Mega Flagellator

Annual Supporting Member
MVPaintballer is a Mega Moderator
MVPaintballer is a Supporting Member
MVPaintballer donated to help Peyton Trent
MVPaintballer supports Bob Gurnsey
MVPaintballer posts videos on PbNation
MVPaintballer supports our troops
*Official* College Help Thread (Prospective students look here)

Still in High School and looking at colleges and universities? Want to get the inside scoop from current and former students? We'll you've come to the right place.

Post here and ask about specific and general colleges. Feel free to ask anything related to colleges, including admissions criteria such as SAT, GPA, etc.

I'm going to start making a list of members and which school they attend(or attended).

Here is the list:
  • MVPaintballer - Pennsylvania State University '09 (PennState) - Science - SAT Prep Tutor
  • cww516 - University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign '11 - Engineering (Mechanical)
  • Gatyr - University of Texas at Austin - Fall '11 - College of Liberal Arts/School of Natural Sciences

If you want your name on here, please post in the thread. Something like "Add me to the list"; post your university name, estimated graduation date, and your college/department (ie; Science, Arts, Engineering, Business - nothing too specific). Don't give me abbreviations (Pennsylvania State Univ., not PSU)

Last edited by MVPaintballer : 07-07-2010 at 03:40 PM.
MVPaintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:30 PM #2
cww516
a man

cww516 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
inb4 "what's a propective student?"

also, may as well add me. cww516 - University of Illinois as Urbana Champaign, '11 or so, Mechanical Engineering
Old 04-30-2010, 02:36 PM #3
MVPaintballer
Mega Flagellator

Annual Supporting Member
What?

Old 05-05-2010, 07:09 AM #4
AJG991
Mmmm... tacos.

Go ahead and throw my name up there.

AJG991 - University of Kentucky - Political Science/Philosophy pre-law
AJG991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:12 AM #5
Codymm1014
Its MY CUP

So heres my mini resume. Kinda want to know where I stand.

My first ACT score I just got is a 30 composite score
my unweighted High School GPA is gonna be a 3.0-3.3
extracurriculars- varsity athletics

Is this going to get me into public state universities. Main two I am wanting to go to is University of KY and Arizona State. I know the GPA is lacking,but Im hoping that it wont kill my college selections.

Also, would you all recommend taking the ACT again to see if I can improve on a 30?
Old 05-20-2010, 08:43 AM #6
HelpingHand

HelpingHand donated to help Peyton Trent
HelpingHand helped look for balloons
HelpingHand supports Team VICIOUS
HelpingHand is reppin' sidebar 4 life
I'll hop on as well:

The colleges I want to go for are:

U of Michigan
Wake Forest
Vanderbilt
U of Southern California
Clemson
U of Chicago
U of Virginia
UNC Chapel Hill
Duke

I have a legacy at University of Michigan, as my father went there.I'll give my stats.

White Male
Upper middle class
Father is immigrant
Both parents are retired USAF officers
SAT: 1450
AP: European History (details as to "why not more?" below)
GPA:3.7 (Top 10%)

Extracurricular

Miata Car club
Boy Scouts
RX7 car club
German club
Debate team
Academic team

Distinctions

I'm currently on a joint-government sponsored scholarship that gave me the chance to study in Germany for a year in my 11th grade.

This is sponsored through the US Government, and the German Parliament, full ride scholarship which I had to apply be interviewed for.

I will not be able to do NHS, as you have to sign up in the 10th grade, and I own't be able to have calculus under my belt as my grades here in Germany don't transfer over. My highest math will be pre calculus.

Could someone chance me for the above colleges?

Last edited by HelpingHand : 05-20-2010 at 08:46 AM.
HelpingHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:41 PM #7
AJG991
Mmmm... tacos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codymm1014 View Post
So heres my mini resume. Kinda want to know where I stand.

My first ACT score I just got is a 30 composite score
my unweighted High School GPA is gonna be a 3.0-3.3
extracurriculars- varsity athletics

Is this going to get me into public state universities. Main two I am wanting to go to is University of KY and Arizona State. I know the GPA is lacking,but Im hoping that it wont kill my college selections.

