Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-08-2010, 01:23 AM #1
Meatball91

2 man tourny strategies

I got a 2 man tourny coming up soon and just wanted some ideas on strategies for the tourny. The field is long and pretty wide with both a strong snake and tape side. Big field big bunkers. Hard to get anyone off the break, so thinking aggressive breaks towards forward bunkers and lockdown field with the aggressive positions, also thought about strong siding. Let me know what you think, any input is greatly appreciated, thanks.
Virtue board, L7 Bolt, SP On/Off, some other goodies
Another Ion project
Its a surprise
Meatball91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2010, 02:31 AM #2
Exiled Lakai

Exiled Lakai owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I would try to open up the field as much as possible. one guy out all the way to the tape while the other is forward and is inside one lane from the opposite side's tape. the forward player should try a draw fire letting the tape player to move up and try and get a good angle on one on them or vice versa.
Exiled Lakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:19 AM #3
Castro #66
Not a Moderator*

Annual Supporting Member
Castro #66 is a Supporting Member
Castro #66 is playing at Living Legends VII
Castro #66 supports Bob Gurnsey
Castro #66 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Castro #66 is Legendary
Castro #66 is attending Decay of Nations VII
One of the great things about 2-man games is that it's easy to move after the breakout, and it's usually pretty easy to keep an eye on both opponents. Thus, getting to a good spot off the break isn't necessary, because it will be much easier to shoot your way to any position you want.

Ideally, you can make your way to a closer position that is easy to cover whatever aggressive move the opposing team makes, then the second you've put them in, move out to a wider position and go for the kill.

Castro #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:33 AM #4
Meatball91

Liking the ideas so far. I played a 3 man tourny on this field a couple weeks ago and tore up out of the snake, took alot of heat and allowed my team to flank for kills the whole tournament also got quite a few kills. But idk how strong a snake is in 2 man and if i should use it as much.
Another Ion project
Its a surprise
Old 05-08-2010, 09:37 AM #5
Meatball91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro #66 View Post
One of the great things about 2-man games is that it's easy to move after the breakout, and it's usually pretty easy to keep an eye on both opponents. Thus, getting to a good spot off the break isn't necessary, because it will be much easier to shoot your way to any position you want.

Ideally, you can make your way to a closer position that is easy to cover whatever aggressive move the opposing team makes, then the second you've put them in, move out to a wider position and go for the kill.
I love aggressive breaks to forward positions and on the opposing side ASAP, so it'll be a change having to hold back. But it'll be good practice on firefights and snap shooting.
Another Ion project
Its a surprise

Last edited by Meatball91 : 05-08-2010 at 09:38 AM. Reason: .
Old 05-08-2010, 04:45 PM #6
Darthdoug
CRU Paintball Player

Annual Supporting Member
Darthdoug plays in the PSP
Darthdoug donated to help Peyton Trent
Darthdoug owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Darthdoug supports our troops
Darthdoug plays in the APPA D3 division
A couple thoughts on 2-man.

Make sure you have both guys make it to your initial bunkers. I know you want to be aggressive, but better to be aggressive on bumps than on initial break out. Losing one guy to a lucky shot is almost game over in 2 vs. 2.

Secondly don't think for a second about 'strong siding'... you need both tapes handled with guns crossed most of the games. If you don't, you will lose a lot.

Past that, 2 vs. 2 is all about gun skills. Keep guns crossed and get them before they get you. Move when you can, get the surprise shots when you get there, make it happen.
Darthdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:45 PM #7
Castro #66
Not a Moderator*

Annual Supporting Member
Castro #66 is Legendary
I disagree. If there's a flag present on a large field (assuming the pull counts for points) one strategy could be to strong side the flag side, as long as you don't stop shooting.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:10 PM #8
Meatball91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthdoug View Post
A couple thoughts on 2-man.

Make sure you have both guys make it to your initial bunkers. I know you want to be aggressive, but better to be aggressive on bumps than on initial break out. Losing one guy to a lucky shot is almost game over in 2 vs. 2.

