Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 06:42 PM #148
paintballvitale6

paintballvitale6 posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrady[UMASS] View Post
Seriously, this is proving to be a terrible representation of the players in this league. I don't know whether it's a "rule" or not, but anyone who showed up on time Sat or Sun clearly read the email in which you were asked to smoke in the parking lots. Week to week its a little more relaxed because we all have the space to spread out but for events when it's right on top of one another, just be courteous.

Cat, let it go. You've accomplished your goal of reinforcing the rules. I'm sorry you had a bad experience but coming in and repeating the "I'm a Yale graduate physician" line just doesn't help nor does the bickering with the 2 or 3 idiots who want to act tough. It just brings you down to that level as well.

For those who want to bicker and be ignorant, I understand you've made a conscious decision to smoke and continue to do so. The beauty of this country is you are free to do as you wish so far as it does not impinge upon other people's rights so go nuts, just follow the guidelines presented by the field/league and do so in the parking lot.

Furthermore, don't come on here and say "Oh, it's paintball, get used to it." I'm sure most of you would like to see this sport grow or at least get back to where it was a few years ago and bringing in new players is a needed step to that process. This means we all need to try to act as positive examples for new players and their families and friends so when you say these things or have these attitudes, you are running off the new blood and ultimately hurting yourselves.
Advertisement
Old 04-26-2010, 07:36 PM #149
FullMetalJester
NU Coach / Gun Tech

has been a member for 10 years
FullMetalJester plays in the PSP
FullMetalJester is an NCPA player
FullMetalJester plays in the APPA D4 division
Old 04-26-2010, 08:11 PM #150
mattymace

i have asthma an i felt as though other players might have been intentionally smoking near my pit to hinder my performance.......good thing i had my puffer
Old 04-26-2010, 08:26 PM #151
Logan_Dizzle
FEP family for life

you must have a lot of enemies then, if everyone knew you had asthma and premeditated a plot to hinder your play by smoking in the very spot you thought was safe.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:30 PM #152
jdev
not for hire

jdev is a Moderator
jdev is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
jdev is a Paintball photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori View Post
Obviously this is a very political debate - and the only thing I can say about the subject is that yes, the reason I put the subject of smoking in an email is because it has become an issue since we moved the events to Maynard and have staging the way we do. It has never come to this I can say - but I try to cover as many bases as I can - well aware of certain subjects that come up on a regular basis. Same reason I also included a bit about dogs at the field as well going into this season. It is starting to become an issue.

I do not ask people to respect these things based on my personal opinion of either subject - I ask it because it is all I am capable of doing. I will do even more going into the next event, I will no longer kindly ask - I will state that smoking is not allowed in the staging area. I will post no smoking signs and I will continue to try to make announcements throughout the day regarding the subject. I am willing to do all of those things HOWEVER - asking or telling doesn't make either any more enforceable for me - because I do NOT have the resources necessary to enforce it any more than simply asking allows me.

I hope that this subject will not be one after the next event based on my willingness to say that yes in fact - i am no longer asking, I am telling you that smoking is not allowed in staging - and I hope that there won't be confrontations regarding this at the events, that people can just respect what we have asked and take it to the parking lot. I am also willing to play mediator at events - and if someone brings an issue to me that they do not wish to take on themselves - I will step in. These are things that I will commit to doing - however - I cannot say that we will patrol, and throw out and essentially pick fights about the issue - because as is evident in this thread - it has the potential to get ugly - and again, we do not have the resources necessary to be watchdogs. Same thing with dogs - and same thing with drinking. I can ask, I can tell - but the rules are only as good as the ability to enforce them - and that I am telling you straight out - I do not have.

I hope this ends any possible debate about whether or not you can smoke in staging. You cannot. More than that however, I hope that the heated debate about the subject itself will end in a we can agree to disagree fashion - that if nothing else - we can respect that we have differences, that we as adults can at least abide by the certain things that are asked of us - and that some compromise will be required on both sides.

Thank you
Lori

More than satisfactory answer in my eyes.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread