Right, it gives a clear distinct advantage to the team that plays in cold weather. Pittsburgh and Dallas may have two very equal teams in terms of talent but that bad weather may make the difference for Pittsburgh. Its flat out an unfair advantage. Theres no other way to spin it.

Last edited by Fat_Joe : 05-25-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:26 PM #40
Featherlite 07
straight cash homie

has been a member for 10 years
Featherlite 07 is playing at Living Legends III
Featherlite 07 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
If your going to say a team that plays in the cold has an advantage in the cold, why wouldn't you say a team that plays in a dome has an advantage in a dome?

I just think its gay that they have a "rule" that says no superbowl will be played outdoors in a cold weather climate, except of course if its new york. I think that's bull****. Make the rule consistent for all teams. If NY wanted a SB, they should have built a dome.

2010 Audi S4
2006 BMW M5 (Sold)
ST:A - We pass school busses at 140

"That is the unmistakable low rumble of a turbocharged flat 4, which signals the imminent arrival of a moron." -J. Clarkson
Featherlite 07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:54 PM #41
Fat_Joe
$OG$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherlite 07 View Post
If your going to say a team that plays in the cold has an advantage in the cold, why wouldn't you say a team that plays in a dome has an advantage in a dome?

Because in Cowboy Stadium next February, the two teams playing regardless if ones a dome team or not wont have an advantage. There is no advantage to playing in a NEUTRAL dome. I dont see why this is so hard to comprehend.

Quote:
I just think its gay that they have a "rule" that says no superbowl will be played outdoors in a cold weather climate, except of course if its new york. I think that's bull****. Make the rule consistent for all teams. If NY wanted a SB, they should have built a dome.

Agreed. KC wanted the Superbowl a few years back, they told them to put a retractable roof on Arrowhead. NY whines and *****es and they get the ****ing Superbowl first try.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:58 PM #42
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire

madgoat has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_Joe View Post
Because in Cowboy Stadium next February, the two teams playing regardless if ones a dome team or not wont have an advantage. There is no advantage to playing in a NEUTRAL dome. I dont see why this is so hard to comprehend.

Agreed. KC wanted the Superbowl a few years back, they told them to put a retractable roof on Arrowhead. JY whines and *****es and they get the ****ing Superbowl first try.
I corrected your post but it was one letter and its going to be hard to find.