Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2010, 08:09 AM #1
PBTriChick
Cougar
 
PBTriChick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Boston
PBTriChick owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
PBTriChick supports Bob Gurnsey
PBTriChick plays in the APPA beginner division
Smoking at events

I am appalled at the amount of smoking that went on at the tables and on the sidelines of this first event.

Let's start with the fact that Lori put in the email that smoking was only to occur in the parking lot. Then add in the number of CHILDREN at the event. Next all of us with asthma.

Against all of that those of you smoking are THAT self centered? really?

I am a physician, with asthma, who was there with my 2 children, 12 and 14, who also have asthma. Never mind that it is beyond me how anyone wants to call themselves an athlete and smoke. I am not your physician - you want to kill yourself fine, but keep it away from the rest of us.

And don't think that it is only a problem for people around you with asthma. Second hand smoke is a KNOWN issue

Environmental Tobacco Smoke: Respiratory and Other Health Effects

Clinics in Chest Medicine - Volume 28, Issue 3 (September 2007)


In general, people are better informed about the risks of active smoking than the dangers of environmental tobacco smoke (ETS). As more information is gathered, however, it has become clear that the dangers of ETS are undeniable. There is no safe level of exposure to ETS. In the 2006 Surgeon General's report on secondhand smoke, Dr. Richard H. Carmona declared, “the debate is over.” The data reported since the landmark 1986 Surgeon General's report on the health hazards of secondhand smoke documents beyond any doubt that second hand smoke harms people's health. Millions of Americans still are exposed to ETS in their homes and workplaces despite the considerable progress in tobacco control. Written by 22 scientists, the 2006 Surgeon General's report was reviewed by at least 40 peer reviewers and 30 independent investigators [1]. The damaging effects of ETS reach far beyond the lungs. As discussed in this article, multiple body systems are harmed. The recognized adverse health effects of ETS exposure include chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD); asthma; upper and lower respiratory tract infections; cardiovascular disease; lung, breast, and cervical cancer; and childhood illnesses, such as middle ear disease and sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). It is reported that ETS exposure is the third leading cause of preventable death in the United States, resulting in more than 50,000 deaths per year [2]. The United States Environmental Protection Agency classifies ETS as a group A carcinogen, given the large number of known or suspected carcinogens in tobacco smoke [3].

PLEASE stop endangering all our lives and if you really have to smoke GO TO THE PARKING LOT.
__________________
--Cat

Captain, Invert PimpMini Factory Team
pimpmini.com
'I shoot cubs'
PBTriChick is offline  
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-26-2010, 08:17 AM #2
PlanetBozrah
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Connecticut
PlanetBozrah owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
PlanetBozrah plays in the APPA D5 division
I did notice that too...there were a few players lighting up as soon as they left the field of play.
__________________
CHAOS CREW
CT CREW
CHECK YA FACE!
PlanetBozrah is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 08:34 AM #3
TheTroglobite
Der zigeuner hasser
 
TheTroglobite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sandwich!
TheTroglobite supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBTriChick View Post
I am appalled at the amount of smoking that went on at the tables and on the sidelines of this first event.

Let's start with the fact that Lori put in the email that smoking was only to occur in the parking lot. Then add in the number of CHILDREN at the event. Next all of us with asthma.

Against all of that those of you smoking are THAT self centered? really?

I am a physician, with asthma, who was there with my 2 children, 12 and 14, who also have asthma. Never mind that it is beyond me how anyone wants to call themselves an athlete and smoke. I am not your physician - you want to kill yourself fine, but keep it away from the rest of us.

And don't think that it is only a problem for people around you with asthma. Second hand smoke is a KNOWN issue

Environmental Tobacco Smoke: Respiratory and Other Health Effects

Clinics in Chest Medicine - Volume 28, Issue 3 (September 2007)


In general, people are better informed about the risks of active smoking than the dangers of environmental tobacco smoke (ETS). As more information is gathered, however, it has become clear that the dangers of ETS are undeniable. There is no safe level of exposure to ETS. In the 2006 Surgeon General's report on secondhand smoke, Dr. Richard H. Carmona declared, “the debate is over.” The data reported since the landmark 1986 Surgeon General's report on the health hazards of secondhand smoke documents beyond any doubt that second hand smoke harms people's health. Millions of Americans still are exposed to ETS in their homes and workplaces despite the considerable progress in tobacco control. Written by 22 scientists, the 2006 Surgeon General's report was reviewed by at least 40 peer reviewers and 30 independent investigators [1]. The damaging effects of ETS reach far beyond the lungs. As discussed in this article, multiple body systems are harmed. The recognized adverse health effects of ETS exposure include chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD); asthma; upper and lower respiratory tract infections; cardiovascular disease; lung, breast, and cervical cancer; and childhood illnesses, such as middle ear disease and sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). It is reported that ETS exposure is the third leading cause of preventable death in the United States, resulting in more than 50,000 deaths per year [2]. The United States Environmental Protection Agency classifies ETS as a group A carcinogen, given the large number of known or suspected carcinogens in tobacco smoke [3].

PLEASE stop endangering all our lives and if you really have to smoke GO TO THE PARKING LOT.

It is a problem and it needs to be adressed.
__________________
I <3 Harlem Hoodrats

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3364676
BuY THIS STuff !!^

Pristine gold victory!!

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...5#post66542075
TheTroglobite is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 08:40 AM #4
ih8imps
 
 
ih8imps's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rochester NH
 has been a member for 10 years
Agree with OP 100%

Definitely an issue that needs to be addressed.
__________________
My FEEDBACK
ih8imps is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 09:09 AM #5
FullMetalJester
NU Coach / Gun Tech
 
FullMetalJester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New England
 has been a member for 10 years
FullMetalJester plays in the PSP
FullMetalJester is an NCPA player
FullMetalJester plays in the APPA D4 division
I think it's silly complain about smoking OUTSIDE... But the refs were smoking too If you want to nitpicking.

Last edited by FullMetalJester : 04-26-2010 at 09:12 AM.
FullMetalJester is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 09:38 AM #6
PlanetBozrah
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Connecticut
PlanetBozrah owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
PlanetBozrah plays in the APPA D5 division
What's so hard about walking 100ft to the parking lot to smoke? Lori did post the rule and if the refs were doin it too that doesn't make it right.

Doesn't matter if your inside or outside......smoke in your face is smoke in your face. Member of my team smoke and respectfully walked to the smoking area.

Btw she is a DOCTOR.... I think she knows the risks of second hand smoke
__________________
CHAOS CREW
CT CREW
CHECK YA FACE!
PlanetBozrah is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 09:47 AM #7
kuski19
 
 
kuski19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: cbus
I don't play this tournament series but its dumb to complain about second hand smoke outside. It takes people years and years of smoking a pack a day to develop lung cancer, and non smokers feel that one breath of smoke is going to kill them.
__________________
The Ohio State University
kuski19 is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 09:59 AM #8
PBTriChick
Cougar
 
PBTriChick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Boston
PBTriChick owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
PBTriChick supports Bob Gurnsey
PBTriChick plays in the APPA beginner division
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuski19 View Post
I don't play this tournament series but its dumb to complain about second hand smoke outside. It takes people years and years of smoking a pack a day to develop lung cancer, and non smokers feel that one breath of smoke is going to kill them.
My asthma is STILL bothering me today. So you are wrong. I will put up my medical degree from Yale against your opinion here.

Second hand smoke even outside TRIGGERS DISEASE. My boys and I had issues with breathing both days, at night, not to mention the cumulative effects.

