PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-06-2010, 07:45 PM #1
huh101

huh101 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
huh101 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I think i found my next car guys. lmk what you think.

http://hartford.craigslist.org/ctd/1666577657.html

2003 gti. 98k miles on it. i4 1.8t 5 speed.

comes with a cold air intake

maybe id add a dump valve... any other suggestions?

and anyone know how these babies hold up? i mean its a vw so parts are a bit pricey. but are the high costs few and far between? or every other day?

huh101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2010, 07:49 PM #2
ZeR0 EVOlution
Sub-Ω

ZeR0 EVOlution is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
ZeR0 EVOlution is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Bit of advice, all German cars are finicky and a bastard to deal with. One of my friend's MKIV's water pumps went out on him, another one's MKIII's fuel pump died, and my friends practically brand new MKV decided that it didn't want to be turbocharged anymore so the turbo went out. But when they run, they're amazing. If you have money to spend maintaining it, go for it. If not, I'd look elsewhere.
46/0/0

C'est une grande habileté que de savoir cacher son habilité.
ZeR0 EVOlution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:50 PM #3
huh101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeR0 EVOlution View Post
Bit of advice, all German cars are finicky and a bastard to deal with. One of my friend's MKIV's water pumps went out on him, another one's MKIII's fuel pump died, and my friends practically brand new MKV decided that it didn't want to be turbocharged anymore so the turbo went out. But when they run, they're amazing. If you have money to spend maintaining it, go for it. If not, I'd look elsewhere.
well i mean im going to go drive it tomorrow. so if it feels nice after 7 years. it should be past those problems. correct?

edit: also looked into reviews on these. and outside of a few people complaining about replacing clutches and people with automatics have problems with transmissions. they seem to hold up pretty nicely.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:51 PM #4
-.N.M.E.-
I hate naggers.

-.N.M.E.- helped look for balloons
-.N.M.E.- supports Team VICIOUS
-.N.M.E.- is for the Gunfight
I've heard the same as ^ about german cars... If you take the time to maintain them they'll run great, but if you decide to slack or don't know that much about cars, I'd possibly get something else. Not that GTi's are bad cars, they're just a ***** to maintain.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:57 PM #5
ZJRicky
sup

The stock pump's on those suck, the impeller's are plastic.
ZJRicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:58 PM #6
I paintballs you

I paintballs you is playing at Living Legends III
I paintballs you supports Team VICIOUS
I paintballs you supports Sherwood Forest
I paintballs you supports Pev's Paintball
I dunno man I mean my passat has been a champ and it has 135k on it still goin strong with no problems.
I paintballs you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:02 PM #7
huh101

Quote:
Originally Posted by -.N.M.E.- View Post
I've heard the same as ^ about german cars... If you take the time to maintain them they'll run great, but if you decide to slack or don't know that much about cars, I'd possibly get something else. Not that GTi's are bad cars, they're just a ***** to maintain.
i had a saab. my dad has had 3 volvos. i change my oil regularly (about every 3000 miles) with castrol synthetic along with my filters. i change my tires every 45000 miles (rotating with every/every other oil change) do my own breaks when i feel them start to grind a little. do my own tranny flushes when i feel it start to slip. I keep up on all my replacements.

i think i should be good?

Old 04-06-2010, 08:07 PM #8
ZeR0 EVOlution
Sub-Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by I paintballs you View Post
I dunno man I mean my passat has been a champ and it has 135k on it still goin strong with no problems.
Yeah, but how many people realistically beat on a Passat AND use it as a daily driver? The guy already put a cold air intake on this GTI, so that means he obviously did it because he was driving the GTI like race car. I don't know anyone who doesn't know anything about cars and decides to put a CAI on their whip for "efficiency" or whatever. It's always those little racer kids that do it.
46/0/0

Old 04-06-2010, 08:12 PM #9
CmaN3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeR0 EVOlution View Post
Yeah, but how many people realistically beat on a Passat AND use it as a daily driver? The guy already put a cold air intake on this GTI, so that means he obviously did it because he was driving the GTI like race car. I don't know anyone who doesn't know anything about cars and decides to put a CAI on their whip for "efficiency" or whatever. It's always those little racer kids that do it.
Actually, I know someone who did it on his corvette for "efficiency. Keep in mind though, he bought one of those tornado twisters off of ebay, becuase they "spin the air just like a turbo does". Then went on to tell us how much of a difference it made power wise. Hes a ginormous tool if you couldnt tell.

In my experience, VWs are about 50/50. Half of them are awesome and last forever, the other half break down constantly. Most of this experience though is secondhand, and I will say that the half that break down constantly probably dont get regular maitenance.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:16 PM #10
huh101

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmaN3 View Post
Actually, I know someone who did it on his corvette for "efficiency. Keep in mind though, he bought one of those tornado twisters off of ebay, becuase they "spin the air just like a turbo does". Then went on to tell us how much of a difference it made power wise. Hes a ginormous tool if you couldnt tell.

In my experience, VWs are about 50/50. Half of them are awesome and last forever, the other half break down constantly. Most of this experience though is secondhand, and I will say that the half that break down constantly probably dont get regular maitenance.
yeah exactly. that the same problem my dad had on his volvo. i got my saab back and running today btw! woohoo! possible video if anyone wants it?

Old 04-06-2010, 08:32 PM #11
ForgottenSoup
NO CHICKEN IN THIS SOUP

I had a Mustang last well into 180,000 mile before I decided to rebuild the engine(still ran great)

Had a Chevy Lumina that lasted almost to 230,000 miles and still drove great when I sold it.

Had a Civic that lasted to 190,000 mile when I sold it.

I'm going to assume that if I owned a GTI I'd at least get it to 190,000 miles. I'm not a fan of reliability based on brand bull**** so I say that if you just take care of it then you'll be fine.

I ain't got no mo' fun cars
ForgottenSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:35 PM #12
CoBrA2K3
Bowtie

Holy **** people. All German cars are finicky, pain in the *** to work on, aren't reliable..blah blah blah. All a bunch of ****.

If you have any amount of brains in your head you will be fine. The majority of the people that complain about the car's are the people that are too ****ing stupid to own the car to begin with.

Ive had up to this date: 4 volkwswagens from when i started driving in 05. 94 jetta turbo diesel, 2000 jetta tdi, 03 golf tdi, and now a 96 gls 2.0 . All of which have never given me any trouble besides regular maintenance and/or wear and tear items. Take care of the car and you will be fine. Go check it out for yourself, if you like it buy it. Don't let a bunch of idiots on a bandwagon sway your decision.
CoBrA2K3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:40 PM #13
mossdabomb
Its Aggafagnaificent!

mossdabomb is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBrA2K3 View Post
Holy **** people. All German cars are finicky, pain in the *** to work on, aren't reliable..blah blah blah. All a bunch of ****.
Don't let a bunch of idiots on a bandwagon sway your decision.
I own 3 bmws currently...... and they are finicky.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:42 PM #14
CoBrA2K3
Bowtie

The only thing ive ever had that i considered finicky is setting the timing belt on the diesel vw's. Other then that i have no issues. Bmw's however may be different, so to rephrase. All the German car's i have owned have treated me well and not been a pain in the ***.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:44 PM #15
mossdabomb
Its Aggafagnaificent!

mossdabomb is a Supporting Member
VW suspension systems are finicky.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:51 PM #16
CoBrA2K3
Bowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossdabomb View Post
VW suspension systems are finicky.
Havent had any issues with mine other then replacing a front wheel bearing on my 96. Shrug. To each their own.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:58 PM #17
Alan777
Tree Fitty

You don't need to excel in car mechanics to properly maintain a european vehicle.

Keep fresh oil in em, make sure fluids are topped off. other than that, they have similar maintinence to other vehicles. Timingbelts+water pumps, etc

edit: as far as that car goes, it should have had the timing belt replaced ~20k miles ago, and K03/K03s's are kind of unpredictable as far as how long they'll last. I've seen them blow at 60k, and I've seen stock turbo's still going strong at 150k. Sludge is a big issue on 1.8T's as well, so synthetic oil is mandatory.
1994 BMW 325is
2013 Subaru Impreza Sport

Last edited by Alan777 : 04-06-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Alan777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:05 PM #18
Young_Grasshopper
BMW ///M POWER

Young_Grasshopper is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:

If you have any amount of brains in your head you will be fine. The majority of the people that complain about the car's are the people that are too ****ing stupid to own the car to begin with.

Ive had up to this date: 4 volkwswagens from when i started driving in 05. 94 jetta turbo diesel, 2000 jetta tdi, 03 golf tdi, and now a 96 gls 2.0 . All of which have never given me any trouble besides regular maintenance and/or wear and tear items. Take care of the car and you will be fine. Go check it out for yourself, if you like it buy it. Don't let a bunch of idiots on a bandwagon sway your decision.
the TDI and the 2.0 8V are probably the most reliable engines VW has ever made which probably explains why you haven't had any problems, but Mk4 VWs are known for problems like window regulators, sunroof drains, intermittent door lock problems, coil packs, timing belts going early, and the infamous creaks and rattles.

To the OP, if you want a nice reliable car, I'd get a 03-04 TDI or 2.0. Neither of them are very exciting to drive, but probably the most reliable cars on the market if taken care of properly and they have more "soul" than a Honda/Kia/Hyundia. If you're hellbent on getting a 1.8t or VR6 engined car (and I wouldn't blame you, they're fun little cars), understand that it can and likely will give you a number of problems.
Young_Grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:28 PM #19
huh101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_Grasshopper View Post
the TDI and the 2.0 8V are probably the most reliable engines VW has ever made which probably explains why you haven't had any problems, but Mk4 VWs are known for problems like window regulators, sunroof drains, intermittent door lock problems, coil packs, timing belts going early, and the infamous creaks and rattles.

To the OP, if you want a nice reliable car, I'd get a 03-04 TDI or 2.0. Neither of them are very exciting to drive, but probably the most reliable cars on the market if taken care of properly and they have more "soul" than a Honda/Kia/Hyundia. If you're hellbent on getting a 1.8t or VR6 engined car (and I wouldn't blame you, they're fun little cars), understand that it can and likely will give you a number of problems.
this is confusing as ****... theres ive always been in the thinking of if i take good care of my cars and replace stuff when it needs replacing then id be good... its not like id go out and race every day... i just want a dd that i can have more fun with then others. all the reviews ive read on this car are good and not many people complain about anything...

Old 04-06-2010, 09:29 PM #20
ZeR0 EVOlution
Sub-Ω

Quote:

I've owned two Mercedes, a Mini S, and a E90 328i. German cars ARE finicky, even with regular maintenance. And considering I'm an Audi/VW/Lambo/Porsche nut swinger, why would I talk **** about the companies I love?
46/0/0

Old 04-06-2010, 09:32 PM #21
Young_Grasshopper
BMW ///M POWER

Young_Grasshopper is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by huh101 View Post
this is confusing as ****... theres ive always been in the thinking of if i take good care of my cars and replace stuff when it needs replacing then id be good... its not like id go out and race every day... i just want a dd that i can have more fun with then others. all the reviews ive read on this car are good and not many people complain about anything...
German cars are known for unscheduled maintenance
Young_Grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote