Community Focus

Old 11-30-2013, 07:17 PM #1
red_subie
Merc

red_subie has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
red_subie has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
red_subie supports Empire
Question Trying to get more accuracy...

Played pump for the first time today! My Trilogy Pump is very inaccurate and inconsistent. So what regulators and barrel sizes do you recommend? Keep in mind my budget is very small.
red_subie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-30-2013, 07:30 PM #2
Oldandsneaky
Still My Pump Badge

Annual Supporting Member
Budget or not, I would get a freak barrel and a few mid size inserts based on your local paint size. You can use the barrel kit on lots of different markers besides your Trilly. I have a Dye Hyper 2 on one pump and a couple of CP's on my mech Autocockers and am happy with both. The Dye was $20 on Craigslist because it needed an o-ring and I may have paid $40 each on the CP's.

You people must be exhausted from watching me do all the work.

I can EXPLAIN it to you, but I can't UNDERSTAND it for you.
Oldandsneaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:58 PM #3
audub
Part audi, part vw...

I concur with Oldandsneaky, a barrel kit will do you good. Do that first and see if the groups tighten up. I have a couple of two-piece barrels in .682 and .685 that handle most of the paint I run into in all but the coldest of conditions. Again, try the barrel solution before dropping money on a reg, unless you have a spare laying around already.

Which model Trilogy? The sport model is sprung for ~850 psi input pressure, so most of the inline regs out there will not allow high enough system pressure. All other Trilogy models came with a reg from the factory, so you can add whatever reg you like and sweetspot for best results. The factory regs are adjustable, but it's a pain in the butt to do it. I've always had good performance from CP regs.

Why do all these guns shoot ropes and butter? What a mess.
audub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:11 PM #4
Oldandsneaky
Still My Pump Badge

Annual Supporting Member
Good point audub! I forgot to ask if you had a Sport. I kind of jumped to a conclusion about the reg because you asked about one. My mistake.

Also, if you're getting partial rollouts, the velocities will be all over the place too.

You people must be exhausted from watching me do all the work.

I can EXPLAIN it to you, but I can't UNDERSTAND it for you.
Oldandsneaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:13 PM #5
Scharfschutze91
I love Pump

BUt honestly, I would just go the barrel route and see if it helps. You don't want to dump money into the trilly. Just use it to learn and then upgrade. You can easily end up putting hundreds into it and not even get a fraction of it when you sell it.
Ezekiel 25:17. "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.".
Scharfschutze91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:17 PM #6
darth p
Hooah

Annual Supporting Member
darth p has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Try the new lurker two piece barrel

He is supposedly going to be making a kit available eventually. It's a 15 inch barrel and I think he's making shorter tips soon too.

I use the .678 on my lv1 and my pump and it's awesome. Super quiet and they have over a 9 inch control bore. Shoots very consistently.

Last edited by darth p : 11-30-2013 at 08:27 PM.
darth p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:23 PM #7
red_subie
Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by audub View Post
I concur with Oldandsneaky, a barrel kit will do you good. Do that first and see if the groups tighten up. I have a couple of two-piece barrels in .682 and .685 that handle most of the paint I run into in all but the coldest of conditions. Again, try the barrel solution before dropping money on a reg, unless you have a spare laying around already.
I will defiantly try the barrel option. I think I will try making my own barel kit out of CP two peice barrels (.679, .682, .685 backs).
Old 11-30-2013, 08:37 PM #8
audub
Part audi, part vw...

CP barrels are good kit, that's what I use. Look around the classifieds, you might be able to piece together what you want cheaper than buying new. Worked for me anyway. The beauty of your strategy is you can buy what you need in phases to help your budget. The same could be argued for a freak kit, but I think you'll end up spending more if you went that route.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:05 PM #9
Castro #66
Not a Moderator*

Annual Supporting Member
Castro #66 is a Supporting Member
Castro #66 is playing at Living Legends VII
Castro #66 supports Bob Gurnsey
Castro #66 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Castro #66 is Legendary
Castro #66 is attending Decay of Nations VII
Start with a barrel kit or tighter bore for sure. If that doesn't fix everything, but better paint.

When you get bored of shooting people in the face, mess with the springs and reg.

Castro #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:17 AM #10
Mr Idiot Box
Rubber Ducky Pump Squad

Mr Idiot Box plays in the PSP
Mr Idiot Box owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Mr Idiot Box owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Get better paint its the best cheapest upgrade. If none is available talk with your field owner about other options. Quality paint will make a world of a difference. A small bore barrel will help. I like Dye barrels I put them on everything.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:38 AM #11
Sherbet

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_subie View Post
Played pump for the first time today! My Trilogy Pump is very inaccurate and inconsistent.
Your paintballs are inaccurate

Quote:
So what regulators and barrel sizes do you recommend? Keep in mind my budget is very small.
$$$ <-- unfortunately, unless you limit paintball use to around 200 rounds/day

Paintball-to-barrel fit is the best way to improve accuracy and maximize propellant efficiency

Get a case of Anarchy and All Stars

And/or buy Evil and Marballizers at the store since if they arrive by mail they may be oily and slimy and difficult to work with and clean. I never had luck ordering Marballizers in the mail, I recommend just getting them at the store.

All Stars are easy to clean if any break in the bag. Just roll them out over a folded wash towel and roll them gently in a circle as a mass and use a different bag with twist-tie to keep them in.

What you want to do is find out what fits inside your barrel without rolling out

Find out what your barrel inner diameter is using online resources (typically .678"-.691") I think a stock Trilogy barrel is .687" but not 100% sure

Once you do find out what your barrel inner diameter is you can sift your paintballs over a bucket or wash towel with this:

http://palmer-pursuit.com/cart/paint...ate-p-992.html

Select the diameter that matches your barrel

Once again, $$$

The paintballs that fall through are too small. If they fall through once they are .001" smaller. Twice, they are .002" smaller or more (paintballs are oval so sometimes a good-sized one sits in the Sizer Plate about 2/3 times and sometimes they don't about 1/3 of the time).

If they ALWAYS sit on the holes they are all too big to put in your paintgun. You can try putting desiccant packs / orange peel in your paintball bag to "shrink" the paintballs down

If they ALWAYS fall through the holes they are too small and you should store the paintballs sealed in a cool dry place for 3-4 months if you want them to swell by .002", or 8 months if you want them to swell by .005". It isn't an exact science.

Use what sits in the sizer as your paintballs and store the rest until they swell to the right size

And enjoy a day of play without any paintball breaks in the barrel
Old 12-01-2013, 08:08 AM #12
audub
Part audi, part vw...

Better paint is good as long as it doesn't roll out. OP, go with your barrel plan. You don't need a ball size gauge, you can check ball size with your barrel backs. You probably won't need any bores bigger than .685 with paint sizing as small as it does in this region.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:25 PM #13
chadude100

chadude100 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
chadude100 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I ran a 685 ultralite on my trilly (but i live in the south and usually play with bigger paint) and it worked great. If you really want accuracy buy better paint i personally prefer empire paint (marblizer, premium, allstar, evil if you have money for it)
chadude100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:23 PM #14
David A.
Old Man 62

I have found two major factors to get good precision; shot to shot consistency <+/- 5fps and quality paint. Accuracy comes from a lot of practice and drills.

Now for the definitions.

Precision is the ability of the marker / paintball combo to deliver "ball on ball” groups. For that you need consistent velocity with comes from under-boring, a good regulator and a clean marker. Since you are on a budget, start with cleaning your marker, paying special attention to the lower tube and hammer, any debris or gunk will effect the velocity of your hammer striking your poppet causing inconsistent velocity. Next try better paint, next a barrel to under-boore finally a good regulator. Speaking of regulators, if you have a Ninja bottle, you have a pretty good regulator already built into your system. You can adjust it to 450psi (see Ninja’s website) and run a straight line to your valve-train, though you may need to spend 12 bucks on a spring kit.

Paint is more about precision than accuracy since it has to do with shot to shot consistency and ball flight. If the paint is oval or and oddly shaped, your velocity will be inconsistent due to different back pressure. This is where over-boring or under-boring allows for additional consistency...of course, with a pump, under-boring in your only choice. Additionally, small seams and weight consistency are better with higher quality paint. Finally, with a pump, you are doing a lot of one-balling, so you need paint that is less likely to bounce and is really visible, so you get that break and is hard to wipe on your fist hit.

Accuracy is the ability to hit what you are shooting at. Now you can not have great accuracy without some precision, but for the most part this is about good pointing, aim and a good trigger. This takes a lot of directed practice and paint. This is about your ability to point your marker in the right direction, compensate for ball flight (drop and wind) and tripping the trigger smoothly and predictively.

Now for the practicality of upgrades on your marker. Be sure you keep all you old parts as you upgrade your barrel and regulator and for gods sake, do not spend any Money of upgrades you can not take to your next marker, put that money in a jar to fund your next pump, which will be lighter, quieter, have a better pump-stroke and trigger.

Good luck!

My Markers:
Polished Black CCM T2, Dust Black CCM T2, Dust Black CCM Series 5 RF, Polished Black CCM Series 5, CCM Dust Black SS-25, Polished Black CCM Series 5, WGP Karnivor Sniper, CCM Polished Black Series 5, Black Bob Long MVP, Polished Silver Phantom VSC Under-Cocking, Dust Black Empire AXE

Last edited by David A. : 12-01-2013 at 04:35 PM. Reason: spelling..
David A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:22 PM #15
sniper88org

sniper88org has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
it's not only the barrel size it's all about your flow of action as well if you don't anchor in the same place all the time your shots will be different as well but if you practice on your friends that are running away you will get it in no time
sniper88org is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:38 PM #16
yoder916
DIRTBAGS

yoder916 plays in the PSP
You just need a barrel system that allows you to size your paint correctly... You can't become any more accurate with a certain regulator. I'd say invest in a nice barrel, some freak inserts, and your all set. Oh and don't skimp on paint, make sure; if you're concerned with the inconsistency and accuracy, your shooting high end paint.

Last edited by yoder916 : 09-08-2014 at 10:40 PM.
yoder916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:43 PM #17
Frank_W

Frank_W has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
If your budget is really tight, you could try the nail polish thing. If you're having problems with partial rollouts that should help. Three drops of nail polish to act as detents to keep the ball from rolling forward.
Frank_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:44 PM #18
red_subie
Merc

I made this thread almost a year ago. I don't know why it came back up, but anyways. I agree fresher paint is the way to go. I buy a case of redemption at the beginning of every month and over the past year I have noticed that each new case get oilier and oilier. Even thought that's the best paint they have it's beginning to shoot like mid-grade and even the low end stuff.

Pump Master Race

I <3 Subaru
Old 09-11-2014, 05:50 AM #19
D3AGL3_PBALLER
CN's Finest

has been a member for 10 years
D3AGL3_PBALLER posts videos on PbNation
D3AGL3_PBALLER has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
D3AGL3_PBALLER has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
D3AGL3_PBALLER has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I have had barrel kits but have found that as long as you are not getting roll outs most barrels shoot pretty much the same save for sound signature. As far as accuracy, consistency over the chrono is what's important unless your barrel is literally bent/damaged.