Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-10-2015, 08:51 PM #1
NOVA8264

Total Pump Noob question

About to put together the funds for a Empire Sniper for my first pump and in watching some videos on pump guns some guys are holding the handle forward while shooting. The only thing I gather is it's somehow affects the FPS. Can anyone explain the reason for this technique?
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2015, 09:38 PM #2
Milkstache

Milkstache is playing at Living Legends VIII
Milkstache supports Team VICIOUS
If the handle is not held in place some of the air pushes against the bolt which causes the velocity to be lower. If you hold the handle forward more of the air pressure goes toward pushing on the ball so the velocity is higher. People usually hold the handle so that they can get a higher velocity using less air vs when not holding the handle. This means more shots per tank. If you run a large 4500 tank it doesn't really matter but if you have 12grams or 13ci tanks you really want to maximize your shots per fill. It also makes the amount of time between your shots smaller since your hand moves less.

You could absolutely not hold the pump handle when you shoot and instead hold the regulator like an electro/mech. However, you would have to increase the regulator pressure/screw in the IVG more. You will also be a bit slower between your shots because your hand has to go back and forth.

I would recommend learning to aim while holding the handle. I also found it easier to shoot with my off hand when holding the handle vs the regulator.
Milkstache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:38 AM #3
Nahib_Stilgar

To add to this, a good field will make you crono safely with your hand holding the pump handle forward.

Therefore if you choose to not hold the pump while playing you would be putting yourself at a disadvantage with the resulting slight loss in velocity.
Nahib_Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:20 AM #4
Mr.Dirt

On the flip side, not holding the handle can usually results in a lower sound signature. But one should always chrono with the handle held forward.

WTB MQ Valve Urethane dot's
Mr.Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:02 PM #5
wc!
In periculo, nos jubete

wc! is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
wc! donated to help Peyton Trent
I hold the handle forward so I can be ready for my next shot, in case I happen miss with my first.
wc! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:04 PM #6
David A.
Old Man 62

All the advise so far is spot on! I have a bit more to add....

First Welcome to pump play and the Empire Sniper is a great choice for your first pump!

Some older pumps or older style pumps do not include a pump return spring, so in those cases, holding the handle forward is a requisite. Some (mostly older guys) remove their pump return springs because that is what they like and or are used to.

Then we get into Hit-man or no Hit-man lever: Your Empire Sniper gives you the option as it comes in the kit. I started with a Hit-man lever, it seemed an easier transition from an electro, as my hand position was more similar. My "pump gurus" are older and suggested I stop using it, so for me they now feel quite awkward and intrusive. On the other hand, my son who is a much better player than me uses a hit-man most of the time and is just now starting to move away from it.

No Hit-man: Holding the handle keeps you ready for the next shot. If you are moving your hand from the handle to the regulator and back, it will slow down your follow-up shots. Also you will no be able to take advantage of the auto-trigger when you need it. It also allows you to hold the handle back a bit, which takes a few FPS off, allowing you to make those "drop-shots" over a bunker.

Yes Hit-man: Your Empire Sniper also has the option of the "Hit-man" lever. If you choose to go that route, then more often than not, you will keep you hand on the regulator and just reach out with your index and middle fingers to re-cock between shots.

Which-ever way you choose, you can go back and forth and figure out what works best for you. Then as you gain some additional experience, I suggest you try it both ways again and see if your taste have changes.

Good luck!

My Markers:
CCM Series 6, CCM T2(x2), CCM Series 5 RF, CCM Series 5(x3), CCM SS-25 (x3), WGP Karnivor Mid-block Sniper, WGP Black Magic, WGP '03 Sniper, FreeFlow Lotus, CCI Phantom VSC Under-Cocking, Empire AXE, Series 5 Autococker
David A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:42 PM #7
Frank_W

Frank_W has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I agree with the theory that velocity suffers if you don't hold the pump handle, however in my personal experience I haven't noticed a difference. I don't remember if I've tried it with no return spring at all, but I've definitely tried it with pretty light return springs. The Empire Sniper most certainly would haven't any changes in velocity since its springs are pretty firm. Again, this is just from my personal experience, so take it for what it is...

I pretty much always shoot with my hand on the handle. It's not so much that I'm holding it forward, it's just where my hand is so that I can pump for the next shot. I started out playing pump and it's what I play 95% of the time, so for me it feels very unnatural to shoot a semi because there's no pump handle to hold.
Frank_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:42 PM #8
Garminguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_W View Post
I agree with the theory that velocity suffers if you don't hold the pump handle, however in my personal experience I haven't noticed a difference. I don't remember if I've tried it with no return spring at all, but I've definitely tried it with pretty light return springs. The Empire Sniper most certainly would haven't any changes in velocity since its springs are pretty firm. Again, this is just from my personal experience, so take it for what it is...

I pretty much always shoot with my hand on the handle. It's not so much that I'm holding it forward, it's just where my hand is so that I can pump for the next shot. I started out playing pump and it's what I play 95% of the time, so for me it feels very unnatural to shoot a semi because there's no pump handle to hold.
I find not only my Sniper, but my CCM S6.5 and CCM T2 all three will lose about the exact same amount of velocity when the pump handle is not held forward.
It is usually in the range of 20-25 FPS>
Garminguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:45 PM #9
NOVA8264

Thanks for all the info guys, looking forward to the experience.
Old Today, 05:05 PM #10
Ftbllstr25
Lets Boke some Smowls

Ftbllstr25 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Ftbllstr25 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Ftbllstr25 supports Empire
dont get an empire sniper, they lose their value and they break all the time. Get a STO for your beginner gun or a Black Magic with come CCM parts then work your way up from there.
Ftbllstr25 is offline   Reply With Quote