Secondly don't think for a second about 'strong siding'... you need both tapes handled with guns crossed most of the games. If you don't, you will lose a lot.
Well with the strong siding I was thinking get one player out quick and make it a 2 on 1 for them, but i also see what your saying with cross firing and handling the tapes. I personally think strong siding will work well against lower level experienced teams in this tourny to catch a player off guard and caught with 2 guns on them.
Another Ion project
Its a surprise
Old 05-08-2010, 10:51 PM #9
Witness20
I wanna Change my Name!

Witness20 helped look for balloons
Witness20 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Witness20 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Witness20 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
There's Two Mans? O Snap son where can I find one....
Witness20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:21 AM #10
P8ntballa1514

P8ntballa1514 plays in the PSP
P8ntballa1514 plays in the APPA D3 division
P8ntballa1514 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
P8ntballa1514 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Since I just practiced 2v2's this weekend ill let you know what I think...

In 2 man almost any player will tell you to get out wide pretty much every time. This doesn't mean only corners off the break, but try to get out to the tapes or close to it. It's easier to watch each others backs (cross it up) when you're both looking inside. Once you get out wide thats really the only place you can shoot anyways. Like Doug said, there's no reason to try and go far off the break because if one of you gets shot the odds of you winning is a lot smaller (if you are playing against decent players).

Also, work off each other. Get you or your teammate up the field by making quick bumps and make sure to not let your teammate die (which is the reason for getting wide and crossing it up). Most of the time if one of you get up to a 40 or 50 bunker both of the opponents guns will switch to that one person because they are the most "dangerous" players allowing for the person farther back to be able to move a little easier.

Communication is key. In a 2 man if you lose track of one of the other players, there is a lot of room and options that person has to move around and get a shot on you. Especially because if you lose track of one player, both of your guns tend to go onto the single player that you know about.

I would not recommend going in the snake really fast either, unless you shoot one of the other players first. If you get in the snake and your teammate dies, its hard to win a 2 on 1 from there. I mean you can go in the snake during the game, but I would only do it if you can guarantee you get a kill from there quick.

And Castro, a majority of players will disagree to "strong side" the field in a 2v2. Even if you "don't stop shooting" with both players on one side of the field, you are somewhat limited to that side of the field if the opposing team makes it out wide to both tapes without losing a body. If the other team has an entire half of the field to themselves, they have a ton of options to move and make it far up the "weak side" of the field and shoot you in the back. Another reason not to "strong side" the field is the other team will notice both of you on the flag side. If they aren't already wide and working on getting down your "weak side", they will wait for you to go for the flag and shoot you in the open (99% of the time the flag is a few feet from any bunker).

It makes sense what Castro said about "strong siding" the field to get flag pulls, but at the same time it should only be done in certain situations. The only reason to "strong side" the flag side is if you only need a flag pulls amount of points to advance, place, or whatever. If there's a flag in the center, be aware of it and try to keep an eye on it. If either you or your teammate can see the flag (and its worth points) then you should be able to shoot anyone who goes for it. This in turn, lets you focus on shooting the other players instead of just getting the flag (which adds up to more points then just that flag pull).

The other thing to know is don't be afraid to shoot/delay off the break. A lot of the time kids are worried about getting outside without getting shot that they don't shoot their guns back at you or they assume you are going wide so they shoot their lanes wide too. Its a 2v2 which means if you are going with the strategy to get out to the tape, it means you have an entire quarter of the field to only you. You can do more riskier things without getting shot. Delay and shoot a lane. And if they make their bunker and stop you from going wide, figure out another option.

Lastly, carry extra pods. Depending on who you play or the field layout, you can end up playing people who just sit in their bunkers, you can get stuck in your bunkers, or it could come down to a 1v2 or 1v1. These are all things that can make games last long and end up with players running out of paint and possibly be the reason for a loss. Not good.

That's all i can think of. Im super bored at my house since my TV doesnt work and my xbox live is down, so i figured i could kill time typing this haha.
www.facebook.com/810TL
P8ntballa1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:49 PM #11
Meatball91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witness20 View Post
There's Two Mans? O Snap son where can I find one....
Heck ya, just come over to Southeast Missouri and play with us, it only a short drive from Ohio. The place hosts 2man Mech only tournaments and regular 2 man ones. I haven't done a mech only one but I am planning on doing the next, they look like a lot of fun.
Another Ion project
Its a surprise
Old 05-09-2010, 01:07 PM #12
Meatball91

Thank you P8ntballa for your info, i feel for your technology breakdown that crap just happens. Im not worried about bumping to my bunkers and what not, cause the field is really too big for a 2man and the bunkers are very large. This large field cause lanes to be very long and shooting off the break and hitting players is almost impossible. But your suggestions should help, thanks again and please feel free to add more. If you have any ideas for this large field just let me know. Big field big bunkers plenty of room for 4 players.
Another Ion project
Its a surprise
Old 05-09-2010, 01:15 PM #13
Meatball91

Quote:
Originally Posted by P8ntballa1514 View Post
Since I just practiced 2v2's this weekend ill let you know what I think...

Lastly, carry extra pods. Depending on who you play or the field layout, you can end up playing people who just sit in their bunkers, you can get stuck in your bunkers, or it could come down to a 1v2 or 1v1. These are all things that can make games last long and end up with players running out of paint and possibly be the reason for a loss. Not good.
How much paint would you recommend? I was thinking about 3pods, a 3+2 pack carring 3 pods.
Another Ion project
Its a surprise
Old 05-09-2010, 05:09 PM #14
Castro #66
Not a Moderator*

Annual Supporting Member
Castro #66 is Legendary
I was suggesting basically guarding the flag, since it would be the main objective. On a large field, running it straight in between two players can be easier than most would think.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:48 PM #15
P8ntballa1514

P8ntballa1514 plays in the PSP
P8ntballa1514 plays in the APPA D3 division
P8ntballa1514 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
P8ntballa1514 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatball91 View Post
How much paint would you recommend? I was thinking about 3pods, a 3+2 pack carring 3 pods.
If you think 3 is enough...take 4.
www.facebook.com/810TL
P8ntballa1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:34 PM #16
Meatball91

Quote:
I was suggesting basically guarding the flag, since it would be the main objective. On a large field, running it straight in between two players can be easier than most would think.
Ic, well i'll keep that in mind and watch the flag closely and try to keep any quick run in's from happening. Like you said I didn't even think about run in's.
Another Ion project
Its a surprise
Old 05-09-2010, 10:36 PM #17
Meatball91

Quote:
Originally Posted by P8ntballa1514 View Post
If you think 3 is enough...take 4.
Well I played a whole 3man tournament two weeks ago and never had to pull that third pod, and i think i pulled the 2nd one only once so hopefully 3 will do. But then again we played highly aggressive and had quick one sided games in our favor. I'll just try to get a feel for the games, and make a call that day.
Another Ion project
Its a surprise
Old 05-10-2010, 10:29 AM #18
Castro #66
Not a Moderator*

Annual Supporting Member
Castro #66 is Legendary
If you aren't any good at 1v1's during practice, it's time to wake up and get "learned"!

Old 05-10-2010, 12:32 PM #19
Meatball91

Quote:
If you aren't any good at 1v1's during practice, it's time to wake up and get "learned"!
O im sure i'll learn some stuff about gunfights from this, that's the main reason i want to do it is to get better at gunfighting and snapshooting. Plus there should be a bunch of teams, it'll be a fairly cheap tournament so i'll get lots of "forced practice" at it.
Another Ion project
Its a surprise
Old 05-10-2010, 06:35 PM #20
Public-Enemy-1
You done ****ed up now

has been a member for 10 years
Public-Enemy-1 helped look for balloons
Public-Enemy-1 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Loving the Advice were getting. Im Meatball's teammate, and Im loving all the different input. A lot of things I was thinking about trying have been said here which lets me know Im on the right track with some game plans (its also my first 2man event, although Ive played this field many times).

The other thing Im thinking about is that I think we are going to see a lot of variety in game plans by our opponents, so I think mixing our game plan up will help alot. I just hope to see a good day of paintball!
Old 05-10-2010, 06:54 PM #21
Technic76

Technic76 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
In a 2vs2 I would stay out of the snake all together

Team Wemow
Technic76 is offline   Reply With Quote