PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-28-2010, 12:37 PM #1
Boom Master
Scenario Player

A Nerf CARTRIDGE for Autoloaders and Bolt Actions

Was tinkering again. Doing a little R&D for an ultralight barrel using 24" long Poly Carbonate MAILING TUBES. The trick was to mount it as a barrel onto the cannon/RPG. Tried heating and flaring the end and it worked! It didn't split or damage the tube during firing. A little fragile but makes the barrel weigh NOTHING compared to PVC barrels.

Nerfs fit snugly inside the tube so that solved my problem of needing an Nerf detent to keep the Nerfs with trimmed fins from sliding down the barrel onto the ground. Thought it might make a good Nerf detent all by itself by just lining the breech of my RPG barrel with it. A 7" piece, the flared end, and some Super Glue to keep it from rattling out.

That got me to thinking that maybe YOU GUYS might want to know about it as a CARTRIDGE to hold Nerfs that could be gravity fed down a magazine into an autoloader or bolt action RPG. Easier to carry etc. So here ya go.

To make the Flared end I just extended 3/16" of the mailing tube past the end of a piece of schedule 40. Heated it with my heat gun until it got soft and it doesn't take long. Thin Stuff. Rolled the edge with my finger covered with a light cotton work glove for insulation. To get a SMOOTHER edge I should have just flattened it with a piece of board or just stuck it upside down onto a flat surface until it cooled completely.

You can see that is slides FREELY inside schedule 40. You could use that flared end for two things. To keep it from becoming a projectile along with the Nerf AND a perfect ridge for an extractor pin not unlike your bolt action rifles to eject the empty cartridge after firing. Ejecting Cartridges have been troublesome for many in the past. Just flip it out with an extractor pin and keep on firing.

Does that give you guys some ideas? A gravity fed magazine. A shotgun type feed under the main barrel with a spring feeding up into the breech. A hand fed bolt action? An ultralight belt FEED for a Mech Warrior or Walking Tank?

Another View:

If I was going to make a Nerf cartridge, I would consider making it shorter than the Nerf. Flush in the back at the fins but extend forward to just past the widest part of the Nerf. That way the TIP of the Nerf would guide it into the breech and align the end of the mailing tube to slide into the PVC. If you chafered the INSIDE of the PVC, I think you would have minimal jamming issues on the feed going IN.

Like This:

Another view:

Now remember, I HAVE used this as a RPG barrel. It WILL hold he pressure so that may mean you don't have to slide this cartridge ALL the way into the barrel. Just far enough to seal the end of the Cartridge by the barrel. A tip for you guys Quest for Cannon Rate of Fire. The shorter distance it has to travel, the less time it takes to get there...

Have fun!

Last edited by Boom Master : 03-28-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2010, 08:40 PM #2
DasWolfenstein

Wow very nice I might just use this on my tank to give it another edge.
DasWolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:33 PM #3
Boom Master
Scenario Player

I tested it as a barrel. Light but fragile. I would have a couple of spares knowing how often My Brain thinks I'm twenty years old and find out my body doesn't move like it used to. Face Plant.......

No real improvement in performance, Just weight reduction.

Haven't made a Nerf Cartridge. Just thought I would share the idea and technique for those that want to give it a go. My cannon is going to stay a magazine or upgrade in the direction of a belt feed.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:37 AM #4
DasWolfenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Master View Post
I tested it as a barrel. Light but fragile. I would have a couple of spares knowing how often My Brain thinks I'm twenty years old and find out my body doesn't move like it used to. Face Plant.......

No real improvement in performance, Just weight reduction.

Haven't made a Nerf Cartridge. Just thought I would share the idea and technique for those that want to give it a go. My cannon is going to stay a magazine or upgrade in the direction of a belt feed.
Have you seen a Tippmann smg-68? How the clip is how you put the balls in? Why not something like but you pull it like a belt fed?

Image for reference. So you can see the fed design why not something like that? You can fed faster and more effectively while still being light.
DasWolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:26 PM #5
AmazingBilldo
I..... win?

jeebus, Boom, you just don't stop

that would be GREAT to look into for another pet project........
AmazingBilldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:05 AM #6
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Quote:
jeebus, Boom, you just don't stop
Nope, I enjoy my tinker time.... Thinking is a lot cheaper entertainment than playing paintball. Building stuff is a few dollars here and there. Not a budget buster.

Then I can go play with my toys.

Bought a trailer to haul my motorized tank (that hasn't been started yet) to games. On the sides will be painted "MY TOY BOX"

On the back will be a flip sign. Friday it will read," I'm going to have more FUN that you are, Playing Paintball." Flip it Sunday to read, "I had more FUN than you did, playing paintball.

Now remember, I don't post the projects that were failures. Got lots of those.

Remember, Carefully planned irresponsibility is the KEY to mental health.