There is a reason TOWNS are outlawing smoking ANYWHERE outside or inside. This is not just a made up concern. The data is strong. If you like I will put up ALL the research rather than just a review article.
__________________
--Cat

Captain, Invert PimpMini Factory Team
pimpmini.com
'I shoot cubs'
PBTriChick is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 10:00 AM #9
pballer2786
Snake
 
pballer2786's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boston, MA
pballer2786 plays in the PSP
pballer2786 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
pballer2786 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuski19 View Post
I don't play this tournament series but its dumb to complain about second hand smoke outside. It takes people years and years of smoking a pack a day to develop lung cancer, and non smokers feel that one breath of smoke is going to kill them.
Yeah but read her post... she has kids and herself with asthma. Even a bit of that smoke can trigger an asthma exacerbation...
__________________
FeeDbacK: (+15 /-0)
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...3#post35323853
NEXL/FOXBALL/PSP 2015
(EAST) BOSTON DUCKS
pballer2786 is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 10:01 AM #10
PBTriChick
Cougar
 
PBTriChick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Boston
PBTriChick owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
PBTriChick supports Bob Gurnsey
PBTriChick plays in the APPA beginner division
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullMetalJester View Post
I think it's silly complain about smoking OUTSIDE... But the refs were smoking too If you want to nitpicking.
Increased risk of all lung diseases, just the smell on clothing will trigger asthma and in fact CAUSE it in children, increase risks of ALL cancers - did you read the review above before you posted your opinion?

And the refs smoking are an issue too.

Not to mention that lighting up near compressed tanks is not a winning idea either.
__________________
--Cat

Captain, Invert PimpMini Factory Team
pimpmini.com
'I shoot cubs'
PBTriChick is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 10:10 AM #11
PlanetBozrah
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Connecticut
PlanetBozrah owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
PlanetBozrah plays in the APPA D5 division
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuski19 View Post
I don't play this tournament series but its dumb to complain about second hand smoke outside. It takes people years and years of smoking a pack a day to develop lung cancer, and non smokers feel that one breath of smoke is going to kill them.
No offense but dude.....she is a DOCTOR!!!! its hard to argue with that.

Why cant smokers take a walk? No one is sayin you cant do it...just do it in the place your supposed to thats all!
__________________
CHAOS CREW
CT CREW
CHECK YA FACE!
PlanetBozrah is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 10:27 AM #12
Stealth47
Snake Charmer
 
Stealth47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: LI, New York
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetBozrah View Post

Btw she is a DOCTOR.... I think she knows the risks of second hand smoke
just to let you know doctors a while back said that weed can kill you...


But yea, i dont think it would be that big of a deal to have smokeing players go to the parkinglot. There were lots of kids around and we were pretty close to eachother table wise.
__________________
Blue/Chrome 08 Ego
Oilve 05 Shocker

Dark Riders D2 7man
Stealth47 is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 10:49 AM #13
PlanetBozrah
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Connecticut
PlanetBozrah owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
PlanetBozrah plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth47 View Post
just to let you know doctors a while back said that weed can kill you...
Now thats another argument....lol Is that allowed in the p lot? jkjk!
__________________
CHAOS CREW
CT CREW
CHECK YA FACE!
PlanetBozrah is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 10:52 AM #14
Logan_Dizzle
FEP family for life
 
Logan_Dizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NH
I'm surprised you aren't up in arms about the drinking that went on at the event.....I don't care about any of it but you should have told lori so she could make an announcement to kill it instantly. People are only human.

Not trying to discredit or argue with this but I know a guy who is a doctor too. He's a doctor of plants. You can have a doctrate in a lot of frivolious things. So anyone that posted saying dood she's a doctor listen. Would you listen to a plant doctor? Just saying.
__________________
FEP Family for Life
Capital Punishment 7 man
nice quest for sale!
Logan_Dizzle is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 11:03 AM #15
danbob1088
succisa virescit
 
danbob1088's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
 has been a member for 10 years
danbob1088 is a Paintball photographer
danbob1088 is an NCPA player
danbob1088 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan_Dizzle View Post
I'm surprised you aren't up in arms about the drinking that went on at the event.....I don't care about any of it but you should have told lori so she could make an announcement to kill it instantly. People are only human.

Not trying to discredit or argue with this but I know a guy who is a doctor too. He's a doctor of plants. You can have a doctrate in a lot of frivolious things. So anyone that posted saying dood she's a doctor listen. Would you listen to a plant doctor? Just saying.
Drinking around someone doesn't cause cancer or serious medical issues for that other person.
__________________

flickr
danbob1088 is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 11:06 AM #16
Stealth47
Snake Charmer
 
Stealth47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: LI, New York
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbob1088 View Post
Drinking around someone doesn't cause cancer or serious medical issues for that other person.
I agree with this. Having a drink or 2 is fine. It doesnt really affect people around you. And if you have no self control then matters will be taken and youll be escorted off.
__________________
Blue/Chrome 08 Ego
Oilve 05 Shocker

Dark Riders D2 7man
Stealth47 is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 11:37 AM #17
PBTriChick
Cougar
 
PBTriChick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Boston
PBTriChick owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
PBTriChick supports Bob Gurnsey
PBTriChick plays in the APPA beginner division
I have no issues with drinking.

My M.D. is from Yale, my undergrad from Brown, my premeds at Stanford and I did my residency in Family Medicine at Oregon Health Sciences University (OHSU). I am frequently on Fox, Fox News, CNN, ABC as a medical expert - not in plants, in humans. I teach medical students from BU and Tufts as well. All that to clarity that indeed I am an expert on this one. Second hand smoke, as indicated in the CONSENSUS statement I put in the first post IS A DANGER TO OTHERS.

If you want to smoke - fine just don't do it near me or my kids - have just a little bit of COURTESY.

really unbelievable that you are that narcissistic that you cannot curtail your smoking around others - particularly CHILDREN and asthmatics who can be immediately affected by it.
__________________
--Cat

Captain, Invert PimpMini Factory Team
pimpmini.com
'I shoot cubs'
PBTriChick is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 11:42 AM #18
Uncle Mike
 
 
Uncle Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Drinking!!! at an event. I've been playing NEPL's for twelve years and have never seen any drinking going on. It's against the rules!!!
Uncle Mike is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 11:55 AM #19
jerzyballer
 
 
jerzyballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
jerzyballer owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
jerzyballer supports Team VICIOUS
jerzyballer is for the Gunfight
wow tis thread is epic fail.....if someones smoking around and it bothers you...walk away...you cant hold people to the same values you have...thats insane..personally i smoke, just a couple a day but still smoke..if there is a kid around ill take it elsewhere...but if your a capible adult and you dont like it take a walk....and as far as something being posted as a rule and not being followed..well dont blame the violator, blame the authority for not enforcing policy...
jerzyballer is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 12:01 PM #20
Stealth47
Snake Charmer
 
Stealth47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: LI, New York
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBTriChick View Post
I have no issues with drinking.

My M.D. is from Yale, my undergrad from Brown, my premeds at Stanford and I did my residency in Family Medicine at Oregon Health Sciences University (OHSU). I am frequently on Fox, Fox News, CNN, ABC as a medical expert - not in plants, in humans. I teach medical students from BU and Tufts as well. All that to clarity that indeed I am an expert on this one. Second hand smoke, as indicated in the CONSENSUS statement I put in the first post IS A DANGER TO OTHERS.

If you want to smoke - fine just don't do it near me or my kids - have just a little bit of COURTESY.

really unbelievable that you are that narcissistic that you cannot curtail your smoking around others - particularly CHILDREN and asthmatics who can be immediately affected by it.

Were you a player? Or just at the event taking a look,or you knew someone playing.
__________________
Blue/Chrome 08 Ego
Oilve 05 Shocker

Dark Riders D2 7man
Stealth47 is offline  
Old 04-26-2010, 12:02 PM #21
fluffy86
 
 
fluffy86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, MA
It is a rule, however not strictly enforced. In past events I go to Lori throughout the day to make the announcement over the speakers of smoking in the parking lot, that helps.
__________________
Proudly Shooting for-
Shipyard Ale #86


Stampin' tickets to F&%K TOWN
fluffy86 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump