PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 07:49 AM #1828
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire

madgoat has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I honestly can't believe what I just read about 2 qb's. Teams don't win the SB without a top qb. In fact, with the exception of the Ravens, Buccaneers, Redskins in 92, Giants in 91, Steelers in 05 and (arguably) Giants in 08, all SB winning teams(and generally also SB losing teams) since 1990 have had at least a borderline hall of famer at qb. Add in the fact that the rules have also been changing to favor effective PASSING qb's and I just don't see a movement away from a single dominant passing qb in the foreseeable future.

Last edited by madgoat : 08-28-2010 at 07:55 AM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-28-2010, 10:47 AM #1829
Fat_Joe
$OG$

Fat_Joe has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by licence_to_kill View Post
He is at blocking

I dont remember Alge Crumpler blocking for any 2000 yard backs.
Team Aircraft Carrier - Captain
Old 08-28-2010, 11:25 AM #1830
mr.cocalino
Always getting trolled...

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat View Post
I honestly can't believe what I just read about 2 qb's. Teams don't win the SB without a top qb. In fact, with the exception of the Ravens, Buccaneers, Redskins in 92, Giants in 91, Steelers in 05 and (arguably) Giants in 08, all SB winning teams(and generally also SB losing teams) since 1990 have had at least a borderline hall of famer at qb. Add in the fact that the rules have also been changing to favor effective PASSING qb's and I just don't see a movement away from a single dominant passing qb in the foreseeable future.

You just named six teams. Since 1991 there have been 19 Superbowls played. 6/19=31%. That is a significant number, not an exception.

And the Steelers in 05 isn't really arguable. Rothlisberger played one of the worst games in SB history and still won.

You can win without a dominant QB, it just requires a stellar defense which is harder to assemble than finding a dominant QB.

"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: When Mr. C does push-ups, he doesnt go up, the Earth goes down..."

"Originally posted by RamapoLax: And girls panties get soaked."
Old 08-28-2010, 01:16 PM #1831
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire

madgoat has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.cocalino View Post

You just named six teams. Since 1991 there have been 19 Superbowls played. 6/19=31%. That is a significant number, not an exception.

And the Steelers in 05 isn't really arguable. Rothlisberger played one of the worst games in SB history and still won.

You can win without a dominant QB, it just requires a stellar defense which is harder to assemble than finding a dominant QB.
Actually, I went back to 1990 so 20 years. And I didn't say roethlisberger was arguable I said eli manning was arguable. And there's something all the teams without a dominant qb had in common: dominant defenses. So 70% of sb winning teams in the past 20 years had a great qb, i'd say that is a pretty significant portion. Especially when we take into account ththat the only teams who won more than one in close sucession all had great qbs.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:36 PM #1832
mr.cocalino
Always getting trolled...

I agree, however the 30% that did it without an elite QB proves that you do not need a dominant QB.

You do need either a dominant defense or an elite QB, but I thought that went without saying. We tend to see cases of elite defenses almost every year.

I do agree that to stay dominant you need consistency. But its not having an elite QB that makes you win SB's in close sucession, it just so happens that its easier to maintain consistency when you only have to sign one player. It is much harder to keep an entire defense consistent and most of the time management won't commit enough money to the defense.

"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: When Mr. C does push-ups, he doesnt go up, the Earth goes down..."

"Originally posted by RamapoLax: And girls panties get soaked."
Old 08-28-2010, 04:40 PM #1833
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

licence_to_kill is reppin' sidebar 4 life
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill supports DLX Technology

"Most Ron Paul supporters are domestic terrorists and racist liberal nazis." - John Elway
Old 08-28-2010, 04:49 PM #1834
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_Joe View Post
Great question. Probably because Tony G has already broken most of his records, and he'll probably fall to the bottom portion of the top 5 by the time Gonzo and Gates retire.
Yeah, but records are always going to be broken. He was the first tight end to break the 10,000 yard barrier and changed the role of a tight end in the passing game. Eight Pro Bowls, All-Pro four times; I think he deserves it.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:04 PM #1835
hermeydm7

Quote:
Now I've seen some crack head theories, but this one tops them all so far. You mean to tell me two QBs who will go down with probably the #1 and #2 best winning %'s of all time, who are both entrenched in the record books are easy to prepare for? If its so easy to prepare for Peyton and the Colts, why is every year they go into December undefeated? Why are the Patriots one of the most difficult offenses to hold down? I mean, this is just asinine.
im just saying that you know exactly whats coming to you because you know how the style of play that they run. where as if you have 2 decent good qbs in specialized roles but the runner can pass when needed, its gonna be more confusing for the defense, make them prepare for more, and give them more choices when theyre trying to guess what you are going to do. this won't happen but let me give you an example. say the patriots some how picked up tim tebow. you got brady back there passing all over people and then tebow comes in to run option plays and runs. but when the defense starts to lock on to him running you switch it up and tebow throws it right over everybodys heads for a quick 6. then with brady you use him for all straight handoffs and then mix in play action like you normally do. dolphins can do the same thing with henne and pat white. hell the broncos could try with orton and tebow, but orton isn't that good to begin with

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat View Post
yeah but the flaw with that reasoning is those teams didn't even have 1 good qb. im talking about getting 2 above average guys, not necessarily hall of famers and have them run the show together.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:35 PM #1836
Fat_Joe
$OG$

Quote:

Devastating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellster View Post
Yeah, but records are always going to be broken. He was the first tight end to break the 10,000 yard barrier and changed the role of a tight end in the passing game. Eight Pro Bowls, All-Pro four times; I think he deserves it.

I'd credit Kellen Winslow with changing the position forever, Sharpe was just the next great one to come along. He's definitely top 2 or 3 right now, but I dont know if he's HOF worthy quite yet. He had an extremely impressive career, but I wonder sometimes if he gets more notoriety for being a great **** talker then anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermeydm7 View Post
im just saying that you know exactly whats coming to you because you know how the style of play that they run. where as if you have 2 decent good qbs in specialized roles but the runner can pass when needed, its gonna be more confusing for the defense, make them prepare for more, and give them more choices when theyre trying to guess what you are going to do. this won't happen but let me give you an example. say the patriots some how picked up tim tebow. you got brady back there passing all over people and then tebow comes in to run option plays and runs. but when the defense starts to lock on to him running you switch it up and tebow throws it right over everybodys heads for a quick 6. then with brady you use him for all straight handoffs and then mix in play action like you normally do. dolphins can do the same thing with henne and pat white. hell the broncos could try with orton and tebow, but orton isn't that good to begin with

yeah but the flaw with that reasoning is those teams didn't even have 1 good qb. im talking about getting 2 above average guys, not necessarily hall of famers and have them run the show together.

No you're right, you were definitely the first one to think this up. And due to the surplus of multifaceted QBs coming around, I dont see why your theory will fail.

dip****
Old 08-28-2010, 08:08 PM #1837
Ninja Mouse
SKRONG JAWLINES

Quote:
It would be better if it wasn't against a corner... of course the Chargers in general are just amazing any time a corner plays the run...

Team Aircraft Carrier
"Originally posted by PballPlayer™: I came home on my break to find this. I'm never going to say anything bad about the Saints again. Ninja is a god. It was bigger than I expected (twss) so I'm sure it was pricey, thanks Ninja, you are too kind."
Sauce
Old 08-28-2010, 08:11 PM #1838
Fat_Joe
$OG$

Champ woulda snuffed him...
Old 08-28-2010, 08:54 PM #1839
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah

Quote:

Life =/= Madden, you ****ing retard.

How well has Henne/White worked out for the Dolphins? Not very well, because running QB's kinda can't do **** in the NFL. Hence why he will probably end up released.
Hate the Cowboys? Show it here.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:58 PM #1840
rigatron (Banned)

rigatron owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Quote:
Champ woulda snuffed him...
for sure
Old 08-28-2010, 09:07 PM #1841
SleekMurder
I'm a spy

Quote:
omar comin yo
Old 08-28-2010, 10:01 PM #1842
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

licence_to_kill is reppin' sidebar 4 life
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleekMurder View Post
omar comin yo
oh ****!

"Most Ron Paul supporters are domestic terrorists and racist liberal nazis." - John Elway
Old 08-28-2010, 10:33 PM #1843
hermeydm7

Quote:
No you're right, you were definitely the first one to think this up. And due to the surplus of multifaceted QBs coming around, I dont see why your theory will fail.
talent levels are increasing and there are more good players around than any other time in the games history. there are a **** load of running qbs, and a decent percent of them can throw the ball at least half way well. mix them in with a good quarterback in the pocket and then use the runner in wildcat as well as some passing and a super offense will be formed

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_angus View Post
Life =/= Madden, you ****ing retard.

How well has Henne/White worked out for the Dolphins? Not very well, because running QB's kinda can't do **** in the NFL. Hence why he will probably end up released.
we've only seen white in limited roles so far, so you cant judge yet. and since when are running qbs not successful? mcnabb before he got old and vick before he went to jail tore up the league like no one else. same with culpepper in the 2 years or so that he was good. these guys revolutionized the position and have paved the way for running qbs in the future. we see more and more of them in college, and the best ones have already penetrated to the pros. its only a matter of time before enough running qb talent is around, and then nfl gms and coaches realize the benefits of having a duel quarter back system
Old 08-28-2010, 10:45 PM #1844
~ayomang~
livin the thug lyfe

Quote:
we've only seen white in limited roles so far, so you cant judge yet. and since when are running qbs not successful? mcnabb before he got old and vick before he went to jail tore up the league like no one else. same with culpepper in the 2 years or so that he was good. these guys revolutionized the position and have paved the way for running qbs in the future. we see more and more of them in college, and the best ones have already penetrated to the pros. its only a matter of time before enough running qb talent is around, and then nfl gms and coaches realize the benefits of having a duel quarter back system
Old 08-28-2010, 10:53 PM #1845
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah

Please god let you be a UNK-esque troll.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:15 PM #1846
hermeydm7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ayomang~ View Post
whats your problem? care to explain your problem with my argument rather than just bash me without even explaining?
Old 08-28-2010, 11:23 PM #1847
Ninja Mouse
SKRONG JAWLINES

Quote:
whats your problem? care to explain your problem with my argument rather than just bash me without even explaining?
For starters you don't know the difference between dual and duel, and the fact you think NFL teams would ever got a serious dual QB system is hilarious.

Team Aircraft Carrier
"Originally posted by PballPlayer™: I came home on my break to find this. I'm never going to say anything bad about the Saints again. Ninja is a god. It was bigger than I expected (twss) so I'm sure it was pricey, thanks Ninja, you are too kind."
Sauce
Old 08-28-2010, 11:24 PM #1848
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah

1. Nobody runs the option in the NFL.
2. Most running QB's can't throw worth a ****.
3. Who the **** would pay to have two quarterbacks like that when you can only have one on the field?
4. You're just a ****ing retard, and I don't think anybody is going to argue that, except for you, which just proves the point.
Closed Thread