PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-25-2016, 11:46 PM #1
Baconpewpew
ROCK, FLAG AND EAGLE!

Electro to pump

Soo I just sold my Etek to buy the new hde urban, but...something in my head is telling me I want to go pump.
Is the learning curve from electro to pump big? Anyone recently make the switch? What's the hardest thing you had together used to?
I've always played 50% mech and 50% electro, but lately I've been using my mech more.
Advertisement
Old 06-26-2016, 12:37 AM #2
pball68
Da Bomb!

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
pball68 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
pball68 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
pball68 supports Ninja Paintball
pball68 supports Empire
You just need to realize you cant hold lanes and force your will on others. You are more of a scalpel than a cleaver. I love playing pump, just need to make those shots count a little more than you do playing with an electro
Old 06-26-2016, 07:05 AM #3
Super69ur
Silly Hats Only

Your paint budget just shrank.
Your fun and skill levels just grew.
Welcome to the dark side.

Look at your comment. Back to mine. Back to yours NOW BACK TO MINE. Sadly, it isn't mine. But if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate crap it could LOOK like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through the comments, finding the ones that your comment could look like. Back at mine, what is it? It's a highly effective counter-troll. Look again, MY COMMENT IS NOW DIAMONDS.
Super69ur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:59 AM #4
pball68
Da Bomb!

Annual Supporting Member
pball68 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super69ur View Post
Your paint budget just shrank.
One of the best perks.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:25 AM #5
Eudaemon87

At first you will get shot a lot more than you are used to. You will not be able to shoot your way out of a bad spot and you will need to move more than you did with an electro.

Once you get the hang of it, you will love it. I don't think I have played with my electro more than 2 or 3 times in the last 4 years.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:38 AM #6
Cauldronborn66

Cauldronborn66 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Cauldronborn66 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I don't think there's really a big learning curve. You realize right away that you don't have the firepower you're used to having. But on the flip side, it's nice having a lighter setup (assuming you actually carry less, which you should).

When I started playing with pistols and pumps I immediately got more aggressive on the field and moved a lot more. Yeah a lot of times, especially in the beginning I got shot out pretty quick. But I got better, and I had fun the whole time. So don't worry about that learning curve, just buy a pump and join the dark side.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:11 AM #7
pball68
Da Bomb!

Annual Supporting Member
pball68 supports Empire
I know when I run my pump, and so little weight to deal with, the game play makes up for the throwing of paint, well at least for me. So nice to have such a light setup running around on the field. Packs are in the past
Old 06-26-2016, 10:31 AM #8
xxanalog

I switched over last August, so I'm coming up on a year. I'd say if you are playing against electros you obviously don't have the fire power but communicating with your team mates really helps as well as moving a lot if your mirror or whatever doesn't see you make a move, in my experience I have one opportunity to get that shot on him before he realizes I'm in a different spot. PATIENCE is key.
xxanalog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 01:11 PM #9
pball68
Da Bomb!

Annual Supporting Member
pball68 supports Empire
Ya I find myself in a lot of closer battles because I want my one shot to count. I do realize you have more than one shot, but like discussed, that first shot is very important when playing pump
Old 06-26-2016, 08:42 PM #10
bobmcshooterton
Blunt Instrument

bobmcshooterton supports Ninja Paintball
Well one of the biggest challenges is the mental shock that your not very good. Pump will reveal any weakness. It will smear it in your face that you lack the skill to overcome. Because now you cannot win by chance or volume or blind luck. Each elimination is a purposeful intent to do damage rain fire on your opponents. It is physically demanding. And if you can get over that and commit to success not in spite of but because of the handicap and the way it now has shaped your game you too can be the little bit of piss in everyone's cheerios.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:13 PM #11
xxanalog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcshooterton View Post
Well one of the biggest challenges is the mental shock that your not very good. Pump will reveal any weakness. It will smear it in your face that you lack the skill to overcome. Because now you cannot win by chance or volume or blind luck. Each elimination is a purposeful intent to do damage rain fire on your opponents. It is physically demanding. And if you can get over that and commit to success not in spite of but because of the handicap and the way it now has shaped your game you too can be the little bit of piss in everyone's cheerios.
That last part just gave me some much needed motivation lol
xxanalog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:48 AM #12
Super69ur
Silly Hats Only

I love going into a game and people ask me; "Want to grab a faster gun?" Or "I have a semi I could downgrade to, if you want.."

I just smile, and say, "I'll be fine"
More often then not I'm smiling at the end too, at the giant yellow dot on the overconfident person's face. Haha!

Look at your comment. Back to mine. Back to yours NOW BACK TO MINE. Sadly, it isn't mine. But if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate crap it could LOOK like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through the comments, finding the ones that your comment could look like. Back at mine, what is it? It's a highly effective counter-troll. Look again, MY COMMENT IS NOW DIAMONDS.
Super69ur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:17 PM #13
yoder916
DIRTBAGS

yoder916 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
Took me about two years to become extremely comfortable with the transition to playing Pump. Currently I haven't touched a semi in about 6 years. I was playing semi tournaments for about 3 years until the transition so I can definitely speak from personal experience that playing pump has benefited my skills (Snap / PB IQ / Movement(s) ) and I believe that you become a better player because Pump is a slower format, with a higher learning curve, so I tended to learn something particular, and have a long time to implement the skills I was learning in different scenarios. playing semi felt extremely rushed to me, could just be me, but I feel like my skills advanced allot more while playing pump.And the best thing is Pump is a community, nothing really like it in this niche sport. its really a brotherhood between yourself and other pumpers.
yoder916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:12 PM #14
Baconpewpew
ROCK, FLAG AND EAGLE!

Sounds like a whole different experience. I do like the fact that everyone says that they feel their playing skill has increased and that it is a slower game. I did always feel like if I had to be in the front and had to shoot a box throughout the day when using my electro. When I use my mech, I feel a little more relaxed and focused.
I guess I should focus on what gun to buy and what parts I need and how not to break it. Sounds like everything else I will learn in time and I'll never look at an electro again.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:39 PM #15
pball68
Da Bomb!

Annual Supporting Member
pball68 supports Empire
I would not say you will never go back, but it is definitely 2 different play styles. Both are great and both have their good and bad. If you can own one of each, it is always fun to play both when the mood strikes you.
pball68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:03 PM #16
Mr Idiot Box
Rubber Duckies

Mr Idiot Box plays in the PSP
Mr Idiot Box owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Mr Idiot Box owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Electro's have there place. For me it's the speedball field unless you can find enough Pump players to take over the Xball field now that is a good time!

If you have basic paintball skills there really isn't a big learning curve especially with something with an Auto trigger. (hold the trigger down and pump away) You can throw ropes with some practice.

Tho most seasoned players use it very little, like for laneing off the break / bunkering and such. You wont feel as out gunned with it.

Pump will force you to work on your snap shot. If you are proficient in the One ball check in drill you will take to pump easily. It's just a matter of getting the mechanics down with the pump handle and learning how the marker shoots as with any new marker you pick up.

As you progress you will use less and less paint with more and more eliminations. Your loadout may change to lighter setups because you don't need the extra paint. You will start buying the best paint available and use less of it each time you play.

Pump brought the fun of rec ball back to me. The people have met threw pump paintball are like family. Some of the most respectful, honest players I have met shoot pumps. I feel the game was ment to be played this way and its great for old ballers to challenge themselves without destroying new players to the sport.

If you're looking for something new to challenge yourself Pump is a great way to do so.

Oh, and Yes Welcome to the Darkside

Last edited by Mr Idiot Box : 06-27-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Mr Idiot Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:49 PM #17
TheLonelyGoat

is there pump only fields?
TheLonelyGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:02 PM #18
aclark364
say no to wall hangers

aclark364 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aclark364 supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLonelyGoat View Post
is there pump only fields?
no. but some fields have pump only days/games

Ion/Gear for sale!/spyders
aclark364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:27 AM #19
Murz
2 FRAAMEEZZZ!!

plays in the NXL
Murz owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Murz has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Murz is attending Decay of Nations VII
Murz supports Ninja Paintball
And some fields have enough regular pump players to get pump only speedball on a regular basis.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:17 PM #20
XxHighCxX

Gear down to skill up
XxHighCxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:38 PM #21
pumpndump

pumpndump has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
pumpndump has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
i switched over from an electro to a stock class phantom in about 08-09. in that time, ive played electro maybe 5 times. when i do i poop on people, but pump play is just more fun, to me. you give yourself the disadvantage and you learn how to play a lot better. you do have the little period of "figuring out how to play", but once you do, you most likely wont look back unless you have to (tournaments, practice, etc...)

vsc phantom, palmers stabilizer
pumpndump is offline   Reply With Quote