Also, would you all recommend taking the ACT again to see if I can improve on a 30?
a 3.0-3.3 and a 30 on your ACT will definitely get you into UK. If you have any questions about the school, feel free to shoot me a PM. It's a great place to go to college
AJG991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:28 PM #8
Codymm1014
Its MY CUP

Thanks a bunch man. I will definitely pm you if I have any questions about UK. Id go there 100% but out of state tuition would suck.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:20 AM #9
Topazbullet
Don't hate. Dominate.

Cornell '13 - undecided.

I also do essay editing work an internet startup in the field called gurufi.com.

We also have a blog where we post (what we hope is useful) admissions advice (though some of the more recent posts have been geared more towards grad school admissions). One of the essays that got me into school is actually posted up (here: http://blog.gurufi.com/?p=24).

As such, i'm more than happy to offer general application crafting advice to people who need it.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:25 PM #10
shplunk

I am going to be a senior in high school this coming year, and I was wondering what my chances are to get into a few schools.

I am mostly concerned about Duke, Carnegie Mellon, and Georgia Tech.

SAT: 1460/2250 <---- that is my score out of 1600 followed by my score out of 2400.
ACT: 34
GPA: 3.5-3.7 (I'm not exactly sure)
Extracurricular: Boy Scouts (Not Eagle yet but close), National Honor Society, Lettered in Cross Country 2 years, and I participated in a few science competitions.

Also, I am Hispanic. I don't know how much of a difference that will make but it's worth mentioning.

Any thoughts on my chances at those schools?

Last edited by shplunk : 07-02-2010 at 10:53 AM.
shplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:25 PM #11
Snake13
Sky Soldier

Snake13 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I'm 6 years out of school and looking to go Army ROTC after I get back from this deployment, hoping for recommendations on veteran-friendly schools

SAT:1400 (never took the new one)
GPA: 2.66

I don't know if military awards help with college admissions (prob depends on the school) but I also have a CIB, Purple Heart, and am told that paperwork is being done on an ARCOM with valor device.
Snake13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:53 AM #12
Gatyr

Gatyr plays in the PSP
Gatyr supports Cereal Killerz 2
Gatyr is an NCPA player
Gatyr plays in the APPA D4 division
I'll offer anything I know or can help with in regards to Texas schools.

Gatyr - University of Texas at Austin - Fall '11 - College of Liberal Arts/School of Natural Sciences

(I applied to the school of natural sciences and was accepted/did all of the orientation stuff with the NS school, but transferred to LA right when I got there.)
Old 07-07-2010, 03:45 PM #13
MVPaintballer
Mega Flagellator

Annual Supporting Member
Snake, you have really good SAT scores (since you never took the new one, I assume those are just 2 sections?), but they may be expired for some schools. Usually expiration is 3-5 years. Your GPA sucks, to be honest, but you have a lot of other things to make up for it. Since your school should be free (GI Bill?) schools should like you because you'll definitely be able to pay tuition.

I'm not sure of any specific schools, but you have a lot of options. Maybe not UPenn or Havard, but don't let reputation scare you since it seems like your only weak thing is a GPA, which doesn't matter much now that you're out.

Also, you guys have ridiculous SAT scores. Averaging 700+ on both sections is hard as **** to do. I can easily get an 800 on the SAT math... but I'd be lucky to break 500 on the verbal.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:59 PM #14
corporationpaintball
too legit to quit

Annual Supporting Member
corporationpaintball is a Moderator
corporationpaintball is BST Legit
corporationpaintball donated to help Peyton Trent
corporationpaintball supports our troops
corporationpaintball is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
corporationpaintball is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake13 View Post
I'm 6 years out of school and looking to go Army ROTC after I get back from this deployment, hoping for recommendations on veteran-friendly schools

SAT:1400 (never took the new one)
GPA: 2.66

I don't know if military awards help with college admissions (prob depends on the school) but I also have a CIB, Purple Heart, and am told that paperwork is being done on an ARCOM with valor device.
What would you like to be majoring in first of all? And be sure you put all your military awards on your applications, most applications have an 'awards' section where you can write them in. Play those up, schools like to brag about such things and if it benefits you in the process then it's win-win.

Old Feedback (+20/-0) | New Feedback (+37/-0)
Annual Supporting Member Council Elite
corporationpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:11 PM #15
MVPaintballer
Mega Flagellator

Annual Supporting Member
I agree without a doubt. You need to sell your army experience more than anything else. If there is a section for awards, put them there. Some even ask about military awards, put them there too. If you need to write an essay, put them there. Resume? Put them there. If you're modest in your application you're doing it wrong.

