PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 10-24-2003, 07:11 PM #1
JHUBlueJays

has been a member for 10 years
Lubricating Delrin

I've read threads that say Delrin doesn't need lubrication. I've read threads that say Delrin needs light lubrication. I've read threads that say Delrin is self-lubricating (whatever that means).

So here's the question:

How often should delrin be lubricated and with what type of lube?

I have a delrin bolt and its really scratching up my breach. The Delrin bolt appears scratched as well. What to do?
Thanks.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-24-2003, 07:21 PM #2
AutoMaggot

AutoMaggot is a Moderator
Bolt-wear is normal. All Delrin bolts are going to scratch.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:21 PM #3
FallNAngel
Vicious Circles

Annual Supporting Member
FallNAngel is a Supporting Member
FallNAngel is playing at Living Legends VI
FallNAngel is playing at Living Legends VII
FallNAngel supports DLX Technology
Delrin does not need to be lubricated. I'd also find it a bit hard to believe that a plastic bolt is scratching the aluminum breech.
If you want to set off and go develop some grand new thing, you don't need millions of dollars of capitalization. You need enough pizza and Diet Coke to stick in your refrigerator, a cheap PC to work on, and the dedication to go through with it. We slept on floors. We waded across rivers. -John Carmack

FS: G6R $525 shipped and paypal'd
Old 10-24-2003, 07:26 PM #4
pbXassassinX1524

Quote:
Originally posted by FallNAngel
Delrin does not need to be lubricated. I'd also find it a bit hard to believe that a plastic bolt is scratching the aluminum breech.
Speeds do it, lol. But Speeds in general are a joke.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:27 PM #5
ECocker3139 (Banned)
*Poderator*

For the most part you don't need to lubricate delrin(It lubes itself). In the event that the delrin becomes dry, NEVER use oil to lubricate your bolt. I suggest a dab of vaseline(as little as possible)should be rubbed over the surface of your delrin bolt. If that doesn't help than I suggest you take it in to have it serviced . THe vaseline technique has worked for me in the past. I onced tried using oil and my bolt swelled up and absolutely would not fit in the gun.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:32 PM #6
JHUBlueJays

"I onced tried using oil and my bolt swelled up and absolutely would not fit in the gun."

That's really odd. A few of my friends lube their delrin bolts and they're still shooting smooth.

"I'd also find it a bit hard to believe that a plastic bolt is scratching the aluminum breech."

Perhaps it's not scratching the aluminum, but it's certainly wearing on the annodizing.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:01 PM #7
pbXassassinX1524

AKA extreme lube is compleely synthetic and wont swell delrin... if you need to use any oil on it.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:23 PM #8
FallNAngel
Vicious Circles

Annual Supporting Member
FallNAngel is a Supporting Member
FallNAngel is playing at Living Legends VI
FallNAngel is playing at Living Legends VII
FallNAngel supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally posted by JHUBlueJays
Perhaps it's not scratching the aluminum, but it's certainly wearing on the annodizing.
Yes, but that's a bit different

Either way... OIL DOESN'T SWEEL DELRIN!
If you want to set off and go develop some grand new thing, you don't need millions of dollars of capitalization. You need enough pizza and Diet Coke to stick in your refrigerator, a cheap PC to work on, and the dedication to go through with it. We slept on floors. We waded across rivers. -John Carmack

FS: G6R $525 shipped and paypal'd
Old 10-24-2003, 08:27 PM #9
parisinflames7
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by FallNAngel
OIL DOESN'T SWEEL DELRIN!
finally someone pointed this out, yes kids oil doesnt make delrin swell, since water and heat make delrin swell and no paintball oil is water based then how can it make the delrin swell? on my double oring delrin bolt i put some dow 33 on the orings and that seemed to work fine for the entire tourney that i played in.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:37 PM #10
JHUBlueJays

While we're talking lubricants, how frequently should I be lubing my ram and what lube should I be using? Anything else I should be worried about in maintaining my E-blade? I know about the sear.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:39 PM #11
parisinflames7
Banned

ummm u can use regular gun oil for the ram, i usually lube it every other time i play, but then again im kinda anal about all my stuff working. aside from that u should clean your solenoid every now and then.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:42 PM #12
JHUBlueJays

I noticed last time I was out, my marker started chirping. Sounded like it was coming from the solenoid in the grip. Anyone else have this problem? What's the prognosis?
Old 10-24-2003, 08:46 PM #13
Hammer1
Planet MW Service Center

Well, that isn't necessarily true...not all delrin bolts are created equal!
I posed this question to a master machinist a while back and he told me that it all depends on the grade of Delrin used and the milling technique incorporated in the manufacture of the bolt...
Generally, oil should not swell Delrin, BUT, according to the engineers, there are several "grades" of Delrin that exhibit different "porosity", and in theory anyway will show different levels of swelling from any moisture i.e. oil or humidity

Add to this some manufacturing techniques that somewhat short cut the process and drive out natural moistures in the Delrin and the bolt becomes somewhat prone to swelling when exposed to moisture...

So I guess what I'm saying is , buy a good bolt, made by a good company that uses a high grade of material and doesn't short cut the process!

Hammer

HAMMERTIMEPAINTBALL.COM