Old 09-22-2015, 03:06 PM #1
h0wb0y
Soaking Up The Knowledge

Annual Supporting Member
h0wb0y has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
h0wb0y has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
h0wb0y supports DLX Technology
Field Maintenance

A while back, I decided to vault over a downed tree playing woodsball at a non-local but psuedo-regional field. The tree was probably about three feet in diameter. As I was coming over the top, I saw a broken branch on the other side poking straight up in the air where I was about to land - and I was already committed!

I landed with the tree branch spearing me in the gooch. I truly believe the ONLY reason I was not literally impaled was because I had tough paintball paints, sliding shorts, and boxers on.

As I just dangled there - with a tree almost inside me - I could not help but to bust out laughing --- because it had to look ridiculous.

I let the refs know that they should probably cut that branch so it does not hurt anyone else. We all laughed about it more and it was a good day. Several months later, it is still there.

Now - I fully understand that the refs/field owners can't possibly eliminate every single risk proactively. It is impossible. However, with that said, would you not think that if someone specifically brings an issue to your attention that you should probably take care of it?

I know that I made the decision to vault that log - but it is in a very strategic spot and someone else is bound to be less lucky. Yes - we all sign waivers - but that does not mean you should turn a cold (or lazy) shoulder towards the human beings that love the sport and keep your doors open.

I think one of these weekends, I am going to talk to the owner and see if he cares if I break out a handsaw and take care of it for them - and the safety of the players. The field is not local - and I plan on playing my local fields the next few weeks.

I am not mad in any way - I am simply hoping to gain some perspective from players, refs, and maybe even field owners in here.

It is never good to complain without a solution in mind and the willingness to take care of the issue yourself - I just don't really want to step on any toes.

Thoughts?
h0wb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-22-2015, 03:39 PM #2
Pump Scout
Old gun,new gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Pump Scout is playing at Living Legends IX
Pump Scout is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
Pump Scout supports Ninja Paintball
I've stopped going to a certain field because of similar safety concerns. Netting that's been fallen for years. Downed trees that aren't really down all the way. Bunkers with exposed nails. And that's just the physical problems with the field, not getting into reffing and other staff problems. That's a field I'd been going to for 20+ years. I won't be back, unfortunately.

Hopefully the owner at the field you were at will be willing to fix the problem if it's brought up directly to him. Sometimes refs don't convey a message quite all the way, or forget by the end of the day when they just want to change out of ref gear and get home.
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:37 AM #3
RickRoss1845

The field near me recently had some safety issues and shut down for a while to correct them with a new owner.
RickRoss1845 is offline   Reply With Quote