PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-23-2010, 07:52 PM #1
mrtramplefoot
I dont really own a Luxe

mrtramplefoot supports DLX Technology
How can i get around the At&t mandatory data plan??

i was thinking that since they dont charge you it if you use an unlocked phone i would just have my dad get it with my upgrade(since he already has the plan for his iphone) then just have him switch back to his iphone and id unlock it and use it with my sim

has anyone tried this or know another way to get around the stupid requirement??

btw looking at the htc tilt2 or Pure

"Originally posted by Ziya92: Apple in all their creativity could have chosen, at the very least, a flavorful cultivar such as the Blenheim Orange. "

"Originally posted by {InsertUsernameHere}: lol france."
mrtramplefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2010, 07:55 PM #2
paintballbum
.ılıl.

paintballbum is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
they require a data plan because it offsets the subsidized price of the phone. The only way around is to buy an unlocked phone
paintballbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:59 PM #3
mrtramplefoot
I dont really own a Luxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballbum View Post
they require a data plan because it offsets the subsidized price of the phone. The only way around is to buy an unlocked phone
yeah but will unlocking it myself work?? i understand why they do it, i just think its ****ing retarded

"Originally posted by Ziya92: Apple in all their creativity could have chosen, at the very least, a flavorful cultivar such as the Blenheim Orange. "

Old 05-23-2010, 08:02 PM #4
paintballbum
.ılıl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtramplefoot View Post
yeah but will unlocking it myself work?? i understand why they do it, i just think its ****ing retarded
Yes as long as it works on the ATT frequencys. Besides a smart phone without a data plan is dumb
Old 05-23-2010, 08:05 PM #5
mrtramplefoot
I dont really own a Luxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballbum View Post
Yes as long as it works on the ATT frequencys. Besides a smart phone without a data plan is dumb
many people say that, but it really isnt. smartphones are the best txting phones with other nice capabilities that dont require internet

Old 05-23-2010, 09:39 PM #6
hedgehogsforprez

hedgehogsforprez is a founding member
until you accidently click youtube (if you get an iphone) or any other bandwidth sucking app 25 times and end up paying for the amount downloaded.
hedgehogsforprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:40 PM #7
paintballbum
.ılıl.

not to mention any app that has ads will use bandwidth to download the ads
Old 05-23-2010, 10:06 PM #8
Mr Carlos
My real name is Alex.

it is possible to do that. but unlock it, and make it clear that you are not using any kind of smartphone. but get something with wifi.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:53 AM #9
mrtramplefoot
I dont really own a Luxe

NOT GETTING AN IPHONE HTC Tilt2 or Pure

Old 05-24-2010, 09:42 AM #10
mcion (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtramplefoot View Post
NOT GETTING AN IPHONE HTC Tilt2 or Pure
Those also have apps that come on them that can use badnwidth weather apps, or even facebooks sync you are better off getting some sort of data plan
mcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:17 AM #11
cww516
clever text goes here

cww516 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
have at&t block any kind of data usage on your line, then get the new phone.
cww516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:13 AM #12
tuna

As long as you aren't using data, I think that you could save another $10 to $20 a month by switching to T-Mobile. You can't get 3G on the iPhone on T-Mobile but if you aren't using data anyway...

I hope that all these rumors of Verizon and Sprint iPhones come true. Hopefully this results in some sort of competition in subscription rates. I think that Apple could have sold a ton more iPhones if they made it for every provider, spurring them to compete on rates. And they could have sold even more by selling them unlocked and unsubsidized so that people would be free to move amongst providers.

Last edited by tuna : 05-24-2010 at 11:16 AM.
tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:56 AM #13
Dontcallmepete
BALLSOHARD

Dontcallmepete is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna View Post
As long as you aren't using data, I think that you could save another $10 to $20 a month by switching to T-Mobile. You can't get 3G on the iPhone on T-Mobile but if you aren't using data anyway...

I hope that all these rumors of Verizon and Sprint iPhones come true. Hopefully this results in some sort of competition in subscription rates. I think that Apple could have sold a ton more iPhones if they made it for every provider, spurring them to compete on rates. And they could have sold even more by selling them unlocked and unsubsidized so that people would be free to move amongst providers.
sprint wont,

sprint prides its self on value for the customer and loading a bunch of iphones onto their network wouldn't be in line with that. Additionally they are spending a lot of money, time, and effort on the evo with the launch of the iphone so soon it would be very unlikely for them to jump on that too.

Even if the iphone goes to verizon there wont be any change in rates, just change in service. Verizon will offer it for the same exact price as att... I mean, why would a company with better service offer the same device for less? Their service will sell the phone alone.
"Originally posted by Sp0rk: Pete's endorsed by over 20 liquor companies, he gets free **** all the time.
"Originally posted by SUR3 S}{oT: Southern Comfort:
Only thing that goes in and out of pete."
Dontcallmepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:57 PM #14
mrtramplefoot
I dont really own a Luxe

Im not switching carriers, im on my parents plan and just forget about any accidental usage, i dont do that stuff on my phone now and im planning on doing it then. I just want to know if it can be done, thats it

Old 05-26-2010, 06:15 PM #15
download00502
Really a 1776er

Here's how you do it. Buy a smart phone from somewhere outside of att, off contract, like a nexus one from google (best option if you have the money) or a used iphone on ebay that is either locked to att or unlocked. Call up att with your non-smart phone and tell them to put a data block on your account. Put the sim in the smartphone and have fun.

To the haters:
I have done this when I gave my sister an iphone for her birthday, as long as she had wifi she didn't know the difference. She loves it.

Last edited by download00502 : 05-26-2010 at 06:19 PM.
download00502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:43 PM #16
Absolutt (Banned)
Better than you.

Here's an idea:

Dont buy a phone you cant afford

smart phone without data plan = useless.
Absolutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:13 PM #17
DayoftheGreek
I hate you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutt View Post
Here's an idea:

Except anyone in college (you might have heard of it) is probably around wifi 24/7. I want the apps and features of a smart phone, but I don't give a **** about browsing slow as hell, $30/month 3g bull****.

1/30/08: I was there when the plane flew but everyone was still stupid.
DayoftheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:15 PM #18
DayoftheGreek
I hate you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Carlos View Post
it is possible to do that. but unlock it, and make it clear that you are not using any kind of smartphone. but get something with wifi.
Everything with wifi counts as a smart phone. At least this is what I have seen in my research.

1/30/08: I was there when the plane flew but everyone was still stupid.
DayoftheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:53 PM #19
mrtramplefoot
I dont really own a Luxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutt View Post
Here's an idea:

heres an idea

you= an idiot

the phone i can afford its free after rebate its the bull**** $30 a month i cant afford, im a kid in high school, i dont need the internet on my phone

Old 05-26-2010, 08:54 PM #20
mrtramplefoot
I dont really own a Luxe

oh and i cant put a data block on it cuz i have txting and they wont let you

Old 05-26-2010, 09:28 PM #21
noob owner

noob owner owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
noob owner supports Team VICIOUS
I worked for AT&T Customer care no matter what route you try taking eventually it will get added on. Their system automatically adds the data plan on their as soon as they pull the IMEI and it's a smartphone or a iphone. Expecially iphones their is no way in gods green earth, the only way is if you had a smartphone exclusion added to the account in the past before they were mandatory. If not your **** out of luck, unlock it and go with another carrier if you don't want the data plan only way sorry.