sumorai is a Mega Moderator
sumorai is a Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
sumorai is playing at Living Legends VII
sumorai supports our troops
sumorai has perfected Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzyballer View Post
wow tis thread is epic fail.....if someones smoking around and it bothers you...walk away...you cant hold people to the same values you have...thats insane..personally i smoke, just a couple a day but still smoke..if there is a kid around ill take it elsewhere...but if your a capible adult and you dont like it take a walk....and as far as something being posted as a rule and not being followed..well dont blame the violator, blame the authority for not enforcing policy...
What if you're pitting right next to them? You can't just walk away.

Sorry, but smoking in public is not a "victimless" activity. Your second-hand smoke does not just disappear once you exhale. It hangs in the air and affects other people in the vicinity. If there are people around with asthma then it is physically harming them and you should walk away.

NEPb - Simonized - Inception Designs - Destructive Customs - Clockwork Clothing - Feedback: Old New - Stuff for sale

I am not a MacDev tech. Please do not PM me about their products. Click here instead
Old 04-26-2010, 11:09 AM #23
PlanetBozrah

PlanetBozrah owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
PlanetBozrah plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzyballer View Post
wow tis thread is epic fail.....if someones smoking around and it bothers you...walk away...you cant hold people to the same values you have...thats insane..personally i smoke, just a couple a day but still smoke..if there is a kid around ill take it elsewhere...but if your a capible adult and you dont like it take a walk....and as far as something being posted as a rule and not being followed..well dont blame the violator, blame the authority for not enforcing policy...
Wow calling someones thread an epic fail cuz they care about there kids well-being? Real classy man....

Btw i don't know if you were @ these events but there were kids everywhere. You are right about one thing...the rules in place were not enforced but something tells me they will be next time.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:17 AM #24
Llamasoop858XSV
4:19 gotta minute?

Llamasoop858XSV helped look for balloons
Llamasoop858XSV owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Llamasoop858XSV supports Team VICIOUS
Llamasoop858XSV plays in the APPA beginner division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan_Dizzle View Post
I'm surprised you aren't up in arms about the drinking that went on at the event.....I don't care about any of it but you should have told lori so she could make an announcement to kill it instantly. People are only human.

Not trying to discredit or argue with this but I know a guy who is a doctor too. He's a doctor of plants. You can have a doctrate in a lot of frivolious things. So anyone that posted saying dood she's a doctor listen. Would you listen to a plant doctor? Just saying.
yeah but OP is a physician which is a doctor of people, just pointing out that in this case the type of doctor does apply

but indeed a plant doctor would have little credibility in this matter
Old 04-26-2010, 11:21 AM #25
Stealth47
Snake Charmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamasoop858XSV View Post
yeah but OP is a physician which is a doctor of people, just pointing out that in this case the type of doctor does apply

but indeed a plant doctor would have little credibility in this matter
He didnt mean that when he said "plant doctor". He was just talking about doctors in general.

Dark Riders D2 7man
Old 04-26-2010, 11:22 AM #26
monstabals

monstabals owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBTriChick View Post
I am appalled at the amount of smoking that went on at the tables and on the sidelines of this first event.

Let's start with the fact that Lori put in the email that smoking was only to occur in the parking lot. Then add in the number of CHILDREN at the event. Next all of us with asthma.

Against all of that those of you smoking are THAT self centered? really?

I am a physician, with asthma, who was there with my 2 children, 12 and 14, who also have asthma. Never mind that it is beyond me how anyone wants to call themselves an athlete and smoke. I am not your physician - you want to kill yourself fine, but keep it away from the rest of us.

And don't think that it is only a problem for people around you with asthma. Second hand smoke is a KNOWN issue

Environmental Tobacco Smoke: Respiratory and Other Health Effects

Clinics in Chest Medicine - Volume 28, Issue 3 (September 2007)

In general, people are better informed about the risks of active smoking than the dangers of environmental tobacco smoke (ETS). As more information is gathered, however, it has become clear that the dangers of ETS are undeniable. There is no safe level of exposure to ETS. In the 2006 Surgeon General's report on secondhand smoke, Dr. Richard H. Carmona declared, “the debate is over.” The data reported since the landmark 1986 Surgeon General's report on the health hazards of secondhand smoke documents beyond any doubt that second hand smoke harms people's health. Millions of Americans still are exposed to ETS in their homes and workplaces despite the considerable progress in tobacco control. Written by 22 scientists, the 2006 Surgeon General's report was reviewed by at least 40 peer reviewers and 30 independent investigators [1]. The damaging effects of ETS reach far beyond the lungs. As discussed in this article, multiple body systems are harmed. The recognized adverse health effects of ETS exposure include chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD); asthma; upper and lower respiratory tract infections; cardiovascular disease; lung, breast, and cervical cancer; and childhood illnesses, such as middle ear disease and sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). It is reported that ETS exposure is the third leading cause of preventable death in the United States, resulting in more than 50,000 deaths per year [2]. The United States Environmental Protection Agency classifies ETS as a group A carcinogen, given the large number of known or suspected carcinogens in tobacco smoke [3].

PLEASE stop endangering all our lives and if you really have to smoke GO TO THE PARKING LOT.
With all due respect, I would think the least of your concerns for your children should be the smoking at the event. I would think you would be more concerned with the risk of them getting hurt, or encountering people they do not know well. Perhaps you should be more concerned with why you feel Paintball is an appropriate place for your children in the first place. Tournament paintball while appearing to be a young/teen game is often full of adult men/ women. If you choose to have your children at these events, you will have to be cognizant of the fact that not all of what goes on is going to be to your liking.

Smoking is a choice . Just like any other choice, those that do it, do so with full knowledge of the health risk it poses. Enforcing a smoking ban in an outdoor setting is difficult at best. As a parent myself, I can see your point of view but think it is unrealistic, especially at this type of an event. Most people who smoke at the events try to be conscious of those around them particularly children. However, this can not be done 100% of the time. If it poses such a problem for you as a parent, then perhaps indoor paintball is a better choice for you and your family. It would alleviate the smoking issue altogether. While I am sure that you feel your opinion supercedes those of others on this issue(as you are an educated physician), it is just that, an opinion , to which everyone is entitled. It is your right to express dislike for smoking at the events, just as it is the right of those who smoke to do so outdoors.

As a side note, being an athlete and smoking have been linked for years.Its well know that many athletes smoke, chew tobacco or do many other things you wouldn't think would be becoming of an athlete. But, that doesn't make those athletes any less talented or make them less of a person.

Last edited by monstabals : 04-26-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:24 AM #27
PBTriChick
Cougar

PBTriChick owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
PBTriChick supports Bob Gurnsey
PBTriChick plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth47 View Post
Were you a player? Or just at the event taking a look,or you knew someone playing.
I played both days. 3 man saturday on TriGunz, 5 man sunday on Ultimate Supremacy. My older son played my younger son staffed.

As to the guy who suggests that 'capable adults' should just move - uhm the tables were rather close together, and so what am I supposed to do as I am cleaning gear and podding up for the next match? and as I am crawling up the snake and some nimrod is smoking on the other side of the netting I cannot just walk away.

Captain, Invert PimpMini Factory Team
pimpmini.com
'I shoot cubs'
Old 04-26-2010, 11:27 AM #28
Stealth47
Snake Charmer

Quote:
I played both days. 3 man saturday on TriGunz, 5 man sunday on Ultimate Supremacy. My older son played my younger son staffed.

As to the guy who suggests that 'capable adults' should just move - uhm the tables were rather close together, and so what am I supposed to do as I am cleaning gear and podding up for the next match? and as I am crawling up the snake and some nimrod is smoking on the other side of the netting I cannot just walk away.
If you were not a player i would say why sit there and complain, but seeing as you were a player i can see where your coming from. Its kinda like sitting in the smokeing section of a bar and complaining about all the smoke, as if you werent a player

Dark Riders D2 7man
Old 04-26-2010, 12:00 PM #29
PBTriChick
Cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstabals View Post
With all due respect, I would think the least of your concerns for your children should be the smoking at the event. I would think you would be more concerned with the risk of them getting hurt, or encountering people they do not know well. Perhaps you should be more concerned with why you feel Paintball is an appropriate place for your children in the first place. Tournament paintball while appearing to be a young/teen game is often full of adult men/ women. If you choose to have your children at these events, you will have to be cognizant of the fact that not all of what goes on is going to be to your liking.

Smoking is a choice . Just like any other choice, those that do it, do so with full knowledge of the health risk it poses. Enforcing a smoking ban in an outdoor setting is difficult at best. As a parent myself, I can see your point of view but think it is unrealistic, especially at this type of an event. Most people who smoke at the events try to be conscious of those around them particularly children. However, this can not be done 100% of the time. If it poses such a problem for you as a parent, then perhaps indoor paintball is a better choice for you and your family. It would alleviate the smoking issue altogether. While I am sure that you feel your opinion supercedes those of others on this issue(as you are an educated physician), it is just that, an opinion , to which everyone is entitled. It is your right to express dislike for smoking at the events, just as it is the right of those who smoke to do so outdoors.

