Old 03-15-2010, 08:13 AM #1
Ragin Cajun
CLICK, CLICK, BOOM

Annual Supporting Member
Ragin Cajun is a founding member
Ragin Cajun is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Ragin Cajun is a Forum Captain
Running a low dwell with GST

I tried to sweetspot my reg this weekend. I didn't get noticeable dropoff till I was around 8 on my dwell. I decided to put it back up to 10. Ran the gun all day with zero problems. I know the stock dwell for the GST is 14.5. Can anyone else run their dwell this low? I can't see any adverse effects on performance.
Ragin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2010, 09:18 AM #2
levesque45
TFM

levesque45 plays in the PSP
levesque45 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
levesque45 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
levesque45 is Legendary
Yes I can... but i choose not to. I did run into issues depending on weather. real cold i got some but not much drop off. I run @ 12.5 and dont ever have to adjust anything.
levesque45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:58 AM #3
Team Capital Offense

Team Capital Offense owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
^^ same results. I can get my GST down to 9ish in warm weather but will suffer drop off in cold weather. After doing a LOT of testing, I decided to just put my GST at 13.5 and leave it there. I never have any problems regardless of temperature and it doesnt cut down my efficiency enough to make me want to change it.

I also talked to Jack about this issue, and he said everyone at Eclipse is just setting it in that 13-14 range and leaving it alone too.

Bottom line is you can sweet spot much lower than the high dwell recommended for GST, but you might start to get issues depending on other external factors...so it's recommended that you just set it high and leave it.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:29 PM #4
Ragin Cajun
CLICK, CLICK, BOOM

Annual Supporting Member
Ragin Cajun is a founding member
Ragin Cajun is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Ragin Cajun is a Forum Captain
But if you aren't having issues there is no reason not to run it lower. From my understanding, a lower dwell will result in better efficiency. Not that I need it but if the gun is running fine at 10ms I see no reason to make it higher.
Ragin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:44 PM #5
Team Capital Offense

Team Capital Offense owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Right, but my point is that running low dwells on the GST may work great one day and not the next, and if you are not thinking clearly, you might waste a bunch of time and energy trying to figure out why your gun is acting up. Whereas if you run the higher dwell, which is recommended by PE techs, your chances of developing a problem diminish greatly.

And I hear you on the efficiency, but at least on my gun, I have not noticed a major difference in efficiency from 10ms to 13.5ms. There is definitely SOME benefit with the lower dwell, but not enough to really make me want to keep the dwell lower.

The other benefits you have with the higher dwell are a smoother, sometimes quieter shot with less chance of breaking paint.