Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-04-2010, 02:18 AM #22
Graybass_20x6
Captain

If you have the option, I'd suggest taking your son to a pro shop and have him try out a few different Tippmanns. We can make all the suggestions in the world, but it should really be up to him.
Spyder Xtra Psycho Special
Spyder TL Relic
PMI Tagmaster
Graybass_20x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-04-2010, 03:00 AM #23
LordOdin99

LordOdin99 posts videos on PbNation
At 10 years old, a Tippmann is a great starting point. He doesn't want to concern himself with maintenance or tweaking at that age. He just wants to grab his marker and play. That means simplicity and durability. You can't go wrong with a Tippmann that way. As long as he has air to shoot, his marker will work. Its easy to use right out of the box, needs very little to keep it going, and is expandable with countless aftermarket mods out there to increase his fun factor and performance.

With him being new to the sport, I'm sure learning safety is one of the biggest factors for both of you. One thing that I love about mechanicals is that they come with a safety. Most electros don't have one and I've seen dozens of times where experienced players accidentally fire off the marker in the staging areas. Even someone that is blind and deaf can tell that their marker is safe by picking it up and feeling it.

That being said, its a great starter marker to introduce him to the sport and to build a solid foundation upon.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:13 PM #24
spinny2559
just missed 2k4

spinny2559 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by {TWC} GUNHEAD View Post
we are woodsballers and it looks like I'll end up getting a Phenom for my son might as well go right to the top right off the bat
Very good choice, also look at the X-7 with E-grip too. They are both comparable guns, the X-7 E-grip is slightly more simple though, possibly better for a 10-year-old.
And yes, Tippmanns are still the workhorses of paintball guns, but do keep in mind that your 68 was a mechanic gun and that will be able to take more abuse than an electronic Tippmann.

98 Custom Low Pressure Kit parts available, contact me!

TONS of solenoids and solenoid parts F/S/T!!

spinny2559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:09 PM #25
tonycon
Knuckleheads Paintball

Annual Supporting Member
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
tonycon supports our troops
tonycon is Legendary
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
any tippmann is a good choice for a first gun. i wouldn't be too concerned with the e-grip and abuse...the e-grip on my x7 has taken a BEATING (rain, snow,fog,heat) and it is still rollin. either way have fun with it.

Proudly Sponsored By:
PBExplosion VirtueSpire Valken Paintball

KnuckleHeads Paintball Team
Game footage
tonycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:00 PM #26
OnFive

OnFive is playing at Living Legends III
OnFive owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
I had a 98 custom for almost 10 years, then gave it to a buddy's cousin and now he plays with it. I used to wash it by hosing it down and to this day it works. I prefer my Etek but Tippmann is still the workhorse of paintball...

Get him a 98, it's cheap and it doesn't fail.
OnFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:39 AM #27
Asethet
Kiwi

I'm going to break with the party line a little here and say that although Tippmann is (one of) the most durable, reliable brands on the market today, I think the industry as a whole has let its QC standards drop, and even though Tippmanns warranty (and out of warranty) service IS SECOND TO NONE, I find a lot of people in our club needing replacement parts more often that I remember in earlier times.

Most likely I'd say its partially attributable to the increase in complexity of markers (cyclone, e-grips, field strip etc) but you'll notice Tippmanns '08 model A5 had more plastic bits that earlier versions, several of which I've had to replace (tombstone latch for example).

Still, compared to other brands at this time, Tippmann is a durable, reliable, easy to use brand, they just don't seem as great as they used to be when the M98/C98 was the flagship Tippmann.
Asethet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:51 PM #28
Kite09
Youngstown Gambit

Kite09 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Kite09 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I say go with the 98. They don't break, heck mines been run over with a car and still works. And I doubt he will be taking it apart or any of that. So he won't lose any parts. And if all he's playing is woods and scenario he won't be shooting more than semi so no need for the cyclone or an electric.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin (1937-2008)

Make Paintball Part of the X Games
http://www.petitiononline.com/pb123/
Put this in your sig if you support.
Kite09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:12 PM #29
TheTeZ

i feel the 98 is the best choice, its smaller than the other options for a decent gun, it will last for years to come, even if it is taken apart, their aren't too many parts in a stock tippmann. No need for the e-trigger or the bigger "pretty" body" especially being 10 years old.
TheTeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:31 PM #30
Capt'n Crunch
Bonus Balled Toucan Sam

Well, sounds like the OP is set on a phenom....btw if you want to adopt me, I'd like a phenom as well

Personally I'm not sure I'd get a 10 year old a 400 dollar marker but to each their own.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:05 PM #31
XRidgelinerX
Old Guy and IYAOYAS

Phenomq

I just reassigned my A-5 to "backup" status and bought a Phenom. It is a great marker. Your boy should be very happy Gunhead. Be sure and read up on lubricating and smoothing the bolt of the Phenom before use.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:26 PM #32
MarineDawg

Cant say anything bad about the Tippmanns

All Paintball Supplies::Paintball Guns | MARKERS
MarineDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:41 PM #33
Deckrat

Well, I just bought another old 68 Carbine. It kicks like a mule, the trigger pull is enormous, and compared to everything else out there, it looks like a holdover from the Civil War. But MAN!...I love those old Tippmanns!
Old 05-06-2010, 08:46 PM #34
TheTeZ

Ha ha, i just bought an old pro carbine, same with the trigger, its a heavy pull. i think im gonna put some of my tippmanns in tippman of the month poles for the next few months. the carbine, maybe after i deck modify it a little ill put it up next month.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:03 PM #35
The TinMan

I love my old tippy's. I have 19 pre Model 98 Tippmann's.

Factory F/A and SMG-68 are my favorites. Procarbs are just great also.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:10 PM #36
BiG MaN KemP
Custom User Title

BiG MaN KemP has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Tippy's are beastly

Basically the Tippmann marker brand is like the Russian AK-47, virtually indestructible, utterly reliable and if there's something wrong with it, it's most likely an easy fix. Also a good starter gun to learn how mech's work/being able to disassemble and clean/take of your marker
Old 05-06-2010, 10:29 PM #37
TheTeZ

hmm... speaking of ak-47 maybe ill post my ak-47 98 custom marker in the tippy of the month poll this week, i was gonna post my first one, but with a comment like that how could i not...

ill take better quality pics though.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:36 PM #38
The TinMan

IMO, the 98 made for a much cleaner AK.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:43 PM #39
TheTeZ

/\ that is a 98 ... custom,

if you mean model 98, the only 2 differences i am aware of is something with the bolt (internal) and the other is the ability to add after market triggers on a custom

Last edited by TheTeZ : 05-06-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:59 PM #40
The TinMan

I meant as opposed to the A-5 or X7 AK. I'm good as far as Tippmann specs go Tez

Old 05-06-2010, 11:07 PM #41
TheTeZ

sorry, i thought you were saying that in regards to my photo, i thought maybe you confused it with an a-5, didnt mean to insult you, i know the pictures not great quality
Old 05-07-2010, 12:10 AM #42
MFgrimm

As long as it doesn't have the cyclone feed system then yes, they are still one of the best markers if you plan on keeping it for a very long time.