As a side note, being an athlete and smoking have been linked for years.Its well know that many athletes smoke, chew tobacco or do many other things you wouldn't think would be becoming of an athlete. But, that doesn't make those athletes any less talented or make them less of a person.

Smoking is a choice. Second hand smoke is NOT a choice. THAT is the point.

Lori emailed the rules - including the fact that smoking was ONLY to be done in the parking lot and stating that it is close quarters.

I stated FACTS about ETS - not just an opinion. This is not about what I like or dislike this is a health risk that is AGAINST THE RULES OF THE EVENT.

Paintball does not have any more injuries than other activities when practiced safely, which we do. As to my 12 and 14 year old boys encountering people they don't know??? really as a parent you think that is more concerning than having asthma inducing carcinogens blown on them? Wow just wow.

This is not about rights, you have every right to smoke. This is about everyone else's right to breathe.

pimpmini.com
'I shoot cubs'
Old 04-26-2010, 12:07 PM #30
jrpierre85
Predator

jrpierre85 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Wow, I wasnt expecting all of this. To level the Ground I am Captain of the Cougar's Team! and a Pack a day smoker myself. To defend both sides, her kids are on the team and are players (which is why we have those wonderful waiver thingies). As a responsible mother (Which i can vouch for) and a concerned Physician (which I can also vouch for), she makes a strong and valid point.

Being a smoker myself, I never smoke around the team, mainly cuz I know its just nasty if your not a smoker. Saying a "Capable adult" should walk away isn't really saying much. picture your in an enclosed room, and someone sitting next to you seems to be incredibly gassy (the bad part). If your trying to enjoy what your doing, why do you need to walk away.

On the smoker side, we all know the apparent health risk, and we ARE ALL USED TO BEING pushed aside, from resturaunts, bars, and events. its a matter of being curtious to your fellow man. She's right, having my team there had a total of 4 children there (Under 15 y/o) both playing and staffing. The email lori sent out did state, and I quote "we kindly ask that if you need to smoke - you do so in the parking lot as these are close quarters."

Understanding it outside, but if you seen how close the players tables were, its similar to smoking indoors. It was a 50ft walk to an open area its not that hard to do it.

Once again I am a pack a day smoker (not that I am proud of it), and I can agree with smokers that we are tired of hearing about health risk (as we know them all) and being castrated from society essentially, BUT the Cougar has a very valid point.

a mention of drinking, Second Hand Drinking doesn't trigger any health affects lol.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:08 PM #31
jrpierre85
Predator

jrpierre85 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
It's true!
Old 04-26-2010, 12:18 PM #32
monstabals

monstabals owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:

Lori emailed the rules - including the fact that smoking was ONLY to be done in the parking lot and stating that it is close quarters.

I stated FACTS about ETS - not just an opinion. This is not about what I like or dislike this is a health risk that is AGAINST THE RULES OF THE EVENT.

Paintball does not have any more injuries than other activities when practiced safely, which we do. As to my 12 and 14 year old boys encountering people they don't know??? really as a parent you think that is more concerning than having asthma inducing carcinogens blown on them? Wow just wow.

This is not about rights, you have every right to smoke. This is about everyone else's right to breathe.
As a parent, I am more concerned about who is around my children, if you are not then what kind of parent are you? You don't know who is at these events and neither do I. To me as a parent, my concern is not who is smoking around my children, but the actual people there.

As for smoking being a health hazard to those with asthma at the event, perhaps you should also consider the other potential risks to those with asthma such as high humidity, high heat index, pollen count, and large clouds of dust. All these things can also contribute to asthma suffering at an outdoor event.

You do have a right to breathe outdoors, so walk away from those who smoke and ask for staging not near those who smoke. It is supposed to be AGAINST THE RULES OF THE EVENT, but let's be serious, this is paintball and the rules are often flexible at best whether you like it or not. Additionally, to stop people from smoking at the event totally or even confining it to the parking lot would take additional staff at the events to monitor it. Getting staff for the tournaments is difficult enough...perhaps you should volunteer for the job of Smoking Monitor....
Old 04-26-2010, 12:30 PM #33
Stealth47
Snake Charmer

Honestly,

#1 we were out doors
#2 there was enough wind to take any second hand smoke away from the stageing area immediatly.

Most of your statistics around second hand smoke has been done in an enclosed enviornment where the air is stagnant and the smoke is able to be breathed in easily. Example a bar or in your house or a room etc...

