PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-09-2017, 08:04 PM #1
justmyluck3229

FS Hero 88 tank has a pinging noise with each shot

Hi Guys,
I have purchased my very first FS Hero 88 tank and I love it. I have installed low pressure kit at 425-475psi and I didn't put any shims in it to get it as close to 400psi as possible. Now, since I have gas it up with no issues at all and it seems to fire just fine except for the pinging noise. Since I have 3 ninja tanks and they don't make any pinging noise with no shims in them, do the FS Hero tanks needs at least one shim for the pinging noise to go away or did I install the low pressure kit incorrectly. I have used a gauge and it is reading at 400psi with no shims. All of my guns has a pinging noise when I fire with the Hero 88 tank. My markers that has fired with the Hero 88 were the 2 Bob Long GR6, 2 MacDev clones and the gtek 160R. I was using the new Gtek 160R for the first time on Sunday along with testing out my new Hero 88 tanks so my first thought was it was the new Gtek 160R since it had to be broken in. Thanks for any advices.
justmyluck3229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2017, 09:15 PM #2
Paul77
Can't find my old account

Annual Supporting Member
Paul77 is BST Trusted
Paul77 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
For ****s and giggles try putting the factory piston and spring/shims in the hero and see if it pings on the 160. Just wanna see if it's only happens for Mid pressure kit.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:40 PM #3
Drayven

has been a member for 10 years
Drayven works for a Paintball manufacturer
Is this during use or just dry firing? We've only been able to duplicate it during dry firing, but never during actual use.

2717 W Ferguson Road
Fort Wayne, Indiana 46809
260-478-2500

INSIGHT OWNERS GROUP
Drayven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:01 AM #4
justmyluck3229

This happens during chronoing and games. I do have a very low pressure kit that just came in the mail so I will have to let the gas out. I won't be able to test out the tank until I get back to the field to gas it up to test it out the new low pressure kit.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:29 PM #5
Drayven

Make sure you lube the spring when you put it in. Gorilla Lube or silicone lube should work fine. Nothing petroleum based.

2717 W Ferguson Road
260-478-2500

INSIGHT OWNERS GROUP
Old 05-10-2017, 03:48 PM #6
justmyluck3229

It was lube with a silicone grease that I have used with my ninja regulator. Does not putting any shims in the low pressure kit have anything to do with the ping?
Old 05-11-2017, 06:55 AM #7
Drayven

It shouldn't.

2717 W Ferguson Road
260-478-2500

INSIGHT OWNERS GROUP
Old 05-14-2017, 08:37 PM #8
Thoth6Amon

plays in the NXL 2
Thoth6Amon plays in the APPA D5 division
Thoth6Amon supports Ninja Paintball
Just to add my two cents;

My 77 Hero tank pings with my Luxe 2.0. Using the Low pressure kit, I've bought a mid-pressure kit too and will switch out the springs to see if it was an anomaly or not.

Doesn't affect performance in any way, but I definitely wouldn't complain about no ping....
Thoth6Amon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:15 PM #9
ScottQ
lefty scissors

Annual Supporting Member
ScottQ is a Moderator
ScottQ is a Supporting Member
ScottQ is a founding member
ScottQ works for a Paintball manufacturer
ScottQ is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth6Amon View Post
Just to add my two cents;

My 77 Hero tank pings with my Luxe 2.0. Using the Low pressure kit, I've bought a mid-pressure kit too and will switch out the springs to see if it was an anomaly or not.

Doesn't affect performance in any way, but I definitely wouldn't complain about no ping....
Your tank should not be making a ping with any pressure kit. Usually pinging occurs when not enough lube(like Dow33) is used.

Send us an e-mail at service@first-strike.com so we can take care of that problem for you.
ScottQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:30 PM #10
justmyluck3229

I got in contact with a tech from first strike and he has suggested that I lube the 2 o-rings with lots of grease. I have replaced the low pressure kit with an extra low kit with 2 shims. I will gas up the tank and test it out for this week and I will let you guys know how it works out. The tank is working fine but the pinging noise is annoying but you will get use to it. I was also told that it would go away in time. My silicon grease is just as thick as the MacDev grease and I don't have any Dow33 grease. I just have the thin Dow 55 grease for my G6r. Thanks for the help and suggestion. I will let you guys know the results.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:20 AM #11
Drayven

Do not use 55. It will cause the orings to swell.

2717 W Ferguson Road
260-478-2500

INSIGHT OWNERS GROUP
Old 05-16-2017, 09:59 PM #12
justmyluck3229

Don't worry. I am going to stick with the silicon grease since it is the thickest grease that I have
Old 05-21-2017, 10:28 PM #13
justmyluck3229

I had a chance to test out the other very low pressure kit for Hero FS 88 Tank this week and it still ping. I got a lot of stares from my friends about the pinging noise since they were wondering about the Hero Tanks. The tank seems to work fine but the pinging noise is very loud. I was using the Gtek 160R marker. Sorry for the bad news. It got so bad that I switched to my Ninja tank and the Ninja tank worked just fine with the Gtek 160R. I missed being able to adjust the gauged around on the Hero FS tank since the gauge from the Ninja tank wasn't adjusted for this marker and it was digging into my wrist. Bummer.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:58 AM #14
ScottQ
lefty scissors