Applications need to tell a story, and whether you like it or not, your application is about how your military experience drove you to go to college.

You can look up stats on "non-traditional" applicants. There are a lot of schools that like students that don't come straight from high school, and other schools like to brag about that as well.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:36 PM #16
Boilermaker Special

Purdue University freshman year
University of Evansville now; expected graduation 2012.
Mechanical Engineering.

Studying 5 hours a week for the GMAT, and will apply for b schools after I take the exam this winter.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:24 PM #17
BCdude
The O-fishel

BCdude helped look for balloons
I'm going to be a Junior in HS, and am looking into Nuclear Engineering as a Major in NC State or Tennessee U. Anybody know anything about this major?

Also, I'm pretty worried about getting into either of these schools, but it might just be me being myself as always, so heres my "stats".

SAT: 1730
GPA: 3.9/4.0 (Not sure)

Sports:
Wrestling - JV/V (Will be doing junior and senior year also)
Lacrosse - JV/JV (Quitting this year)

NCSU Paintball
BCdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:04 PM #18
AnonymousTPT Ian (Banned)

Wrote a college essay and wondering what you guys think about it.
My topic was Evaluate a significant experience, achievement, risk you have taken, or ethical dilemma you have faced and its impact on you.

During my kindergarten years i was diagnosed with Guillain-Barré syndrome. The bodies' immune system attacks the peripheral nervous system, the system responsible for the bodies conscious and unconscious activities. Creating tingling sensations or weakness in the body in its early stage. It can work its intensity up until you are almost totally paralyzed and even shut off the heart and lungs. When you go to sit down have you ever thought of being trapped inside your own body? It was the worst thing I've ever experienced but it has shaped how I grew up and given me motivation.

Not being able to move my arms or legs I was put in a hospital bed for a couple of days. I came to the conclusion that the most important thing was my education and thought process because thats all that I had left of my bodies function. Fortunately, I became able to walk with a walker and use my arms with limited movement. It is then when I began to meet the other kids in the children's section of Stony Brook Hospital. Each with their own problems I realized that I was lucky and things could be a lot worse which helped me cope with my problems. At my neurologist appointment was when I first became fascinated with medicine and the medical field. How everything you do is controlled by your brain and nerves. My slow progression helped me step up and work harder for what I wanted which included knowledge and my physical rehabilitation.

I always challenged myself. I swam for rehabilitation of my muscles until I was ready to swim competitively. The first time where I could look back and realize how far I've come from being completely paralyzed to normal again. It was the doctors in the hospital along with my neurologist that saved my life. By diagnosing me and treating me accordingly i was able to recover and become what I am today.

From what i was able to accomplish I look to the future to accomplish even bigger and better things. My interest in the medical field brings me the curiosity to find out more about the human body. As I continue to learn I hope that one day I will be able to help out people that had an illness like me or any of the children I met during my stay at the hospital.
AnonymousTPT Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:00 PM #19
Michael Scott
Is gettin a boner

I'm a senior now, recently applied to my first fleet of schools: (In order of my interest in them)
University of Michigan
Penn State University Park
University of Maryland
Ohio State University
University of Miami
Northeastern University
University of Connecticut

Really interested in the first 5, bottom 2 were really only because they don't have a supplement on the common app.

I have a 3.23 GPA in a top 10 NJ High school. I've taken 10 Ap and Honors classes. This year I'm taking AP Psych, Syracuse English, and Syracuse Forensics.

I have a few good E.C's: I was a summer camp counselor for 3 years, did my schools big brother program, have been successful in DECA for 2 years, Rec Basketball, did Stock Market club, and did JV Bowling last year.

My high SAT score is a 1910, but I am awaiting another score tomorrow morning ( I took it again a few weeks ago)

PENN STATE
Michael Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:52 PM #20
Bharlie_Coy (Banned)

Bharlie_Coy supports Team VICIOUS
Bharlie_Coy supports Sherwood Forest
So...what do you want to know?

You'll almost definitely get into Penn State. If you REALLY wanted to go to Michigan, I would've applied early decision.
Bharlie_Coy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:05 PM #21
Michael Scott
Is gettin a boner

Just kinda feeling out what everyone else is doing. I'm pretty nervous about the whole process. I did early action; Parents were against doing anything ED because they were worried that ED limits potential financial aid.

PENN STATE
Michael Scott is offline   Reply With Quote