Just because you can smell it doesn't mean your breathing in all the harmful chemicals that do damage.

Dark Riders D2 7man
Old 04-26-2010, 12:42 PM #34
Stealth47
Snake Charmer

Quote:
Wrong. You cause injury to the other team to win. So every game consists of injuries.

And if your more worried about your child possibly getting asthma and developing lung disease from second hand smoke, which would take years to develope if u attended these events weekly indoors, then having your child snatched and taken away, which takes the turn of your head for just 2 seconds, then maybe you shouldn't bring them. Find someone to watch them at your home.

Dark Riders D2 7man
Old 04-26-2010, 12:49 PM #35
HostileIntent
Run Thru Ninja

has been a member for 10 years
HostileIntent owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
There should of been an anouncement. I doubt anyone ever read the rules to begin with. Your gripes with the feild organizers not the people just doing what's natural to them. I know alot of people would of complied whole heartedly if asked...

*1ne

"you gotta get that money no matter how you do... secret inditement ****, right thur"
Old 04-26-2010, 12:50 PM #36
Snaggle

Quote:
Wrong. You cause injury to the other team to win. So every game consists of injuries.

And if your more worried about your child possibly getting asthma and developing lung disease from second hand smoke, which would take years to develope if u attended these events weekly indoors, then having your child snatched and taken away, which takes the turn of your head for just 2 seconds, then maybe you shouldn't bring them. Find someone to watch them at your home.
Haha you're a joke. You're actually trying to talk her out of coming to the event with her kids for fear that they might be kidnapped? That's absurd.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:53 PM #37
PBTriChick
Cougar

Quote:

My kids and I HAVE asthma.

As to my 12 and 14 year olds, who play on the field on the same team as me being kidnapped, no I do not spend my days worrying about their being snatched - has there been some rash of paintball kidnappings to rival the snatchings in Central America? I missed that on the news.

The fact that the focus was taken from the health issues of second hand smoke in close quarters (under overhangs no less) to this level of ridiculousness just proves how disordered some people are.

pimpmini.com
'I shoot cubs'
Old 04-26-2010, 12:54 PM #38
PBTriChick
Cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HostileIntent View Post
There should of been an anouncement. I doubt anyone ever read the rules to begin with. Your gripes with the feild organizers not the people just doing what's natural to them. I know alot of people would of complied whole heartedly if asked...
It was announced, many times.

pimpmini.com
'I shoot cubs'
Old 04-26-2010, 12:57 PM #39
Seekey
Dave

Seekey plays in the PSP
Seekey plays in the APPA D3 division
Seekey supports Empire
If your smoking....take it to the parking lot. It's the rule and nobody should have a problem with it.

Cat, if people give you crap about it bring it to me or any other BPS team member or staff and we'll handle it. I'll be the one with a Lobster claw on me.

Dave, Paintball should be a family friendly enviroment. We are trying to grow this sport. Somthing as small as smoking in the parking lot could very well be a deciding factor in wether or not mom/dad is dropping them at a field.

There is no point to make guys. Smoke in the parking lot.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:02 PM #40
Stealth47
Snake Charmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggle View Post
Haha you're a joke. You're actually trying to talk her out of coming to the event with her kids for fear that they might be kidnapped? That's absurd.
This whole thing has been taken to a way farther level then it should have been. So therefore I'm making a huge deal about everything. This whole thread is absurd. And the only announcement anyone heard was in an email. They didn't not say anything to any players, and there was staff walking around the stageing area

Dark Riders D2 7man
Old 04-26-2010, 01:04 PM #41
Whitefox2474
Obviously the best

Whitefox2474 plays in the PSP
Whitefox2474 plays in the APPA D3 division
If it's in the rules, then it must be followed. I'm with the doctor on this one. I usually don't mind if people smoke around me, however I do not have asthma. But think about it. It was hard enough for people with allergies/asthma sat/sun anyway, with the high pollen count and dust being blown off the fields during paint cleanup. Throw some smoke into that, while wearing a mask that already constricts your breathing ability, and your essentially creating the perfect storm for an asthma attack. This could lead to certain dangerous situations, as obviously inhalers would be left off field. It really isn't that hard to walk 20 seconds away, smoke past the vendor booths, and then go back and play your games.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:06 PM #42
sliver1489

I agree with points made by both sides but to the guy from darkriders above me...welts are not injuries. statistically speaking it was published in '06 I believe that paintball has less serious injuries than golf. ill try and find the article later when I'm home