Annual Supporting Member
ScottQ is a Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmyluck3229 View Post
I had a chance to test out the other very low pressure kit for Hero FS 88 Tank this week and it still ping. I got a lot of stares from my friends about the pinging noise since they were wondering about the Hero Tanks. The tank seems to work fine but the pinging noise is very loud. I was using the Gtek 160R marker. Sorry for the bad news. It got so bad that I switched to my Ninja tank and the Ninja tank worked just fine with the Gtek 160R. I missed being able to adjust the gauged around on the Hero FS tank since the gauge from the Ninja tank wasn't adjusted for this marker and it was digging into my wrist. Bummer.
Justmyluck3229 - Please contact the First Strike tech support, we will need to exchange out your regulator for you. They'll get you all fixed up. Thanks for your patience.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:52 PM #15
diehli
Geniass

Annual Supporting Member
diehli owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
diehli plays in the APPA beginner division
diehli owns a Planet Eclipse CSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottQ View Post
Justmyluck3229 - Please contact the First Strike tech support, we will need to exchange out your regulator for you. They'll get you all fixed up. Thanks for your patience.
Interesting. I can't get anyone from the CS side to contact me despite several emails and calls. Randy has been great in responding to my PMs here, but CS has not responded once to me & hasn't followed through as Randy said they would.

As far as my issues, I need a new piston for 1 tank regulator because the seal on the stem mushroomed, causing the pressure to creep up to 800 psi, despite having a mid pressure kit installed.

Additionally, despite labeling issues on the part of the retailer I bought the kits from, I was told I would be sent out replacement pistons for the 2 rebuild kits I purchased that contained pistons for a different tank reg (not the Hero).

And there's the fact that my 2 88s with low & extra low pressure kits & my teammate's 77 & 48 with mid pressure kits all ping, even with heavy lube on the pistons.

Gotta say, my initial review here is looking too rosy, & a lot of that has to do with your CS:

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=5588945
ML Crisis #72
One Team, One Goal!

Tact is for those not witty enough to be sarcastic.

FOR SALE:
-Planet Eclipse eBlade E2 (black) w/extra solenoid
diehli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:58 PM #16
ScottQ
lefty scissors

Annual Supporting Member
ScottQ is a Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehli View Post
Interesting. I can't get anyone from the CS side to contact me despite several emails and calls. Randy has been great in responding to my PMs here, but CS has not responded once to me & hasn't followed through as Randy said they would.

As far as my issues, I need a new piston for 1 tank regulator because the seal on the stem mushroomed, causing the pressure to creep up to 800 psi, despite having a mid pressure kit installed.

Additionally, despite labeling issues on the part of the retailer I bought the kits from, I was told I would be sent out replacement pistons for the 2 rebuild kits I purchased that contained pistons for a different tank reg (not the Hero).

And there's the fact that my 2 88s with low & extra low pressure kits & my teammate's 77 & 48 with mid pressure kits all ping, even with heavy lube on the pistons.

Gotta say, my initial review here is looking too rosy, & a lot of that has to do with your CS:

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=5588945
Please send me an e-mail - squarles@first-strike.com, I'll personally get you taken care of.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:20 PM #17
justmyluck3229

I sent my Hero tank in on Wednesday even once I got an e-mail back from the tech support center. They sent me a form to fill out and the returned address. I was little worry since I didn't get an e-mail back from them after one day but I had to reply back to another tech support staff and cc the last staff who was asking me some questions about lubing my piston. I not sure when I will get the tank back. But I got 2 extra Ninja SL tank as back up. If this works out fine and they fix my pinging issue, then I will but another Hero 88 tank as another back up since I love the way the regular can rotate to different positions. I got a total of 6 different markers that I can't adjust Ninja regular to a different position and the gauge or the fill nipple is digging into my wrist for each gun. Of course I can empty out the air and then adjust the ninja regular to the position that I want but it is a little inconvenient.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:31 PM #18
justmyluck3229

Looks like ScottQ help me the most in this form and I had to replied back to the 2 other tech staff before I got a replied back after a day and half with the returned address and the form to fill out. The first tech who replied back to me informed me that they had this pinging issue when they dried fired the marker which wasn't my case. I had to replied back to him on an old e-mail to explain to him again that it was pinging with both low and extra low pressure kit. Then he finally suggest that I returned the tank. ScottQ was the first one to suggest that I returned the tank and he was right on the money. Thanks you ScottQ. I hope that if I do buy another Hero tank and the issue with the tank pinging, happens again with the new tank, then I can get help through you, ScottQ.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:40 PM #19
Thoth6Amon

plays in the NXL 2
Reporting back after installing the mid-pressure spring, and no dice. I still get pretty loud ping noises, and I made sure to lube up the spring / O-rings as recommended.

It's not so bad on the G6R, but on a Luxe it's just way too much. Hoping I can get this fixed, because I love the tanks and regulators otherwise.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:16 AM #20
ScottQ
lefty scissors

Annual Supporting Member
ScottQ is a Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth6Amon View Post
Reporting back after installing the mid-pressure spring, and no dice. I still get pretty loud ping noises, and I made sure to lube up the spring / O-rings as recommended.

It's not so bad on the G6R, but on a Luxe it's just way too much. Hoping I can get this fixed, because I love the tanks and regulators otherwise.
Very odd. Looks like we're going to need to do something else. Please contact our customer support and we will get this taken care of.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:03 PM #21
Thoth6Amon

plays in the NXL 2
Sure thing Scott, I appreciate the help. I'm playing an event this weekend, but I'll have the regulator shipped out next Monday along with my two springs, and hopefully the gremlins will be ironed out.