PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-22-2010, 11:19 AM #1
bchapp1

bchapp1 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
OLED board-improving consistency??

i had a freind (who has been playing for over 8 years) tell me upgraded boards normally are a downgrade except in a few instances; one instance being the virtue OLED. He claims the virtue OLED enables the marker to fire more consistently and accurately. To me this sounds stupid, but then i got to thinking how the circuit board is like the brain of the marker and a brain is pretty criticial so now he has me curious.

The crazy thing is about a year ago wehn the OLED first came out from virtue I bought one for my 06 ego because i liked all the settings it had, but then i got an 09 ego so i sold it since the 09 ego has a much nicer board than the 06, but while i had the OLED a different freind claimed the board "transformed" my ego6, but i always brushed that off

now that my other buddy has made these claims it got be interested so i wanted to see what other ppl thought about circuit boards making markers more accurate/consistent/efficent

thanx,
ben
bchapp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-22-2010, 11:21 PM #2
Jim

Jim is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Jim has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
The short answer is no. Having a Virtue OLED, Tadao, APE, or whatever board does not make the gun shoot father, more accurately, or increase shot to shot consistency. People believe what they want and if they paid $200 for a board and believed it to be better than so be it.

Odds are if there was any many measurable difference from dropping in the board it is from 1.) the old board was malfunctioning or, 2.) the dwell and functional aspects of the board were different from one to the other.

Buying an upgraded board gives you additional firing modes and often deeper adjust ability than stock boards. I own/haven owned boards from every manufacturer currently available going back to Morlock and WAS boards. Beyond the modes of fire and adjust ability the only other area I can say I noticed a difference was eye logic. Once ACE came into play back in the day, how the board reacted to the paint became an important adjustment.

Today the guns are so good stock little is needed to make them be "just like the pros". I know for myself and many other 'ballers "if it ain't broke don't fix it" does not apply to paintball. We always feel as if there is some edge to be gained from a gizmo or do-dad. A good gun with good paint, hopper, air system, and barrel will do everything you ask of it and then some.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:49 AM #3
Magus Shadow

OMG a 2k1'er!

Haha, anyways, Jim has some mighty fine points. I just got a Virtue OLED myself.. but I got it for a marker I am perfectly happy with and have never had a problem with before. More than anything, I got it for the versatility of the modes and the RF for my loader to help with ease on paint. There are some features that may bring an element of dependability, like anti-bolt stick and anti-first shot drop off but overall consistency from shot to shot would not be "better".

An OLED is a luxury item. It's that convenience of being able to adjust things without counting blinks, special features like training mode and drills, and possibly some adjust-ability to make things go a lil smoother on field. I like that my loader can be put on a lower speed so it doesn't slam paint, and the RF is going to make sure that it's feeding consistently enough for that feature, but don't expect anything more than the performance that you are getting right now.
Rocking the Invert Mini
Magus Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:46 AM #4
Jim

Jim is a founding member
Jim has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Is a member from 2001 that rare lol? Something like the Loch Ness monster? Now I really feel old... Anyway I agree, an OLED is certainly a posh item. It will not make you play any better or shoot any more faces but, you can always see exactly what your settings are quite quickly.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:17 AM #5
SKI008
Fear my Join Date

Shouldn't change consistency at all, X ms of dwell is going to be X ms on any board unless someone really fails at programming.

Aftermarket boards DO tend to have more options for progamming debounce and trigger "interaction" so you might get a more consistent rope going with an aftermarket board since you can fine tune the debounce and stuff like that more than on some stock boards. But as for a more consistent shot over the chrono, that is mostly handled by paint to bore match and your reg pressures (seeing as a millisecond of dwell will be a millisecond of dwell anywhere)

Last edited by SKI008 : 03-24-2010 at 01:21 AM.
SKI008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:22 AM #6
{TWC} GUNHEAD
Canadian Justice

I just bought an oled board for my Tremor shocker ..other than having more options it did not cause the marker to preform better
{TWC} GUNHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:46 AM #7
bchapp1

bchapp1 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
this is all as i figured thanx for all the responses

-ben
bchapp1 is offline   Reply With Quote