Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2010, 03:16 PM #85
PBTriChick
Cougar
 
PBTriChick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Boston
PBTriChick owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
PBTriChick supports Bob Gurnsey
PBTriChick plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyDawgsfan11 View Post
Man, those cigarettes must have been laced with like LSD or something.

Because apparently breathing it in second hand causes you to lose.
nope we are just brand spankin' new. Which means we will only get better
__________________
--Cat

Captain, Invert PimpMini Factory Team
pimpmini.com
'I shoot cubs'
PBTriChick is offline  
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-26-2010, 03:20 PM #86
FullMetalJester
NU Coach / Gun Tech
 
FullMetalJester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New England
 has been a member for 10 years
FullMetalJester plays in the PSP
FullMetalJester is an NCPA player
FullMetalJester plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekey View Post
Ill vouch for em. Didnt see him with a Cigar at all Saturday...it was kinda weird.
I happen to remember seeing someone in a certain Section handing Jeff a cigar......

FullMetalJester is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 03:20 PM #87
Seekey
Dave
 
Seekey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Clinton, MA
Seekey plays in the PSP
Seekey plays in the APPA D3 division
Seekey supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyDawgsfan11 View Post
Man, those cigarettes must have been laced with like LSD or something.
My teamates must have started smoking because after everybody claims their kills we just won a 5 on 14. Halucinations would explain the extra bodies.
__________________
Fotron/Invasion
PSP | NEXL | foxBall
Seekey is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 03:22 PM #88
ombres13
 
 
ombres13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N.Carolina
ombres13 plays in the PSP
ombres13 supports our troops
ombres13 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstabals View Post
With all due respect, I would think the least of your concerns for your children should be the smoking at the event. I would think you would be more concerned with the risk of them getting hurt, or encountering people they do not know well. Perhaps you should be more concerned with why you feel Paintball is an appropriate place for your children in the first place. Tournament paintball while appearing to be a young/teen game is often full of adult men/ women. If you choose to have your children at these events, you will have to be cognizant of the fact that not all of what goes on is going to be to your liking.

Smoking is a choice . Just like any other choice, those that do it, do so with full knowledge of the health risk it poses. Enforcing a smoking ban in an outdoor setting is difficult at best. As a parent myself, I can see your point of view but think it is unrealistic, especially at this type of an event. Most people who smoke at the events try to be conscious of those around them particularly children. However, this can not be done 100% of the time. If it poses such a problem for you as a parent, then perhaps indoor paintball is a better choice for you and your family. It would alleviate the smoking issue altogether. While I am sure that you feel your opinion supercedes those of others on this issue(as you are an educated physician), it is just that, an opinion , to which everyone is entitled. It is your right to express dislike for smoking at the events, just as it is the right of those who smoke to do so outdoors.

As a side note, being an athlete and smoking have been linked for years.Its well know that many athletes smoke, chew tobacco or do many other things you wouldn't think would be becoming of an athlete. But, that doesn't make those athletes any less talented or make them less of a person.
People with this type of mentality show how immature paintball and many of the players still are. The OP shouldn't go to the events because there are immature careless people? Really? Is that the statement you were really wanting to open with? People who care about their bodies shouldn't attend this sporting event because there are ignorant people there? These events only appear to be an event catering young/child players but are filled with adults? Really? So children shouldn't compete in paintball? Children shouldn't attend these events? Really? Be cognizant that everything isn't to their liking? How about people follow the posted rules?
Smoking in the crowd- you are taking away the rights of the other people standing near you. You are (we'll say potentially for those who are really ignorant) harming those around you. People stating that they should just walk away are ignoring that asking the other people to walk away because YOU (the smoker) want to stand there and smoke is backwards. The person NOT smoking has to leave and not watch the event because a choice YOU make? Really?

No one is saying the smokers are less of a person. The point of the OP is that there was a designated area to smoke and the smoking was rampant elsewhere.

