PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-26-2010, 12:45 PM #43
millsan1
fleh

has been a member for 10 years
millsan1 plays in the APPA D4 division
regardless of all of it. When a ref calls you out, you are out. I LOVE watching people look for the hits before they are willing to leave their bunker. Has anyone, except some Pros, ever talked a ref out of an elimination? Waste of time and energy, even if the ref IS wrong.

They call you out, just get out of your bunker and go to the deadbox. It happens all the time, good call or bad. Life goes on and there is always the next game, event or tourney.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-26-2010, 12:58 PM #44
biggums
Come at me bro

biggums plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTh_ReMuS View Post
Any Pics up yet
Give them time they will more than likely let you know when they are up. It takes time to get all the photos they took uploaded and edited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintball_Huh??? View Post
do uk wat photographers were there??
I saw Potter, JS Photo, and Unsigned for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKS01 View Post
Sorry but that is not true, just another magical rule that everyone claims is in the current rulebook, but has yet to be found. If a ref sees a paintball break on you, you are out whether or not a mark is left.
In the captains meeting they said for some reason they didn't have it in the rulebook this year but were still using it, and for as long as I have been playing it has always been a rule and am sure always will be.

Kids... if you really want to piss off your parents buy real estate in an imaginary place.
Facebook
Paintball Adventures Park-JS Photography-Unsigned Photos
biggums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:58 PM #45
Clutchman
Alfred De Los Santos

Clutchman is a Supporting Member
Clutchman is a Professional paintball player
Clutchman plays in the PSP
Clutchman plays in the APPA D1 division
I use my jedi powers to get refs to wipe me off
Old 04-26-2010, 01:34 PM #46
rrush89

rrush89 is an NCPA player
rrush89 plays in the APPA D5 division
The quarter rule is used when a referee sees paint on a player but did not observe the shot that broke on the player. If a ref sees a ball break off a player there does not have to be any paint. It is in the GPL rules under section 18.01 and reads as follows,
"If a Referee does not see a paintball shot by a live member of the opposing team or the player's own team strike that player or anything he or she is wearing or carrying, but that player or player's equipment is marked with paint, then such player will be eliminated. Generally, if the paint marking is reasonably solid and the size of a quarter or to be determined by a ref to be large enough, it will be considered a valid hit. If the referee witnesses the ball hit and break and leaves less than a quarter size it will be considered a valid hit."
rrush89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:35 PM #47
WKS01
Green to White Technology

WKS01 is a Supporting Member
WKS01 donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggums View Post
In the captains meeting they said for some reason they didn't have it in the rulebook this year but were still using it, and for as long as I have been playing it has always been a rule and am sure always will be.
For as long as I have played PSP it was not a rule. I believe NPPL had a rule about the size that must be left, but I am not 100% as I do not play that format. Although I cannot say what was said for this year, in the past 3-4 years of reffing GPL never was I informed that there needed to be a certain sized mark to be considered a valid hit, so long as I saw it break on a player. Perhaps Big E will clarify this rule so everyone is on the same page.
WKS01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:14 PM #48
MisfitBigE144
PB God -26yrs N' Counting

Annual Supporting Member
MisfitBigE144 plays in the PSP
MisfitBigE144 donated to help Peyton Trent
MisfitBigE144 supports Bob Gurnsey
MisfitBigE144 plays in the APPA D4 division
MisfitBigE144 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
MisfitBigE144 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
There are two sections to the rule book there is a hit and an elimination page. You can be hit to be eliminated, however there are many reasons to be eliminated. You can argue semantics all you want. However Sean aka WKSO1 has been one of my accomplished referees having refereed more than 4 years of GPL and PSP with me.

What people don't get it yes there is a Hit rule, but that is not the only way you become eliminated.

Rick Guyer my co-ultimate gave this analogy at the captains meeting and i hope everyone here understands. I am not going to make any sort of change to the way this call is made. Nothing has changed in my time as GPL/MAPL ultimate judge and the way a call is made.

If a referee sees a ball strike a player or that players equipment, and the impact causes the ball the crack and release paint REGARDLESS of whether it leaves a mark, you may be called eliminated.

The way Rick presented it at the captains meeting was this. If you as a player were battling another player, and they came way out off a bunker, so much so that I know that there is ZERO% possibility that spray is from a bunker and you watch you ball hit their hopper and flash off, regardless of whether the ball that impacted left a "quarter sized marker" on their hopper at the other end of the field, DO YOU EXPECT THE REFEREE TO PULL THAT PLAYER OUT?

DO YOU ON THE SIDELINES GET PISSED WHEN YOU SEE THE FLASH OF A HOPPER AND ALTHOUGH YOU MAY NOT BE CLOSE ENOUGH TO SEE THE SIZE OF THE MARK, YOU SAW THE IMPACT AND FOLLOWING SPRAY FROM THE HIT IN THE AIR AND A REF DOESN'T PULL THEM BECAUSE THEY MAY NOT HAVE SEEN IT OR WHEN THEY GET THERE, THERE IS NO PAINT AND THEY LET THEM STAY IN?

If you answered YES to either of the above questions. Then you have solved your own problem.

I will be the first to tell you that the biggest issue was ONE particular paint brand from the event. It was very hard. What was happening more than ANY time I have refereed in the last few years is the ball would often hit or skim off a pack or the top of a hopper or mask, and make the flash, but the ball would not fully open up as you would expect.

I am not going to make apologies for what people feel are phantom paint hits. Again, you answered yes to either of my questions then you have satisfied and validated the way the GPL/MAPL makes the call and will continue to make the calls.
Ultimate Judge EPL-NORTH & MID ATLANTIC 2014 & SMP 3Man EPL Feeder Series - www.eplseries.com
MisfitBigE144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:18 PM #49
MisfitBigE144

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrush89 View Post
18.01 and reads as follows,
"If the referee witnesses the ball hit and break and leaves less than a quarter size it will be considered a valid hit."
Thank you Mr. Rush :-)
Ultimate Judge EPL-NORTH & MID ATLANTIC 2014 & SMP 3Man EPL Feeder Series - www.eplseries.com
Old 04-26-2010, 02:37 PM #50
Droid Axiom
DC Devastation #88

Droid Axiom plays in the PSP
Droid Axiom owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Droid Axiom plays in the APPA D1 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTh_ReMuS View Post
Any Pics up yet
JamesDiana. got a couple shots in

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamesdi...7623925118602/

couple slick ones of me
Droid Axiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:43 PM #51
dj red dog

dj red dog plays in the APPA D4 division
Just a heads up the website and rules need to be updated regarding the rate of fire for 3/5 man.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:47 PM #52
millsan1
fleh

nice pics. Of course my snake guy gets the glory.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:49 PM #53
millsan1
fleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj red dog View Post
Just a heads up the website and rules need to be updated regarding the rate of fire for 3/5 man.

Actually, I do have one minor gripe about this weekend. There seemed to be a LOT of people shooting faster than 12, and no checks on that. It sounded to me like most people were up in the 15 range. We had ours set to 11, just to be sure we were OK.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:00 PM #54
MisfitBigE144

Annual Supporting Member
Trust me I was VERY busy with the ROF Timer. I only pulled 3 guns all weekend out of the 20 or so I personally checked for penalties. This did not include Bik who had his own and was helping train my new Admins

YOU DON'T want to be in the naughty chair! Players who had illegal guns had to sit with the admin until their penalty was served out on game time.

Yes. There was a miscommunication between myself and Cyndi regarding the Rate of Fire cap. My intention when looking over the rules this spring were to have the Semi Uncapped for 7 man only and CAPPED 12.5 for the 3 & 5 man to be in agreement with the PSP standards.

This was addressed on both days in the morning early and dealt with accordingly. I will take full blame for the mix up - however I will also take responsibility that we addressed it and fixed it.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:33 PM #55
bunkerdya

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsan1 View Post
nice pics. Of course my snake guy gets the glory.

of course snake guys get all the glory we do the hard work. lol
bunkerdya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:46 PM #56
biggums
Come at me bro

biggums plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by WKS01 View Post
For as long as I have played PSP it was not a rule. I believe NPPL had a rule about the size that must be left, but I am not 100% as I do not play that format. Although I cannot say what was said for this year, in the past 3-4 years of reffing GPL never was I informed that there needed to be a certain sized mark to be considered a valid hit, so long as I saw it break on a player. Perhaps Big E will clarify this rule so everyone is on the same page.
I was agreeing with what you said.

Kids... if you really want to piss off your parents buy real estate in an imaginary place.
Facebook
Paintball Adventures Park-JS Photography-Unsigned Photos
biggums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:52 PM #57
kk2112

kk2112 supports Cereal Killerz 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelawarePBguy View Post
If a paintball hits a player and "breaks" but leaves no mark they ref can pull that player.. That's not a bogus call.. its just the rules. Trust me you are not the only one in paintball it has ever happened.
actually the rule book sts
" If the referee witnesses the ball hit and break and leaves less than a quarter size it will be considered a valid hit."

so technically it has to leave some paint on you for it to be a valid hit where he saw it break.... but overall the ref did a good job at the event
kk2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:09 PM #58
DelawarePBguy
Right Coast Paintball

DelawarePBguy plays in the USPL
DelawarePBguy plays in the PSP
DelawarePBguy donated to help Peyton Trent
DelawarePBguy plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2112 View Post
actually the rule book sts
" If the referee witnesses the ball hit and break and leaves less than a quarter size it will be considered a valid hit."

so technically it has to leave some paint on you for it to be a valid hit where he saw it break.... but overall the ref did a good job at the event
No a mark is not needed... you obviously read nothing that Big E posted, did you..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBigE144 View Post
There are two sections to the rule book there is a hit and an elimination page. You can be hit to be eliminated, however there are many reasons to be eliminated. You can argue semantics all you want. However Sean aka WKSO1 has been one of my accomplished referees having refereed more than 4 years of GPL and PSP with me.

What people don't get it yes there is a Hit rule, but that is not the only way you become eliminated.

Rick Guyer my co-ultimate gave this analogy at the captains meeting and i hope everyone here understands. I am not going to make any sort of change to the way this call is made. Nothing has changed in my time as GPL/MAPL ultimate judge and the way a call is made.

If a referee sees a ball strike a player or that players equipment, and the impact causes the ball the crack and release paint REGARDLESS of whether it leaves a mark, you may be called eliminated.

The way Rick presented it at the captains meeting was this. If you as a player were battling another player, and they came way out off a bunker, so much so that I know that there is ZERO% possibility that spray is from a bunker and you watch you ball hit their hopper and flash off, regardless of whether the ball that impacted left a "quarter sized marker" on their hopper at the other end of the field, DO YOU EXPECT THE REFEREE TO PULL THAT PLAYER OUT?

DO YOU ON THE SIDELINES GET PISSED WHEN YOU SEE THE FLASH OF A HOPPER AND ALTHOUGH YOU MAY NOT BE CLOSE ENOUGH TO SEE THE SIZE OF THE MARK, YOU SAW THE IMPACT AND FOLLOWING SPRAY FROM THE HIT IN THE AIR AND A REF DOESN'T PULL THEM BECAUSE THEY MAY NOT HAVE SEEN IT OR WHEN THEY GET THERE, THERE IS NO PAINT AND THEY LET THEM STAY IN?

If you answered YES to either of the above questions. Then you have solved your own problem.

I will be the first to tell you that the biggest issue was ONE particular paint brand from the event. It was very hard. What was happening more than ANY time I have refereed in the last few years is the ball would often hit or skim off a pack or the top of a hopper or mask, and make the flash, but the ball would not fully open up as you would expect.

I am not going to make apologies for what people feel are phantom paint hits. Again, you answered yes to either of my questions then you have satisfied and validated the way the GPL/MAPL makes the call and will continue to make the calls.

Last edited by DelawarePBguy : 04-28-2010 at 02:12 PM.
DelawarePBguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:41 PM #59
dj red dog

dj red dog plays in the APPA D4 division
Remember MAPL uses "modified" rules.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:29 PM #60
kk2112

kk2112 supports Cereal Killerz 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelawarePBguy View Post
No a mark is not needed... you obviously read nothing that Big E posted, did you..
i see why some people are not happy with the reffng in the past it leaves alot of grey area and room to argue .... it should be simple no paint no hit or vice versa cause there won't be questions of reffing calls but hey its their rules and if you want to play their league you gotta go by their rules.... is that the MAPL rules or is this for PSP too??
kk2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:14 PM #61
MisfitBigE144

Annual Supporting Member
Those have been the PSP rules for the last several years and the GPL rules as well. The MAPL has adopted them for the RACE-TO format.

The only "grey area" I see is if somehow a team thinks a ref is purposefully trying to screw them over. I would hope that isn't the case. If it is I hope that people would know that they can see me IMMEDIATELY or one of the Administrators of the league.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:35 PM #62
filii
TWLOHA

Quote:
Those have been the PSP rules for the last several years and the GPL rules as well. The MAPL has adopted them for the RACE-TO format.

The only "grey area" I see is if somehow a team thinks a ref is purposefully trying to screw them over. I would hope that isn't the case. If it is I hope that people would know that they can see me IMMEDIATELY or one of the Administrators of the league.
100% truth

ASHES EgoX F/S

Penn State
filii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:48 PM #63
millsan1
fleh

Quote:

Always been my understanding. Just don't get shot and all is good.