PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-19-2010, 12:32 AM #1
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

What's the culture of airsoft like?

I've been playing paintball for about 13 years now but I've never tried airsoft. I've owned a few airsoft guns over the years, little single-shot pistols and a miniature electric rifle thing someone gave me for Christmas, but apart from chasing some friends around in the dorm back in college I've never used them for anything.

I've read a few pages that claim to talk about the differences between paintball and airsoft, but they only focus on the technical side of things: range and accuracy, the fact that airsoft guns tend to be more accurate to scale, the fact that AEGs don't require gas, etc.

What I'm more interested in is what an average day at an airsoft field is like.

What do you do when you show up?
Can you just jump into a game?
Where do you go if you're hit?
What kind of people do this for fun?
Are some players better than others?
Is there anything you can do on the field that others consider rude?
What kind of guns do you use if you just want to win?
Is certain gear banned or frowned on?
Do you have to stick with your team or can you rush ahead to the best bunkers?
What do you do if you suspect someone of cheating?
Do you play all day or take a scheduled break?
Does everyone have to wear camouflage?

That kind of stuff.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-19-2010, 02:30 AM #2
zimm41
A.F.F.A

There are the really cool people like me And the ******* older guys. It's kinda like rec ball.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:02 AM #3
Petis_spyderman
Soberity Kills Me.

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
Think outdoor paintball. You show up, you get your gear ready, you figure out which side your playing on. Chrono in, maybe sit through a safety lecture.
Depends. Might be a mil-sim game, might just be a open free for all.
Depends. Are you playing with medic rules? If not, you walk to the re spawn point and start counting.
anybody. ****, I've had better luck convincing chicks to play airsoft with me over paintball.
yes. 9 times out of 10, if they have seen actual ****, they will be better then you.
Think anything you can do on a paintball field.
anything that shoots above 350 fps. Doesn't really matter on the make/type of gun.
Explosives, smoke grenades, anything flammable, wearing actual military insignia, check your local field.
Do you have to stick with your team or can you rush ahead to the best bunkers? Depends. Are you playing a free for all game, or a mil sim type OP? I'd stick with my team, I mean, the more pairs of eyes you have looking for the opposing team the better. Also, what if your playing with medic rules? I wouldn't want to be hit then "bleed out" because I wasn't close enough to my medic.
shoot them more. contact field/event staff. Call it out on your teams radio (if you have one)
depends. A lot of the smaller local games we take a lunch break for an hour or so in the middle of the day. Larger games, like the 24-72 hour milsim ops, is like being in "real" combat. No breaks.
No, not really. Maine airsoft uses the "green vs tan" system. Also, depending in the OP, it might be called to play in your civi's. If you wondering about sticking out, don't worry. I started playing in a pair of brown cargo pants with a green/tan sweater.

That kind of stuff.
hope this helps

Last edited by Petis_spyderman : 03-19-2010 at 11:04 AM.
Petis_spyderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:20 AM #4
MangoChutney
HAI IM A BAT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
What I'm more interested in is what an average day at an airsoft field is like.

The following answers are reflective of the fields I play at, not necessarily all fields.

Same thing as Paintball, just sign up and get ready then divide into teams.
Usually there is only one game with everyone playing, so jumping in is fine as long as the refs tell you so.
Depending on the rules, you could either be out for the game or go back to a pre-designated "dead zone".
I have seen everyone from teenagers to moms to old guys, and everything in between.
Yes.
Curse, fight, not call hits, be an *******, etc. Generally just be polite to everyone and if someone is giving you **** talk to a referee.
The ones that shoot BB's. Seriously though, the gun that you are most comfortable with is the best bet at winning.
Once again, I've seen everything from MultiCam to flannel to hawaiin shirts. It's pretty hard to be frowned upon, but getting laughed at is different.
Do you have to stick with your team or can you rush ahead to the best bunkers?
Stop thinking Paintball. Airsoft isn't the same in the sense that both sides start at opposite sides and just shoot each other Revolutionary War style. It'd be best to stick with your team, or smaller 'squad', since 5 guns is better than one.
You can either yell and curse at them that they're cheating, which will make you look bad. Or tell a referee and continue to shoot the **** out of him seeing as the ref will be keeping an eye on him.
At my field we start around 10 and play till 1, take a formal break/games finished, then we play another shorter game with the people who aren't tired yet.
No. The debate will go on for years that wearing camouflage is definitely better because it'll hide you better and blah blah blah. It really doesn't matter, but some say it does. I'd say pick up a set of camo pants and at least a camo vest, just so it'd be treated like Paintball clothes. You won't have to worry about ruining your jeans and a good way to put having camouflage is "it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it".
That kind of stuff.
There you go, I stopped eating my cereal for this. Appreciate it.
MangoChutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:52 AM #5
ismet
Jerkin' the Gerkin

ismet plays in the APPA D5 division
I played once. The people I played with were very nice. My friends airsoft guns battery died and some guy I never met let me use his gun.

Those fast shooting guns jam a lot.

The game is pretty slow, but I'd play it again.

www.USPN.biz

www.faceblastpaintball.com
Gloss Red Bob Long Victory with Virtue OLED f/s/t Axe's + $$$ COME!

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?p=73494726#post73494726
ismet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:39 PM #6
PBLULZ
www.Dmeyerspb.com

PBLULZ is playing at Living Legends III
PBLULZ plays in the APPA D5 division
its pretty fun but alot of people dont call their hits.
guns break alot. many small parts. alot can go wrong with these guns.
if you join a airsoft forum alot of them will hate on you for playing paintball and are pretty stuck up about different things. its a much different bst place. once you open a airsoft gun it goes down 50 percent in value they say which is pretty stupid. so i would say dont sell your gun on an airsoft forum.(this is all personaly experience)
but airsoft is fun there are nice people out there but just like anything there are a ton of *******s.
Dmeyerspb.com #8
Planet Eclipse, All American Paintball Park , DXS, Fatboy pods
Pittsburgh Paintball Sports Complex Unsignedphotos.com
Guests bring food. Food attracts animals. This one time, a bear came. And then the bear had to be destroyed. Which means they shot it in the head with a rifle, and killed it, and it died.
PBLULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:15 AM #7
zackpntball92

well let me tell you something about airsoft.... SOME of the players are stuck up little asswipes that think their mr.army,and think their the bomb,but in real time there no better than the noob you just shot out...But some players realize its just a game and have fun playing it,those are the people you want to be around.some other things about airsoft it doesnt hurt as much as paintball (it depends on where you get shot at and with what)the guns can hold any where from 30 rnds to 3000 rnds,its a cheap alternate to paintball,those are just a few.and another thing is you can use your paintball skills on a airsoft feild(snapshooting,run and gun,etc)
WGP lpr
topedo reg
trinity DM on/off
ANS 14in 2-peice

Last edited by zackpntball92 : 04-27-2010 at 11:20 AM.
zackpntball92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:36 PM #8
Rubashov

Airsoft now is like what paintball was pre-2004.

Just wait, some *******s will ruin it too.
Rubashov is offline   Reply With Quote