Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-29-2010, 06:01 PM #1
357 Productions
www.gisportz.com

357 Productions is a Supporting Member
357 Productions owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Do you have any questions?

We are going to a new format in the 3man and 5man divisions this season, a format that the GPL has not done in the past. With this, there are many teams who have been playing for years that are not use to this format. I am creating this thread to offer a way for teams and players who have been playing the GPL over the last decade or those who are not use to the Race2 format, to ask questions.

We are playing Race2 format with no coaching this season. Do anyone have any questions about this format? Please feel free to ask away here. Myself as well as others can help answer any and all questions you may have.

And hope to see all of you April 24th and 25th for Event #1!!!
357 Productions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:18 PM #2
dman3322

dman3322 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
dman3322 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
how much time will be given between points?
is there a time limit for a point?
for 3-man how many people can we have on a roster?
same for 5-man?
thank you
dman3322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:31 PM #3
357 Productions
www.gisportz.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman3322 View Post
how much time will be given between points?
is there a time limit for a point?
for 3-man how many people can we have on a roster?
same for 5-man?
thank you
For the Roster Question - for 3man you are allowed 5 players, in 5man you are allowed 8.

I will have the ultimate answer your other questions shortly.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:58 PM #4
ZenMike
OX AGGRSSN

ZenMike plays in the USPL
ZenMike plays in the PSP
ZenMike supports our troops
ZenMike plays in the APPA D4 division
If I missed a previous update please point me in the right direction, but to how many points is it a race?
Old 03-29-2010, 11:41 PM #5
panterajim

panterajim plays in the PSP
panterajim plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMike View Post
If I missed a previous update please point me in the right direction, but to how many points is it a race?
race2 means race to 2 points so basically best out 2 of 3
panterajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:16 AM #6
bigdaddy0812

bigdaddy0812 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
bigdaddy0812 plays in the APPA D4 division
bigdaddy0812 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
bigdaddy0812 supports DLX Technology
race to 2

how does the actuall points system actually work? like with the flag and points. and do you do the games back to back or wait for few teams to play then gp back to keep the games moving? thank you everyone for being helpful
bigdaddy0812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:57 AM #7
ZenMike
OX AGGRSSN

ZenMike plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by panterajim View Post
race2 means race to 2 points so basically best out 2 of 3
Old 03-30-2010, 08:43 AM #8
MisfitBigE144
PB God -26yrs N' Counting

Annual Supporting Member
MisfitBigE144 plays in the PSP
MisfitBigE144 donated to help Peyton Trent
MisfitBigE144 supports Bob Gurnsey
MisfitBigE144 plays in the APPA D4 division
MisfitBigE144 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
MisfitBigE144 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Thank you guys All great questions. I know that other leagues have asked teams to play their points back to back. I do like this format however what we are doing is most like the PSP.

You will be put into brackets. You will play the teams in your bracket once each on a set schedule.

Simply put - you win you get a point. If you loose you get a 0. If you go to overtime and loose you get a 1 point. So first team to 2 points wins that "match".

If you play 3 other teams you will max out at a possible 6 points. In the past their have been brackets of 5 or 6 teams and you don't play them all. The top 2 teams have advanced automatically. What this does is gets rid of body counts etc.. Simply you win you move on, you loose you don't. Teams are reseeded into quarters, semis and finals based upon the number of teams who have entered. Since each time you play a team you will play them AT LEAST twice it put you, the team in full control. No more fluke games to send you home. There is time to regroup and hash it out again.

Once that is done the schedule repeats with you now taking the opposite side of the field. With some luck you have won both your games Vs. Team "B" and you will not have to play the third tie-breaker.

We are looking at about 6 minutes "anticipated" between games. I know this sounds crazy. The games are a max of 5 minute per "point" and two minute in between. I took our schedule times from the PSP. I have had ample experience running these events and know two thinks (1) games rarely got to the full 5 minutes and (2) only about 1/2 to 1/3 of the matches will go to a third game.

This means on our schedule you will be averaging a game about every 20 - 25 minutes.

Staging is no longer in the parking lot. OACC is building 24 pits (12 for each field) in the alleys or gauntlets between fields 5 & 6 and 3 & 4. This means you will be right at the field. Air will be there. Paint sales is where the food used to be.

Everything will be close and conventient. No more running across the parking lot to get to a game. I al very VERY excited for the new year. I got to see the fields this last weekend for the referee clinic. I believe that teams will very much enjoy the changes.
Ultimate Judge EPL-NORTH & MID ATLANTIC 2014 & SMP 3Man EPL Feeder Series - www.eplseries.com

Last edited by MisfitBigE144 : 03-30-2010 at 09:08 AM.
MisfitBigE144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:06 AM #9
357 Productions
www.gisportz.com

Thank you Eric for that explaintion.

Guys - this is your oppourtunity to ask on this format. I want to make sure all of you understand the format this season. I am very excited for this season as well and look forward to seeing all your faces again.

Take care and see you guys in 1 month!!!
Old 03-30-2010, 05:37 PM #10
bigdaddy0812

bigdaddy0812 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
bigdaddy0812 plays in the APPA D4 division
bigdaddy0812 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
bigdaddy0812 supports DLX Technology
thank you eric,
That cleared up alot for me, but the part where you said about the aprox. 2 min inbetween games and the 6 min thing im a lil fuzzy on. so when we play a team the first point how long aprox will it be till we switch sides and play them for the second point?...also do you hand out all the teams there scedual at the captains meeting in morning?
bigdaddy0812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:52 PM #11
MisfitBigE144

Annual Supporting Member
Yes. You will get a schedule with your game times in terms of rounds. Round 1 is your first 3 matches. You will repeat the same schedule at least once for Round 2. If you play the third matches they will again be in the same order.

Here is going to be the hardest part. Games run according to how they finish on the field, not necessarily on the "Time" - those are really more of a guideline. Basically, The schedule will be posted and teams called 3 deep. Just be ready and chronoed to take the field when it is your turn. You will play approximatley every 20-25 minutes
Ultimate Judge EPL-NORTH & MID ATLANTIC 2014 & SMP 3Man EPL Feeder Series - www.eplseries.com
Old 03-30-2010, 06:26 PM #12
dj red dog

dj red dog plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy0812 View Post
thank you eric,
That cleared up alot for me, but the part where you said about the aprox. 2 min inbetween games and the 6 min thing im a lil fuzzy on. so when we play a team the first point how long aprox will it be till we switch sides and play them for the second point?
Big E,

I still don't think you covered this question fully, as I am still unclear as well. For example, I have played in other leagues that use a Race To 2 format. Here is how it played out:

A "match" consisted of a race to 2, or also known as a "best of 3".

Team A is the home team, Team B away. Game starts, and ends with Team A hanging the flag. We then had 2 minutes to "turn it around" which meant we had to pick up pods, fill air, fill paint, clean up, switch sides, and be at the starting box all within 2 minutes before the next "game" in the "match" started. The second "game" starts, and Team B wins that game, we then had 2 minutes to "turn it around" with the starting side for the 3rd game being decided by a coin flip.

In summary 1 "match" for Team A was played within a 10 minute time frame (roughly) that actually consisted of 3 games. There were no other teams on the field in between those 3 games.

From what I am reading in your post Big E, it reads as if we play 1 "game" against a team, and then wait awhile before we played "game 2" against that team.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:05 PM #13
DelawarePBguy
Right Coast Paintball

DelawarePBguy plays in the USPL
DelawarePBguy plays in the PSP
DelawarePBguy donated to help Peyton Trent
DelawarePBguy plays in the APPA D3 division
I think big E is trying to get the point that its not 2mins between points.

basically there will be, lets just say "3" different games playing on the field in a round. so it would go

Team 1 vs Team 2 ... when that finishes the next two teams play..and so on.. so you basically have from the time your game ends until the final game in that rotation has been played..

Example

Game 1 - T1vT2 , T3vT4 , T5vT6... Then rotation starts again for Game 2. (hence 20-25mins between your games)

Am i getting that right Big E?
Old 03-30-2010, 08:22 PM #14
357 Productions
www.gisportz.com

What i will doo guys is I will make sure a mock scedule is done up and posted here so you can follow. Remember this is a mock scedule.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:47 AM #15
MisfitBigE144

Annual Supporting Member
Thank you DJ - without just coming out and saying it, I'll just say it. CCPL in 2009 used this but DID NOT FOLLOW the PSP model - you played all 3 points at one time. This is NOT how we are doing it. I think it makes the event drag along while I wait for teams to re-air and re-fill pods etc..

That is not how PSP has done it. I have refereed the PSP and GPL and been a participant in other leagues. The GPL/MAPL adoption of the PSP style system is more time efficient and doesn't rush teams.

Cyndi I'll list a schedule. The confusion is that other leagues have used their own modified version of this and it is not the way in which the national leagues have run, or will run the race-to format. CCPL was trying to make it like Mini-X-Ball with a timed match etc...

Tony you are right on the money. Your game 1 is Vs. team 2; Your game 2 is Vs. team 3; your game 3 is vs. team 4; Your game 4, 5, &6 repeat the first three games, and again games 7, 8 & 9 as needed repeat the same games.

Last edited by MisfitBigE144 : 03-31-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:20 PM #16
MisfitBigE144

Annual Supporting Member
Bracket Schedule for each Round (This repeats twice more in the best of 3 contest)

1 (vs 2, 3, 4) 1 does not play 5 or 6
2 (vs 1, 5, 6) 2 does not play 3 or 4
3 (vs 4, 5, 1) 3 does not play 2 or 6
4 (vs 1, 3, 6) 4 does not play 2 or 5
5 (vs 2, 3, 6) 5 does not play 1 or 4
6 (vs 2,4, 5) 6 does not play 1 or 3

Division A-Bracket 1
Round 1
1 vs 2
3 vs 4
5 vs 6
Round 2
1 vs 3
2 vs 5
4 vs 6
Round 3
1 vs 4
2 vs 6
3 vs 5

After these three rounds notice that each team has played the other scheduled teams. Additionally there will be a second BRACKET 2 running their rounds immediately following BRACKET 1 rounds

Schedules will be like this
Round 1 – Bracket 1 – Game 1
Round 1 – Bracket 1 – Game 2
Round 1 – Bracket 1 – Game 3

Round 1 – Bracket 2 – Game 4
Round 1 – Bracket 2 – Game 5
Round 1 – Bracket 2 – Game 6

Round 2 – Bracket 1 – Game 7
Round 2 – Bracket 1 – Game 8

And so on…until all games through Round 3 are accounted for. Round 3 games may or may not happen based upon the outcomes of Rounds 1 & 2.

This again is a sample MOCK SCHEDULE I have been working off of with Cyndi and Rick Hartman to get our scheduling down. Prelim games at this pace are ending between 1 and 2 with a scheduled lunch break. Again the fewer Round 3 games the sooner we can get started with Semi’s and finals.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:59 PM #17
ZenMike
OX AGGRSSN

ZenMike plays in the PSP
E, I think there's some confusion because you keep referring to how the PSP does it and PSP-style schedule, but without making a distinction between PSP 5-man and PSP X-Ball. I know when I think of the PSP I automatically think of X-ball where you play all your points against a team back to back with a 2 minute break, but you are referring to PSP 5-man specifically, right?
Old 03-31-2010, 02:20 PM #18
Frank101
legit legit legit

Frank101 is a Supporting Member
Frank101 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Frank101 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Frank101 plays in the APPA D5 division
So no penalty boxes and playing on/wiping are still one for one and 3 for 1 respectively?
"Originally posted by pokenose: We quit doing that secret Santa thing after the black guy got a bucket of fried chicken, watermelon jolly ranchers, a bottle of colt 45 and a cotton scented candle then someone else got a ball of that free twine you tie down your items with at ikea and a vibrator so you can go **** yourself if you didn't like the twine."

"Originally posted by AlphaNeo36:
Election fraud is perfectly acceptable when it intends to keep Ron Paul out of the White House."
Frank101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:58 PM #19
MisfitBigE144

Annual Supporting Member
Yes. Penalties are Minor (1 for 1), Major (2 for 1) and Gross Major (3 for 1)

Th added bonus for a gross major is the infracting player sits out for an additional 10 minutes, which means they miss they next 2 rounds.

Mike you are correct. Since we are NOT running the X-Ball format then this is the RACE-To-2 format used for 5 man. My point being CCPL and others have tried to merge the two.

We are strickly running as the schedule above. You will get a schedule in the morning just like you have in prior GPL events. The difference being,(1) you are staging AT the field (2) you only play 3 other teams (buy play each best out of 3) and (3) you only play 1 field in the prelims. That field is your assigned field.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:14 PM #20
Paintball_Huh???
eye heart weiner

Paintball_Huh??? plays in the PSP
Paintball_Huh??? posts videos on PbNation
Paintball_Huh??? plays in the APPA D2 division
quick question....Are we going to be walking the field the night prior to the event (saturday) or just Sunday morning

GEARBAG SALE

WTG
Paintball_Huh??? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:52 AM #21
Dragun_Fly_Mech
Brotherhood - Semper Fi

Dragun_Fly_Mech is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
So each induvidual game is a point? So what do you get if you close the round. Also how is it going to work as far as advancing to semis and so on.
What could they have different? What could you have done different? What can you do different?"
Dragun_Fly_Mech is offline   Reply With Quote