Old 03-22-2010, 09:14 AM #1
J. Stein

J. Stein is a Supporting Member
J. Stein is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
J. Stein plays in the PSP
J. Stein donated to help Peyton Trent
Thread of the Week: The New (Pro) Reality

The inaugural event of the 2010 season has come and gone and I think most people will agree that the way the pro division played out was somewhat unexpected.

It was predictable that Vicious & XSV would have a hard first event, both teams graduating from the semi-pro's. Both teams augmented their ranks with good off-season acquisitions, but the first event was almost guaranteed to be a bit tough (which isn't to say either team, or both, couldn't have pulled it together and make a statement, just that it isn't shocking that they didn't).

It was also somewhat predictable that the Men would have a rough event, with the roster overhaul they've gone through. I don't think anyone saw 9th place coming.

But from there... wow. The Russian Legion, who basically returned last year's championship team, getting knocked out early. Infamous, which is essentially a brand new team (two guys from Ironmen, a few from Infamous, more from Aftermath and then Kali, who played with the Hurricanes last year), goign deep.

As I thought about it on the way in to work today, I decided I like it. I like the newness of it. I like having to relearn which teams are the new heavies. It's like putting on a brand new suit - it still feels special.

And so what happens now? Everyone, including the people competing, are facing this new reality. Will XSV decide to bring in a few more bodies? Will Vicious stay the 'slow and steady' course that has brought them so far? Will anyone go out and try to make a big move before Chicago? Will anyone drop out? Yeah, you shake your head now, but when was the last time we went a full season without a pro team dropping out of one league or another (or just dropping out altogether)?

Warzone Facebook
www.warzoneri.com

RIP Ronnie
J. Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-22-2010, 10:09 AM #2
danbob1088
succisa virescit

danbob1088 is a Paintball photographer
danbob1088 is an NCPA player
danbob1088 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Stein View Post
The inaugural event of the 2010 season has come and gone and I think most people will agree that the way the pro division played out was somewhat unexpected.

It was predictable that Vicious & XSV would have a hard first event, both teams graduating from the semi-pro's. Both teams augmented their ranks with good off-season acquisitions, but the first event was almost guaranteed to be a bit tough (which isn't to say either team, or both, couldn't have pulled it together and make a statement, just that it isn't shocking that they didn't).

It was also somewhat predictable that the Men would have a rough event, with the roster overhaul they've gone through. I don't think anyone saw 9th place coming.

But from there... wow. The Russian Legion, who basically returned last year's championship team, getting knocked out early. Infamous, which is essentially a brand new team (two guys from Ironmen, a few from Infamous, more from Aftermath and then Kali, who played with the Hurricanes last year), goign deep.

As I thought about it on the way in to work today, I decided I like it. I like the newness of it. I like having to relearn which teams are the new heavies. It's like putting on a brand new suit - it still feels special.

And so what happens now? Everyone, including the people competing, are facing this new reality. Will XSV decide to bring in a few more bodies? Will Vicious stay the 'slow and steady' course that has brought them so far? Will anyone go out and try to make a big move before Chicago? Will anyone drop out? Yeah, you shake your head now, but when was the last time we went a full season without a pro team dropping out of one league or another (or just dropping out altogether)?
I don't think you'll see much team movement personally. Since it is early in the season some teams such as Vicious have had very little full, regulation field practices (from what I understand, they went to Texas? once to practice XFactor I believe, and a practice before PHX - rest were indoor or small field). I don't believe teams can really afford to bring in new bodies other than local talent that most have already tapped, as we've seen restructuring of a number of teams in the runup to the season. I don't think you'll see teams drop out (of pro). It seemed to me from all the upheaval in the off-season that the teams who stayed are the ones who are in it for the long haul, although anything can happen - if a major sponsor starts tanking (see All-As and Smart Parts) we may see a team drop.

From what I have heard PHX had some incredible energy. Hopefully that spills over and we see an upturn in tournament paintball.

flickr
danbob1088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:46 AM #3
rOcKiNtHeDm5*la*

rOcKiNtHeDm5*la* owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
rOcKiNtHeDm5*la* supports Team VICIOUS
if xsv doesnt perform well next event, i dont see them lasting. In their podcasts on youtube, junior brown said finances are tough, and whoever has money to play next event in their organization will play. I cant see them lasting. I believe they only last in semi pro because they were able to place top 4 almost every event and take home atleast a few g's to pay some bills

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...4#post15332664
My feedback -------- 0 negative
rOcKiNtHeDm5*la* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:11 PM #4
Fox4paintball
Home of upTon 187 cRew

Annual Supporting Member
Fox4paintball is a Professional paintball player
Fox4paintball is an Ultimate field/store owner
Fox4paintball plays in the PSP
Fox4paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Fox4paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Fox4paintball plays in the APPA D4 division
Seems like the value of the AA's has shown through. If you picked up an AA's player in the off season you made playoffs (with the one exception being Vicious and Pat Roberts).

Ryan M. went to Impact - 1st place
Jason E. went to Damage - 2nd place
Tim M, Steve D and Sam M. went to Aftershock - 3rd place
KFed to the Legion - 5th or 6th place
Chad G went to Dynasty - 5th or 6th place

It's amazing how much one team impacts the entire pro ranks. Ok - most likely not fair to look at it that way, but that's what the data points towards.

Just goes to show you - don't sit back and expect the same results - go out and work for it - make the roster changes/additions you feel are going to give you the edge.

It's good to see the Pro division all mixed up - I have to believe that Chicago will be no different. I'd say it is very possible and even likely that a different team will win each event this season. Something I don't think we've felt likely for quite some time. It's good for the sport.
Home of upTon 187 cRew
(508) 529-FOX4 (3694)
www.fox4paintball.com
Fox4paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:15 PM #5
Freak36

Freak36 is an NCPA player
Freak36 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by rOcKiNtHeDm5*la* View Post
if xsv doesnt perform well next event, i dont see them lasting. In their podcasts on youtube, junior brown said finances are tough, and whoever has money to play next event in their organization will play. I cant see them lasting. I believe they only last in semi pro because they were able to place top 4 almost every event and take home atleast a few g's to pay some bills
Not so sure about that to be honest. Rich Telford seems to be very stubborn and doesn't appear to want to see his team go byebye... I honestly don't think they'll go anywhere. Especially with their drastic change of players in the past(they only have what, 2-3 core guys from the original XSV? True, anything can happen... sponsors back out or tank but to be honest, if they were to leave pro PSP, I don't think it'll be for long.

Philly Americans and Smart Parts going bye bye was a huge shocker for me. For some reason now, I'm thinking if we were to see a pro team drop... I would pick Ironmen.

I highly doubt Vicious is going anywhere or will be making much roster changes. Although their win/loss record doesn't show it and from what I can just gather from seeing the game scores, they didn't do half bad for their first pro event.

It is definitely a new year and I have this feeling that teams like Tampa Bay Damage and Aftershock who have been around that don't quite get as much press as the other teams (at least thats my take) will have a great year.

I really hope we don't see any more pro PSP teams drop... and for some reason going from 13 pro teams to 10 seems like a big drop. Anything lower then 8 I think you might as well turn pro into an open division.
Freak36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:26 PM #6
Buck

Buck is a founding member
Buck is a Professional paintball player
Buck donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox4paintball View Post
Seems like the value of the AA's has shown through. If you picked up an AA's player in the off season you made playoffs (with the one exception being Vicious and Pat Roberts).

Ryan M. went to Impact - 1st place
Jason E. went to Damage - 2nd place
Tim M, Steve D and Sam M. went to Aftershock - 3rd place
KFed to the Legion - 5th or 6th place
Chad G went to Dynasty - 5th or 6th place

It's amazing how much one team impacts the entire pro ranks. Ok - most likely not fair to look at it that way, but that's what the data points towards.

Just goes to show you - don't sit back and expect the same results - go out and work for it - make the roster changes/additions you feel are going to give you the edge.

It's good to see the Pro division all mixed up - I have to believe that Chicago will be no different. I'd say it is very possible and even likely that a different team will win each event this season. Something I don't think we've felt likely for quite some time. It's good for the sport.
One could argue that the Russians, Damage, and Dynasty would have made it without those players. Actually, this is one of the Russians' worst performances in awhile so you could say bringing Federov back hurt them. He did hang the flag on his own station.
Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:55 PM #7
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai is a Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
sumorai is playing at Living Legends VII
sumorai supports our troops
sumorai has perfected Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Lots of surprises for sure. I agree with Dave about Philly's disbanding being a good thing for other teams (especially Aftershock). I think Damage would have been top 4 even without Edwards, though.

I like the shake-up. It feels fresh again. It's not just a race between Ironmen, Legion & Philly anymore.

And Ironmen... wow. What's going on there? Sure they had some roster changes, but they only lost two of their players from last year. Then again, they only added three more on (leaving one roster spot open for some reason), one of whom was a D2 player. I wouldn't be surprised to see some roster churn for them before the next event.

Congrats, to Impact, though. Not sure how they pulled it off since they really didn't change up their roster much, and they've never really been a top team in the PSP. The highest they placed previously was 4th at PSP Phoenix in 2008. I'd love to know what it was that made such a difference for them at this event. It definitely wasn't just adding Moorhead to the roster.

Can't wait to see what happens in Chicago. I really hope the PSP can manage to get the webcast going for that event as well and find some way to capitalize on it finally. I'm sure more people are going to want to watch it now that the game has been opened up like this.

NEPb - Destructive Customs - Feedback: Old New - Stuff for sale

I am not a MacDev tech. Please do not PM me about their products. Click here instead
sumorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:55 PM #8
J. Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by rOcKiNtHeDm5*la* View Post
if xsv doesnt perform well next event, i dont see them lasting. In their podcasts on youtube, junior brown said finances are tough, and whoever has money to play next event in their organization will play.
What Junior said was that whoever had money to attend Chicago to help coach and organize, would come in that capacity. He wasn't talking about players.

Warzone Facebook
www.warzoneri.com

RIP Ronnie
Old 03-22-2010, 01:29 PM #9
NTran

Annual Supporting Member
NTran is a Professional paintball player
NTran plays in the PSP
NTran owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
How much do you think the 90 second between points was a factor?
Maybe some teams didn't adjust quickly enough with it.

I think they should still have at least 4 matches in prelims also.
I don't like how there is less and less paintball each year.
Pros should be playing more matches/points.
UpTon 187 cRew - #4, Coach/Manager
Fox 4 Paintball * Planet Eclipse * G.I. SPORTZ

PM me if you want to set up a TEAM Clinic or INDIVIDUAL Clinic with 187.
NTran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:32 PM #10
FullMetalJester
NU Coach / Gun Tech

FullMetalJester plays in the PSP
FullMetalJester is an NCPA player
FullMetalJester plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTran View Post

IMHO they should keep the race-to format for the everything under Pro and make Pro more like old school xball and run unlimited points.

See some more epic battles.
FullMetalJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:33 PM #11
paintballbj11
BJ

paintballbj11 is a Professional paintball player
paintballbj11 plays in the PSP
paintballbj11 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
paintballbj11 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
paintballbj11 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
well i went to phoenix yesterday and ill tell you what i observed...

ryan morhead played out of his skull. impact vs infamous morhead made some great moves to win games and there were at least 2 times when he was the last left and made ridiculous moves to win or almost win the point.

niky cuba... noticed him on infamous playing great. he won a 2v1 from the snake corner vs aftershock and was always the guy running down the snake guys from the other team.

the other team that was noticeably good was aftermath, even tho they are semi pro and not pro they were running threw people the game i saw.

i didnt get a chance to see any of the damage games because i was watching lift instead

lift by the way, congrats for to them for the top 4 finish in D1 but they definitely let opportunities slip away to place higher.
upTon 187 cRew #01
are you in a video game?
paintballbj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:39 PM #12
paintballbj11
BJ

paintballbj11 is a Professional paintball player
paintballbj11 plays in the PSP
paintballbj11 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
paintballbj11 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
paintballbj11 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTran View Post

i think the 90 seconds was a factor. at least in the aftermath game and a couple other games people were running to the start box with less then 10 seconds left. losing 30 seconds absolutely effected the game and you could see players getting slow because of the fast turn arounds. i also noticed there were not a lot of huge breakouts. teams that were slow to the startbox never hit corner or snake otb.

in fact the snake was very hard for teams to hit, i think i only remember 1 or 2 guys making the snake clean otb and at least one of those was an infamous player
upTon 187 cRew #01
are you in a video game?
paintballbj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:57 PM #13
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
I recall the PSP facebook page stating that a few semi-pro games had points where people failed to make it onto the field in time and start down on bodies.

That really seems like an arbitrary change to me. Why did they make it?

I am not a MacDev tech. Please do not PM me about their products. Click here instead
Old 03-22-2010, 02:00 PM #14
J. Stein

In moving events from 4 days to 3 days, cutting down the time between points was necessary.

I guess all those 30 seconds add up.

Warzone Facebook
www.warzoneri.com

RIP Ronnie
Old 03-22-2010, 02:17 PM #15
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
They saved 65 minutes on Friday.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:21 PM #16
J. Stein

so what is that? 4 matches

Warzone Facebook
www.warzoneri.com

RIP Ronnie
Old 03-22-2010, 02:48 PM #17
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
One and change, based on their timing of 45 minutes from the start of one match to the next. The matches are, what, 15 minutes? I assume the other 30 minutes or so is used to clean the field and give the refs a little break.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:38 PM #18
foreverpsycotic
Gun Whore in training

foreverpsycotic owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
This season without a doubt, will be interesting. I haven't payed attention to much tournament paintball since 05ish (college and other things got in the way). This will be an eye opening season to say the least, where a lot of teams will either make it or break it after Chicago. I can see another 1 or 2 teams dropping due to financial reasons.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:22 PM #19
Euouae

Euouae supports Cereal Killerz 2
Euouae donated to help Peyton Trent
Euouae supports Bob Gurnsey
Euouae supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumorai View Post
Congrats, to Impact, though. Not sure how they pulled it off since they really didn't change up their roster much, and they've never really been a top team in the PSP. The highest they placed previously was 4th at PSP Phoenix in 2008. I'd love to know what it was that made such a difference for them at this event. It definitely wasn't just adding Moorhead to the roster.
I'm a huge Impact fan and will defend/explain...
They've always had a solid core and some excellent players. Josh Davey, Justin Cornell, Zach Yachimec, Josh Ouimet, Johnny Thompson etc... Adding Moorhead brings in another superstar and someone who knows how to win. It also filled the gap on the dorito side (because Faiazza retired at the end of 08). Impact has always been a decent xball team. In the open division they won a few events. Last year was a rough year. 2008 they placed 4th at Phoenix AND Cup - which is respectable but not spectacular. I think hard work is finally just paying off and I hope to see more wins for them this year

.Impact <3 HK.
Euouae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:51 PM #20
Citrus_Maximus
www.understood.com

Annual Supporting Member
Citrus_Maximus is a Supporting Member
Citrus_Maximus works for a Paintball manufacturer
Of course I'm biased, but I think that XSV will take the hard lessons from PHX and really try and turn it around for Chicago.

Mr. Stein is right, money for the PSP is there and regardless of their ultimate ranking they will finish out the season. The didn't have a good first day, but did come out strong against Impact, who then went on to win it. I mean a loss is a loss but at least it might bode well for the future.

The overall standing at PHX were surprising in both Pro and Semi-pro, so its shaping up to be an interesting season.

I personally am happy to be surprised by the outcome of events. Its nice to keep things interesting and have some shake-ups.
Citrus_Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote