Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-06-2010, 02:44 PM #1
ahagen

Spooler Firing Mechanism

I am working on a build for firing of a projectile using a spool-valve method. I understand that the Dye Matrix is a spooler marker, and was looking for anyone that could help me make sure I was correct on how a spooler works. I have read up on them and checked diagrams, and the way I understand it is a solenoid builds up high pressure infront of a bolt/firing pin assembly. This "cocks it all the way to the back of the chamber. When the solenoid is switched, the high pressure switches to the back of the bolt/firing pin assembly, pushing it forward. when this passes a certain point, the chamber directly behind the paintball is opened to a separate chamber that has had high pressure building behind it the entire time. When that happens, the high pressure is released, firing the paintball.
Several questions:
The solenoid manifold is simply a way to route the high and low pressure into the necessary chambers, correct?
The high pressure comes from the CO2 canister (or whatever gas is being used), correct? And if so, does this high pressure route into the solenoid and the separate chamber that holds the pressure to fire the ball?
ahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2010, 03:14 PM #2
wesr

you are somewhat correct.
with the matrix, there are 2 regulators
the low pressure regulator is responsible for supplying the air used to to cycle the bolt (push it forward and backward)
the low pressure air is the only air that passes through the solenoid
the high pressure regulator is responsible for supplying the low pressure regulator and the firing chamber

the way the matrix works is when the bolt has been cycled forward to shoot. the tail orings seal off the high pressure chamber that projects the ball so that no air is wasted, then when it returns to the "cocked" position the chamber refills
im sure if i missed something someone else will fill in the rest
wesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:01 PM #3
speedy2k4
BSH University

speedy2k4 is a Supporting Member

Taken from zdspb.com, lots of other animations on there. But yeah, LP air is routed through the solenoid valve and moves the bolt back and forth, HP air fills the shot chamber and is released when the bolt is moved forward.

Not sure exactly what you are using this for, but you may want to consider an unbalanced/blow forward design where the solenoid is responsible only for holding the bolt in the rear position, and the HP air in the dump chamber is what propels the bolt forward.
speedy2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote