Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-01-2010, 08:43 PM #1
Animalm0ther3
The Stig, [])anny, df04

Should I be worried that Im not going to pass the APFT?

So I signed up for AROTC in the fall and have a diagnostic APFT in 3 days. It will be to "determine if I have the physical ability to participate in ROTC" but there is apparently no "minimum" score. Ive been working to meet the standards (about 7 short for pushups and a minute too slow for the 2 mile) but theres a pretty good chance I wont meet the minimum requirements. How bad is this?

"Originally posted by so_FLY: i've heard one beer adds .1 to your BAC, so he had 79 beers?"
Animalm0ther3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2010, 08:51 PM #2
DyePaintballer2k11
Greek, I am it

DyePaintballer2k11 helped look for balloons
DyePaintballer2k11 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DyePaintballer2k11 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
DyePaintballer2k11 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I can't answer how bad it is, but on the running part:

Don't think. Breathe. That's all you need to do. Get a steady breath and you an run forever. Then push yourself just a little bit harder. Keep your pace and keep your breathing in tune. One minute will go down to maybe seconds off.

USAF
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine.
And the machine is bleeding to death.
DyePaintballer2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:29 PM #3
SniperForce-Duffek
Delta Farce

SniperForce-Duffek plays in the APPA D5 division
Considering they are kicking everyone out of the army if they are PT failures, it isn't looking good. Army is down sizing whether people want to believe it or not.

"May god have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't."
G.S.P
SniperForce-Duffek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:16 AM #4
generalee72
Knight who says Ni

generalee72 is a Moderator
generalee72 is a Supporting Member
generalee72 donated to help Peyton Trent
generalee72 supports our troops
generalee72 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
generalee72 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyePaintballer2k11 View Post
......Don't think. Breathe. That's all you need to do. Get a steady breath and you an run forever. Then push yourself just a little bit harder. Keep your pace and keep your breathing in tune. One minute will go down to maybe seconds off.
This.

It's kind of a "too little too late" situation, if you have 3 days there is little to be done at this point.

I was never a strong PFT runner, well any running really, I did good with ruck runs but that just because 50lbs to me wasn't as big of a deal as 50lbs to someone skinny.

But anyways I had a CWO that used to enjoy speeding up during the last mile or so of our runs until he lost everyone, then circle back up collect the group and repeat. One day I ended up behind him, cleared my mind, focused on a mole in the back of his head, steady breathing and kept pace for so long that once he finally realized it was only me keeping up he just stopped running and stared at me trying to figure out what was going on. I almost passed out once my brain/body figured out what had just happened. Point is, don't think about running, just get a pace, force a breathing rhythm and send your brain on a little vacation. It can be a little tough to do at first, but you have to find something that works for you and use it.

Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. –Lou Holtz (via-John Maxwell)

Advice for the thread: "how to open a paintball store"
NastyShock3r: hey guy's i live in miami i need help to open a paintball store can anyone help or can tell me what i need to do?
midstatepaintball: That's easy! Just push on the front door of the store if it says "push", or pull on the door if it says "pull".
generalee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:50 AM #5
Animalm0ther3
The Stig, [])anny, df04

Thanks for the tips on running, its looking to be like a mental game I have to conquer. But I cannot for the life of me do 42 pushups, is there a certain form or hand width that is easiest? And should I be trying to do them quick before my muscles get tired or slow to pace myself?

"Originally posted by so_FLY: i've heard one beer adds .1 to your BAC, so he had 79 beers?"
Old 05-02-2010, 09:46 AM #6
SniperForce-Duffek
Delta Farce

Start off normal then when you get tired slide them out further and do wide arm. There is no specification on how close/far your arms have to be. long as you straighten them out when your up and break the plain when your down.

Edit: Forgot to mention you can also have your feet up to 12 inches apart. Sometimes that helps as well.

G.S.P
Old 05-02-2010, 11:27 AM #7
DyePaintballer2k11
Greek, I am it

DyePaintballer2k11 helped look for balloons
DyePaintballer2k11 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DyePaintballer2k11 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
DyePaintballer2k11 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animalm0ther3 View Post
Thanks for the tips on running, its looking to be like a mental game I have to conquer. But I cannot for the life of me do 42 pushups, is there a certain form or hand width that is easiest? And should I be trying to do them quick before my muscles get tired or slow to pace myself?
I don't have the best advice there, and I can't do 42 for the life of me either. But if this test is important then don't think about a number. Don't count. If someone is counting out loud, don't listen. Just keep thinking one more, and don't think about your arms getting tired.

Basically any endurance test is a mind game. The human body is capable of amazing things. Mothers lifting cars off of their children and ****.

edit-I did read that stretching the opposite muscles of what you will work with will help a ton. Like if you are working your chest, stretch your back or something like that.

USAF
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine.
And the machine is bleeding to death.
DyePaintballer2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:38 AM #8
babsa_90

For some reason that little "don't think" trick doesn't help me very much. When i stop thinking about what i am doing i end up slowing down.
babsa_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:35 PM #9
generalee72
Knight who says Ni

generalee72 is a Moderator
generalee72 is a Supporting Member
generalee72 donated to help Peyton Trent
generalee72 supports our troops
generalee72 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
generalee72 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
The "don't think" trick does require a balance between getting sidetracked and too much focus.

