PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 10-18-2003, 01:34 AM #1
Gravid-CLip

has been a member for 10 years
Tournament Legal parts...

i've been talked into doing tournament play and i was regardlessly going to buy some upgrades. i might as well get those that are legal for tourny play- which are they??

she's stock right now with 20 oz. co2

these have been my biggest worries and brace yourself for mega noob questions-

1) should i go e grip or rt (which is faster and are either legal?)
2) what do i need to do in order to convert it to nitro?
3) flatline legal?
4) does a remote reduce power or flow?
5) what's the advantage or significance of a (example here..) 68 ci 3000 psi vs. 68 ci 4500 psi nitro tank? same size container but more holding capacity??

and lastly, 6) what does HVA stand for?

input, advice, help, or bashes of any kind are welcomed with open arms,
-matt
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-18-2003, 07:27 AM #2
ayzian
woooo!

ayzian posts videos on PbNation
I'm not trying to say Tippmann's are horrible, but if you are looking to go into the tourney scene and want a nice fast, light marker, I say buy a BKO.

I used to shoot a Tippmann 98c and i loved it. But when I started doing tournies, I wanted something a little smaller, lighter, and faster.

I saw the BKO when it first came out and I thought to myself, "This looks good." :-) and it is.

It's fast, light, cheap, and it's only $255 shipped.

Since then, I've sold my Tippmann and used onyl my BKO.
Old 10-18-2003, 08:27 AM #3
Vortex_PSU
Saved by WGP

Ok... i dont feel like typing a whole lot this morning so i'll keep it short

1. Egrip (assuming you mean for an A-5) or Ebolt (98c) since the RT is NOT tourney legal.
2. Get a preset nitro tank (700-800psi output for an A-5 or 98c, 98 wont care as much for a lower pressure but the A-5's cyclone might not spin below 500psi) With a preset tank all you have to do is just screw it in the ASA adapter no other mods necessary...
3. Flatline is LEGAL but a pain in the *** since if you tilt the marker anyway from vertical the ball spins sideways somewhat causing it to go whereever the heck it wants instead of where you want... My advice get a Smart Parts All-American or a Progressive both great barrels progressive cheaper but the AA if you can afford it (~40$ vs 70$)
4.) Remotes are nice for CO2 they act somewhat as both an antisyphon and as an expansion chamber keeping liquid out of the marker... However i prefer a good drop forward with my A-5 with a full hopper and a 68/4500 its perfectly balanced. And if a remote really restricts flow or power i have YET to notice...
5.)Ok quick lesson on HPA sizes... 68ci is the capacity period... yet at a higher pressure you actually have more moles of gas with in the same volume (for all you chemistry wizards out there) Therefore with the same sized tank you can get more total shots out of a 4500psi vs. a 3000psi. And my take is i have a 4500 and some places while they cant fill to 4500 i can always underfill to 3000 while you cant over fill a 3k to 4500.
6.) To be honest i have no clue what HVA stands for

EDITED due to a typo i found...
#93 "Vortex"
Penn State Paintball Association
www.pennstatepaintball.com
'04 WGP Karnivor - Titanium
'03 WGP Orracle - GunMetal Blue - Backup

Purchaser of many markers... (im up to 6)
"When in doubt empty the hopper..."

Last edited by Vortex_PSU : 10-18-2003 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-18-2003, 01:16 PM #4
Goober_AK
Hachew

Re: Tournament Legal parts...

E-Grip are legal, RT is not. E-Grip is better, but there about the same in speed

Buy nitro...

3) flatline legal?
Yes... it's a barrel, why wouldn't it be?

No, it gives C02 more room to turn into a gas. And better mavnerablity(sp)

5) what's the advantage or significance of a (example here..) 68 ci 3000 psi vs. 68 ci 4500 psi nitro tank? same size container but more holding capacity??
You get more shots out of a 68/4500.

