PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-14-2010, 11:26 AM #1
CheeseSandwich
Based

Recommend me a book?

Okay so I need to get started on an independent book study for school, the only thing is I have no idea what to read. I like books that have twists or just make you think, thrillers are good too. I'm not a big reader so I'm not really sure what to read, I was thinking about 1984, since I've heard good things about it, but I thought I'd come here and get some feedback before I commit to doing a huge project on a novel. Oh and one more thing, it has to be done in 3 weeks, so I'd like to keep the book under 400 pages if that's possible. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:54 AM #2
Nalayah

Eye of the World by Robert Jordan can be read in that time, though it's a bit past 400 pages.

1978 Suzuki GS750
2000 Honda CBR 600 F4
Nalayah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:21 PM #3
Citizen X
Very Varenyam

Citizen X is a Forum Captain
1984 is a great read. There are points where it seems to get heavily bogged down in details, but I thought it to be still worth my time. It's also short and a breeze to read so the time frame shouldn't be an issue.

Are there no restrictions on which type of book you could choose? I wish the English teachers I had in high school were that lenient. Usually it was a 'pick one of three crappy books' scenario.

Rand's Anthem could also be an option (even though it's not exactly a novel), but many schools cover that themselves. Rather early too.
Citizen X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:35 PM #4
JFroese
Killing with a smile.

Alright, well I started reading 1984, it seems alright so far, a bit slow though. No real restrictions though, I'm still open to reading other books.

This is my other account, by the way.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:02 PM #5
Zepplify
NY Chaos

Zepplify owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalayah View Post
Eye of the World by Robert Jordan can be read in that time, though it's a bit past 400 pages.
Every statement he made regarding what he'd like to read makes Eye of the World a terrible choice. Not to say its a terrible book, it's very involved considering he claimed that he's not a very avid reader.

If you're in the vein of fantasy type stuff though you might want to pick up The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski. Its made up of disjointed short stories based on very twisted versions of fairy tales like Snow White and The Beauty and The Beast. You can really start from the begging and read it cover to cover or start in the middle and you lose nothing. ...Also Geralt de Rivia is bamf and if you're played The Witcher you'll already know who and what Geralt is.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:04 PM #6
ThatsWhatISaid

1984 is good. It's full of information that can be used to do a project with. It's just so unbelievably studied and picked apart that a project should be fairly easy. And it's a good book, so that's good too.
ThatsWhatISaid is offline   Reply With Quote