Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-08-2010, 06:18 PM #1
brassmonkey267

Car Dealers license Auctions

Has anyone got their dealers license in order to go to a dealers licensed only auction?

My friend was saying its by far the cheapest way to go about buying a car, cause I was asking him if he wanted to go to a repossessed car auction. After some research it does seem like a good way to go, but can anyone give me an example of how cheap I could find used cars, say compared to KBB, by going to these special auctions? I just want to know if it really is worth the hassle of getting my license ( I hear its really easy to get ) and then find one of these auctions around me.

I don't know a whole lot about this, feel free to inform me
brassmonkey267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2010, 06:25 PM #2
ZeR0 EVOlution
.2Ω dual coil, son

ZeR0 EVOlution is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
ZeR0 EVOlution is reppin' sidebar 4 life
It's not that easy. I have my dealer license, but you need to register with a dealership as a dealer for that company to be allowed to get into the auction. We have a couple around here that I frequent: the Southern California auction which sells pretty much any cheap car (Fords, Chevys, Hondas, Acuras, etc.) and then the Highline auction which handles everything else (Bimmers, Audis, Mercedes, Lambos, Aston Martins, etc.).

Steps to take: get your vehicle salesperson license which (I believe) requires you to take a test as far as I know, but when I got it a few years back it was just an application process. Then once you get your license, find a dealership that's willing to list you under their name (meaning you're going to be working for them). Then go to the auction committee and register yourself (I think it's like $100 or something), they send you your Auction Access card, and then you're good to go.

Basically, when I bought my Mini it was worth $18k KBB, but I picked it up for $13.5k. My dad has an 06 SL500 that he got for $24k with like 20k miles on the clock, and it's worth around $32k KBB. My mom has an 06 528i they picked up in 07 with like 5k miles on it for like $30k back then (it was KBB'd at $45k). It's a pretty awesome thing, but you have to pay off the car cash up front, and because you're picking it up as a dealer, the car isn't registered or anything so you cant drive it home without dealer plates. Furthermore, you have to go about registering the car with the DMV (which costs an additional $2-3k) and getting it smogged/serviced. There are a lot of holes to jump through, it's not that simple.

If you just want a cheap car, there are easier ways to get them. I wouldn't recommend it.
46/0/0

C'est une grande habileté que de savoir cacher son habilité.
ZeR0 EVOlution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:38 PM #3
Alan777
Tree Fitty

Just go with someone that has a license. My uncle has one and my other uncle/dad go there all the time to look at cars.

getting one yourself isn't worth it to buy one car
1994 BMW 325is
2013 Subaru Impreza Sport
Alan777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:38 PM #4
brassmonkey267

Ah, so what I'm gettin is that it's focused more on recent cars, within the past 5 years of current for example? I read that on one website. I wouldn't be able to find a truck for ~25% lower than KBB which would put it in the 5-6k range? Haha yea it does seem like a lot of work to find a vehicle for ~5-6k, especially when i don't know a single person that works at a dealership that I could sign with. I may be better off at a repo. car auction.

If i was lookin to spend 20k+ on a car than I think it would definitely be worth it, it seems crazy to me how much cheaper they sell at wholesale dealer auctions but I guess it has to be that way.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:41 PM #5
Featherlite 07
straight cash homie

Featherlite 07 is playing at Living Legends III
Featherlite 07 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
I don't believe you have to work at a dealer or know someone that does in order to get the license.

2010 Audi S4
2006 BMW M5 (Sold)
ST:A - We pass school busses at 140

"That is the unmistakable low rumble of a turbocharged flat 4, which signals the imminent arrival of a moron." -J. Clarkson
Featherlite 07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:41 PM #6
Alan777
Tree Fitty

Not always, when i was lookin at A4's my uncle said a few 99-00's came in.
1994 BMW 325is
Old 04-08-2010, 06:52 PM #7
ZeR0 EVOlution
.2Ω dual coil, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan777 View Post
Just go with someone that has a license. My uncle has one and my other uncle/dad go there all the time to look at cars.

getting one yourself isn't worth it to buy one car
Down here, they won't let you in without a card. If you're found inside the auction without an Auctioneer Number, you'll be arrested for trespassing and charged to the full extent of the law. They don't **** around at these things because there are hundreds of millions of dollars worth of cars (around 20k cars per auction). They take it really seriously.
46/0/0

Old 04-08-2010, 06:53 PM #8
Alan777
Tree Fitty

You're allowed to bring one guest up here.
1994 BMW 325is
Old 04-08-2010, 06:54 PM #9
ZeR0 EVOlution
.2Ω dual coil, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherlite 07 View Post
I don't believe you have to work at a dealer or know someone that does in order to get the license.
I go to dealer specific auctions. I'm sure there are other auctions you can go to, but the ones I go to are legit. Any car you can think of from 2000-present day is there.
46/0/0

Old 04-08-2010, 06:57 PM #10
Gazz
tempted owes me a harley

Gazz is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeR0 EVOlution View Post
I go to dealer specific auctions. I'm sure there are other auctions you can go to, but the ones I go to are legit. Any car you can think of from 2000-present day is there.
2009 aston martin one-77?
Gazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:00 PM #11
Featherlite 07
straight cash homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeR0 EVOlution View Post
I am talking about dealer specific auctions. You just need to get the license from the state. Say you want to sell cars online, and bam, license.

Warning - this may piss off actual dealers.

2010 Audi S4
2006 BMW M5 (Sold)

"That is the unmistakable low rumble of a turbocharged flat 4, which signals the imminent arrival of a moron." -J. Clarkson
Old 04-08-2010, 07:04 PM #12
ZeR0 EVOlution
.2Ω dual coil, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
2009 aston martin one-77?
Nothing that rare, but I've seen a few DBS's, a ton of Murcies, Ford GTs, Porsche GT3 RS's... Pretty much everything that's not a one of xxx car is there.

And it's really simple to get the actual license, the hard part is getting the Auction Access card which requires you to be registered with a dealership.
46/0/0

Old 04-08-2010, 07:06 PM #13
Featherlite 07
straight cash homie

hmm, I wonder how much you could get like an 07 tahoe for at the auction.

2010 Audi S4
2006 BMW M5 (Sold)

Old 04-08-2010, 07:09 PM #14
Got_Hemi44

Quote:
It depends on what level license you're trying to get and what auction you're trying to attend. It's not sign a few papers and you get it.
Got_Hemi44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:27 PM #15
ZeR0 EVOlution
.2Ω dual coil, son

Quote:
hmm, I wonder how much you could get like an 07 tahoe for at the auction.
Pretty cheap. The general rule of thumb is look at the KBB value, and then take off an average of $8k for the car. I remember when the GTR first came out, they were selling at the auction for like $70k and people were walking out the door selling them for $85k.
46/0/0

Old 04-08-2010, 07:28 PM #16
Featherlite 07
straight cash homie

I would love to get one in late 2011. Need 4wd for winter. Hopefully they will be cheap by then, and since my friend has the license, perhaps I could get it for a steal.

2010 Audi S4
2006 BMW M5 (Sold)

Old 04-08-2010, 07:48 PM #17
Headbanger
BANG YOUR HEAD!!!

Headbanger plays in the APPA beginner division
I was talking to my boss (I work at a dealer) and he said those auctions are crazy. He actually got hit by a truck because a guy wasn't paying attention. He also said that they just send the cars in a line and its 'in front' for about 10-30 seconds then the next one comes. So if you do somehow get in you do have to act fast.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:01 PM #18
damico

damico is a Supporting Member
damico plays in the PSP
damico owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
damico plays in the APPA D4 division
my buddy has a dealer auction and i've been to them a couple of times. Headbanger is right now, the cars are only on the block for about a 30 seconds. The auction I go to has around 2500 cars on a given day with 14 lanes of cars going. A lot of the cars are beat up; you really have to know what your doing to get a good deal and/or make money. I was looking at getting my own license but you need a good chunk of change to get one. I know for illinois, you have to have a $20k security bond with an annual fee of $10k i believe. You have to pay for the cars in cash.
damico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:30 PM #19
eddiemac69
a1 baller

Being registered with a dealership isn't the only way well not around here anyway you can get it as a salvage yard, but going through all the hassle of getting a dealers license just to buy yourself a car I don't see the point. I did pick up my truck for 4,400$ after auction buy fees it's a 2001 f-350 drw 4-door. Didn't KBB it.
You gas up the marker, put on the gloves, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field.. it doesn't matter that you failed a test, that your girlfriend broke up with you last nite, or that you got a ticket on the way there... your world is right for the next couple
hours, this is your heaven on earth...live it...love it...Paintball 4 life.."
DARK IR3 BRING OTHER ANGELShttp://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...2#post61848172
I want older angels. Got one pm me
eddiemac69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:49 PM #20
ReDNeCk98
Chillin breh

My dad works at a dealership a small one and Ford over the winter cause of the economy wouldn't give them brand new cars so his boss went to the auction like once or twice a week and gets them at good prices and around 10 to 20k mileage.
ReDNeCk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:40 PM #21
brassmonkey267

Hm turns out my friends dad does have his license, I may be able to go with him in the near future if its allowed. He apparently goes to an auction Jay Leno goes to and knows him on a first name basis, but that's most likely BS.

But an 2001 F350 for 4.4. After fees is a hell of a deal. I can't believe I've never heard of these dealer auctions before...

How does a repossessed vehicle auction held by the state compare to KBB if anyone happens to know? I realize its a much wider range and year of car you'll find but it could be fun