PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-05-2010, 07:14 PM #22
dm7killer153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_Joe View Post
Nah, its all about the Portugese wine. 1.75 liter, $12.

tastes like ***.
gets me drunk.
dm7killer153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2010, 09:17 PM #23
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah

I don't remember the last time I've seen an NFL game on tv and seen a bunch of empty seats. However, if you watch baseball, you can see entire sections with only a few people in them. Obviously that's not the case for every game, but NFL games are sold out more often, and they have much bigger stadiums.
Hate the Cowboys? Show it here.
black_angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:02 PM #24
Hawke

Some MLB teams only get like 9k people to show up.

College football practices get that many.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:57 PM #25
Fat_Joe
$OG$

Fat_Joe has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_angus View Post
I don't remember the last time I've seen an NFL game on tv and seen a bunch of empty seats. However, if you watch baseball, you can see entire sections with only a few people in them. Obviously that's not the case for every game, but NFL games are sold out more often, and they have much bigger stadiums.

Watch the jags, bills, rams, lions, texans, phins, browns, bengals, 9ers, cards, raiders(after week 2), chiefs, panthers, bucs, atlanta....that's almost hlf the league that won't sellout every game. Some are worse then others but yea...you'll see empty seats in those stadiums from week to week oncr they realize they're perrenial losers.....
Team Aircraft Carrier - Captain
Fat_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:10 AM #26
<<safety!>>
Pick Six Ponder

<<safety!>> owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Quote:
Watch the jags, bills, rams, lions, texans, phins, browns, bengals, 9ers, cards, raiders(after week 2), chiefs, panthers, bucs, atlanta....that's almost hlf the league that won't sellout every game. Some are worse then others but yea...you'll see empty seats in those stadiums from week to week oncr they realize they're perrenial losers.....
**** you man the dolphins are awesome.
we smokin **** from Amsterdam
<<safety!>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:19 AM #27
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah

Quote:
There's a big difference between not selling out every game, and having nationally televised games in which you can see big chunks where there's nobody within 10+ seats.

Obviously not every ticket is sold at every game, but I'd say baseball has a bigger percentage of games not being sold out. This is pure speculation, of course, if somebody could find the actual stats, that'd be great.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:38 AM #28
mr.cocalino
Always getting trolled...

Not sure why this is still being argued. Here are the MLB averages:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

compared to NFL averages:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance

Even the WORST attended teams in the NFL will make the top 3 in the MLB, with more than 25/30 teams beating out the best attendance numbers in baseball. Sure, no sport has sell outs all the time, but the NFL wins by a huge landslide. The average NFL attendance is nearly 3 times the MLB average.

"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: When Mr. C does push-ups, he doesnt go up, the Earth goes down..."

"Originally posted by RamapoLax: And girls panties get soaked."
mr.cocalino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:00 AM #29
Drex17
Valar Morghulis

has been a member for 10 years
Drex17 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
So why exactly does number per game take priority over number total? Of course more people are going to go to a game when there is only one a week. Football also doesn't regularly have games at 1pm on a Tuesday. Now if you want to compare on a WEEKLY number I'd agree to that since baseball season is longer. But just take a gander at which sport is going to pull more a week.

Just for simplicity lets use the number one for each sport in a comparison.

Cowboys: 81,701 per game, so 81,701 a week.
Yankees: 36,991 per game and 6.5 games per week (6 or seven games per week) for ~240,000 a week.

(even the WORST team in MLB pulls more than the cowboys in a week)

More people attend baseball games than football games. period. The top 5 baseball teams pull in as many people as the entire NFL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawke View Post
Some MLB teams only get like 9k people to show up.
Nope.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."

Last edited by Drex17 : 05-06-2010 at 01:03 AM.
Drex17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:41 AM #30
mr.cocalino

The MLB season runs from April to September right? A 6 month season before the post-season, right? So that's 6 months, let's say 30 days a month, so 180 days or 25.7 weeks. 25.7 weeks/82 games. That's 3.2 games a week at home. So no, the worst baseball team does not come close to drawing what the best NFL team draws.

Its all a matter of you trying to prove that hypothetically, the NFL would draw less fans per game than the MLB. All signs point to no as the NFL's popularity suggests otherwise in terms of TV ratings, attendance, merchandise sales, viewership of events like the draft, and so on. Perhaps if 162 games were available to be seen per year it would be less popular, but it would never happen and so your point is moot.

"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: When Mr. C does push-ups, he doesnt go up, the Earth goes down..."

Old 05-06-2010, 03:05 AM #31
Drex17
Valar Morghulis

I wasn't basing it off the home game numbers, i was using the combined for both sports. You can halve the MLB number if you are willing to halve the NFL number as well.

I'm not hypothetically trying to prove anything, I'm factually stating numbers and you just don't like it that in any even remotely fair comparison (by season or by week) MLB draws more people to games. If you are unable to understand why a per-game comparison is meaningless I guess I'll just leave you be in your fantasy-world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.cocalino View Post
So no, the worst baseball team does not come close to drawing what the best NFL team draws.
Using home game attendance numbers and the fact that half of games are home.

#1 Dallas cowboys home attendance/wk: 44,878 (.5 games/wk)

#30 Oakland Athletics home attendance/wk: 45,753 (3.2 games/wk)
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."

Last edited by Drex17 : 05-06-2010 at 03:19 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:16 AM #32
mr.cocalino

Right, but to counter the effect of less games, the NFL charges nearly 3x the average MLB ticket price.

Avg NFL seat: $72.20
Avg MLB seat: $26.74

I'm not sure the point you are trying to prove here, but the NFL is the league of choice in America. The superbowl managed to draw in more than five times the viewing audience that the deciding game of the world series drew. Even when the WS goes to a game 7, the superbowl ratings beat the living **** out of the WS. And it doesn't even matter who plays in the superbowl, this year had two teams that aren't the most popular or the biggest draws, yet they drew the biggest audience ever. The game continues to expand at an incredible rate while the MLB remains stagnant.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:29 AM #33
Drex17
Valar Morghulis

I'm "proving" that your "proof" is really just a bunch of irrelevant assumptions or numbers that have little empirical value.

I've never understood it either, why some football fans feel the need to "prove" their sports worth. Just enjoy the game and stop being so bitter.

and in regards to superbowl VS world series, I'll just link this since im going to bed

http://www.examiner.com/x-2701-Color...s-World-Series

Last edited by Drex17 : 05-06-2010 at 03:35 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:24 PM #34
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drex17 View Post
So why exactly does number per game take priority over number total? Of course more people are going to go to a game when there is only one a week. Football also doesn't regularly have games at 1pm on a Tuesday. Now if you want to compare on a WEEKLY number I'd agree to that since baseball season is longer. But just take a gander at which sport is going to pull more a week.

Just for simplicity lets use the number one for each sport in a comparison.

Cowboys: 81,701 per game, so 81,701 a week.
Yankees: 36,991 per game and 6.5 games per week (6 or seven games per week) for ~240,000 a week.

(even the WORST team in MLB pulls more than the cowboys in a week)

More people attend baseball games than football games. period. The top 5 baseball teams pull in as many people as the entire NFL.

Nope.
I won't respond directly to this post, because others have already done so and I agree with their points. But let's figure money into this.

The average cost of a Cowboys ticket is $84.12, average premium ticket is $226.13 (source: http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/123936)

Average Yankees ticket is $72.97 for a non-premium ticket. I could not find premium ticket prices.

Cowboys stadium holds 80,000. Yankees stadium holds 50,000.
Per game, that comes to about:

Cowboys: 6.7 million
Yankees: 3.65 million

Per season, not counting home playoff games for either team:
Cowboys: 53.6 million
Yankees: 295.65 million

These figures, of course, do not count any merchandise or food sold at the games, parking, etc.

So while I concede that between the two teams that are probably making the most money off of ticket prices per year definitely gives an advantage to the MLB, I would like to see how the figures stack up throughout both entire leagues, because I know that ticket prices can vastly vary, moreso in MLB than in the NFL.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:38 PM #35
mr.cocalino

Quote:
I'm "proving" that your "proof" is really just a bunch of irrelevant assumptions or numbers that have little empirical value.

I've never understood it either, why some football fans feel the need to "prove" their sports worth. Just enjoy the game and stop being so bitter.

and in regards to superbowl VS world series, I'll just link this since im going to bed

I consider it proof among a group of contributing factors that have shown the NFL to be the most popular league.

I'm not trying to "prove" this because I feel the need to prove the sports worth, I am just trying to show that there is evidence supporting a new trend in sports viewership.