6) what does HVA stand for?
HVA? No such thing. But if you ment RVA, RVA= Rear Velcoity Adjuster. Or if you ment HPA= Nitro
Old 10-18-2003, 06:11 PM #5
Sniper_Dragon
Matrix Martial Artist

- - - Go for the E-grip but the BS one not the Tippmann (if you use the 98c) For the A-5 don't worry about what I said just go with the E-grip and the RT is legal in some not in all just ask the head ref of the tourny, before the tourny begins.
- - - Nothing really, except buy a tank get it filled. But some prefer to use the low pessure kit, to get more fire out of their tank
3) flatline legal?
- - - Yea its legal, but no need for it unless your on a huge feild
- - - no if its clean, but if your remote is dirty inside its going to starve it of air
- - - 68 ci 4500 psi nitro tank not bigger but can hold more fuel
6) what does HVA stand for?
- - - uh, I don't know but Goober_AK made it clear as I tried to figure it out
-Blue Impy-with some ups and Evil Pipe kit
**If you see a big guy walk to the middle of the field doing the river dance or trying too, watch out he might know the Matrix style of Paintball, oh wait thatís me **
Old 10-18-2003, 08:39 PM #6
The Tip Man
Sermon-Free Humor

For god's sake, if you're gonna play in a tounament (presumably a speedball tournament, not one of those wacky bushball ones) get yourself a dropforward! Do not under estimate the value of one of these!

A 98 is a naturally long gun. Especially when you slap a 12 or 14 inch barrel on the front. If you want to play tight to those bunkers, grap a drop. I personally use a dead on paintball bullet drop, but if you're considering getting an ebolt, you should get something like a shocktech drop where you can screw on the special asa (the bullet drop comes with an ASA. You don't want that for an ebolt). Also, if you get a drop and an ebolt, you also want to buy some autococker (aka microline) hose to run from the asa to the ebolt.

Honestly, this was on of the best upgrades I've gotten so far. I can play nice and tight to the bunkers, and it's improved my tournement play by leaps and bounds.

This is all assuming that you're not going to use a remote. If you do, a drop is totally pointless.

Also, you might consider getting a regulator. I don't know what to recommend if you go for nitro (I hear that the bob long torpedo reg is good) but if you go for CO2 then get a palmer stabilizer. These things will improve shot consistency far beyond any expansion chamber or remote. Of course, if you get a reg, remember to buy the vertical adaptor.

Also remember that 98s (especially with ebolts) are gas hogs. My 98 doesn't have an ebolt, and it'll chew up about 1000 psi for a single hopper. A reg will help with this, but not by much. It's not a very big deal, unless you shot alot in a round. Just remember to refill your HPA or CO2 after every round. Or, if you're really worried, buy a Low Pressure kit.

And remember, if you play in a tournement with a 98 people will laugh at you, they will mock you, and they will tease you. So put some huge red welts on their big fat ignorant *****, and then YOU will have all the rights to laugh, mock and tease. Good luck in the tourny(s)!
Old 10-19-2003, 01:00 AM #7
Gravid-CLip

haha, an almighty thanks to you all.

i guess i did forget to mention it's an a-5 that i'm using.

one more question on remotes, are these for co2 only?

also, what's the difference between nitro brands, angel air vs. something like crossfire?

-matt
Old 10-19-2003, 01:17 AM #8
Reaper22
Banned

remotes can be for compressed air or co2 but you'll only notice a difference if u have co2. it allows the co2 more space to expand into a gas...

the difference between like an Angel Air and a Crossfire is.. you can get 2 or 3 Crossfire tanks for 1 angel air... this is just me.. but i dont see how spending 500 on just a tank is justified. i'd rather spend 200 on a crossfire and 100 on a nice inline reg.
Old 10-19-2003, 01:26 AM #9
mrjiggers
Better than you

remotes do decrease velocity. I ran one and maxed out at 180 fps *gag*. Just skip it, its pointless for anything other then scenario play, in my opinion

Remotes are for anything, but if tanks bother you get a nice long drop. Its basically the same price...

angel air = uber consistant, uber expensive...
crossfire = consistant (its HPA, its gotta be consistant) but not as uber consistant. Get it? I do

A5's are cool. I'm gonig to go screw with mine now
Old 10-19-2003, 01:37 AM #10
Reaper22
Banned

ya well crossfires can be uber consistant too if u get a really uber pimp inline reg so

mrjiggers... saying ur gonna screw with your A5 doesn't sound good...