The key there is to not think about success, failure, or the specifics of whats happening. Just think about each push itself, but don't think about how many were done, or how many are left.

Also the switching of position can help, but it's good to know what works for you beforehand. Go to close, or to wide and you an mess the whole thing up quicker.

Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. –Lou Holtz (via-John Maxwell)

Advice for the thread: "how to open a paintball store"
NastyShock3r: hey guy's i live in miami i need help to open a paintball store can anyone help or can tell me what i need to do?
midstatepaintball: That's easy! Just push on the front door of the store if it says "push", or pull on the door if it says "pull".
generalee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:47 PM #10
KingTomis

has been a member for 10 years
KingTomis supports our troops
also remember not to fatigue your muscles when lowering your upperbody.

You should explode up, pretty much let your body drop with no resistance from your arms then explode back up, repeat many times moar. Lot's of people doing pushups for the first time waste half their energy slowly lowering themselves and wasting a good amount of their muscle fatigue.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:37 PM #11
xFortune (Banned)
Tremble little lion man

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTomis View Post
also remember not to fatigue your muscles when lowering your upperbody.

You should explode up, pretty much let your body drop with no resistance from your arms then explode back up, repeat many times moar. Lot's of people doing pushups for the first time waste half their energy slowly lowering themselves and wasting a good amount of their muscle fatigue.

Dot. Helps you get an extra 10+ at least.

Also do the heel, toe technique on sit ups. Alternating between using your quads and abs helps. And don't count in your head how many you are doing on either event, it'll totally **** up your breathing. Breathe in going down, explode up.
xFortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:13 AM #12
NorKaLKiLLa
Seen a lot of combat?

has been a member for 10 years
smoke pcp
Old 05-03-2010, 04:33 AM #13
e6mafia
the last enemy is death

well it all depends i am going to assume you havent passed one yet so you are not contracted. so you wont lose any money or be put on probation. they should still let you do labs and activities as long as you can pass your physical. also another trick i do before all my apft is to put iceyhot on my shoulders and arms you wont notice the burn as much
e6mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:16 AM #14
Animalm0ther3
The Stig, [])anny, df04

Thanks for the advice, I ended up with 40 pushups, 35 situps and an 18:28 2 mile (**** cramps). I have work to do this summer.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:30 PM #15
SniperForce-Duffek
Delta Farce

do 100 push ups a day and start running 3 times a week at least 4+ miles. Only way to get better at doing push ups and sit ups is by doing push ups and sit ups. To work on your run time you need to work on your cardio but also keep in mind you need to strengthen your legs, squats, lunges...etc. Try hitting up a crossfit gym. When I was doing crossfit I was in the best shape of my life.

G.S.P
Old 05-03-2010, 10:26 PM #16
kida2
To The Strongest

kida2 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperForce-Duffek View Post
Considering they are kicking everyone out of the army if they are PT failures, it isn't looking good. Army is down sizing whether people want to believe it or not.
Um.... there are tons of fat kids in the Army. Guys that have been fat kids for years.
I want to rage against the world. I want to beat it into submission. I want it to see the hate in my eyes, to feel the rage pouring out of me in blow after blow delivered in a fury that could only be fueled by insanity. I want to shake it so violently that it's afraid it may break and I want to scream with such primal ferocity that it reaches back into the darkest parts of an age when men cowered in caves at the sound of demons. Then, after the wave has subsided and I let go I want to watch it slump into a broken mass, whimpering. When the word "why?" crosses it's bloody swollen lips the only reply that will come is "yes... why?".
kida2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:51 AM #17
SniperForce-Duffek
Delta Farce

Quote:
Originally Posted by kida2 View Post
Um.... there are tons of fat kids in the Army. Guys that have been fat kids for years.
I know but now they're getting around to kicking the fatties and PT failures out. There is about 6 in my platoon that will be gone soon. You know how many fat people there are in 1st Cav? We'll be down to about 12 guys for the whole division soon enough.

G.S.P
Old 05-04-2010, 11:46 AM #18
xFortune (Banned)
Tremble little lion man

Around 12k a year get kicked out for PT failures in the military.
xFortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:16 PM #19
Animalm0ther3
The Stig, [])anny, df04

Wow, that sounds like a good way to retire earlier than the army would like.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:14 PM #20
kida2
To The Strongest

kida2 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperForce-Duffek View Post
I know but now they're getting around to kicking the fatties and PT failures out. There is about 6 in my platoon that will be gone soon. You know how many fat people there are in 1st Cav? We'll be down to about 12 guys for the whole division soon enough.
What unit are you in down here? I'm in HHC 1-12 Cav 3rd Bde.
I want to rage against the world. I want to beat it into submission. I want it to see the hate in my eyes, to feel the rage pouring out of me in blow after blow delivered in a fury that could only be fueled by insanity. I want to shake it so violently that it's afraid it may break and I want to scream with such primal ferocity that it reaches back into the darkest parts of an age when men cowered in caves at the sound of demons. Then, after the wave has subsided and I let go I want to watch it slump into a broken mass, whimpering. When the word "why?" crosses it's bloody swollen lips the only reply that will come is "yes... why?".
kida2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:32 PM #21
Big Johnny D (Banned)
<3 Tits <3

Pacing like half of 1/3 ACR's 17-21 APFT Failures tomorrow at 0600 haha, drunk now. lol.
Big Johnny D is offline   Reply With Quote