Your article is nice, but its one man's opinion. If they were based on say, actual facts, it would be sweet.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:13 AM #36
$og$

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_angus View Post
There's a big difference between not selling out every game, and having nationally televised games in which you can see big chunks where there's nobody within 10+ seats.

Obviously not every ticket is sold at every game, but I'd say baseball has a bigger percentage of games not being sold out. This is pure speculation, of course, if somebody could find the actual stats, that'd be great.

Watch the Colts/Phins from week 3 or whatever, then watch the Phins/Jets MNF affair.....theres plenty of empty seats. NFL teams have a tougher draw during down times fo r the teams due to the lack of home games. I can get Phins tickets for less then $30 a piece not including the pre season, but you cant buy Patriots tickets right now for less then $89. The gap is tremendous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.cocalino View Post
Right, but to counter the effect of less games, the NFL charges nearly 3x the average MLB ticket price.

Avg NFL seat: $72.20
Avg MLB seat: $26.74

I'm not sure the point you are trying to prove here, but the NFL is the league of choice in America. The superbowl managed to draw in more than five times the viewing audience that the deciding game of the world series drew. Even when the WS goes to a game 7, the superbowl ratings beat the living **** out of the WS. And it doesn't even matter who plays in the superbowl, this year had two teams that aren't the most popular or the biggest draws, yet they drew the biggest audience ever. The game continues to expand at an incredible rate while the MLB remains stagnant.

The NFL dominates every other sport in terms of money generated (net of 8 billion last year), TV coverage (DirectTV signed a 4 year 1 billion dollar deal this year with the NFL), and merchandise.

Quote:

Sweet. A completely biased and one sided article. Dont bring us anything we can actually use or anything.......

Soccer moms work out, athletes train.
$og$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:24 AM #37
xFortune (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by $og$ View Post
Watch the Colts/Phins from week 3 or whatever, then watch the Phins/Jets MNF affair.....theres plenty of empty seats. NFL teams have a tougher draw during down times fo r the teams due to the lack of home games. I can get Phins tickets for less then $30 a piece not including the pre season, but you cant buy Patriots tickets right now for less then $89. The gap is tremendous.

The NFL dominates every other sport in terms of money generated (net of 8 billion last year), TV coverage (DirectTV signed a 4 year 1 billion dollar deal this year with the NFL), and merchandise.

Sweet. A completely biased and one sided article. Dont bring us anything we can actually use or anything.......
I'd be willing to bet Formula 1 is near the NFL in revenue. I know for a fact Formula 1 generates more revenue per event, overall..it's close.
xFortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:13 PM #38
infernaltrowa
Got swag?

infernaltrowa plays in the USPL
infernaltrowa plays in the PSP
infernaltrowa owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
infernaltrowa supports Team VICIOUS
box wine ftw. hey, i dont really care what the 'national past time' is, all i know is that i enjoy watching football, and that baseball got old once i turned 10. someone said that the nfl fan base and revenue grows yearly, whereas mlb numbers remain stagnant from year to year. that should be enough to show which sport is growing and which sport has been around for too long and the country is tired of watching grown men swinging at balls with bats.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:16 PM #39
Drex17
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by $og$ View Post
Considering almost all of the thread is opinion and assumptions I figured it would fit right in. You also can't deny that some of it is true.

edit: infernaltrowa, MLB revenue over the past decade or so has been growing at a considerably higher rate than the NFL.

Last edited by Drex17 : 05-07-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:07 PM #40
Got_Hemi44

Quote:
Bengals have sold out every single game for the last 6 years. I know because i have season tickets and they always play on the video board "This is the such and such consecutive sell out"
Got_Hemi44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:35 PM #41
xFortune (Banned)

They're the best team in the league cause the billboard said so
xFortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:36 AM #42
$og$

Quote:
Originally Posted by xFortune View Post
I'd be willing to bet Formula 1 is near the NFL in revenue. I know for a fact Formula 1 generates more revenue per event, overall..it's close.

No. Its not.

ESPECIALLY in America....because ya know...we're the only place that really counts for anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got_Hemi44 View Post
Bengals have sold out every single game for the last 6 years. I know because i have season tickets and they always play on the video board "This is the such and such consecutive sell out"

They've had plenty o empty seats in that place as far as I can remember. They may sell out, but they aint all there ya dig?

Soccer moms work out, athletes train.
$og$ is offline   Reply With Quote