PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-13-2016, 04:52 PM #1
pball4sissies
i don't know man, you?

has been a member for 10 years
Leaking Issue

Gun was in storage for 10 years. Bought it used and only shot it a couple of times. Never played a game with it.

Took everything apart, changed all bad orings, cleaned, lightly lubed, reassembled.

HPR leaks from middle pin hole. LPR small leaks from adjustment screw hole. Bolt is pushed forward, won't cycle.

With a buddies Hyper 3 it leaks from the HPR receiver and trigger frame. LPR tip may had been leaking too. I believe the bolt was still pushed forward then. Would not cycle.

Recleaned, relubed, rebuilt whole gun. Ran out of orings. Can't find anywhere to order a kit that has a functioning website. Oringmonkey wouldn't work for me at all.

Want to know what else to look at before I get more air and try to get it going. And what to look for when I get more air.

When adjusting LPR and HPR. I would turn the LPR adjustment all the way in before gassing up. The HPR would be off and I would slowly raise its pressure until a leak occurred. Leaks occurred within a half a turn on the HPR.

2003 Dye Matrix
Tadao 5.0 w Musashi 3 - dwell at 20ms
AKA SCM I think
Hyper2 HPR
Random massive ASA, Empires mini rail
CCM Mini Feedneck

Had a hose around the top hat I removed. I believe it was a volume reducer for efficiency?

It has a cut out modded piece behind the bolt, can't remember it's name. It touches the back of the beer can, bolt tail goes through it. The small circles were turned into large ovals.

Bolt has small wear on the front facing portion of the tail. On the lip between the shaft and first o ring.

I have pictures available upon request. My phone and photo bucket aren't cooperating right now.

Thanks fellas. I've searched and read a lot. Many links, pics, videos, threads, etc are all dead and lost though. I wish I had spent more time with this beast before I put her away.
pball4sissies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-14-2016, 12:47 AM #2
o0aits0o

Annual Supporting Member
o0aits0o has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Have you tried to rebuild your lpr? I've ran into lots of problems and half the time it was the lpr. Also make sure you have a functioning hpr. You cant adjust your lpr if the air coming in is too high or low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
o0aits0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:49 AM #3
o0aits0o

Annual Supporting Member
o0aits0o has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Btw try and use Aka's lube for the Scm Lpr if that is what you have. They also sell a rebuild through there website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
o0aits0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:21 AM #4
pball4sissies
i don't know man, you?

Pic of gun. Assuming that's a AKA SCM lpr.

The bolt looks similar to the aardvark... not certain because of the color.

Here is the modified spacer.

Thanks for the quick replies.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:41 AM #5
pball4sissies
i don't know man, you?

Spacer has a bolt stop mod. Dunno how I missed that bolt thread sticky. I am going to do the top hat mod once I start shooting more paint.

Where can I find entire matrix o ring kits? I don't want to individually buy each o ring for this monster.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:15 PM #6
Collie Runner

Collie Runner has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Collie Runner supports Ninja Paintball
Oring monkey has them. Not sure why you have issues with the site. I just went on there and pulled up the kit.
Collie Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:10 AM #7
pball4sissies
i don't know man, you?

No issues finding the kit on their site. I can't make an account to place an order. No reply from their support team yet.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:13 AM #8
pball4sissies
i don't know man, you?

The link to make an account on oringmonkey finally worked... until I filled it out, clicked submit, tried to log in, nothing.... no account made. I'm good with computers and the internet.... this site is monkey'ing around with me....

Found out there is a tiny o ring inside the Hyper2 that seals around the piston pipe. As I removed the o ring, it came out in chunks. And of course, I don't have any 007 o rings to replace it.

I believe I've got this gun figured out again. Just need another rebuild kit, and a new hopper.

Thanks y'all. Cheers!
Old 09-16-2016, 11:38 PM #9
pball4sissies
i don't know man, you?

Final update ... posting this for anyone trying to trouble shoot leaks these days (2016), but can't find old threads because "an error occurred" when you try to open them, websites are down, pictures won't load, etc.

Finally figured out my Gun's parts:
2003 Dye Matrix - Blue
Dye Mini Rocket LPR
Dye Hyper 2 HPR
Dye 14" 1-piece Boomstick Barrel
Tadao 5.0 M3 Chip
CCM Mini Feedneck
Empire Mini rail w/ unknown On/Off ASA
Bolt TopHat Mod - hose added around the top hat to reduce volume of the chamber, increasing efficiency
Bolt Spacer Mod - every 2 small holes are dremel'd out between them. 6 small holes turns into 3 "ovals." This increases efficiency or consistency.. I'm not 100% on the info behind this mod yet.

Here's what I l had to do:
- Clean entire gun
- Change all bad, dry, loose, stretched, disfigured o rings. Change them all if you have the o rings available... I had most of the o rings left over from an old kit.
- My Dye Mini Rocket LPR needed every o ring changed. LPRs will be your focus on a lot of leaks with this gun I've learned. Make sure your LPR is getting a good seal to the manifold!
- My Dye Hyper2 HPR needed some love. I heavily lubed every o ring and put some lube on the shims. The #007 o ring that is inside of the main body was my main issue, as the reg was leaking from the vent hole. This o ring seals the piston's stem. I lubed the o ring before installing, and I put lube on the piston stem to really get some in there when rebuilding the reg. Ive learned when performing regular maintenance, generous lube on the piston stem is enough to lube the o ring.
- Don't be afraid to be generous with lube in your HPR and LPR as their seals are crucial... don't make it messy, but don't be shy.
- I completely took apart the solenoid to clean and lube all gaskets. My big gasket between the solenoid and the manifold has a tiny disfiguration, but still seals enough to not leak (that I can hear). I will replace this eventually... I carefully tightened the solenoid as much as I could with tiny screwdrivers. I added very tiny o rings to the two screw holding the solenoid to the manifold to prevent cracking or damaging the solenoid when reinstalling.
- Lube bolt, without leaving large clumps. Again, dont be shy. You should be able to see the glossiness of the lube without seeing it's color or much texture. I was surprised how little attention my modded stock bolt needed. I replaced every o ring I could, but honestly I probably only needed to change the Top hat's outer o ring, and the bolt's sail o ring. These o rings are two of the most important on the bolt.

I'd recommend way over lubing the gun before storing it. I wish I had done this 10 years ago before putting this gun away... live and learn.

As for tuning..
- I've set the gun to stock dwell to get a base line. 14ms is where I have it until I feel comfortable dropping the dwell. (Tadao 5.0 M3 Board)
- LPR adjustment turned all the way in (this closes the LPR, reducing the air volume inside)
- HPR adjustment turned all the way in (this would cut off air from flowing through it), then turned out around 2-2.5 rotations before gassing up. Too low of a HPR setting when gassing up can cause the bolt to have trouble sealing. Too high of a setting will blow o rings or damage solenoid.
- Tune your velocity with the HPR
- Then start turning your LPR out (this increases the volume of the LPR chamber) until velocity starts to drop off or be inconsistent. Then turn it back in 1/4 to 1/2 a rotation. Shoot a few quick shots to see if there is any drop off. If there is drop off, turn in another 1/4 turn until you can you can shoot multiple shots in a row with no drop off. Your gun should be very consistent. Straight and flat, assuming your paint is quality and close to the barrel bore size.

This thing is an amazing gun for its time. It can be annoying to trouble shoot, less convenient compared to modern markers, a little heavy and bulky... but once you have her singing in tune... the Fat Lady can sing like no other...or.....maybe.... maybe I just love kankles... where does the calf end and the foot begin.... who knows? That's the fun!

Cheers

Last edited by pball4sissies : 09-17-2016 at 12:00 AM.