Community Focus

Old 04-04-2010, 07:23 AM #1
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah

cryptic.paintball is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
cryptic.paintball is Legendary
cryptic.paintball is Boss
Easter Debate

The bible teaches that jesus was dead for 3 days and nights. But if he dies on the evening of good Friday, when the sun set, and arose the morning of easter Sunday this does not equal 3 days at all.

Does this not dismiss him since he does not fulfill the prophecy of Jonah(off the top of my head I think that was who it was)?
cryptic.paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2010, 07:33 AM #2
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire

madgoat has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic.paintball View Post
The bible teaches that jesus was dead for 3 days and nights. But if he dies on the evening of good Friday, when the sun set, and arose the morning of easter Sunday this does not equal 3 days at all.

Does this not dismiss him since he does not fulfill the prophecy of Jonah(off the top of my head I think that was who it was)?
easter monday?
Old 04-04-2010, 07:37 AM #3
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

No. We think of days as 24 hour periods, but that's relatively new. Back then it was thought of differently, like day one: He died, day two: still dead, day three: dead, then alive - so three days.
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:40 AM #4
Fedo
Who Has More Fun?

Fedo owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Fedo is an NCPA player
Fedo plays in the APPA D5 division
That is correct. The prophecy's context is that he will die the first day, he will descend into hell and release all the waiting souls and open the gates of heaven, and on the third day he will rise from the dead and bring himself to glory after finishing his work on earth.

Just a a save my butt here, this is out of context and not a word for word from the prophecy.

Fedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:43 AM #5
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah

cryptic.paintball is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
cryptic.paintball is Legendary
cryptic.paintball is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijil View Post
No. We think of days as 24 hour periods, but that's relatively new. Back then it was thought of differently, like day one: He died, day two: still dead, day three: dead, then alive - so three days.
no, no, no

3 days and 3 nights is pretty clear and even 2,000 years ago the concept was pretty well known
cryptic.paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:13 AM #6
ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη

ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη helped look for balloons
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijil View Post
Even if that is true, how do we know when he died? On the exact day? Because we already managed to screw the day of his birth badly enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedo View Post
That is correct. The prophecy's context is that he will die the first day, he will descend into hell and release all the waiting souls and open the gates of heaven, and on the third day he will rise from the dead and bring himself to glory after finishing his work on earth.

Just a a save my butt here, this is out of context and not a word for word from the prophecy.
Belly of the earth =/= hell. Food for thought. Hell is not in the center of the earth.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:57 PM #7
270KIDZ
My Boat, My Rules

If you actually want to understand, read this: http://www.raptureready.com/featured/reagan/dr14.html

If you didn't really want an answer and would rather just ignorantly attempt to poke holes in the Easter story, go right ahead.

"Originally posted by Nips80: You are the best poster ever! I wish I could be like you!"
"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: Please teach me how to be as awesome as you!"
"Originally posted by Treghc: You are my hero and my idol. If you were gay like me, I would totally make love to you."
"Originally posted by Umami: Please let me have your babies. I want my children to have at least one parent that isn't retarded."
270KIDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:56 PM #8
hsilman
Disgustipated

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic.paintball View Post

monday was the first day of the week and many early Christians continued to name it as such even after the "official" first day had been change to the Sun's day by Constantine.

While not 72 continuous hours, generally in biblical times "day and night" referred to periods of light and darkness, not whole days, such as "three days of night" during the plague of darkness. So he died before sundown on Friday and was discovered by Mary early Monday morning before the sun had rose. Including the time on Friday before the sun set, that's three periods of light and darkness. John 20:1 starts out(NIV): "Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark".

why do we celebrate things on Sunday? well that has nothing to do with Jesus or when things actually happen. But we do, and there ya go. Just like Christmas, I've learned to accept that celebration of something doesn't have to coincide with the actual date of it. I often celebrate my birthday starting friday night even if it lands on that Tuesday. but that's a separate discussion.

of course, like many hsitorical points there is disagreement as to whether or not that culture viewed Monday as the first day of the week. If they followed popular Roman custom they did, but if they followed more traditional Jewish culture, I think Sunday was still considered the first day. It just makes more sense to me then coming up with some other thing to explain "belly of the whale". Some people have mentioned that this starts as soon as Jesus was delivered to Pilates. I could see that.
hsilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:47 PM #9
ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270KIDZ View Post
If you actually want to understand, read this: http://www.raptureready.com/featured/reagan/dr14.html

If you didn't really want an answer and would rather just ignorantly attempt to poke holes in the Easter story, go right ahead.
lol dude. I'm a Christian, somewhat I guess. I'm not trying to poke holes in it either. Just posing questions based on things I see. Anyway, I will read that article.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:55 PM #10
ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη

Quote:

Probably the best article I've ever read from RR.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:24 PM #11
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

ok so my previous response was both right and wrong... that's a very good article and completely explains it.
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:02 PM #12
270KIDZ
My Boat, My Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη View Post
lol dude. I'm a Christian, somewhat I guess. I'm not trying to poke holes in it either. Just posing questions based on things I see. Anyway, I will read that article.
lol that was alot more agressive sounding than it was meant. I just know that people come to this forum to talk and debate, while others come here to be trolls and dont really care what the answer is.

"Originally posted by Nips80: You are the best poster ever! I wish I could be like you!"
"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: Please teach me how to be as awesome as you!"
"Originally posted by Treghc: You are my hero and my idol. If you were gay like me, I would totally make love to you."
"Originally posted by Umami: Please let me have your babies. I want my children to have at least one parent that isn't retarded."
270KIDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:04 PM #13
ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη

Quote:
lol that was alot more agressive sounding than it was meant. I just know that people come to this forum to talk and debate, while others come here to be trolls and dont really care what the answer is.
Yeah I'm aware of that...