PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-15-2010, 03:14 PM #1
CaseySmith2010
BonusBalled!

Navy Nukes??

Im 18, just about done with Highschool and was looking into the military to serve my country somehow. Eventually I decided I wanted to go to the Navy for Nuke.

I EST'd a 94 and my recruiter says the EST is designed to be a tad tougher than the ASVAB so my score will most likely go up.

I just want to know how its lookin for Nukes out of the Navy because from the people Ive talked to (not just my recruiter) our country is moving big time to nuclear energy and people out of the Navy are the best Nukes around and their getting picked up like crazy for really nice salaries. just wondering if theres anybody out there who has been a Nuke and knows any info as far as what Im looking at coming out of the Navy, this is assuming that I get right out after my first stint
CaseySmith2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-15-2010, 10:28 PM #2
warSSaw
INTERGALACTIC PLANETARY

I'm in the nuc pipeline so I don't know much, but there are some couple actual nucs that might be able to answer your question.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:18 AM #3
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
There always have been jobs for nuclear trained personnel with civilian plants. Outside of that, it is all how you sell yourself and what certs and degrees you have.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:12 AM #4
hiddenphantom

First off I am a nuke so I am not talking out my butt with this info.
Right now the Navy NEEDS freaking nukes, and are throwing nice re-enlistment bonuses at them, between 75-90K for the first 90K for the second and 100K for the third. As far as jobs afterwards, as long as you try and get a job, and you keep your nose fairly clean while your in. There are some nice jobs out there. Nuclear power plants, if you can still stomach being in nuclear power after the navy, will take a nuke with 6 yrs exp qualified senior in rate, which you have to qualify on the boat, with no degree way before they will take a college kid with a master's with no exp. The other great thing is there many many other jobs that you can have bc nukes go everywhere it seems. I just had a guy take a supervisor position for an elevator company making 70kish a year plus extras. The closest thing to working on an elevator he has ever done was push the button to go to the second floor. So, what I am saying is yes you can get a job on the outside after being a nuke.

My question to you is "are you willing to work you butt off?" Nukes get paid more "lol" because we do more. On a submarine the top 3 divisions for work is E-div, nuke electricians, M-div, nuke MMs and then A-gang conventional MMs except on SSN 774 classes then replace E with RC-div the nuke ETs. If you want more info on a nuke life just PM me.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:55 AM #5
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is Legendary
Packing a degree's worth of instruction into an A school, without getting the degree from it, made it not worth it for me. Regardless of the reenlistment bonuses.

When is it worth the effort?

rediculous schooling, nearly non-stop inspections (nearly every run), lots of stupid training, start-up and shut down, D&D, I can keep going. If those things turn you on, be a nuke.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:31 AM #6
hiddenphantom

Now there are degree programs that are centered around the nuke field, yes some of the easier ones to get are not ABET but they are all regional accepted. D&D??lol
Old 05-17-2010, 03:50 PM #7
CaseySmith2010
BonusBalled!

Uhmm question. how do I PM someone?? I cant find it
Old 05-17-2010, 08:43 PM #8
underdog_153

make sure they dont put a snuke in you snizz
Old 05-18-2010, 02:14 AM #9
babsa_90

GL with the schooling, I see nuke drops all the time coming into GL to be ET's/some other tech rate. I guess the bright side is you keep your crows if you drop out of school.
babsa_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:36 AM #10
chinqlinq

has been a member for 10 years
chinqlinq plays in the USPL
chinqlinq plays in the PSP
from what i read and was told time after time when i was looking into the nuke program was that you need to have crazy good work ethics and study habits.

if you were the type to put off homework and studying to hang out or just shoot the **** in highschool, youll most likely wash out of one part of nuke school or another. heard its like cramming 4 years of college into 2 years and sunup to sundown work hours.

as much as i wanted to convince myself that i could do it, i came to the conclusion that id prob shoot myself in the face a year into it.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:24 PM #11
babsa_90

Yes, i heard the same chinqlinq, and from what i heard your job doesnt get any easier after your schooling.
babsa_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:34 PM #12
hiddenphantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinqlinq View Post
from what i read and was told time after time when i was looking into the nuke program was that you need to have crazy good work ethics and study habits.

if you were the type to put off homework and studying to hang out or just shoot the **** in highschool, youll most likely wash out of one part of nuke school or another. heard its like cramming 4 years of college into 2 years and sunup to sundown work hours.

as much as i wanted to convince myself that i could do it, i came to the conclusion that id prob shoot myself in the face a year into it.
That was the old school ways but now its more of a pump than a strainer. You don't get to drop out of school either. If you quit they find the worst job that they can to send you to but if you work your butt off and you can't make the grades they usually will help you out to get into something you choose if possible. The crazy work ethics are forced upon you for sure and you do learn study habits or drown trying.

Once you do finish school and get to the fleet the first year (on subs) is pretty much school with sea time. Once you get qualified senoir in rate which is Reactor Operator (ET), Shutdown Reactor Operator (EM), and Engine Room Supervisior (MM/ELT) life does get better but the hours will always suck till you get to shore duty (me now ). Nuke school is in Charleston, SC which is very nice and paintball of charleston is a great place to play. As long as you keep you grades up and out of trouble you have the weekends off mostly (you still have to study). Then you go to Prototype which means old freaking design and you operate a engine room for training for 6 months before you go to your first boat/ship. If your thinking about joining as a nuke understand 3 things 1) you don't get to decide your rate it is picked for you. 2) you get more pay and more work hours (usually) and 3) being a nuke once your out is worth gold in the energy career path as long as your evals say that your competent.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:24 PM #13
chinqlinq

has been a member for 10 years
chinqlinq plays in the USPL
chinqlinq plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenphantom View Post
That was the old school ways but now its more of a pump than a strainer. You don't get to drop out of school either. If you quit they find the worst job that they can to send you to but if you work your butt off and you can't make the grades they usually will help you out to get into something you choose if possible. The crazy work ethics are forced upon you for sure and you do learn study habits or drown trying.

Once you do finish school and get to the fleet the first year (on subs) is pretty much school with sea time. Once you get qualified senoir in rate which is Reactor Operator (ET), Shutdown Reactor Operator (EM), and Engine Room Supervisior (MM/ELT) life does get better but the hours will always suck till you get to shore duty (me now ). Nuke school is in Charleston, SC which is very nice and paintball of charleston is a great place to play. As long as you keep you grades up and out of trouble you have the weekends off mostly (you still have to study). Then you go to Prototype which means old freaking design and you operate a engine room for training for 6 months before you go to your first boat/ship. If your thinking about joining as a nuke understand 3 things 1) you don't get to decide your rate it is picked for you. 2) you get more pay and more work hours (usually) and 3) being a nuke once your out is worth gold in the energy career path as long as your evals say that your competent.
would you say the training and schooling for nukes is more smarts or more hardwork or 50/50.

be honest, how much of a life do you have in the first 2 years of training? because the way i perceived it was that you pretty much do a whole day of school and training, then when you get back to your racks or whatever, you go and study more then go to sleep.

Last edited by chinqlinq : 05-20-2010 at 02:27 PM.
chinqlinq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:33 AM #14
TheNforcer
RIP DIO 1942-2010

TheNforcer plays in the PSP
TheNforcer owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
TheNforcer owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
TheNforcer has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Funny that this was posted. My brother just left on Wednesday to start basic, he's enlisted to be a Nuke. He was telling me what his recruiter said, and out of all the recruits in the W.PA, W.NY and WV area, only 3 of them were assigned jobs and they were all Nukes. Right now, if you plan on getting in in a timely fashion (my brother enlisted in November and just shipped) they are only taking Nukes. Everybody else is in DEP without any word of when their ship date actually is.
DMeyerspb #98
Planet Eclipse, Pittsburgh Paintball Sports Complex, DXS, FatBoy Pods, V-Force, Ninja Paintball, SkipsPics.net

XBL GT: TheEnforcer98
Drive German or Go Home, VAG Lover
TheNforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:45 AM #15
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is Legendary
ND, EOD, and SO are always taking. Those guys get the same pay as Nukes (pro-pay for diveer qualified), and more for hazzard duty.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:32 PM #16
hiddenphantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinqlinq View Post
would you say the training and schooling for nukes is more smarts or more hardwork or 50/50.

be honest, how much of a life do you have in the first 2 years of training? because the way i perceived it was that you pretty much do a whole day of school and training, then when you get back to your racks or whatever, you go and study more then go to sleep.
It depends on how you learn. If you are one of those guys that listens to a guy speak for 50 mins then turn around and write it out 5 days later then your good. If you one of those that has to write it out 50 times to remember it then its straight hardwork and alot of pencil time.

School started around 7 or 8 and goes to around 3 or 4 (its been almost 10 years). To study you go back to the school building. All you work is classified and not allowed out of the building.

Life, I was limited by money. I was making about 700 every 2 weeks. I studied about 15-20 hours a week over school so about 2-3 hours a night to free up the weekends. The school tracks how much time you are in the school after class and the study hours are mandated by your class advisor.
I was able to play paintball almost every weekend except when I hung out with my friends at the beach, club, downtown, or fishing. Prototype is different bc of the work hours. Its routing shift work 12 hour shifts, but you do get a 4 day weekend every month. Okay thats enough about nuke school for now.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:37 PM #17
hiddenphantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNforcer View Post
Funny that this was posted. My brother just left on Wednesday to start basic, he's enlisted to be a Nuke. He was telling me what his recruiter said, and out of all the recruits in the W.PA, W.NY and WV area, only 3 of them were assigned jobs and they were all Nukes. Right now, if you plan on getting in in a timely fashion (my brother enlisted in November and just shipped) they are only taking Nukes. Everybody else is in DEP without any word of when their ship date actually is.
Not really surprised, right now nukes are at about 80% manning with new boats and ships being built every year. We are hurting for people which cause life to suck on boats which then cause more guys to get out which drives down manning ect. ect ect.

AS far as pro-pay its does go up after 5-6 years and if your on subs you get submarine pay and sea pay. I not going to say being a Nuke on all cash and a great life, its a pain in the *** and the navy pays us more so that can screw up our life more. But when you get out its not hard getting a job unless you want wal-mart greeter. My friends got turned down for being over qualified, lol.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:39 PM #18
CaseySmith2010
BonusBalled!

What kinda pay are we talking about outside of the Navy?? and Are the jobs at plants outside just as much of a pain in the *** as when your in the navy? Ie working for a nuke plant? or do they hire you in a supervisors most of the time or something?
Old 05-21-2010, 06:31 PM #19
hiddenphantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseySmith2010 View Post
What kinda pay are we talking about outside of the Navy?? and Are the jobs at plants outside just as much of a pain in the *** as when your in the navy? Ie working for a nuke plant? or do they hire you in a supervisors most of the time or something?
any where from 60k-120K depending on experience, and location. I have no clue how the work in civialian plants are. They hire were they have openings ie reactor operator, or maintenance guy. It all depends on whats happening the world when the time comes for you to get out. IN good news the first new nuclear power plant since 3 mile island has been approved to be built in GA. Construction time approx 8 years.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:48 PM #20
warSSaw
INTERGALACTIC PLANETARY

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
Packing a degree's worth of instruction into an A school, without getting the degree from it, made it not worth it for me. Regardless of the reenlistment bonuses.

When is it worth the effort?

rediculous schooling, nearly non-stop inspections (nearly every run), lots of stupid training, start-up and shut down, D&D, I can keep going. If those things turn you on, be a nuke.
you have no idea what you are talking about. A degree's worth in A school? hardly.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:54 PM #21
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is Legendary
Whatever dude. I'm a decade your senior, get paid well over double what you do, and an instructor. I think I might know what I am talking about, student.

Last edited by barrel roll : 05-21-2010 at 10:13 PM.