The smokers took away the rights of the other attendees. Not the other way around.
ombres13 is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 03:24 PM #89
big_murph1986
 
 
big_murph1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: birmingham, alabama
big_murph1986 plays in the PSP
big_murph1986 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
big_murph1986 plays in the APPA D5 division
big_murph1986 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBTriChick View Post
My asthma is STILL bothering me today.
So that has to do with the smoke only? Not the fact that it's SPRING? Pollen is everywhere. And it ... wait for it... irritates your sinuses and your throat! I would think that Yale might mention that during medical school.

Also, if you are noticing that someone is smoking while you're in the snake maybe you should pay a little more attention to the game.



Just stirring up more trouble.
__________________
"There's no way you can die going to that corner unless you ****in walk there, you ****in run your *** off, you hit the ****in dirt, you shoot the tape, cause your faster than those fat ****s and you will shoot them going there, or oversliding" - Casey "Gator" Glaze

GEAR
big_murph1986 is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 03:29 PM #90
PBTriChick
Cougar
 
PBTriChick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Boston
PBTriChick owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
PBTriChick supports Bob Gurnsey
PBTriChick plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_murph1986 View Post
So that has to do with the smoke only? Not the fact that it's SPRING? Pollen is everywhere. And it ... wait for it... irritates your sinuses and your throat! I would think that Yale might mention that during medical school.

Also, if you are noticing that someone is smoking while you're in the snake maybe you should pay a little more attention to the game.



Just stirring up more trouble.
I would say bite me but you might ask where.

No I did not notice smoke whilst in the snake but after being shot out I did on the walk back.

And actually allergies are a separate category from asthma as far as irritants. Allergic rhinitis is under quite good control thanks. So yes, the irritant of smoke was the tip over for lung issues.
__________________
--Cat

Captain, Invert PimpMini Factory Team
pimpmini.com
'I shoot cubs'
PBTriChick is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 03:31 PM #91
m_kenney
I gettemouttahere
 
m_kenney's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
m_kenney plays in the PSP
m_kenney owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
m_kenney plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBTriChick View Post
My asthma is STILL bothering me today.
I don't mean to stir anything up, but it was also extremely dusty at maynard this weekend. Im not asthematic or anything, and im feeling it in my lungs after two 14 hour days at the field.
__________________
"Originally posted by amontoya: lori, can i prepay in advance for the fines that i am going to incur over the season??? =)"
m_kenney is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 03:34 PM #92
Stealth47
Snake Charmer
 
Stealth47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: LI, New York
 has been a member for 10 years
True, u cannot blame your asthma on smokeing alone when your outdoor, in the middle of woods, with wind kicking up dust in prime pollen season.
__________________
Blue/Chrome 08 Ego
Oilve 05 Shocker

Dark Riders D2 7man

Last edited by Stealth47 : 04-26-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Stealth47 is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 03:35 PM #93
Logan_Dizzle
FEP family for life
 
Logan_Dizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NH
alot of you are actually being rude and making it look bad on yourself. the comment about losing, that should not be tolerated.

'to back up what i have been saying this whole time, if you addressed your concerns with Lori and she did indeed make an announcement, then your frustration shouldn't lie with smokers, it should be with the staff. laws and rules are only as good as the people who will abide by them.

if there isn't anyone to enforce it, no one will bother to follow it. thats common knowledge
__________________
FEP Family for Life
Capital Punishment 7 man
nice quest for sale!
Logan_Dizzle is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 03:36 PM #94
J. Stein
 
J. Stein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
J. Stein is a Supporting Member
J. Stein is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
J. Stein plays in the PSP
J. Stein donated to help Peyton Trent
Yeah. Someone handed me a cigar and I brought it home and smoked it sitting by the fire at a cookout Saturday night.

And what is this vouching for me crap? I need people to vouche for me?
__________________
Warzone Paintball & Airsoft
1-401-228-6366

Warzone Facebook
www.warzoneri.com

RIP Ronnie
J. Stein is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 03:36 PM #95
Seekey
Dave
 
Seekey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Clinton, MA
Seekey plays in the PSP
Seekey plays in the APPA D3 division
Seekey supports Empire
The problem is on both sides.
Smokers generally seem to feel like they should be able to smoke anywhere.
Non-Smokers generally feel seem to like they should be able to breath clean air anywhere.

If its a smoking facility a Non-Smoker has no right to tell a Smoker to put it out. Just the same as a Smoker has no right to be blowing smoke in a Non-Smoking facility/area.

Parking lot is the smoking area. Staging/Feilds is the non-smoking area.

It wasnt until recently that the government stepped in to regulate it in indoor places of business and many public areas. Personally I feel it should be a buisness decision. A bar should be able to allow smoking inside if they feel that the cleaning bill is worth the gains in revinue from the people hanging around a little longer rather than taking off when they need a cigarette. At the same time I as a customer would much rather go to a Non smoking bar.
__________________
Fotron/Invasion
PSP | NEXL | foxBall
Seekey is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 03:41 PM #96
Stealth47
Snake Charmer
 
Stealth47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: LI, New York
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekey View Post
The problem is on both sides.
Smokers generally seem to feel like they should be able to smoke anywhere.
Non-Smokers generally feel seem to like they should be able to breath clean air anywhere.

If its a smoking facility a Non-Smoker has no right to tell a Smoker to put it out. Just the same as a Smoker has no right to be blowing smoke in a Non-Smoking facility/area.

Parking lot is the smoking area. Staging/Feilds is the non-smoking area.

It wasnt until recently that the government stepped in to regulate it in indoor places of business and many public areas. Personally I feel it should be a buisness decision. A bar should be able to allow smoking inside if they feel that the cleaning bill is worth the gains in revinue from the people hanging around a little longer rather than taking off when they need a cigarette. At the same time I as a customer would much rather go to a Non smoking bar.
This was not agreed upon, it was not put into "the rules" and there we no signs and very little announcments made about where to smoke. Otherwise you would have a valid point. Now let's wait for lori and NEPL to step in and well all talk about it instead of trying to tell people what to do because you don't like it.
__________________
Blue/Chrome 08 Ego
Oilve 05 Shocker

Dark Riders D2 7man
Stealth47 is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 03:43 PM #97
PBTriChick
Cougar
 
PBTriChick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Boston
PBTriChick owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
PBTriChick supports Bob Gurnsey
PBTriChick plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekey View Post
The problem is on both sides.
Smokers generally seem to feel like they should be able to smoke anywhere.
Non-Smokers generally feel seem to like they should be able to breath clean air anywhere.

If its a smoking facility a Non-Smoker has no right to tell a Smoker to put it out. Just the same as a Smoker has no right to be blowing smoke in a Non-Smoking facility/area.

Parking lot is the smoking area. Staging/Feilds is the non-smoking area.

It wasnt until recently that the government stepped in to regulate it in indoor places of business and many public areas. Personally I feel it should be a buisness decision. A bar should be able to allow smoking inside if they feel that the cleaning bill is worth the gains in revinue from the people hanging around a little longer rather than taking off when they need a cigarette. At the same time I as a customer would much rather go to a Non smoking bar.

The reason it was not left in the hands of businesses was to protect workers - bartenders, wait staff etc. Same with airplanes and flight attendants....
__________________
--Cat

Captain, Invert PimpMini Factory Team
pimpmini.com
'I shoot cubs'
PBTriChick is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 03:46 PM #98
PBTriChick
Cougar
 
PBTriChick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Boston
PBTriChick owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
PBTriChick supports Bob Gurnsey
PBTriChick plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth47 View Post
This was not agreed upon, it was not put into "the rules" and there we no signs and very little announcments made about where to smoke. Otherwise you would have a valid point. Now let's wait for lori and NEPL to step in and well all talk about it instead of trying to tell people what to do because you don't like it.
here is the section from the Event Details Email:

Quote:
Staging

Teams will all have tents / picnic tables so there is no need to bring them with you. Locations have been assigned - please find your area on the maps below - we will also have a map with placement upon arrival - however it helps tremendously if you come prepared. There are at least 30 trash containers throughout the Players Village - we ask that you please be responsible for your area. Please empty paint pods / hoppers into the barrels, and we kindly ask that if you need to smoke - you do so in the parking lot as these are close quarters.

Staging layouts can be found HERE:

now if you want to argue semantics that because she said 'kindly ask' it is not a rule then I would argue you are being silly.
__________________
--Cat

Captain, Invert PimpMini Factory Team
pimpmini.com
'I shoot cubs'
PBTriChick is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 03:47 PM #99
Seekey
Dave
 
Seekey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Clinton, MA
Seekey plays in the PSP
Seekey plays in the APPA D3 division
Seekey supports Empire
I can tell you as a person who has been playing/working at Maynard for a good 4-5 years now. That has been the policy and is currently the policy.

There is nothing to agree on its BPS's call.


Quote:
Originally Posted by PBTriChick View Post
The reason it was not left in the hands of businesses was to protect workers - bartenders, wait staff etc. Same with airplanes and flight attendants....
And I would reply that with, you should take the health risks into consideration before taking a job. If you work in a smoking bar you should consider that before taking the job. Just the same as a lumberjack knows he can get squished by a tree when it drops but they still take the job.
__________________
Fotron/Invasion
PSP | NEXL | foxBall

Last edited by Seekey : 04-26-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Seekey is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 03:58 PM #100
aggpaintballingma
NEPL
 
aggpaintballingma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Massachusetts 508
aggpaintballingma is playing at Living Legends III
aggpaintballingma owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Stein View Post
Yeah. Someone handed me a cigar and I brought it home and smoked it sitting by the fire at a cookout Saturday night.

And what is this vouching for me crap? I need people to vouche for me?
Haha best comment of this entire thread that has become a cluster **** of stupid crap.
__________________
New England Hurricane Supporter #219
U.S. ARMY
aggpaintballingma is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 04:04 PM #101
PBTriChick
Cougar
 
PBTriChick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Boston
PBTriChick owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
PBTriChick supports Bob Gurnsey
PBTriChick plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekey View Post


And I would reply that with, you should take the health risks into consideration before taking a job. If you work in a smoking bar you should consider that before taking the job. Just the same as a lumberjack knows he can get squished by a tree when it drops but they still take the job.

I see what you are saying, I think it was looked at as the possibility of not having more choices employment wise, and of health insurance and disability coverage not following once you leave the job - lumberjacks have MAJOR insurance policies - same with crane operators etc. But if someone works in a smoking bar for 10 or 20 years then leaves, they no longer have that coverage when they get cancer (all types not just lung here) or other illness....

and additionally as more and more data comes out it becomes a public health hazard (the original point of this thread) so public health officials have been pushing legislation to outlaw it in more and more areas. Personally I do not understand why parks, particularly ones with playgrounds, allow smoking.
__________________
--Cat

Captain, Invert PimpMini Factory Team
pimpmini.com
'I shoot cubs'
PBTriChick is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 04:12 PM #102
Lori
It's all About BOSTON!
 
Lori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Boston Paintball
Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Lori is an Ultimate field/store owner
Lori donated to help Peyton Trent
Obviously this is a very political debate - and the only thing I can say about the subject is that yes, the reason I put the subject of smoking in an email is because it has become an issue since we moved the events to Maynard and have staging the way we do. It has never come to this I can say - but I try to cover as many bases as I can - well aware of certain subjects that come up on a regular basis. Same reason I also included a bit about dogs at the field as well going into this season. It is starting to become an issue.

I do not ask people to respect these things based on my personal opinion of either subject - I ask it because it is all I am capable of doing. I will do even more going into the next event, I will no longer kindly ask - I will state that smoking is not allowed in the staging area. I will post no smoking signs and I will continue to try to make announcements throughout the day regarding the subject. I am willing to do all of those things HOWEVER - asking or telling doesn't make either any more enforceable for me - because I do NOT have the resources necessary to enforce it any more than simply asking allows me.

I hope that this subject will not be one after the next event based on my willingness to say that yes in fact - i am no longer asking, I am telling you that smoking is not allowed in staging - and I hope that there won't be confrontations regarding this at the events, that people can just respect what we have asked and take it to the parking lot. I am also willing to play mediator at events - and if someone brings an issue to me that they do not wish to take on themselves - I will step in. These are things that I will commit to doing - however - I cannot say that we will patrol, and throw out and essentially pick fights about the issue - because as is evident in this thread - it has the potential to get ugly - and again, we do not have the resources necessary to be watchdogs. Same thing with dogs - and same thing with drinking. I can ask, I can tell - but the rules are only as good as the ability to enforce them - and that I am telling you straight out - I do not have.

I hope this ends any possible debate about whether or not you can smoke in staging. You cannot. More than that however, I hope that the heated debate about the subject itself will end in a we can agree to disagree fashion - that if nothing else - we can respect that we have differences, that we as adults can at least abide by the certain things that are asked of us - and that some compromise will be required on both sides.

Thank you
Lori
__________________
Lori Miller
BOSTONPAINTBALL / The NEPL / THE NEXL
TheNEPL@Gmail.com
Facebook / Twitter
2014 NEPL / NEXL Information Now Available
www.bostonpaintball.com / www.thenepl.com / www.thenexl.com
Lori is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 04:30 PM #103
Stealth47
Snake Charmer
 
Stealth47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: LI, New York
 has been a member for 10 years
Thankyou, now that that's settled, maybe we can close the thread?
__________________
Blue/Chrome 08 Ego
Oilve 05 Shocker

Dark Riders D2 7man
Stealth47 is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 04:31 PM #104
HostileIntent
Run Thru Ninja
 
HostileIntent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MA
 has been a member for 10 years
HostileIntent owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Threating to contact the d.o.t. Is just weak. You deal with people yourself if your an adult. Rats do things otherwise. And this thread is getting relentless. Have an issue, take it up with event organizers. Their the only ones who can do anything. Or even just ask nice and I'm sure people will move. If they don't or are rude then you have an issue, one that you take care of yourself, you don't go crying to the d.o.t.
I'm sure lori has seen the thread and will impliment stricter guidlines in the future. Yesterday was a great event and even a little smoke/smog can't take that away. Figures it's a broad that brought this up LOL j/k...
__________________
JG the 187 cheater beater run thru masta overshoot blasta!

*1ne

"you gotta get that money no matter how you do... secret inditement ****, right thur"

Last edited by HostileIntent : 04-26-2010 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Sp
HostileIntent is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 04:32 PM #105
noobzorus23
 
 
noobzorus23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ∑$$U$$$
noobzorus23 is BST Trusted
noobzorus23 supports Cereal Killerz 2
noobzorus23 donated to help Peyton Trent
noobzorus23 helped look for balloons
I'm not trying to start stuff, but for the record... nobody in the past seems to have a problem with it. My friend has asthma very bad and he didn't have problems with the people smoking. I am not a smoker and I support what you say, but people can make there own decisions if they want to smoke. Lori did say that if people want to smoke to please go to the parking lot and not in the staging, but she didn't enforce it I think because it really wasn't a problem. If it really bothered you that much you could have nicely asked them to put it out instead of ranting about it on the internet.

Edit: Lori said it all.
__________________
When you know what you want and you focus upon what you want and keep heading towards what you want then eventually you will get what you want. For you must first dream before you can live the dream.

Last edited by noobzorus23 : 04-26-2010 at 04:35 PM.
noobzorus23 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump